Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2014, 22:43   #76
BHPian

Re: Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)

Update: Been travelling mostly during the weekend. Used navigation along with videos from SD card being played in the background and attended BT hands free calls occasionally. With hours of navigation and video simultaneously running and attending BT hands free calls, no hick ups and no hanging up experienced. Thanks.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 21:02   #77
Senior - BHPian

Okay... Enough of Dynavin! I'm getting so jealous and urged towards owning it that I'm considering a kidney.
Old 16th September 2014, 00:20   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Okay... Enough of Dynavin! I'm getting so jealous and urged towards owning it that I'm considering a kidney.
Haha that could get you a Skoda Columbus / VW RNS 510. Nothing to beat those if you can live without India maps and Navigation. I wish India maps were available for those HUs.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 20:43   #79
BHPian

I installed dynavin today. It sounds better than bolero, however with stock speakers i can't put more bass (once i activated dynabass, i had to tone it down a little.). But still sound quality is much better.

Plus over Bolero
- Dynabass and Equalizer. It sounds so much better.
- Great bluetooth. I had dension installed and had echo issues with that. No such issue here.
- Navigation/Ipod/Video
- Internal HDD. Although small but still works

Minus From Bolero
- While the interface has lots of features, its not as polished as bolero
- No CD changer, I used to fill all my audio Cd in hanger rather than storing in glovebox etc.
- No speed sensitive volume control (or am i missing it)
- Auto brightness of bolero worked pretty well, this doesn't seems perfect.
- Basic bugs

Two bugs in their latest firmware
1. Right steering wheel scroll (which moves the maxidot menu) also changes the song. Spoke to sugesh and he said its a known issue and will be fixed in next update. This is really annoying to me. I don't really expect this bug after paying almost 50k.

2. While playing ipod touch 5, it doesn't recognize podcast. Again a real downer as i will missing listening ABove & Beyond in my car. I was earlier able to play those through dension 5 which i installed at the time of purchasing my car.

Is there a way i can inform dynavin of these issues?

As far as Installation goes, it took me 2 hours. I had to remove dension 5 and install dynavin. For this i had to remove the glove box. After installing i forgot about reconnecting the airbag cable which resulted in airbag error, which i resolved with VCDS and advice from sugesh.

Last edited by abbey4u : 20th September 2014 at 20:50.
abbey4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 22:48   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I installed dynavin today. It sounds better than bolero, however with stock speakers i can't put more bass (once i activated dynabass, i had to tone it down a little.). But still sound quality is much better.

Minus From Bolero

1. Right steering wheel scroll (which moves the maxidot menu) also changes the song. Spoke to sugesh and he said its a known issue and will be fixed in next update. This is really annoying to me. I don't really expect this bug after paying almost 50k.

Yes the Dynabass might be too much for stock speakers to handle if not kept to low levels. I have kept it low too. Even then it produces some good bass.

Regarding the interface, it can only be better than the alternative aftermarket options available. The UI smoothness and flawless performance will not match the OE standards, it cannot be compared because the R&D and investment that goes into developing OE equipment is much much more than these aftermarket solutions. That is why I always say that nothing available aftermarket can beat the Columbus/RNS 510 performance. Not only UI but audio quality and flawless performance, all that are class apart in their flagship OE HU. The one and only reason I did not go for Columbus HU is lack of navigation for India.

Auto brightness has too many options. They should have just kept it simple like the OE HU. I have set it to auto and sensor mode and kept the dim level to minimum. In this setting, it is bright enough for bright day light and light is low enough to not distract in complete darkness. If it adjusts like RCD 510 in stages, I really haven't noticed.

MFSW right scroll button bug has been put up in one of the updates earlier in this review. Had informed Sugesh to notify Dynavin same then itself so that they include this in a FW update soon. It is irritating. So is the radio preset station swapping issue. Hope they rectify it soon. Only relief is that it is not a hardware issue, hence can be solved in one of the FW updates.

I had written to Dynavin regarding the bugs I found but there was no response from them. Later I heard from Sugesh that he is in touch with their technical team and these things are being looked into. From then, I inform him regarding any issue.
Old 20th September 2014, 23:50   #81
BHPian

ajay, can you share radio jpg files?
Old 21st September 2014, 00:38   #82
BHPian

Quote:
ajay, can you share radio jpg files?
You mean the Radio station jpg files right? You might have different stations in your location. Anyways I'll share the ones I had re-sized to 122x92 resolution as required for Dynavin.

Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-fm1.jpg

Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-fm2.jpg

Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-fm3.jpg

Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-fm4.jpg

Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-fm5.jpg

Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-fm6.jpg

All these pics are taken from Google images, cropped and re-sized.

PM me your mail id as the pics posted here will have Team BHP tag. I will mail it to you.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 21st September 2014 at 00:40.
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:27   #83
BHPian

Quote:

Plus over Bolero
- Dynabass and Equalizer. It sounds so much better.
- Great bluetooth. I had dension installed and had echo issues with that. No such issue here.
- Navigation/Ipod/Video
- Internal HDD. Although small but still works

Minus From Bolero
- No CD changer, I used to fill all my audio Cd in hanger rather than storing in glovebox etc.
- No speed sensitive volume control (or am i missing it)
- Basic bugs

2. While playing ipod touch 5, it doesn't recognize podcast. Again a real downer as i will missing listening ABove & Beyond in my car. I was earlier able to play those through dension 5 which i installed at the time of purchasing my car.

As far as Installation goes, it took me 2 hours. I had to remove dension 5 and install dynavin. For this i had to remove the glove box. After installing i forgot about reconnecting the airbag cable which resulted in airbag error, which i resolved with VCDS and advice from sugesh.
Adding a few more Points to my short review earlier.

- I was using Dension Gateway 500 with Bolero, It used to display a seperate Phone Option in MFD, I would have liked the same in Dynavin as well.
- Regarding Podcast issue, It appears in Artist Menu and not as a seperate Playlist. Yes i would like this to appear in a playlist but am fine with Artist Menu option.
- Noticed a slight disturbance in sound when starting the vehicle (if the stereo is already running), Goes away in a sec. The thing is Bolero used to get paused when starting the engine, while Dynavin also pauses, but just a fraction of sec as compared to Bolero.
- Also noticed the volume control through steering wheel to be erratic sometime, Not as smooth as Bolero.

Question: Can i Use any other Map apart from IGo?
abbey4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:15   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Question: Can i Use any other Map apart from IGo?
I was told mapmyindia maps can be used since the navigation runs on WinCE platform. But haven't tried out yet. Tried sourcing mapmyindia maps for WinCE sometime earlier and found that it is not very easily available. Anyone who has sourced mapmyindia maps for WinCE platform, please share details here. Thanks.

And regarding, time zone issue, though the settings do not have increments other than whole hours, there seems to be an alternative solution to get the time right on the HU. BHPian blr has figured out a way. He could share the details. He has tried it on iGo maps but not for India region. Indian maps should have the same settings in iGo, but I couldn't try this out as I am out of station. Basically you have to go to settings in iGo, deselect auto time zone and select +5:30 from there and go to main HU settings and set the zone time as 0. This seems to display the correct time on HU. You could check if this displays correct time on HU and please share the result. Thanks.
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:20   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I was told mapmyindia maps can be used since the navigation runs on WinCE platform. But haven't tried out yet. Tried sourcing mapmyindia maps for WinCE sometime earlier and found that it is not very easily available. Anyone who has sourced mapmyindia maps for WinCE platform, please share details here. Thanks.

And regarding, time zone issue, though the settings do not have increments other than whole hours, there seems to be an alternative solution to get the time right on the HU. BHPian blr has figured out a way. He could share the details. He has tried it on iGo maps but not for India region. Indian maps should have the same settings in iGo, but I couldn't try this out as I am out of station. Basically you have to go to settings in iGo, deselect auto time zone and select +5:30 from there and go to main HU settings and set the zone time as 0. This seems to display the correct time on HU. You could check if this displays correct time on HU and please share the result. Thanks.
I did that but the time is coming as --:--, I will check it again while driving back home and confirm.
abbey4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:28   #86
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
He could share the details. He has tried it on iGo maps but not for India region. Indian maps should have the same settings in iGo, but I couldn't try this out as I am out of station. Basically you have to go to settings in iGo, deselect auto time zone and select +5:30 from there and go to main HU settings and set the zone time as 0. This seems to display the correct time on HU. You could check if this displays correct time on HU and please share the result. Thanks.
I have tried this with the US Maps and the HU is being physically located in the US. I was able to set the time zone to the Indian time zone (GMT +05:30) and IST is being shown correctly on the GPS screens as well as the main HU screens.

Basically, I have done what Ajay has detailed, but in the reverse order. That is, first I went into the HU settings (DynOS settings - the toothed wheel icon) and set the time zone there to UTC + 0. Then went into the iGo settings (the screwdriver + spanner icon in iGo), unchecked the Auto Time Zone and set the time zone to GMT +05:30. That is all I had to do. I believe the order in which we change the settings (DynOS first, and the iGo later) matters because in my HU it appeared that the main HU time copied the value from where the change was made last.

It should work just fine with the iGo India maps too because the actual navigation program is the same; only map data differs. But for those of you who are located in India, this could be even easier. My guess is that, when the HU is physically in India then GPS is aware of your co-ordinates and importantly the local time zone. If that is the case, then one should be able to leave the Auto Time Zone (in the iGo settings) checked and the program should be able to figure out this is GMT +05:30. No need to set the Time Zone offset to GMT + 05:30 manually. Guess the system may not allow changing this field in auto mode, but can’t verify it as am not near the HU now.

Hope this helps! Please play with these settings and post your finding here.

Thanks!

Quote:
I did that but the time is coming as --:--, I will check it again while driving back home and confirm.
Are you sure you have a GPS fix? GPS fix is needed to set the time first, then it could be free running, I guess.

Also, try changing the order in which you access the settings menu as I outlined above.

Last edited by blr : 23rd September 2014 at 01:34.
blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:24   #87
BHPian

I tried the same. Not working for me. The unit shows time in GMT 0 whereas the I go in Indian time. Same with auto timezone.
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:20   #88
blr
BHPian

Quote:
I tried the same. Not working for me. The unit shows time in GMT 0 whereas the I go in Indian time. Same with auto timezone.
Sorry, I took 'I go' literally; not as 'iGo' the navigation software!

In my case, the iGo time is being copied into the HU OS. I am still on version 1.0 of the firmware; which version are you on?

I will do a few more tests when I get back home tonight and post the results.

Last edited by blr : 23rd September 2014 at 20:42.
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:56   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
Sorry, I took 'I go' literally; not as 'iGo' the navigation software!

In my case, the iGo time is being copied into the HU OS. I am still on version 1.0 of the firmware; which version are you on?

I will do a few more tests when I get back home tonight and post the results.
Funny how the auto correction on phone works

I am on 1.0.1. Can i downgrade to firmware 1.0 and try it out? ANy idea where to download from?
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:07   #90
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Funny how the auto correction on phone works

I am on 1.0.1. Can i downgrade to firmware 1.0 and try it out? ANy idea where to download from?
Not sure if FW 1.0 would make any difference or where to get the same from. Best bet would be for someone in India who has the HU and still on FW1.0 to test this out.

I know you must have done it a few times by now, but could you just try it out once again? Just leave the DynOS setting as is; don't touch it. Just go into iGo and try changing the time zone to different values like +04:30 for example and check the results. Good luck! Let's see how it goes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks