Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2007, 10:57   #1186
BHPian

@tachobells: The price quoted on the JBL's look too low to be original, that's more than a couple of hundreds lower than the competition. Would advice you to stay away but then make your decision wisely. He could probably just be starting his business and so is taking a cut, just to attract customers. But somehow still suspicious of those quoted prices.
Old 29th November 2007, 18:33   #1187
BHPian

thanks RufRoc..
Is there any way I can spot a fake? Is there a hologram or something?
Old 30th November 2007, 10:33   #1188
BHPian

@tachobells: I'm sorry but I'm not aware of how to spot a fake (I assume just the look and feel would give it away). You could probably search in the section 'Ask the Gurus', you might find information on this. In the meantime, if I come across that thread I'll message you.
Old 30th November 2007, 16:54   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
The prices are much less than what I've seen anywhere in these forums. The shopkeeper says JBL duplicates are not seen anywhere, mostly pioneer/sony fakes are seen.
They are probably used.

Regarding the fakes he is right, sony/pioneer duplicates are sold a dime a dozen as this is what the janta is after. Whereas there is no fake JBL segment.

Id be weary of this guy as his prices are way too low even for grey. Plus free install so where is he making his money ?
Old 30th November 2007, 17:16   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Hey thanks rocksterraghu..i ll definately listen to the sound before buying them
Will the headunit from my 800 do ?JVC KDG-334??
Also the front speakers as u mentioed cost 6k so are they higher watt ones and the rear ones cost 4.5 k so are they lower watt ones compared to the front ones?
Btw i will need the boot most of the time as this will car will be used for travelling the length and breadth of india.So is there any other way other than the dabbas i can do to give me the boot space?
Mere sawalo ka koi javab de do bhai..!!
Old 2nd December 2007, 00:26   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Will the headunit from my 800 do ?JVC KDG-334??
Also the front speakers as u mentioed cost 6k so are they higher watt ones and the rear ones cost 4.5 k so are they lower watt ones compared to the front ones?
Btw i will need the boot most of the time as this will car will be used for travelling the length and breadth of india.So is there any other way other than the dabbas i can do to give me the boot space?
I haven't tried that HU, so I don't know. But the gurus say JVC HUs are very good VFM - It must be true.

Your front speakers are better than rear - don't go by the wattages. Since you drive most of the time, components in the front would be a better option.

If boot space is very important and you've already decided to modify the door panels, you can get 6.5" co-axials for the rear mounted on rear doors. However, I don't know how good an idea that is. It is just my suggestion.

For 6X9s, you can get an MDF tray - which would reduce some height, but you can always keep some light luggage on the MDF tray.
Old 2nd December 2007, 13:22   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Thanks raghu for the reply.But i want better speakers in the rear as i like the rear listening effect more than the front.Its like i want big speakers in the rear and little less powerful ones in the front.So from the speakers u have mentioned can i interchange their postions from the rear to the front and front to the rear?
And about the coaxials.Are pioneer ovals co axials?I have them in my 800 right now in the boot i really like their sound.
I want the same kind of setup or better one for the swift
Requirments as i said
Large speakers behind in the boot.
and comparitively smaller ones in the front.
An amplifier to go with the setup
and lastly a place where i can buy all this from.I stay at ghatkopar but i can go anywhere to get this stuff as long as its original.
And preferably JBL.
Old 8th December 2007, 12:58   #1193

Hello to all the Gurus:

I had posted on this forum sometime back when I had just got my Swift. I wanted to know if I should go for Blaupunkt or Pioneer HU, and the speakers combination for the same. I just went to a dealer in Andheri (E) for some quotes and I did not feel very confident after interacting with the guy. Here the quotes that he gave me:

Head Unit:
Pio 5990 - INR 8240 (with B&W)
Pio 6950 - INR 6600 (grey market)
Pio 7950 - INR 9500 (grey market)
Blaupunkt M46 - INR 8400 (with B&W)

Which one is good out of these? Can you recommend?

Speakers:
He said that JBL speakers are not good at all, and same is the case with Blaupunkt. On my insistence, he has given me the quotes for the following:

Kicker 6930 - INR 5700 (He was pushing for these speakers saying that the sound is very good. He said that Kicker is a Swedish company though I am hearing this name for the first time)

GTO 937 - INR 3400 (He said there is a lot of problem with these. Is this true?)

Front Speaker 6":
Pioneer for INR 1250
GTO637 for INR 2900

Wooden Ring - INR 200
Wooden Tray - INR 475
Deck Harness - INR 150
( I asked him for branded cables, et al, but he showed me a box and said that they use these cables in all cars)
Fitting Charges - INR 250

I asked him for suggestions but he left me completely confused. I forgot to ask him about coamps vs speakers, coz I was not clear about them myself. But I am hoping that he addressed that in the recommendations that he gave me.

Can you tell me what HU-Speakers is a good combination? He was pushing for the Blaupunkt head unit and saying that it has the best sound quality. Is it worth given the sound quality or should I go with Pioneer 6950 that is being recommended on this forum? My budget is 30k max.

Thanks in advance for your kind help. I am still not decided on the final set up, and that is why I am posting here to know your suggestion. In INR 30000, what is the best set up that I can go for?

Look forward to your suggestions.
Old 8th December 2007, 13:48   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk78 View Post
He said that Kicker is a Swedish company
Lol. Either you or the dealer is awfully confused between DLS and Kicker.
Old 8th December 2007, 15:53   #1195

Yes, I think the dealer confused it with DLS. I found out through web search that Kicker is a US brand. Anyways, I did not know about both DLS and Kicker.
Old 10th December 2007, 00:23   #1196

Awaiting a reply ...

Hi Guys,
I am awaiting your reply please help!

Quote:
Hello to all the Gurus:

I had posted on this forum sometime back when I had just got my Swift. I wanted to know if I should go for Blaupunkt or Pioneer HU, and the speakers combination for the same. I just went to a dealer in Andheri (E) for some quotes and I did not feel very confident after interacting with the guy. Here the quotes that he gave me:

Head Unit:
Pio 5990 - INR 8240 (with B&W)
Pio 6950 - INR 6600 (grey market)
Pio 7950 - INR 9500 (grey market)
Blaupunkt M46 - INR 8400 (with B&W)

Which one is good out of these? Can you recommend?

Speakers:
He said that JBL speakers are not good at all, and same is the case with Blaupunkt. On my insistence, he has given me the quotes for the following:

Kicker 6930 - INR 5700 (He was pushing for these speakers saying that the sound is very good. He said that Kicker is a Swedish company though I am hearing this name for the first time)

GTO 937 - INR 3400 (He said there is a lot of problem with these. Is this true?)

Front Speaker 6":
Pioneer for INR 1250
GTO637 for INR 2900

Wooden Ring - INR 200
Wooden Tray - INR 475
Deck Harness - INR 150
( I asked him for branded cables, et al, but he showed me a box and said that they use these cables in all cars)
Fitting Charges - INR 250

I asked him for suggestions but he left me completely confused. I forgot to ask him about coamps vs speakers, coz I was not clear about them myself. But I am hoping that he addressed that in the recommendations that he gave me.

Can you tell me what HU-Speakers is a good combination? He was pushing for the Blaupunkt head unit and saying that it has the best sound quality. Is it worth given the sound quality or should I go with Pioneer 6950 that is being recommended on this forum? My budget is 30k max.

Thanks in advance for your kind help. I am still not decided on the final set up, and that is why I am posting here to know your suggestion. In INR 30000, what is the best set up that I can go for?

Look forward to your suggestions.
Old 10th December 2007, 10:55   #1197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, I am awaiting your reply please help!
From what you have written, IMHO you should look go to some other dealer. Such expressions come from a dealer / retailer only when they are interested in pushing what they want to offload. Or he is getting better margins from other brands, especially the ones that come in gray variety only.

From the posts of happy users - tons of them - you would have realized that there is nothing wrong with JBL or Blaupunkt speakers. Genuine Pio speakers are just about OK, but quite likely at the prices quoted to you, he might be passing on fakes to you.

Your budget is good enough to get a good set of HU + components in front + coax rear + amp, maybe even a moderate sub.

If you are averse to risk and cost of failure, go for Blaupunkt HU, with JBL or Blaupunkt speakers. If not, Pio HU is VFM - lots of features for the price.

For speakers you have other alternatives like Illusion (PM B&T), Hertz and Alpine.

In any case, audition first before deciding - your ears should be the best judge of what you want.
Old 10th December 2007, 13:57   #1198
BHPian

@GK78
all the fitting charges and labour as mentioned are OK
the JBL937 for 3400 bucks look to be too cheap if hes giving you bill and warranty ( should be about 3900-4500) - what he is probably gonna do is give you bill and warranty card that is NOT valid ( for it to be valid there should be 2 copies and most importantly the box must have an import sticker)

if its grey 3400rs is too expensive ( it shud be 2650 - 2850rs) - these are good speakers

I would prefer pioneer HU's ( the 5950 is the best bet for 5800-6000 bucks gery) its good VFM and would leave you a good amount of cash for the all important speakers and amp ( if you so choose)

Personally i have not been able to find Hertz sppeakers in mumbai but have been blown away by Illusion and Ground Zero ( Mr B&t). Alpines rock too but were out of my budget but will definetley be within yours

You have a very good budget ( at least better than mine)
You can do mch better than pioneer and Blaupunkt speakers so please consider options by Der Alte

If you like JBL
try the GTO 607 component for the front ( B&W only 5600-6000rs)
and the GTO 937 rear (grey 2800rs)
Old 11th December 2007, 20:51   #1199
BHPian

ICE for Swift

Hi,

After going through all the "10 Risks" and feeling there is already an overflow of info, still I want to post queries which are specific to my requirements. And will love to live those "10 risks" for next few days . Kindly bear the fact that am a complete newbie out here and this is my first post.

And ya did i say, am an ICE newbie as well? Following that "its a sony" line, had put in Sony HU and Sony Xplod speakers in my previous cars and this time want to try different and real kewl with my Swift. Hence the need for Guru-Gyan!

Okay, going by the protocol, here are the basic requirements thats i have:

1. Your Car: Maruti Swift VDI

2. Your current setup (If any): None as such.

3. Your Budget: 20K

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Meee!!

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): All kinds of music from hip-hop to rock to hard metal...bollywood, underground everything...the main thing i look for is - Good bass, excellent clarity (with all notes distinguishable) and even when the volume knob is rotated to its right-most limit, the speakers shoudln't feel like getting stressed enuf to cough! Hope am not being too demanding!!

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : ummm, a tough choice but No, going by the need we have for boot space, i dont think sacrifice is possible

Now, after this query session, herez me briefing out few of my thoughts:

HU: Pls suggest me a good HU with USB drive support. I have used Sony all the time, but now want to move to something different. Looked at Kenwood and JVC in stores here, but seems Pioneer is a winner in these forums. I would love to know all the alternatives that are possible till 8K, with their pros and cons if possible. And there is always some product in any catagory on which Gurus will lay hands even when blinded. Which one is that in case of HUs? And what makes it THE ONE?

Speakers: Am planning to do 6" for front and 6x9 for rear with tray. And all i need is clarity and amazing bass (ok, not a sub level bass but still something punchy). Dealers here say anything from 460 watt Pioneer to 210 watt JBLs. Isn't the more the better in this case? Am NOT going to use a sub as the one i saw here, from Fusion, would occupy half my boot space and no one in family is going to agree to that. Hence all I have are my dear speakers and your advice on getting really lovable ones!

Amp: Awww tricky point! Ok, being a bit ICE naive, i would put it this way - Do i actually need an Amp to have a good loud clear sound? How much it will help with for eg. 150 W in front and 300 W in rear speakers? And if it will help, then guys, am clueless about 'em...drive me out to a good and not-too-costly one (around 4-6K)

So thats enough of queries i guess . Will love to hear from all you guys and as i said, want to live those "10 risks" going ahead...n hope no one minds any naivity which got visible

Thanks

Note from the Support Staff: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thread merged with existing.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th December 2007 at 23:48. Reason: See note.
Old 12th December 2007, 10:44   #1200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickzCar View Post
1. Your Car: Maruti Swift VDI
2. Your current setup (If any): None as such.
3. Your Budget: 20K
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Meee!!
5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): All kinds of music
6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? :No

HU: Pls suggest me a good HU with USB drive support.

Speakers: Am planning to do 6" for front and 6x9 for rear with tray.
Amp: drive me out to a good and not-too-costly one (around 4-6K)
HU: Pioneer (Alpine with USB support might not fit your budget) 7950 8-9K
Speakers: Infinity, Illusion, Hertz 10-11K.
you can add an amp later (think 8-10K for a good amp, it's intall and RCA cables). it is better to have good speakers now then have to replace them later when you add an amp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks