Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2020, 11:56   #46
BHPian
 
Kottayamkaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 56
Thanked: 167 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Hi Guys,

I have an android headunit in my Elite i20. I would like to know how i can get the android auto functionality on the unit. I browsed Youtube which recommends some apps for the same. But the apps have too much bugs and is has too much lag. I would like to know if there is any other way to get android auto functioning on my headunit. Thanks in advance.
Kottayamkaran is offline  
Old 7th August 2020, 14:08   #47
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,644
Thanked: 16,397 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran View Post
Hi Guys,

I have an android headunit in my Elite i20. I would like to know how i can get the android auto functionality on the unit. I browsed Youtube which recommends some apps for the same. But the apps have too much bugs and is has too much lag. I would like to know if there is any other way to get android auto functioning on my headunit. Thanks in advance.
I have a similar unit in my car (recently plonked in). I don't quite understand the purpose of having Android Auto to work with it? Whatever apps you want to use "via" Android Auto (Spotify/Prime Music, maps, waze, TPMS etc) - why not simply install them on the Android head unit itself & login on it? Thats far easier! Simply turn-on wifi hotspot in your phone when driving and you are done. You infact will get wireless experience without the hassle of Android Auto.

If you insist on using Android Auto - its a tricky one. you need to first add an Android Auto adapter & then install it.

Seems to work alright. When I was exploring, I stumbled on this video which is quite good as overview -



Off late - I have got another wicked idea to implement with my head unit. Once things normalize & the car gets used daily for office run - I am thinking of putting a simple JIOFI (or similar) 4G hotspot in the glove-box, connected to one of the USB ports for power. No battery in it. Running only on the USB power when car is in use. A 1.5GB per day plan is more than enough to support excellent 4g hotspot connection to the head unit & everything will work directly off the head unit, without any need to connect the phone OR use phone's mobile data at all.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th August 2020 at 15:41. Reason: As requested.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 12:40   #48
BHPian
 
sharan_si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 520 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Does anyone know which amplifier is used in the Woodman android gold 2GB model? I looked at images, the backside is flat, I am not sure how they have stuffed screen, Motherboard and amp together in a small area, in general, 55x4 amp requires a good amount of area for heat dissipation.
sharan_si is offline  
Old 20th August 2020, 23:35   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Panchkula
Posts: 65
Thanked: 104 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharan_si View Post
Does anyone know which amplifier is used in the Woodman android gold 2GB model? I looked at images, the backside is flat, I am not sure how they have stuffed screen, Motherboard and amp together in a small area, in general, 55x4 amp requires a good amount of area for heat dissipation.
I don't think it has an amp built into the device. At the most it might have a DSP chip inside
amritpal2489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 11:05   #50
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 993
Thanked: 155 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Blaupunkt has come up with a android HU

https://www.blaupunkt.com/in/nc/prod.../single/13711/

ITs good option for anyone considering Android HU's
ms001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 11:12   #51
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,644
Thanked: 16,397 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Blaupunkt has come up with a android HU

ITs good option for anyone considering Android HU's
Its been around since some while actually. And given the overall design, features, interface, rear panel build etc (from user reviews on the internet) - it seems like the same mass produced Chinese sourced Android head units with a Blaupunkt logo print & slightly customized OS. The price premium for the brand print seems to be fairly high. I recently purchased such an unbranded Android system for far cheaper from a Delhi based seller & found no drawbacks. (Just my 2 cents. Disclaimer - I'm no expert in this field, just sharing my thoughts.)
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 11:44   #52
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 5,046
Thanked: 7,584 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Off late - I have got another wicked idea to implement with my head unit. Once things normalize & the car gets used daily for office run - I am thinking of putting a simple JIOFI (or similar) 4G hotspot in the glove-box, connected to one of the USB ports for power. No battery in it. Running only on the USB power when car is in use. A 1.5GB per day plan is more than enough to support excellent 4g hotspot connection to the head unit & everything will work directly off the head unit, without any need to connect the phone OR use phone's mobile data at all.
I have done this already. I have a woodman 2GB HU installed in teh tucson, and one of the rear usb is cabled inside the glovebox. My office airtel dongle sits there happily, albeit with the battery in. My weapon of choice in the car is Prime Music.
I only need the dongle when I am travelling, so for daily commutes, it is always in the car, and has been working well. Only issue is that it sleeps after some time when the car is parked, and I have to open the glovebox and click teh power button.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:22   #53
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 993
Thanked: 155 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Its been around since some while actually. And given the overall design, features, interface, rear panel build etc (from user reviews on the internet) - it seems like the same mass produced Chinese sourced Android head units with a Blaupunkt logo print & slightly customized OS. The price premium for the brand print seems to be fairly high. I recently purchased such an unbranded Android system for far cheaper from a Delhi based seller & found no drawbacks. (Just my 2 cents. Disclaimer - I'm no expert in this field, just sharing my thoughts.)
Oh I was not aware of that , saw it recently .
Having warranty maybe a good option as compared to Chinese brand , if cost difference is not that much.
ms001 is offline  
Old 29th August 2020, 14:02   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,124
Thanked: 189 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Dont want to be a contrarian, but I will go ahead and be one anyway because of my experiences. My suggestion would be stick with locally available Sony or Pioneer units (the cheapest ones) which support CarPlay or Android. All the major needs would be addressed by these two software layers and believe me, they are more than enough. In fact, the features have become distractions by themselves for a sterile cockpit (carpit?).
Reliability is a big issue. The Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD unit that I purchased for my innova has served me for the past 10 years while the Android sytem for my accord has been nothing but trouble every 6 months or so. Power socket failure, screen LED failure, poor phonecall reception etc. As we talk it stopped working again.

Till we get a reputed system, better to use the established players.
Also, the life of a mobile phone is 2 or 3 years and after that most apps will not work on your phone.

In a similar fashion your android player will go out of date soon while the trusty pioneer that cannot be "updated" will still play soothing music for years to come. Surely something to consider.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 29th August 2020 at 14:04.
Buffetfan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 15:34   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
vsrivatsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,596
Thanked: 3,749 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

I just came across another new Company from Haryana offering Android HUs at lower prices as compared to Hypersonic and Foxfire.

4GB/32GB with DSP costs < 15K

Details here:
Website: https://deaninfotainments.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/watch/deaninfotainments/
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1...3Asc_AoYYTVMbQ
WhatsApp: +917015732022

They even claim an installation Service across 350 cities in India and a Free Return and Refund for Faulty Products within 7 days.

I have no experience or knowledge about the quality or service here but just sharing what I came across. If anyone has any experience in dealing with them - it would be good to hear from those folks.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th September 2020 at 15:37.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 16:37   #56
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 993
Thanked: 155 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I just came across another new Company from Haryana offering Android HUs at lower prices as compared to Hypersonic and Foxfire.

4GB/32GB with DSP costs < 15K

Details here:
Website: https://deaninfotainments.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/watch/deaninfotainments/
Youtube Channel: https://www.Youtube.com/channel/UCj1...3Asc_AoYYTVMbQ
WhatsApp: +917015732022

They even claim an installation Service across 350 cities in India and a Free Return and Refund for Faulty Products within 7 days.

I have no experience or knowledge about the quality or service here but just sharing what I came across. If anyone has any experience in dealing with them - it would be good to hear from those folks.
Any reviews or first hand information ?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th September 2020 at 16:58. Reason: had > hand
ms001 is offline  
Old 22nd September 2020, 22:44   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 67
Thanked: 23 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

hi anybody ordered on Aliexpress recently?

Am planning an upgrade for my 2015 BMW F30 (even on the Luxury line they provided basic 6.5" unit without Nav). There seem to be some good Android Hu's which folks in the US and Europe have installed (after ordering on Aliexpress).

Am concerned about the recent import issues and potential customs duty.

Any guidance appreciated.!
krish69 is offline  
Old 22nd September 2020, 23:36   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: HYD
Posts: 458
Thanked: 807 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I am thinking of putting a simple JIOFI (or similar) 4G hotspot in the glove-box, connected to one of the USB ports for power. No battery in it. Running only on the USB power when car is in use. A 1.5GB per day plan is more than enough to support excellent 4g hotspot connection to the head unit & everything will work directly off the head unit, without any need to connect the phone OR use phone's mobile data at all.
Nothing Stupid about it. I have put a JioFi in my car (1.5GB per day), and use it for my android radio (majorly google maps and navigation but sometimes amazon music). I also use it streaming services (netflix, YT kids, Prime kids) on my kids' tablets.

I kept battery in the hotspot because hotspot will be immediately available when I start the car. Else, I would have to switch on the jiofi manually everytime. I am not worried about misuse because I changed the password for JioFi to a very strong one.

I didnt connect it to android radio usb port. I put it in the glove box and connected it to a normal 12v to usb car charger.

Cheers!
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 06:21   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mhow
Posts: 29
Thanked: 6 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Hi. I was planning on getting one of these installed. The dealer at Sec 48 Chandigarh is offering a 2GB/16GB model for 8,000. I have a question regarinding the Boot Time - since it's Android, does it end up taking as long as a phone to start - approximately 20-30 secs minimum? In that case, I wonder if it's even worth it?
jonathanarmy is offline  
Old 4th October 2020, 00:54   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Panchkula
Posts: 65
Thanked: 104 Times
Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanarmy View Post
Hi. I was planning on getting one of these installed. The dealer at Sec 48 Chandigarh is offering a 2GB/16GB model for 8,000. I have a question regarinding the Boot Time - since it's Android, does it end up taking as long as a phone to start - approximately 20-30 secs minimum? In that case, I wonder if it's even worth it?
These units remain in standby mode for some time. If you restart within that time then the units straightaway turn on otherwise you have to wait for the full boot
amritpal2489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks