Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 01:28   #121
BHPian

I had used multiple maps with my dynavin including MMI which was a cracked one but maps were not the latest.. i even Garmin mobile xt. They all worked. For MMI since the software was not the latest i found it not working seamlessly. Like the resolution etc had to be changed in one of the config files. I believe one can purchase MMI maps and use it. Regarding support i found Vagtune remote support good. Anyway its a plug and play operation and install was breeze for me.
Old 9th December 2014, 02:22   #122
BHPian

Re: Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I had used multiple maps with my dynavin including MMI which was a cracked one but maps were not the latest.. i even Garmin mobile xt. They all worked. For MMI since the software was not the latest i found it not working seamlessly. Like the resolution etc had to be changed in one of the config files. I believe one can purchase MMI maps and use it. Regarding support i found Vagtune remote support good. Anyway its a plug and play operation and install was breeze for me.
Where can you get MMI maps and at what cost officially? Also are you aware of any dealer in mumbai for Dynavin? and are a happy owner and would you reccomend this over Blau 835 or any other HU?

The reason I am asking about a dealer is that they may know about settings and tuning properly to get better sound output and also if there are any issues, they can help. Would be better to have the support in your city.

P.S. - Just saw that you are from Delhi so wouldn't know about mumbai dealer if any. So how did you order and what was the final cost.

Last edited by magikrider : 9th December 2014 at 02:26.
Old 9th December 2014, 09:35   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
You mean the Sensors in newer Ventos have been changed and do not show on the display? coz it would not make much sense of having the sensors if you cannot see on the display which corner is getting too close and will have to look behind for parking anyways. The reverse camera would be more important in that case, which I was anyways thinking of getting as the XUV have spoilt me now with it and am habitual of parking the car without having to even look back even in the tightest of spots.
Not the sensors, the control module. You just get the audible beeping sound as the stock RCD 320 is not capable of displaying the graphical reversing display. Till some time back VW used a module that sent this distance information via CAN to a HU capable of displaying it. But I guess the fact that the RCD 320 couldn't use it gave them an opportunity to save money by downgrading the whole set up. The beeps plus a reversing camera is more than sufficient.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 09:41   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Don't you get a full version of MMI maps with the Blau 835?
Yes, you get it. But it is just a package deal. When you buy it, you get the MMI Micro SD which you insert into the Map MicroSD slot in the HU.

In my case, the MicroSD went missing (Key Learning: Always remove the maps micro SD when you are leaving the car with someone else due to any reason-Service, Car cleaning etc...)

You can purchase a full version through MMI customer Care as I mentioned in earlier post. Cost is Rs 4000.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 09:55   #125
BHPian

I ordered online via dynavin.in got it within 5 working days. I installed myself.
abbey4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 11:17   #126
BHPian

Quote:
You mean the Sensors in newer Ventos have been changed and do not show on the display? coz it would not make much sense of having the sensors if you cannot see on the display which corner is getting too close and will have to look behind for parking anyways. The reverse camera would be more important in that case
Like you said, it is weird that you have multiple parking sensors but cannot find out which one is getting closer (other than just knowing whether its the front or rear ones) as you get only audible signals. If your parking module and CECM does not support OPS display, then just get a back up cam. The best combo in this case would be to have the back up cam with the audible parking sensors.

Quote:
Thats a very diplomatic answer If I may.
Could I be more diplomatic... Glad you got that! It's an open forum and some one's good could be some one else's bad. Like I said, it depends upon one's priorities and how/if one weighs each finer detail of the product. That is why we have many products and takers for all.

Quote:
Don't know about the OE HUs and where to source them from and also what about the warranty and support so I think its safer to get either the Blau or the Dynavin. Now Music is very important to me and also the NAV. But since you said its difficult to source MMI maps, It makes the case for the Blau little stronger as I would prefer MMI Maps. But won't it be possible to just buy a MMI Maps micro SD from them directly and use it on this system like on Blau 835? Does it not use the maps through the SD card directly like 835 and do you have to load/install on the system first?

All these HUs run navigation on Win CE. So be it 835 or Dynavin, you can run iGo or MMI or Navteq or any Win CE compatible maps on it. Some one mentioned the process of getting MMI maps above. Blau comes with MMI maps, so if you go for 835, that's one job less for you.

Any Win CE compatible map card (unless licensed to some other unit) should work on these HUs. It's as simple as inserting the card and setting the path for navigation from within the HU settings. Nothing complicated in that.

Quote:
Also when strictly comparing the music playing capability, how would you rate this against the OE system which you had and the Blau 835? And how would the support be as I am from mumbai and there are no authorized dealers in my city if I am not mistaken as I checked the Vagtune website and they are located in south. Also would have preferred to buy it from a local dealer and get it installed rather than buying it online and getting it installed from someone. So MMI maps and finding a local dealer and support is important for me. If you know about where I can find them in mumbai then please do tell me. Thanks.
Regarding sound quality, Blau has got more settings as compared to the stock RCD 510 system and you could tune it for better sound. Dynavin has better sound as compared to the above 2. And the best I've heard is RNS 510 among all of these. All these HUs installed and played in the same car with the same speakers. So except the HU, everything else being same, that's how I rate the SQ (as mentioned above). If you upgrade the speakers, you could get better sound. But again, that improvement would be applicable to all right. So there you go. But sound quality depends a lot on your listening preference. Some love to have more bass, some love brighter sound, some love to enjoy a balanced sound. 10 years back, I did not like the mids as much as I love it today. If you want just loudness, mids are irritating but if you want to enjoy rich and complete sound, those mids are precious and to produce the right amount of it without losing out on the depth, you need a good system. So when I say good sound quality, I mean this type of sound reproduction. Not the ear cracking highs and nauseating lows type of "good" SQ.

OE HUs could be sourced from many online stores, ebay from EU or Alibay, etc. or if you want to source it via an Indian store, Vagtune. Warranty and support depends on where you source it from and I wouldn't count on it. However it would not be like Blau or Dynavin. Blau would have the best support because of their dealer network. Dynavin also comes with warranty and support but that's through Vagtune. I'm not sure where all they have appointed authorized dealers but you could find out from them which is your nearest dealer.

Quote:
Don't you get a full version of MMI maps with the Blau 835?
I did get it.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 00:54   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
You just get the audible beeping sound as the stock RCD 320 is not capable of displaying the graphical reversing display.

…the fact that the RCD 320 couldn't use it gave them an opportunity to save money by downgrading the whole set up. The beeps plus a reversing camera is more than sufficient.
The Sensor display plus the cam would help to a great deal! My XUV has sensor display plus the cam so when I am reversing the car, It would also turn the line in yellow or red color depending upon the distance and also show the distance left in cms. But I guess it would be ok with the cam and the beeping sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
You can purchase a full version through MMI customer Care as I mentioned in earlier post. Cost is Rs 4000.
So with Dynavin it would be 55-56k + 4k for the maps! Hmmmmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Could I be more diplomatic... Glad you got that! It's an open forum and some one's good could be some one else's bad. Like I said, it depends upon one's priorities and how/if one weighs each finer detail of the product. That is why we have many products and takers for all.

…….

Regarding sound quality, Blau has got more settings as compared to the stock RCD 510 system and you could tune it for better sound. Dynavin has better sound as compared to the above 2. And the best I've heard is RNS 510 among all of these. All these HUs installed and played in the same car with the same speakers. So except the HU, everything else being same, that's how I rate the SQ (as mentioned above). If you upgrade the speakers, you could get better sound. But again, that improvement would be applicable to all right. So there you go. But sound quality depends a lot on your listening preference. Some love to have more bass, some love brighter sound, some love to enjoy a balanced sound. 10 years back, I did not like the mids as much as I love it today. If you want just loudness, mids are irritating but if you want to enjoy rich and complete sound, those mids are precious and to produce the right amount of it without losing out on the depth, you need a good system. So when I say good sound quality, I mean this type of sound reproduction. Not the ear cracking highs and nauseating lows type of "good" SQ.

OE HUs could be sourced from many online stores, ebay from EU or Alibay, etc. or if you want to source it via an Indian store, Vagtune. Warranty and support depends on where you source it from and I wouldn't count on it. However it would not be like Blau or Dynavin. Blau would have the best support because of their dealer network. Dynavin also comes with warranty and support but that's through Vagtune. I'm not sure where all they have appointed authorized dealers but you could find out from them which is your nearest dealer.

I guess its ok to express one's opinion about a product in general and I'm sure no one would mind it much either

Well.. am a Music lover and can identify finer details in my music and enjoy rich balanced sound and am not just a thumping bass lover. I too value the clear rich balanced mids coz thats where the vocals are. I also don't like my music treated or colored much and prefer to listen to it the way it was mixed in the studio. Don't prefer too bright nor too warm sound. I usually keep my settings also on neutral. So I need something which would produce the music clearly the way it was recorded. Ofcourse I know speakers play the major part in producing good sound and I will be upgrading them after the HU is upgraded. will research about it then.

So to get better radio reception, which is usually the only major complain I have read about aftermarket HUs, can you upgrade your antenna with a better one? and also do you get the GPS antenna along with the HU or you have to buy it separately?
Old 10th December 2014, 07:37   #128
blr
BHPian

Looks like we are in Synch here; not sure why it is not working for others!

Quote:
Timezone issue got resolved as i just set the timezone in navigation software.
blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 16:52   #129
BHPian

Quote:
The Sensor display plus the cam would help to a great deal! My XUV has sensor display plus the cam so when I am reversing the car, It would also turn the line in yellow or red color depending upon the distance and also show the distance left in cms. But I guess it would be ok with the cam and the beeping sensors.
Blau 835 shows distance of each sensor from the obstacle in cms. That does not overlap with the cam view though. It's either OPS or cam view. However, if your parking module does not give out OPS signals by default or if it is missing the CAN wires for OPS display from what I heard in some cases, it doesn't matter to you anyways. You will always have the audible parking beeping as that is independent of your sound system.

Quote:
So with Dynavin it would be 55-56k + 4k for the maps! Hmmmmm..
Not sure, but you might be able to opt out of the maps. You will have to check this with them. Since I got my N6 in the first lot, Indian maps hadn't come with it and I was using the iGo maps I already had. By the time maps for Dynavin came, I was comfortable using my own maps and so he agreed for me to opt out from purchasing the maps which was also around 4~4.5K IIRC. If they give you that choice, you could avoid paying for maps twice.

Quote:
I guess its ok to express one's opinion about a product in general and I'm sure no one would mind it much either
Ideal scene I would say.

Quote:
Well.. am a Music lover and can identify finer details in my music and enjoy rich balanced sound and am not just a thumping bass lover. I too value the clear rich balanced mids coz thats where the vocals are. I also don't like my music treated or colored much and prefer to listen to it the way it was mixed in the studio. Don't prefer too bright nor too warm sound. I usually keep my settings also on neutral. So I need something which would produce the music clearly the way it was recorded. Ofcourse I know speakers play the major part in producing good sound and I will be upgrading them after the HU is upgraded. will research about it then.
Looks like your listening preference is similar to mine. While I had better sound system in my previous car (which did not have any CAN compatibility issues and hence had a vast variety to choose from), now I am restricted to those few which are compatible. Among that lot, this is the one I could live with. It is not "the best" but the best of the lot.

Quote:
So to get better radio reception, which is usually the only major complain I have read about aftermarket HUs, can you upgrade your antenna with a better one? and also do you get the GPS antenna along with the HU or you have to buy it separately?
Dynavin has dual radio tuner tech which makes use of dual antennas in the car and combine them to get the best reception. Not my words, but that's what their website says. I am not sure which all car models come with dual antennae but Yeti does and radio reception is good and noticeably better in comparison. GPS antenna comes with it. However I had replaced my roof top radio antenna with shark fin OE antenna which has both GPS as well as radio reception and I use that. The second radio antenna in Yeti is on the rear window, above the heating element.
Old 10th December 2014, 17:47   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Blau 835 shows distance of each sensor from the obstacle in cms. That does not overlap with the cam view though. It's either OPS or cam view. However, if your parking module does not give out OPS signals by default or if it is missing the CAN wires for OPS display from what I heard in some cases, it doesn't matter to you anyways. You will always have the audible parking beeping as that is independent of your sound system.

……...

Looks like your listening preference is similar to mine. While I had better sound system in my previous car (which did not have any CAN compatibility issues and hence had a vast variety to choose from), now I am restricted to those few which are compatible. Among that lot, this is the one I could live with. It is not "the best" but the best of the lot.

Dynavin has dual radio tuner tech which makes use of dual antennas in the car and combine them to get the best reception. Not my words, but that's what their website says. I am not sure which all car models come with dual antennae but Yeti does and radio reception is good and noticeably better in comparison. GPS antenna comes with it. However I had replaced my roof top radio antenna with shark fin OE antenna which has both GPS as well as radio reception and I use that. The second radio antenna in Yeti is on the rear window, above the heating element.

Ok. Since I am a Music lover and appreciate and more importantly understand the difference between normal and audiophile quality but not much of a techie/geek and pretty much a noob as far as technical details of equipments go, so… one more noob question:

You said that the Sensor display won't matter in my case and also that you were restricted to a HU which has CAN compatibility and I have bought a Vento 1.6 TDI Highline variant for which I am looking for a HU. So does Vento Highline support CAN in the first place? Lol

Also did you purchase the shark fin antenna from Vagtune only and did it come in your cars color shade and how much does it cost? would it work on my vento? does it make any difference in radio signal quality?

Thanks.
Old 10th December 2014, 18:25   #131
BHPian

Quote:
I have bought a Vento 1.6 TDI Highline variant for which I am looking for a HU. So does Vento Highline support CAN in the first place?
Actually, it's the other way around. These cars are CAN based and that is why a CAN compatible HU is preferred so that MFD display, MFSW, AC and OPS display, etc. are available on or supported by the HU (depending on what is available in your car). There are people who upgrade to non CAN based HUs too. It depends on what all features you want to preserve/lose by installing a CAN compatible/non-compatible HU.

Owners of Polo/Vento can give you a better idea on what all to expect (MFSW support, MFD display, AC display, etc.). OPS seems to be missing on the later variants, from what I have read on the forum.

Quote:
Also did you purchase the shark fin antenna from Vagtune only and did it come in your cars color shade and how much does it cost? would it work on my vento? does it make any difference in radio signal quality?
Here is the link to what I purchased. It came in black (not painted) and I painted it white to match car's roof top. I had picked it up during one of my visits to Cochin and didn't want to order and wait. I would advise ordering through vagtune.com if you want the cost advantage. That way item is shipped directly to you from the overseas vendor. Regarding shipping and customs, you will have to contact vagtune.

Yes the radio reception did reduce when I installed shark fin antenna. There is an OE antenna booster available for improved reception and I was considering that. Meanwhile I installed Dynavin and the reception improved noticeably even with the shark fin antenna. So I have left it at that.
Old 22nd December 2014, 15:07   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
Looks like we are in Synch here; not sure why it is not working for others!
Update, It goes back to original time (dynavin) once the system sleeps. This i noticed when started the car next morning. All i had to do was start the GPS and exit. The time got synced again.
Old 31st January 2015, 13:30   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1422691156.259838.jpg Opening and exiting navigation syncs the correct time for my system as well.
Old 31st January 2015, 13:59   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Update, It goes back to original time (dynavin) once the system sleeps. This i noticed when started the car next morning. All i had to do was start the GPS and exit. The time got synced again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Opening and exiting navigation syncs the correct time for my system as well.

Thanks for sharing! So I guess both you guys are using the navigation map that came along with the Dynavin unit right?
Old 4th February 2015, 01:03   #135
BHPian

My dynavin stopped working today. There is just no sound whatsoever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks