Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 18:39   #106
BHPian

Re: Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Ofcourse you can retain the speakers - stock/aftermarket - when you change the HU. I guess you have upgraded from stock speakers already. Well the ideal thing would be to install the HU, listen to the sound reproduction and then worry about whether you need to change speakers. IMO you wouldn't need to swap the speakers if they already perform satisfactorily.
sounds a good idea. let me think on those lines. more than anything, i'm sure this HU would substantially enhance the looks of the dashboard as I don't have an issue with the current audio output.
Old 16th October 2014, 18:50   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
sounds a good idea. let me think on those lines. more than anything, i'm sure this HU would substantially enhance the looks of the dashboard as I don't have an issue with the current audio output.
Do share your experience and opinion once you get it installed. Cheers.
Old 28th October 2014, 06:46   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Btw, One thing i continuously notice is when i start the car (turn the engine on), i hear burrr sound from speaker for a sec and then it goes smooth. Ajay, Are you also facing the same?
Checked and now I can confirm that this sound does not appear in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
One issue I am noticing is that if I switch off the unit and disconnect ACC power (leaving the +12V and GND connected) for a while, it loses clock settings (time, not time zone). Looks like there is no battery back up for the RTC. This means, each time I start the unit from this state, it MUST have a GPS fix for the time to be displayed. Until then the clock shows '--:--'. So, it is almost confirmed that abbey4u was getting the '--:--' for lack of a GPS fix. May be Ajay can confirm (when he has a chance to verify) if his HU also has the same issue.

Now, when the HU acquires the GPS time, the DynOS screen displayed the time as per the Time Zone setting in DynOS. Just switching to the NAV (GPS) screen and back to DynOS corrected the DynOS time also to the GPS time!
Checked this too. When you turn on ACC and when the unit powers up, the time on DynaOS shows --:--. But within few seconds the time starts showing. I'm not sure how long it takes exactly as I was checking the time in the instrument cluster which does not display seconds, however time on the HU started showing when the instrument cluster time was same as when it was when I switched the HU ON.. I guess it's less than 30 secs.

I am still trying to get the time fix the way BHPian blr suggested. I get the correct time within the Nav screen but yet not getting the same feed to DynaOS. Will update if I manage to get it right.
Old 15th November 2014, 11:36   #109
BHPian

Hi Ajay,

Any updates on your setup? Have you tried to use MapMyIndia?

Really looking forward to see any new findings and if its really possible to use an alternate GPS Map setup.

Keep up the good work!
shefiu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 12:56   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
Hi Ajay,
Any updates on your setup? Have you tried to use MapMyIndia?
Really looking forward to see any new findings and if its really possible to use an alternate GPS Map setup. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Shefiu!

When I had the previous HU, I had tried sourcing Mapmyindia maps. Though the dealer kept saying it will take another week or so to get it, that never turned up. He had taken all details of my HU to communicate with Mapmyindia people. After that I have been away for sometime. Meanwhile I got used to iGo maps.

I keep the Nav ON whenever I am travelling to check coverage of maps as well as to see if there are any hang up issues. Coverage is good and may be that's why I din't feel the need to follow up Mapmyindia status. With Nav continuously ON during long drives also, no matter I play video songs in the background or attend BT calls simultaneously, this unit performed without hang ups or slowing down. This was not the case with other HUs used in my car earlier.

To answer your query, Dynavin uses Win CE platform for navigation alone. So it shouldn't be a problem to use other maps which run on Win CE. Does anyone here know how to source a Mapmyindia map licensed to a particular HU or if it is possible to do so? The "dealer" (claimed) I met coudn't give me a clear answer to these questions. And from the outcome, I think he himself isn't very clear about it.

Other issues (post firmware update) discussed already still remain. They have not come out with another update as yet, after Dynos 1.0.1. Waiting for next update.
Old 27th November 2014, 18:42   #111

Quote:
Thanks Shefiu!

When I had the previous HU, I had tried sourcing Mapmyindia maps. Though the dealer kept saying it will take another week or so to get it, that never turned up. He had taken all details of my HU to communicate with Mapmyindia people. After that I have been away for sometime. Meanwhile I got used to iGo maps.

I keep the Nav ON whenever I am travelling to check coverage of maps as well as to see if there are any hang up issues. Coverage is good and may be that's why I din't feel the need to follow up Mapmyindia status. With Nav continuously ON during long drives also, no matter I play video songs in the background or attend BT calls simultaneously, this unit performed without hang ups or slowing down. This was not the case with other HUs used in my car earlier.

To answer your query, Dynavin uses Win CE platform for navigation alone. So it shouldn't be a problem to use other maps which run on Win CE. Does anyone here know how to source a Mapmyindia map licensed to a particular HU or if it is possible to do so? The "dealer" (claimed) I met coudn't give me a clear answer to these questions. And from the outcome, I think he himself isn't very clear about it.

Other issues (post firmware update) discussed already still remain. They have not come out with another update as yet, after Dynos 1.0.1. Waiting for next update.
Hi

I am also using the Dynavin N6 for my Yeti of course inspired by Ajay's review and good service by Sugesh.

Once small doubt. The time zone issue is still not resolved in the HU after the firmware upgrade also. Is that the case with you also.

Is it possible to put a scratch guard for the touch panel.

One more request ajay . Do you have the pictures of installation of MFSW for yeti.
I am not able to open the airbag unit.
Old 27th November 2014, 20:47   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srik0305 View Post
Once small doubt. The time zone issue is still not resolved in the HU after the firmware upgrade also. Is that the case with you also.
Yes. That was not resolved in the first firmware update and problem still persists. Hope they include this in the second update and release it soon too.

Quote:
Is it possible to put a scratch guard for the touch panel.
Why not. Just like any other touch screens, if you can find a suitably sized one, you could use it. I had thought of finding one but before i did, sadly mine has a small scratch already. Haven't checked about the availability of screen guards yet. A bit of googling is all it takes. Do share if you find any info. on that.

Quote:
One more request ajay . Do you have the pictures of installation of MFSW for yeti.
I am not able to open the airbag unit.
My Yeti had MSFW. Elegance 4x4 came with it. However I had removed the airbag unit and steering wheel while retrofitting some other stuff. Haven't clicked any pics but these links show exactly what is to be done.

http://cms2.netnews.cz/files/shop-at...-removing1.jpg

http://cms2.netnews.cz/files/shop-at...-removing2.jpg

Pics source: www.cars-equipment.com

You have to turn the wheel to see the space behind the wheel (as shown in pic) on top at 12 O' clock position. Then use a small slotted screw driver to push the lock down (you need to push it down a little hard) as shown in the pic and pull out the air bag unit (The whole horn button). That's how you get it out.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 18:34   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
It didn't work for me. I am yet to receive India Maps with Navigation SD Card, what i am using right now is a trial version valid for next 90 days. May be it's because of this.
I received latest map (original map) today and in order to use it i reset my dynavin (i had removed it last week as i was waiting for the fascia and it looked bad with all the gaps). Timezone issue got resolved as i just set the timezone in navigation software.
abbey4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 00:33   #114
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I have just booked a VW Vento 1.6 TDI Highline and am expecting the delivery in another 10 days (as soon as the registration formality is done) and am thinking of replacing the HU with a 7" touchscreen with very good SQ, Nav etc. Not a techie as such so don't know much about all the technical aspects. But I am a Music lover and need a great sounding HU. I am checking the Blau Phil 835 too but came across this thread and think this might be better than the 835 going by the various reviews here. But there seems to be many bugs and thats a downer.

I would also like to use MapMyIndia maps as am used to its maps on my XUV and would be easier and also think they are quite accurate and reliable. So Instead of the iGO or any other maps can I use MMI maps and if yes how?

Also I would prefer to install the system once and then use it regularly without having to remove it for resets or updates etc. updating once in a while is fine if it doesn't involve removing the whole unit out etc. and if it can be updated through pen drive/SD card etc.

Also what exactly is CAN. does it mean checking and setting vehicle info on the HU? like the ACC, Fuel average, TPMS etc. like they have on the XUV and if I am correct this feature is not supported on Vento Highline. sorry for being a Noob

So I request Ajay and others who has experienced and used this system to kindly suggest me whether its worth going for it or should I look elsewhere.

Also I am based in Mumbai so where can I buy this locally and get installed if I decide to go with it. Also what would be the final cost.

Thank you.

Last edited by magikrider : 8th December 2014 at 00:57.
Old 8th December 2014, 13:18   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Hello Guys,
Also what exactly is CAN. does it mean checking and setting vehicle info on the HU? like the ACC, Fuel average, TPMS etc. like they have on the XUV and if I am correct this feature is not supported on Vento Highline. sorry for being a Noob
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

You touched upon it in your answer. CAN compatibility in a system will allow you to get rear parking sensor display, ACC controls, steering-wheel button functionality etc. However, irrespective of Blau, Dynavin or a top-end VW system like the RCD 510, you definitely won't get ACC display (limitation of the CAN version in Polo/Vento) and depending on the age of your 1.6 TDI even rear parking sensor display won't work. It worked in cars until late last year but then they changed the reverse sensor module and it no longer sends a signal, as I discovered in my TSI, which is a March 2014 car.

Steering wheel controls and speed-sensitive volume control will work without a hitch though.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:41   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
[url]depending on the age of your 1.6 TDI even rear parking sensor display won't work. It worked in cars until late last year but then they changed the reverse sensor module and it no longer sends a signal, as I discovered in my TSI, which is a March 2014 car.
That's interesting information. Will just replacing the rear sensor module fix this issue or would it be a much more expensive affair?
Old 8th December 2014, 17:09   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
That's interesting information. Will just replacing the rear sensor module fix this issue or would it be a much more expensive affair?
I don't think it's just the module. I think the body control module will have to change as well and then the new reverse-sensor module will need to be wired up to the new BCM to connect it all to CANBUS. But that's a logical guess, I haven't tried it. Don't intend to either because I think the reverse camera display is quite useful.

Last edited by StarScream : 8th December 2014 at 17:11.
Old 8th December 2014, 21:26   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I have just booked a VW Vento 1.6 TDI Highline and am expecting the delivery in another 10 days (as soon as the registration formality is done) and am thinking of replacing the HU with a 7" touchscreen with very good SQ, Nav etc.

I would also like to use MapMyIndia maps as am used to its maps on my XUV and would be easier and also think they are quite accurate and reliable. So Instead of the iGO or any other maps can I use MMI maps and if yes how?

Also I would prefer to install the system once and then use it regularly without having to remove it for resets or updates etc. updating once in a while is fine if it doesn't involve removing the whole unit out etc. and if it can be updated through pen drive/SD card etc.

So I request Ajay and others who has experienced and used this system to kindly suggest me whether its worth going for it or should I look elsewhere.

Also I am based in Mumbai so where can I buy this locally and get installed if I decide to go with it. Also what would be the final cost.

Thank you.
Congratz on purchase of your new car! I was in the same situation when I set out hunting for good aftermarket solution for a VAG car HU. If you have read the review, you would know Dynavin is my 4th HU. It is an expensive affair to swap these VAG specific HUs and that itself says I wouldn't do it unless I found it really necessary.

Listing out the HU options I found during my hunt

OE HUs
RCD 510
RNS 310
RNS 510

Non OE or aftermarket HUs
Pioneer - found a few models
Kenwood - DNX535VBT or DNF9001V
Blaupunkt - Philadelphia 835
Dynavin - N6 VW
Audiosources - DNS 810 (found from a few VW forums)
(There are many other makes and models available but I din't find any other convincing enough to even consider it for purchase)

Pioneer and Kenwood were not easily available, hence ruled those out as any service issues would prove even more difficult in case of any component failure or break downs.

Installed 835, swapped for DNS 810 and finally swapped for N6 VW from Dynavin. Currently using it and haven't found a better option as yet. You will find bugs in most aftermarket HUs, especially ones running on Win CE as that itself is not a bug free system. Add to it the low quality and/or low spec components that leads to performance issues. You cannot get the bug free experience of the OE HUs from these aftermarket ones. From what I understand, the R&D that goes into developing automotive grade components by any car maker cannot be matched by the aftermarket HU makers. All these taken into account, I find Dynavin to be an overall better performer when talking about non OE HUs I have used. From the forum, you could see that there are happy owners for 835 too. It all depends on ones priorities and I would leave it to personal preference.

Regarding maps, I was not able to successfully source MMI maps. If anyone can shed some light on if/how/where MMI is available for purchase for Win CE based systems (for those which does not already come with MMI maps), that would be great. However I am fine with the coverage and performance of iGo maps I use now, though I have been an MMI maps user for many years and still prefer MMI over other maps as I am more used to their map graphics and UI.

Updating FW is done via microSD card. It is pretty simple and straight forward for most of these HUs.

CAN support in these HUs is for integrating it with the car electronics, like illumination of HU buttons/dimming of screen, display audio/tel. data in MFD, speed based volume, MFSW support etc. OBD data depending on what your car and the particular HU supports, a few or all of the following data could be displayed - AC settings, OPS, OPS overlay on back up cam video, battery voltage, coolant temp., engine oil temp., RPM, mileage, seat belt/door/parking break status, etc. It cannot be used to alter or set any of the above OBD info., but only display them depending on what is available.

For purchase, I would recommend searching online and comparing the prices. Any reputed VAG aftermarket HU would cost you somewhere between 40K to 50K INR (rates could vary but this is just to give you an idea of what to expect) and should be available for delivery at your door step. There could be seasonal discounts too sometimes.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 23:01   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding maps, I was not able to successfully source MMI maps. If anyone can shed some light on if/how/where MMI is available for purchase for Win CE based systems (for those which does not already come with MMI maps), that would be great. However I am fine with the coverage and performance of iGo maps I use now, though I have been an MMI maps user for many years and still prefer MMI over other maps as I am more used to their map graphics and UI.
I had lost my MMI Micro SD card from my 835 (Either I took it out and misplaced it or someone flicked it during my 6 month checkup). Post that I was trying to source the MMI Full Version. I could not find anything on their website and sent an email to the customer care. A person called me after a couple of days. He said if I want to buy, they will provide a online link to make the payment, post that they will send the micro SD with the full version. They don't have it for purchase publicly on the website. I have not yet attempted to follow up and actually buy through this process. But thought will share the info.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 00:01   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

You touched upon it in your answer. CAN compatibility in a system will allow you to get rear parking sensor display, ACC controls, steering-wheel button functionality etc. However, irrespective of Blau, Dynavin or a top-end VW system like the RCD 510, you definitely won't get ACC display (limitation of the CAN version in Polo/Vento) and depending on the age of your 1.6 TDI even rear parking sensor display won't work. It worked in cars until late last year but then they changed the reverse sensor module and it no longer sends a signal, as I discovered in my TSI, which is a March 2014 car.

Steering wheel controls and speed-sensitive volume control will work without a hitch though.
You mean the Sensors in newer Ventos have been changed and do not show on the display? coz it would not make much sense of having the sensors if you cannot see on the display which corner is getting too close and will have to look behind for parking anyways. The reverse camera would be more important in that case, which I was anyways thinking of getting as the XUV have spoilt me now with it and am habitual of parking the car without having to even look back even in the tightest of spots.

Also now that I am remembering, I was surprised at the TD too and had asked the SA as to why can't I see the sensor display on the HU if its beeping. To which he had said you can't see it and my TD car had also kissed the car behind!

Quote:
Congratz on purchase of your new car! I was in the same situation when I set out hunting for good aftermarket solution for a VAG car HU. If you have read the review, you would know Dynavin is my 4th HU. It is an expensive affair to swap these VAG specific HUs and that itself says I wouldn't do it unless I found it really necessary.

Listing out the HU options I found during my hunt

OE HUs
RCD 510
RNS 310
RNS 510

Non OE or aftermarket HUs
Pioneer - found a few models
Kenwood - DNX535VBT or DNF9001V
Blaupunkt - Philadelphia 835
Dynavin - N6 VW
Audiosources - DNS 810 (found from a few VW forums)
(There are many other makes and models available but I din't find any other convincing enough to even consider it for purchase)

Pioneer and Kenwood were not easily available, hence ruled those out as any service issues would prove even more difficult in case of any component failure or break downs.

Installed 835, swapped for DNS 810 and finally swapped for N6 VW from Dynavin. Currently using it and haven't found a better option as yet. You will find bugs in most aftermarket HUs, especially ones running on Win CE as that itself is not a bug free system. Add to it the low quality and/or low spec components that leads to performance issues. You cannot get the bug free experience of the OE HUs from these aftermarket ones. From what I understand, the R&D that goes into developing automotive grade components by any car maker cannot be matched by the aftermarket HU makers. All these taken into account, I find Dynavin to be an overall better performer when talking about non OE HUs I have used. From the forum, you could see that there are happy owners for 835 too. It all depends on ones priorities and I would leave it to personal preference.

Updating FW is done via microSD card. It is pretty simple and straight forward for most of these HUs.

CAN support in these HUs is for integrating it with the car electronics, like illumination of HU buttons/dimming of screen, display audio/tel. data in MFD, speed based volume, MFSW support etc. OBD data depending on what your car and the particular HU supports, a few or all of the following data could be displayed - AC settings, OPS, OPS overlay on back up cam video, battery voltage, coolant temp., engine oil temp., RPM, mileage, seat belt/door/parking break status, etc. It cannot be used to alter or set any of the above OBD info., but only display them depending on what is available.

For purchase, I would recommend searching online and comparing the prices. Any reputed VAG aftermarket HU would cost you somewhere between 40K to 50K INR (rates could vary but this is just to give you an idea of what to expect) and should be available for delivery at your door step. There could be seasonal discounts too sometimes.
Thats a very diplomatic answer If I may.

I would like to either go for the Blau 835 or the Dynavin N6-VW as these two look the best and better than chinese stuffs like caska, witson etc. Don't know about the OE HUs and where to source them from and also what about the warranty and support so I think its safer to get either the Blau or the Dynavin. Now Music is very important to me and also the NAV. But since you said its difficult to source MMI maps, It makes the case for the Blau little stronger as I would prefer MMI Maps. But won't it be possible to just buy a MMI Maps micro SD from them directly and use it on this system like on Blau 835? Does it not use the maps through the SD card directly like 835 and do you have to load/install on the system first?

Also when strictly comparing the music playing capability, how would you rate this against the OE system which you had and the Blau 835? And how would the support be as I am from mumbai and there are no authorized dealers in my city if I am not mistaken as I checked the Vagtune website and they are located in south. Also would have preferred to buy it from a local dealer and get it installed rather than buying it online and getting it installed from someone. So MMI maps and finding a local dealer and support is important for me. If you know about where I can find them in mumbai then please do tell me. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I had lost my MMI Micro SD card from my 835 (Either I took it out and misplaced it or someone flicked it during my 6 month checkup). Post that I was trying to source the MMI Full Version. I could not find anything on their website and sent an email to the customer care. A person called me after a couple of days. He said if I want to buy, they will provide a online link to make the payment, post that they will send the micro SD with the full version. They don't have it for purchase publicly on the website. I have not yet attempted to follow up and actually buy through this process. But thought will share the info.
Don't you get a full version of MMI maps with the Blau 835?

Last edited by magikrider : 9th December 2014 at 00:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks