Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2020, 09:33   #61
BHPian

Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

I am looking to install a unit on my 2014 Audi A4. The only essentials for me are CarPlay and a reverse cam.

Is there some place in NCR (preferably near Noida) where I can get a good unit? Any recommendation by fellow tbhpians will be of great help.
Old 4th October 2020, 18:18   #62
BHPian

Hi all,

Here is a video where I unbox and review my Android unit for Honda City iVtec 2012. I also compare T3 vs MTK processor models. The video is in Malayalam but captions in English are available.

yaseenar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 14:27   #63
BHPian

I am looking for an android unit for my friends Celerio and very thankful for the everyone who have shared their experience. In my quest, found the following
1. Nippon has also entered the fray with 9 inch android units, which is similarly priced with hypersonic for an equivalent.
2. In Foxfire units, lots of units shipped with 1GB chip with the box and display showing 2GB especially if it priced around 15k. Real 2GB costs 20k+.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 27th October 2020 at 14:28.
Old 24th November 2020, 18:37   #64
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I own Xcent petrol 2014 model S(O) Variant. It has been a trouble free ownership so far however I have kind of got bored and want to spruce up the vehicle a bit. I have already wrapped the roof in black & have got the alloys painted in black too. Next up, I want to update the head unit to a touch screen. The budget I am looking at is some where around 15000 INR max. Do we have good options in this price range? Couple of expectations that I have from this head unit are(I am a noob when it comes to Headunits):

1. Smooth touch screen
2. Should be a straight fit in Xcent
3. Should have inbuilt navigation or should support Android Auto
4. Steering controls should work well including bluetooth connectivity
5. Watching videos & fitting reverse camera is not a mandatory requirement.
6. Should absolutely be no nonsense & maintenance - I plan to sell the vehicle in 2022.

Any inputs would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
A
Old 24th November 2020, 22:55   #65
BHPian

You can go for the Blaupunkt Key Largo 970 which is pretty good but comes around 22k. Comes with 1 year warranty and the sound quality is also pretty decent. The other options are hypersonic, unplugged. You may have to check if these are real 2GB RAm as some of the China sourced units by Indian companies comes in a 2GB box but are real 1GB ones.

You may also check this thread
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...-alto-k10.html (DIY - ICE ICE Baby! Audio System Revamp in my Alto K10)

Last edited by Sridhar K : 24th November 2020 at 23:17.
Sridhar K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 11:35   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Hi Guys,

I own Xcent petrol 2014 model S(O) Variant. It has been a trouble free ownership so far however I have kind of got bored and want to spruce up the vehicle a bit. I have already wrapped the roof in black & have got the alloys painted in black too. Next up, I want to update the head unit to a touch screen. The budget I am looking at is some where around 15000 INR max. Do we have good options in this price range? Couple of expectations that I have from this head unit are(I am a noob when it comes to Headunits):

1. Smooth touch screen
2. Should be a straight fit in Xcent
3. Should have inbuilt navigation or should support Android Auto
4. Steering controls should work well including bluetooth connectivity
5. Watching videos & fitting reverse camera is not a mandatory requirement.
6. Should absolutely be no nonsense & maintenance - I plan to sell the vehicle in 2022.

Any inputs would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
A
I recently installed this in my car , pretty good unit with android auto , apple car play supported and decent sound quality.

https://www.flipkart.com/blaupunkt-n...ab167a97763d95
ms001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 12:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
You can go for the Blaupunkt Key Largo 970 which is pretty good but comes around 22k. Comes with 1 year warranty and the sound quality is also pretty decent. The other options are hypersonic, unplugged. You may have to check if these are real 2GB RAm as some of the China sourced units by Indian companies comes in a 2GB box but are real 1GB ones.

You may also check this thread
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...-alto-k10.html (DIY - ICE ICE Baby! Audio System Revamp in my Alto K10)
Thanks for responding & directing me toward a very informative thread. This certainly helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
I recently installed this in my car , pretty good unit with android auto , apple car play supported and decent sound quality.

https://www.flipkart.com/blaupunkt-n...ab167a97763d95

This looks like a good VFM product. Do you mind sharing your car model and how much did it cost to have it installed? Was there any cutting of wires involved?
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 12:53   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This looks like a good VFM product. Do you mind sharing your car model and how much did it cost to have it installed? Was there any cutting of wires involved?
Mine is duster AMT , got HU installed locally .
There was not cutting of wires required , used a ready made wiring harness adapter for Renault .It is available in most accessory shops available locally .Totally spent around 3500/- extra for installation , harness and steering interface .
ms001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 20:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if this is the right place, But does anyone get touchscreen protector/screen guard in their cars like the ones we have on our phones ?

Is it necessary ? How has been the experience for folks using without one for a prolonged time period ?
Old 27th December 2020, 20:24   #70
BHPian

Today installed Geesonic 7inch android unit on my dad's Celerio vx at Car-o-Care in Sembakkam, Chennai. It came with a camera and GPS unit. The box said 4GB RAM but CPU-Z revealed it to be 2GB RAM with Android 8. At 8500 bucks and 1 year warranty, it is absolute value for money. Performance wise, found them to be on par with Blaupunkt key Largo 970 which is around 24k
Attached Thumbnails
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-psx_20201227_202915.jpg  

Last edited by Sridhar K : 27th December 2020 at 20:32.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 15:02   #71
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Some workarounds for a better experience

Problem 1: The default screen share app on most android HUs just mirrors the phone's screen onto the HU's display and the inputs have to be done on the phone rather than the HU's screen.

Problem 2: The hardware of the HU is not optimized to give snappy performance of apps like google maps.

Workaround for 1 & 2: Enable android auto interface on the HU which is not there by default.
  • Install an emulator called Headunit Reloaded from the play store on your head unit. Available for free also through some third party websites.
    There is a thread on XDAdevelopers which discusses the installation and functionality on offer by this emulator.
  • Android Auto is pre installed in your phone (which is taken care of by the OS by default in most cases). The app will be hidden in some phones, for which you can download this app from the play store.
  • Connect the phone to the HU via a supported data transfer USB cable and you are now live with Android Auto on your HU.
Problem 3: In some phone models, the telephony is done via the phone's mic and speaker by default even when triggering a call or receiving it via the android auto screen on the HU.
Workaround for 3:
To use telephony functionality via the car mic and speakers, you need to install this patch from the play store. This brings up the hidden android auto settings in the settings menu from where you can toggle the bluetooth setting and some other features.

The interface before...
Name:  1.png
Views: 5747
Size:  438.6 KB

... with a temporary fix for a better appearance using nova launcher,
Name:  2.png
Views: 5836
Size:  402.9 KB

... and, after android auto.
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-3.png
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-33.png

Advantages:
  • Near seamless functionality
  • Uses the phone's processing capabilities and is much faster
  • Ease of setting-up - just plug in via the cable and you're off
  • HU's screen becomes the only input / output device while the phone is left aside
  • Sophisticated UI compared to the cheap pre-installed one
Tgo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 11:37   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post

Some workarounds for a better experience

[indent]Workaround for 1 & 2: Enable android auto interface on the HU which is not there by default.
I have been using this setup since the very first day. Only issue is I am not able to use AA's phone feature. It says bluetooth not connected. Is yours working?
amritpal2489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 10:32   #73
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amritpal2489 View Post
I have been using this setup since the very first day. Only issue is I am not able to use AA's phone feature. It says bluetooth not connected. Is yours working?
So this set-up was explained to me by my friend. He has a OP 5T which has the Use Bluetooth setting hidden. To enable it he needed to do the workaround no 3 mentioned in my post.

This is the setting which appears after installing this patch.

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-aa-bluetooth.jpg
Old 12th February 2021, 00:43   #74
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations for an Android HU for facelift EcoSport (2019). I see the Hypersonic unit on Youtube, but can't find it for sale online.

I also found a few units on Alibaba (claiming to be Octa Core, 4GB, 64GB with Android 10) which look promising, but I'm concerned about the installation bit. I want a clean installation, with steering controls, reverse camera, GPS, native USB ports etc. carried over from my current Flyaudio system.

Any recommendations? I would also appreciate links/dealers who sell such products and install them in Kolkata.

Last edited by ts1506 : 12th February 2021 at 01:05.
Old 26th February 2021, 04:31   #75

Are the newly evolving In car entertainment products such as Hypersonic etc. good enough?

Im not sure if there are any threads opened up on this. But I'm sure with the enthusiasts here, I may get some idea and then take a decision on the mentioned mentioned accordingly.

As stated in the subject, are ICEs such as Hypersonic that are custom made for different kinds of cars with their fascia kits good enough when compared to established products like Sony, Pioneer, JVC etc with respect to quality? I know that the fit and finish of the newly evolving products gels well with the cars when compared to the same old headunit looks of the established brands. Secondly looks like the newer ones boast of direct Android OS operation instead of units designed with Apple Carplay or Android auto. On paper, the new products boast of features and specifications that these branded established products cannot even think of. Eg: 4Gb Ram etc.

Can these products be trusted? Has anyone been using them for a long time without any niggles. I'm caught up in taking a decision on the same for an upgrade to my existing old Kenwood double din HU upgrade and the opinions here would help me greatly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks