Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2021, 15:08   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi guys,
I'm planning to put an Android stereo for my WagonR Lxi 2007 model. Presently have a regular 1DIN stereo and want to replace it. Below are the requirements i'm looking into.
You can check the one on this page out -
Link : Android head units / Motorbasket.com
Connect with the gentleman on phone/whatsapp & take a confirmation about discount available & RAM. The one on page mentions 1 GB ram. Perhaps 2 GB version will also be available. Given yours is a 2007 WagonR, it might be quite tricky to find the HU for it. Check with the Motorbasket owner if he can procure one for you. The ones for 2012 onward / 2019 onward versions tend to be readily available.

I have procured a 1GB system more than an year ago from here & I'm absolutely happy with it till now. Very good for the price I had paid back then for my Alto K10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
1. Android stereo should support Android Auto
Why do you need this? Install all your required apps on the HU itself & use them there. Works far better than Android Auto. Trust me - I have android auto in the Nexon & android HU in the Alto. I like the simple android HU in the Alto far more . Its not easy nor cheap to enable Android Auto inside a cheap Android head unit and integrate it with your phone (nor is it that useful like I already mentioned).

Last edited by Reinhard : 23rd September 2021 at 15:13.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 21:34   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Seen it in person. I tried to search it online but it was rarely available, mostly its routed only through offline store.
I will get more details in a day or two as I am planning to visit the store again.
Ok, So got the Uno Minda unit installed over the weekend. I took the 2 GB/16 GB variant. The process took 30 min to install.

Key Points:
- Original reverse camera will not work, so there are two options, purchase Canbus adapter, which costs around 1500, but still the camera quality would not be great since the display is big.
Purchase another reverse camera which costs around 1000 bucks. I did that as that seems to be the only viable option.

- There are many Android units available in India, all of them are from China and rebranded by some big dealer. Uno Minda is similar as well but the brand has good value and also, the unit has gorilla glass which no other unit was having.

- Overall, the unit is working fine but Google Maps takes the toll on the system and it take time to load. I am looking for alternative apps for that. Will update.

- No wires were cut during the process.

- FM: The reception is not good and I am still searching for some solution to boost it. The dealer told that its the problem with all the android systems.
( He mentioned that there is booster which is available but it doesnt work). Not sure about this part and would need help here !!!

It costed me 16k + 1k for camera.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Attached Thumbnails
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-pxl_20210923_142621629.jpg  

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-pxl_20210923_142628894.jpg  

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-pxl_20210918_101524573.jpg  

saurabh159 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 14:06   #108
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I recently installed Blaupunkt Santa Rosa Android HU installed in my Crysta. I am facing issues with two apps. Request suggestions or workaround

Radarbot: Much needed app in NCR. Not able to make this app work. It keeps showing my location in Bangaluru and doesn't move with the car. The app has access to location. Wrote to the customer care but no response.

Sensairy Its not updating the sensor data as it does in mobile. Shot an email to the company and got a call back. According to the company the kind of BT in Android HU is not compatible or is outdated hence it will not work.

Are you guys able to make these apps work?

Thanks and regards
Old 6th October 2021, 11:16   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Dear BHPians,

I recently installed Blaupunkt Santa Rosa Android HU installed in my Crysta. I am facing issues with two apps. Request suggestions or workaround

Radarbot: Much needed app in NCR. Not able to make this app work. It keeps showing my location in Bangaluru and doesn't move with the car. The app has access to location. Wrote to the customer care but no response.

Sensairy Its not updating the sensor data as it does in mobile. Shot an email to the company and got a call back. According to the company the kind of BT in Android HU is not compatible or is outdated hence it will not work.

Are you guys able to make these apps work?

Thanks and regards
I am using Nippon NDROID-9PRO model and facing the same issue. Sensairy is not detecting the sensor. May be Bluetooth Low Energy feature is not supported by this Android devices? No solution as of now
Old 6th October 2021, 13:20   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Ok, So got the Uno Minda unit installed over the weekend. I took the 2 GB/16 GB variant. The process took 30 min to install.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
One of the Risks with buying the 2GB/16GB models is that most of them are in reality 1GB units. Please run the tests to make sure you really got 2GB of RAM.

You can check the video below to get an idea on which Android Apps to use for checking if you really got 2GB RAM:

One of the best Apps to use is: "Device Info HW" by Andrey Efremov available from Play Store.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 15:50   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiva75 View Post
I am using Nippon NDROID-9PRO model and facing the same issue. Sensairy is not detecting the sensor. May be Bluetooth Low Energy feature is not supported by this Android devices? No solution as of now
Tried attaching a BT adaptor to USB /Phone cable of the HU; however I was not able to make Sensairy work. I am unable to find External BT drivers for Android.
I am also facing issues with Waze app. It keeps showing "searching for network" and does not work.
Read in other forums that Waze is designed to work with 3g/4g and will not work over Wifi. There are app that emulate 3g/4g as wifi but not vice versa.
Any guidance will be of great help.
Old 7th October 2021, 21:32   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
One of the Risks with buying the 2GB/16GB models is that most of them are in reality 1GB units. Please run the tests to make sure you really got 2GB of RAM.

You can check the video below to get an idea on which Android Apps to use for checking if you really got 2GB RAM:
Android HUs - Caution and Care while Buying

One of the best Apps to use is: "Device Info HW" by Andrey Efremov available from Play Store.
Thanks for this. Checked it and found to be inline
saurabh159 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 20:31   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
I am also facing issues with Waze app. It keeps showing "searching for network" and does not work.
Read in other forums that Waze is designed to work with 3g/4g and will not work over Wifi. There are app that emulate 3g/4g as wifi but not vice versa.
Any guidance will be of great help.
In Nippon HU, the Waze is preloaded and working fine. However this cannot be installed/updated using Play Store.

Regarding TPMS, I have searched the XDA forums. I think all the Android HU using TPMS with add-on adapter which comes with specific TPMS unit itself. Sensairy is not having seperate adapter. The only option is purchasing the Sensairy Display unit which is out of stock.
Old 9th October 2021, 18:05   #114

I have a Blaupunkt key largo 970 installed in my innova crysta. I have been using headunit reloaded with it as the system is too slow to load maps and gets irritating when going for short trips. Whenever I use android auto, it does not use the hu's microphone for either calls or voice commands. I did go into headunit reloaded settings and tried to change the microphone input but did not work in any setting. If anyone is using headunit reloaded or using headunit reloaded on Blaupunkt keylargo, please shed some light on this.
Old 9th October 2021, 19:46   #115
BHPian

I am replacing the OE Nippon HU in my TUV300 because it does not support Android Auto. I got a Sony Ax 5000 and managed to get the fascia from Mahindra as well as the Harness kit. For the USB that sits in the car already, the cable looks like this.
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-20211009_173714.jpg
I tried a few electronic parts stores in Chennai and car accessories shops but no one had an adapter for it. My Sony comes with USB female and I need an adapter in between to be able to use the jack in the car.
I found a cable that looks like this below on Amazon US sites. Not sure if this will work. Kindly help me source an adapter in India for the OEM USB cable above. I asked my installer to also see if he can source it or make one.
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-screenshot_20211009191826_chrome.jpg
Old 9th October 2021, 23:00   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Kindly help me source an adapter in India for the OEM USB cable above.
Something like this, this or this should serve your purpose. These kind of connectors generally connect to motherboards of CPU. I guess this should be available with computer repair shops. Else they should be able to customize it for you. Just 4 wires that needs to connected in correct sequence.

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-screen-shot-20211009-10.52.10-pm.png
PC: Electroschematics.com
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 12:31   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadrasTurbo View Post
Why an Android HU?
USB Dashcam support(Optional)
[/list]

Hi,
Thanks for the much detailed post.
How to check for USB dashcam functionality work? One connects two cameras (front & back) and then the recordings go to the Head unit's memory?
How does one check whether this function is available in the head unit (local shops in Jharkhand are telling there is no such feature in any brand)
Also any models which have this function?

Asking again: are there any android Head units now with physical knobs as well?

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 12th October 2021 at 12:41.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 16:42   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
IMy Sony comes with USB female and I need an adapter in between to be able to use the jack in the car.
I found a cable that looks like this below on Amazon US sites. Not sure if this will work. Kindly help me source an adapter in India for the OEM USB cable above. I asked my installer to also see if he can source it or make one.
Attachment 2217218
Sony specifically states not to use any kind of adapter or extension to the USB pigtail that comes with the HU. I have the same HU and what I have done is routed the USB2 to glovebox and the USB1 is lying around the gear lever area.
Old 12th October 2021, 16:55   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I have procured a 1GB system more than an year ago from here & I'm absolutely happy with it till now. Very good for the price I had paid back then for my Alto K10.

Hey Reinhard - Was it easy to install the system yourself or did you have to go to an installer ? Also how good is the bluetooth for calls ?

I'm looking to change the stock system on my wife's Alto K10 and this looks like a reasonable option considering her usage. She wants phone calls to be clear as the main requirement. Did you change the speakers as well or are you using the stock ones ?
Old 12th October 2021, 21:39   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Hey Reinhard - Was it easy to install the system yourself or did you have to go to an installer ? Also how good is the bluetooth for calls ?
I'm looking to change the stock system on my wife's Alto K10 and this looks like a reasonable option considering her usage. She wants phone calls to be clear as the main requirement. Did you change the speakers as well or are you using the stock ones ?
Hi Tarun,
The actual head unit installation is literally a 10 minute DIY job, if your car already has the basic Maruti CD player/Stereo in place. Yes - I use BT for telephony very much in this car with the Android HU and it works excellent. No hick-ups. In fact - I have also added after-market BT steering mounted controls for phone + music & volume control together with this head unit.

Here is the detailed DIY thread for the head unit change in my car. Of course - you'll find it a bit too long since I have gone the distance with a rear view camera, sub-woofer+amp, rear oval speakers etc.
Link to Thread - Alto K10 ICE upgrade (DIY - ICE ICE Baby! Audio System Revamp in my Alto K10)

Index entry #4 in the opening post - will tell you about the head unit swap. You'll see its quite easy.

Regarding speakers - like mentioned before, I have installed Pioneer oval speakers in the rear parcel tray + a JBL amplifier and subwoofer in the boot. In the front doors - the OEM Maruti provided stock speakers are retained. They are pretty much crap to be honest - but given the rest of the speaker setup - I am living OK with them for now. No plan to change these two just yet. Hope the thread helps. Cheers!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed