Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2021, 17:37   #151
BHPian

Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsndirt View Post
I have an app on my phone called GPS Test
That should be compatible with your Android head unit. Run it without being paired to the phone and you should get satellite details so long as you are not parked inside.
Only, I hope it does not ask you to do a figure of 8 to calibrate if it detects too much interference.
It would be nice to read a future update if you drive about and use the unit for navigation, how easy it is to get directions sent to the device from the Google Maps website. I typically make the route plans with waypoints on the desktop and send them to my phone later. This would be dope if the same can be sent to the device or just shows up when the phone is connected.
I have installed a few apps to test GPS and the Car Android system seems to connect to 13/14 Satellites and gets a 3D lock of the co-ordinates. It's just that Google maps navigation still goes mad sometimes.

About sending locations / routes to your device, that's pretty simple and just like you send these to your phone.

Once you login with the same GoogleID on the Google maps app on the Car Android system you will see it as a device under - Send to - Mobile - System Name (My Android Car System is listed as Allwiner K2501). Just send to it like you would send from desktop to phone.

Another easier way is possible if you have Apple Car Play / Android Auto. Start Navigation / Route on the phone and start Apple Car Play, it will just continue Navigation from what is happening on the phone.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 26th December 2021 at 17:39.
Old 26th December 2021, 19:01   #152
BHPian

Friends, I got an Uno Minda headunit installed with DSP but to my disappoinment I found only one stereo preout which is now feeding all the four speakers using a splitter. This mean no fader control and no proper time alignment out of DSP. I wonder if the DSP in these headunits actually have some hardware DSP or its just some software utility?

Overall I am feeling like I downgraded from my old Kenwood stereo in terms of audio quality and audio related functionality.

I wanted to know if this is only due to coupler or the headunit itself got one stereo preout? Another preout is for sub only.

Even though I would prefer to go preout route, I may have to go for high to low converter for the rears. So wanted to know how will be the quality in case of high to low converter? Will my fronts running using preouts will retain the 'pure' output?

Another question is what are the benifits of getting the canbus adaptor? Currently I got the HU installed without canbus adaptor.
Old 27th December 2021, 19:31   #153
BHPian

Canbus from my perspective can have other functions of the car work with the head unit.
eg.: On my Yeti, I need a CANbus compatible head unit to have the climate control, steering mounted audio controls, reverse sensors, etc work. Without it, the head unit will just be a vanilla unit to play audio. This was one reason why I hesitated to get a replacement head unit for the Yeti. From short discussions with hiWoodman, some functions like the climate control showing on the display may not work due to CANbus compatibility.
At least that's for the VW group of vehicles that use the CANbus setup. For others, it may differ.
If others have better info on the CANbus protocols can add-in.
trailsndirt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 08:35   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Overall I am feeling like I downgraded from my old Kenwood stereo in terms of audio quality and audio related functionality.
Finally got the Sony XAV AX5500 headunit after trying out four different models of the Android headunits with and without DSP from different brands. All of them were producing low quality music along with the background noise. User interface was also cluttered and performance was also not consistent. The moment when you need the quick response, they just don't respond. Though they offer lots of features and customizations but only useful if they come with some quality hardware.

Only viable option I can think in the Android Automotive HU world is the Pioneer SDA-835TAB/SPH-T20BT which comes with detachable tablet. The tablet can also be used for some office presentations etc if anyone wishes to. But I think that does not support CAN BUS integration like how the Chinese Android Headunits do, so thats a big downer. I seriously considered that HU but the battery thing put me off. I try to avoid anything which has battery because once the battery is dead, the gadget is also dead. And any battery product is also not suitable to keep for longer in an environment like a car which sees wide range of temperatures during the whole year.

Coming onto the Sony XAV ax5500, the initial impression is that I got my audio back which I used to get with the old Kenwood stereo. The rest of the features which I wanted like the reverse camera and navigation are also working absolutely fine. Rather using the navigation thing is far more practical in the Android Auto since it picks the data from my phone where I have my usage history and saved locations. Its more practical since I can set my destination in my phone before leaving and when I connect the phone with the car HU, it's quickly shows to me. No need to stop the car to set the location or have any distraction while driving.

I also considered the Alpine ilx 650 and that was my first choice but that got only one USB port. I wanted to keep my USB thumb drive attached for music all the time and Sony XAV 5500 had options of two USBs. Initially I was skeptical if both the USB ports can be used at the same time or not, and got pleased to find that I can continue playing music from the USB thumb drive while having my phone connected in the primary USB port for Android Auto features.

I also heard lot of people complaining about having connectivity issue between their phone and the headunit but I did not have any issue so far. I also tried Android Auto on my cousin's Tata Nexon, that was super laggy and unresponsive with two phones we tried along with mine which I am currently using with the Sony HU. So that also put me off. But the experience with the Sony 5500 is completely opposite, its consistent and responsive all the time.

I may have connected my phone for 15-20 times so far and the HU consistently recognizes my phone and goes onto Android Auto screen after the usual 5-10 seconds which it takes to load the Android Auto.

Once the AA screen is loaded, I am greeted with the Google maps which is smooth to operate unlike the Android headunits I tried previously where the performance was laggy and inconstant. Voice commands are also working fine which is the preferred safe way to use in the car. Although it does not recognize the 'Hey Google' or 'Ok Google' all the times. Maybe some settings need to be made or maybe it does not recognize it due to the cabin noise. Or maybe its the way how its supposed to works, I am not sure. But once the mic button is touched, it accepts commands without any miss.

Operating phone or receiving calls is also very good experience. But when I send voice command to call someone, it recognizes the command and I can see the calling person's name on the screen with 'disconnect call' icon but I don't hear any ringtone or anything, call also does not connect. But when i connect the call using the phone, I hear the ringtone and can see other call related buttons on the HU screen. Need to look into this thing but talking on phone is not the feature I prefer to use while driving the car so not important for me.

I got the JK TREEL TPMS installed in the tires of my car after having one tire blast incident recently. But the TREEL app is not supported in Android Auto. Hope the notifications and alerts will be shown on the HU, I haven't tested. The app was not supported on the Android Headunit either so no gain or loss here. I would be pleased to know about the workaround to get the TPMS working inside the Android Auto.

I have also not tried connecting the Bluetooth OBD but I think that is also not gonna work becasue the HU connects to the phone's BT when plugged for Android Auto and disconnects all the other BT connection. I haven't tried but I think its not gonna work. Even if I disable the HU BT in phone, few features like BT audio and voice commands will be affected. So this is another feature which need to be looked into.

Overall, OBD and TPMS features are missed in the Android Auto, but the user experience with the rest of the features is just so much smoother and pleasing.
tbppjpr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 11:04   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got the Sony XAV AX5500 headunit after trying out four different models of the Android headunits with and without DSP from different brands. All of them were producing low quality music along with the background noise. User interface was also cluttered and performance was also not consistent. The moment when you need the quick response, they just don't respond. Though they offer lots of features and customizations but only useful if they come with some quality hardware.
True The Android Systems will never be as stable and smooth as dedicated systems like Sony and Pioneer. It is like Windows PCs compared to Macs

I bought an Android 4GB /64GB with DSP for my Grand Vitara and am happy with it as it gives me a whole host of apps and features. I have a USB Hotspot with a JIO Sim connected to be poweerd on with the ignition, so that give the android system and devices of the passengers internet while traveling.

As for the Sound Quality, the Android System has a DSP with 24 Channel Graphic Equalizer. After tweaking it (increasing Bass and Treble bands) it is pretty decent, equal to the audio quality of the stock Alpine System that was removed.

I read that some android systems did not have a Fader and that the Stereo Output was split for the Front and Rear Speakers. That is not true for the Unplug system that I have got. Initially I also could not find the Balance/ Fader options, but later I found these features in the Graphic Equalizer app. It has a nice graphical interface to adjust the Fader/Balance. It basically shows a dot in the center of the 2/3 rows of seats. As you move the dot to any point in the cabin, it changes the Fader, Balance. You take it to a corner and only that speaker will output.

The system I got has 2 USB Ports. I have 25GB music in a Pen drive plugged into one, and I have the option of using Cabled Apple Carplay on the second USB.
The Maps are much smoother through Apple CarPlay than the Native Google Maps App on the system. The benefit of the Native Google Maps app is that I can download offline maps into the system and use it for long 500-600kms trips. It will put less strain on the phone. Also the Android system is convenient for small drives, as it has synced all the contacts and we can listen to the Radio.
Another very useful feature was the app which lets you configure the Steering controls to your liking. My Grand Vitara's steering controls did not have Phone controls but the Previous/Next Buttons could be mapped for dual use - Previous/Next and also pick-up and hang-up phone calls. Kids have their playlists on Spotify, so they are happy to play these off the spotify app on the Android system.
There is an OBD App pre-installed in the Android system. I have a Wifi OBD2 Scanner (For Iphone) and a Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner too. I havnt tried to use the Built in App with these as I use OBD2 only once in a blue moon and am happy using the apps on my Iphone for that.
Voice commands i.e "Ok Google" etc are there but don't work too efficiently.

The system has Wired and Wireless Apple Carplay through the Zlink app and it works well. Siri works efficiently and can dial out through voice commands. The favorite contacts are very convenient on Car Play, and google maps work much smoother.

So the bottom line is if you need a system with an app store, bigger 9" Screen and lots of possibilities like Spotify/Youtube/AmazonMusic etc go in for an Android System.
If you want a no nonsense true to it's job and stable system go in for a Sony / Pioneer / Alpline system.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 23rd January 2022 at 11:33.
Styler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 13:26   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Just curious - while using Android auto and Google maps, can you in parallel play Spotify directly using the Sony system or will it have to come from the phone? How do you operate the music controls (HU or phone)? I need both Google maps and spotify to run in parallel for regular long distance trips and hence need a player which can handle both. I prefer Google maps on my phone since I can quickly use saved places or history or make quick adjustments - I presume searching or typing places or destinations directly into a HU with one hand will be slower than typing into a mobile.
Old 21st April 2022, 14:51   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Just curious - while using Android auto and Google maps, can you in parallel play Spotify directly using the Sony system or will it have to come from the phone? How do you operate the music controls (HU or phone)?
Both can run simultaneously at the same time but only one of them will be actively shown in the main window and other will be shown minimized in the bottom taskbar.

The Android headunits are optimized for voice commands so just use voice commands for majority of commands, it works fine most of the time. Or else the HU's touch panel can also be used for specific operations.

For eg Google Maps stays active most of the time on my HU and Spotify stays minimized that time even when the music is being played in it. If I need to search some specific track which is not picked up by the voice command then I can tap the app and can perform specific searching. The Google Maps goes minimized in the taskbar during this time when Spotify is active in the main window, I can again tap and activate the Google Maps to bring on the man screen once I finish up my searching in the Spotify.

When Google Maps is minimized, it keeps announcing the route alerts along with the direction symbols on the top portion of the screen so you don't miss any important turn while other apps are active in the main window.

You just have to keep your phone connected with the HU all the time and you are not supposed to use it while driving. Just use your HU for some specific tasks while you are in the car, thats how the Android Auto or Apple Car play work.

Quote:
I prefer Google maps on my phone since I can quickly use saved places or history or make quick adjustments - I presume searching or typing places or destinations directly into a HU with one hand will be slower than typing into a mobile.
Well the Google Maps version displayed in the HU has clean and clutter free interface. Since you already have all the places saved in your phone, you can easily access them in the side panel of the map interface in your HU. You can also access few key places like fuel stations, restaurants etc here and can add them in your existing route.

The snappiness or sluggishness of operations mostly depends on your smartphone and the quality of connection between your HU and phone. For eg Android Auto operations used to be snappy when my phone had stock Android 10. When I flashed Android 12 in the same phone, the AU operations became sluggish.

Best part the with the Android Auto or Apple Car Play HUs is that you can customize your route on your phone before departure, tap on 'start navigation', connect the phone with your HU and your route is displayed in the HU.

If you don't intend to use secondary USB port and want to use only your smartphone for your music then I would suggest Alpine ILX W650/660 HU for better audio quality and more settings to customize the audio. Alpine also has a small amplifier which does not need all the wiring hassles of conventional amp and can be attached behind these HUs.

Wish we had more such detailed walkthrough videos of car head-units explaining every bit in such short time, watch it:-

Last edited by tbppjpr : 21st April 2022 at 15:07.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 12:30   #158
BHPian

I purchased a base model Glanza in Hyderabad and got the delivery this morning.

I am now confused on which 9 inch Head Unit to choose. What i want is a good decent & durable setup with wireless connectivity, I don't want to plug the phone in or have to jump through hoops to get the phone connected to the HU. My current Safari Storme VX has a factory fitted unit which connects automatically over Bluetooth the second i walk in and is very convenient to then take calls or play music on the car audio.

1) First confusion for me is whether i go for options with Android Auto or ones with some screen mirroring thing called WebLink

2) Coming to options, saw some noname brands like Unplug/Bluzon at an accessory store that offer 2GB/32GB, Android Auto along with front and back camera. Both these kits come at a 22k-25k range. Then there are the Blaupunkt ones where a particular San Andreas seems to have Wireless Android Auto and i was quoted 37.5k and this one does not have the front camera.

Would greatly appreciate any help in zero-ing on a practical option. Thanks.
Old 27th May 2022, 08:37   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
I purchased a base model Glanza in Hyderabad and got the delivery this morning.

I am now confused on which 9 inch Head Unit to choose. What i want is a good decent & durable setup with wireless connectivity, I don't want to plug the phone in or have to jump through hoops to get the phone connected to the HU. My current Safari Storme VX has a factory fitted unit which connects automatically over Bluetooth the second i walk in and is very convenient to then take calls or play music on the car audio.

1) First confusion for me is whether i go for options with Android Auto or ones with some screen mirroring thing called WebLink

2) Coming to options, saw some noname brands like Unplug/Bluzon at an accessory store that offer 2GB/32GB, Android Auto along with front and back camera. Both these kits come at a 22k-25k range. Then there are the Blaupunkt ones where a particular San Andreas seems to have Wireless Android Auto and i was quoted 37.5k and this one does not have the front camera.

Would greatly appreciate any help in zero-ing on a practical option. Thanks.
Took a risk and went in for the no-name brand called Bluzon. This came with a dashcam and a back camera along with the HU with 2GB/32GB

The shopkeeper and also the brand person whom he called to check said that Android Auto would work only using the wired USB port that they have provided in the glove compartment while Apple Car play would work wirelessly.

Felt this is not right as this cannot be a h/w limitation as at the base requirement for both these are Bluetooth and WiFi which is there in the HU.

Went over a set of Youtube videos the other night and tried a few hacks and now i have a fully wireless Android Auto setup

HU is very fast, no lag in switching between tabs. The connectivity to Android Auto happens as soon as either I or my wife get into the car as both are phones are primed for Auto. Full feature set of Android Auto are accessible like Maps, Amazon music and what not.

So yeah, overall a good decision so far. Not sure how long these things last but I know this that by putting this HU in, the novelty factor of the car has gone up quite a bit.
xbox360 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 17:13   #160
BHPian

I installed the HiWoodman Xtreme3.0 with the 360 camera setup on my 2014 Skoda Yeti.
It's been a couple of months and thus far, the usage with Android Auto has been quite mixed. Maybe due to the issue with my phone for the most part but overall, it's been a decent experience.
While ordering, I did enquire about the fitting in B'lore and the folks at HiWoodman connected me with a local team who had the experience in installing it on various other vehicles. Fitting was done at home and it took two of them about 3 hours to undo all the panels, route the wires, make a couple of holes for the side cameras, get the head unit set up and give me the tour of how to do what.
Some snaps here on the work that was done to the Yeti and fortunately, none of the existing systems were affected in the car.

The only crib if anything is that the head unit will not connect to the home wifi to run any updates on the apps but will pair with the phone.
I use Android Auto for the most part but this unit also has Android apps - Google Maps which works fine as there is a GPS receiver fitted.
The only feature which was sort of lost was muting the parking sensor screaming. On the stock Bolero head-unit, there was a mute button to silence the sensors from screaming but on this, the feature is not working/available. Beyond that, the features bring an aging car right into the 2020s from the features available inside.
Attached Thumbnails
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-pxl_20220426_032722752.jpg  

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-pxl_20220426_041733365.jpg  

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-pxl_20220426_043403332.portrait.jpg  

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-pxl_20220529_113442512.jpg  

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-pxl_20220529_113634369.jpg  

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-pxl_20220529_113700573.jpg  

trailsndirt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 07:42   #161
BHPian

Having installed the Android HU in my Glanza, i now wish to see if my Safari Storme (2015) can be spruced up too. I think by adding this small piece of tech i will get the Storme to feel many generations younger.

Looking for pointers from someone who have done such an installation recently without a lot of drilling/cutting.
Attached Thumbnails
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-stormedashboard.jpg  

Old 30th May 2022, 09:15   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Having installed the Android HU in my Glanza, i now wish to see if my Safari Storme (2015) can be spruced up too. I think by adding this small piece of tech i will get the Storme to feel many generations younger.

Looking for pointers from someone who have done such an installation recently without a lot of drilling/cutting.
You have three options:-

1. Generic Chinese Android headunit. Straight forward installation with available aftermarket face-plate. But two downsides - audio quality is no where near the branded stereos, if you care about it. Second flaw is these HUs are installed on the aftermarket face-plate which is clipped onto your car's dashboard, no secure screws or whatsoever. So the HU falls apart whenever you hit bad road (personal experience).

2. Floating screen (Again generic Android HU) - This setup is similar to new gen Tata cars where a floating HU is installed on top of your dashboard. You need to find aftermarket housings which goes eon top of the dashboard. This will be 'jugaad' setup so I am not sure how secure the installation is in this case.

3. Branded Single din Android Auto HU like Sony XAV 8000 or something similar. You may have to find face-plate of the base model of the Safari which has cut out for the aftermarket single din HU. The Screen is double din which protrudes outside the dashboard and height can be adjusted. You may need to check the clearance between the gear liver and dashboard area.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 09:21   #163
BHPian

Quote:
You have three options:-

1. Generic Chinese Android headunit. Straight forward installation with available aftermarket face-plate. But two downsides - audio quality is no where near the branded stereos, if you care about it. Second flaw is these HUs are installed on the aftermarket face-plate which is clipped onto your car's dashboard, no secure screws or whatsoever. So the HU falls apart whenever you hit bad road (personal experience).

2. Floating screen (Again generic Android HU) - This setup is similar to new gen Tata cars where a floating HU is installed on top of your dashboard. You need to find aftermarket housings which goes eon top of the dashboard. This will be 'jugaad' setup so I am not sure how secure the installation is in this case.

3. Branded Single din Android Auto HU like Sony XAV 8000 or something similar. You may have to find face-plate of the base model of the Safari which has cut out for the aftermarket single din HU. The Screen is double din which protrudes outside the dashboard and height can be adjusted. You may need to check the clearance between the gear liver and dashboard area.
Thanks for the info!!
Any pictures or links to how these were installed? I am assuming all the options you mentioned are installed in the same location as the current factory fitted stereo. Or are any of these installed on the dashboard where we have this small click to open storage space?
Old 30th May 2022, 10:26   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info!!
Any pictures or links to how these were installed? I am assuming all the options you mentioned are installed in the same location as the current factory fitted stereo. Or are any of these installed on the dashboard where we have this small click to open storage space?
First and third options will replace the factory fitted stereo.
The second option I am talking about is something shown in the video. The guy actually modified the Ford Ecosport housing to install the floating screen (watch after 2:30 minutes):-
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 19:46   #165
BHPian

Hello bhpians

I am looking to upgrade my 2016 honda city's head unit. I have gone through the entire thread and there are a few lingering questions that I would need your advice on. I am more or less convinced that it's going to be either a pioneer/sony or alpine. But I am open for woodman/blaupunkt setup or any other Chinese if you guys recommend the same.

Here are the key points that I would like covered in the system.
1. If I go from the above mentioned brands where do I source the frame to support a 7 inch or a 9 inch screen? I know woodman gives one.
2. My main purpose of upgrading the screen is to get wired or wireless Apple carplay
3. I don't like laggy displays so it has to be responsive
4. I love my music so with the factory speakers what do you think should work best.
5. I don't have rear parking sensors installed so do any of these work with parking sensors preferably front and rear with a separate parking screen like the VAG cars.
6. The camera quality is poor on the city, any recommendations camera recommendations?

Any and every input will be appreciated. Please do share your recommended head unit.

Thanks

Most Viewed