Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 17:23   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I'm confused. In your earlier posts you said RCD 320 is CAN Bus compatible but the unit image shows its got ISO Type connectors. So this means RCD320 is not CAN Bus compatible?

Sorry, I am a complete n00b.
I said it is a version of CANbus. Those ISO connectors carry a CANbus signal. That is confirmed from VW. That is why you'll get park-distance display with a compatible HU. But its not the full/regular thing, that is why you won't get climate control display, even with a compatible HU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Regarding cluster and MFD integration and all, BHPian Gannu_1 has carried out DIY upgrades in his Polo and must be able to comment better. Or you can contact Vagtune to clear all your doubts.
It needs a different cluster.

Last edited by StarScream : 10th September 2014 at 17:40.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 17:25   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Siddarth! AFAIK, Dynavin integrates to your car type. So whether you swap it for a Swing player or a Bolero radio, it will integrate itself. I think Laura comes with CAN connector. So you just have to use the CAN connector cable provided with the HU for hooking it up. If you have any CAN info. displayed on your OE Swing player, all that will be automatically displayed on Dynavin.

Regarding installation, I think you might need a different dashboard plate to accommodate the VW shape HU like the ones seen in the following link: http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTA...8-Dash-plates/. Once you have this, it is a simple swap of the HUs. After removing the trim around the HU, you get to remove the 4 torx screws that secure the HU in place. Once the screws are removed, pull the HU out, disconnect the CAN connector and antenna connectors and plug them back behind the Dynavin HU (using the CAN connector cable provided with Dynavin). Since you said you are not familiar with such stuff, you can take it to any reputed ICE installation place or Skoda service centre and get it done. It wont take much time.

I do a lot of homework prior getting some product and hence I can understand it very well when you have questions about it. There is nothing annoying about it and please feel free to ask.

Let me just quote the list of compatible cars for Dynavin N6-VW from vagtune.com:

VW Caddy
VW EOS
VW Golf V
VW Golf VI
VW Golf Variant
VW Golf PLUS
VW Cross Golf
VW Jetta
VW Passat CC
VW Passat 3C 06/2005 ->
VW Passat 3C Variant 06/2005 ->
VW Polo (New)
VW Scirocco
VW Touran
VW Cross Turan
VW Tiguan
Seat Leon II * 03/2009 - 10/2012
Seat Altea *
Seat Altea XL *
Seat Altea Freetrack *
Seat Toledo III *
Seat Alhambra
Skoda Octavia II *
Skoda Octavia Combi II *
Skoda Suberb (New)
Skoda Yeti
Skoda Fabia
Skoda Fabia Combi
Skoda Roomster

* Optional panel required if the OE radio does not have a VW design.

Since MK1 Octavia does not have a VW specific double din slot, you actually have much more options and not restricted to VW specific HUs. You have the liberty to go for any good single or double din HU. From Octavia II (Laura) onwards, you have the VW HU specific fascia.
I am on the look out for a similar HU for my Innova. I understand this is a good OEM fit for the VW/Skoda family. Will this be a good option for Innova, I might need a suitable face plate probably, but how about the connectivity part? Thanks.
Old 10th September 2014, 17:32   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I said it is a version of CANbus. Those ISO connectors carry a CANbus signal. That is confirmed from VW. That is why you'll get park-distance display with a compatible HU. But its not the full/regular thing, that is why you won't get climate control display, even with a compatible HU.
Got it :-) Wish VW offered a better unit at first place.
Old 10th September 2014, 18:26   #64
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Got it :-) Wish VW offered a better unit at first place.
Hi CRV,

I now have the actual unit with me. I can take a few quick pictures and post if you want to see the package contents. Let me know and I shall do it later tonight.

Cheers!

- Blr
blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 18:28   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
Hi CRV,

I now have the actual unit with me. I can take a few quick pictures and post if you want to see the package contents. Let me know and I shall do it later tonight.

Cheers!

- Blr
Please, it would be a great help for everyone
Old 10th September 2014, 18:44   #66
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr View Post
I am on the look out for a similar HU for my Innova. I understand this is a good OEM fit for the VW/Skoda family. Will this be a good option for Innova, I might need a suitable face plate probably, but how about the connectivity part? Thanks.
Arvind,

IMHO, I think it is not a good idea to go for this unit on your Innova. Dynavin HU are engineered for German vehicles and in fact they have specific models for each vehicle manufacturer. This particular unit is for VAG vehicles and besides the actual physical fitment into the vehicle, you will not realize its full potential (CAN-BUS integration) if you were to install it in another vehicle. You will be much better off installing a Toyota specific product or even another generic aftermarket product.

Cheers!
Old 11th September 2014, 00:04   #67
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Please, it would be a great help for everyone
Hi CRV2010,

Sorry but I've just realized that Ajay had some good pictures in his other thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...om-mods-6.html

In one picture, he has all the cables laid out neatly; this should address your concerns about cabling. Please ask if you need any explanation about the parts shown or if you need pictures from any specific angles. No point reposting the same/similar pics again.

Cheers!
Old 11th September 2014, 00:19   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I now have the actual unit with me.
Congratz blr! I know you have to wait till you get your car to install and enjoy it. Hope you wont have to wait too long. Enjoy the HU!

1 thing I have noticed with the after market HUs is that their key illumination in Red looks good in all HUs while the Green does not look very OE. All of them look dull compared to the Green illumination of other OE switches in Skoda. Blaupunkt scores here with the ability to select the exact shade from the whole spectrum of colors. Still I would say that the Green does not look as OE as the Red key illumination.

One other thing I would like to see improved in Dynavin is the car image overlay for PDC sensor display shown in the reverse cam image while backing up the car. This was best seen in Audiosources DNS 810 which was exact replica of VW Skoda OE HUs like RNS 510.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 00:55   #69
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Congratz blr! I know you have to wait till you get your car to install and enjoy it. Hope you wont have to wait too long. Enjoy the HU!
Thanks Ajay!

Quote:
Still I would say that the Green does not look as OE as the Red key illumination.
Since VW Polo has red key illumination, I should be good if red is good on Dynavin

Quote:
One other thing I would like to see improved in Dynavin is the car image overlay for PDC sensor display shown in the reverse cam image while backing up the car. This was best seen in Audiosources DNS 810 which was exact replica of VW Skoda OE HUs like RNS 510.
Never seen those other units; so, this should look OE to me Not worried much unless this is so bad unlike OEM that I could crash into something while backing up.
Old 11th September 2014, 01:18   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Never seen those other units; so, this should look OE to me Not worried much unless this is so bad unlike OEM that I could crash into something while backing up.
No, it will not effect anything. I am just talking about the car icon displayed. The aesthetic part of it. Have a look at this image.
Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-vw-hu-reverse-cam-display.jpg
In this VW HU, you see the car icon which overlays on the reverse camera image for PDC sensor display right? That car icon is what I din't like much in Dynavin. Hope they change the icon in one of the updates.

Audiosources HU had almost OE looks when it comes to this. Blaupunkt did not have overlay but you were given the option to switch between back up camera image or PDC sensor diaplay, not both together like these other HUs.

Pic source - Google Images.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 20:57   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I now have the actual unit with me. - Blr
Hey blr, what about India maps? Have you got any map card with it when you got the unit? If you got it, which one?
Old 11th September 2014, 21:24   #72
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Hey blr, what about India maps? Have you got any map card with it when you got the unit? If you got it, which one?
Hi Ajay,

I got the North American iGo Primo with it. I was actually waiting to hear about your experience installing MMI on the device before deciding if I should go with MMI or iGo Primo.

Not too sure about how to go about doing it so reading up still. I found a few places like GPSUnderground etc where pirated maps are available, but would like to stay legal if possible. Saw the iGo Primo for $35 from GPSMapstore as well, but not sure if it is a legit copy. Will go for pirated versions only if I have no other options.

Guess I should be able to buy/download a legal map for iGo India and add it to the NA map SD card that came with the unit; not sure if the card has enough capacity to hold the additional map too.

Anyway, I am planning to play with the options in the next few days. Meanwhile, let me hear your experience too. We can take it to PM if that is needed to avoid cluttering the forum while we work this out offline and then comeback and post the details once we have a solution. Please let me know.
Old 12th September 2014, 18:18   #73
BHPian

Hi blr,

did you install the unit ?
Old 12th September 2014, 19:38   #74
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Hi blr,

did you install the unit ?
Hi CRV2010,

No, I haven't installed the unit yet and it will be a while before I actually get it installed on my car. Funny it may sound, but l haven't taken delivery of my car yet Had to put it on hold because I am and will be out of the country for a few more months. I just happened to get this unit at a good price abroad and thus bought it; thought I'd just carry it with me and drop it off back home on my upcoming short trip there.

However, I have ordered a set of ISO harness to do a bench test of the unit. It will be a few more days before I will get those by mail. Shall be doing the power-up and functional test soon after that and will update you of my findings.

Thanks!
Old 13th September 2014, 10:36   #75
BHPian

Replaced the Dynavin MIC with OE MIC. Following link will take you to the DIY details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3531637

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks