Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2021, 22:32   #121
BHPian

Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead345 View Post
I have a Blaupunkt key largo 970 installed in my innova crysta. I have been using headunit reloaded with it as the system is too slow to load maps and gets irritating when going for short trips. Whenever I use android auto, it does not use the hu's microphone for either calls or voice commands. I did go into headunit reloaded settings and tried to change the microphone input but did not work in any setting. If anyone is using headunit reloaded or using headunit reloaded on Blaupunkt keylargo, please shed some light on this.
I also installed the same system in my Polo. I was used to a 1-din Kenwood system since the start and used to connect my phone via aux. I miss my old system too much, sound quality was much better and there was no lag. I changed by system to get a wire-free look and obviously a better screen experience.

Anyway, coming to the lagginess. Yes the map takes forever and I barely use the GMap app installed in the system in the city. The best way around is to use Android auto and use screen mirroring either through cable or wireless. At the same time connect your phone via bluetooth to the headunit. Hence the music and phone calls route via bluetooth through the unit into the speaker. Only thing missing is GMap voice instructions which come from phone speaker - but thats not an annoyance as it is loud enough to be clear when you need prompts for turning.
vivekz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:59   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
I am facing issues with two apps.

Radarbot
Sensairy
Are you guys able to make these apps work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msiva75 View Post
I am using Nippon NDROID-9PRO model and facing the same issue. Sensairy is not detecting the sensor. May be Bluetooth Low Energy feature is not supported by this Android devices? No solution as of now
Quote:
In Nippon HU, the Waze is preloaded and working fine. However this cannot be installed/updated using Play Store.
Update:
I was able to make Radarbot and Waze work

For both the app, go to settings, storage and clear cache and memory. Reset the HU.
Open Radarbot and in setting turn off automatically detect region and manually select India and it works.
In Waze deleted and re-downloaded the app and forgot to open it for 2 days and one fine morning it started working on its own.

Still looking for a way/ BT adaptor/ BT drivers for Android to make Sensairy work.

Regards
Old 15th October 2021, 07:16   #123
BHPian

Quote:
I am using Nippon NDROID-9PRO model and facing the same issue. Sensairy is not detecting the sensor. May be Bluetooth Low Energy feature is not supported by this Android devices? No solution as of now
I am planning to install Nippon ndroid 9 pro in my 2016 creta. Can you share your experience on following points.
1. Speed / snappiness of system
2. Does gmaps works without any lag
3. Have you also fitted can bus, if yes, your observations
4. Display quality
5. Ease of menu navigation
6. Android version pre installed in the system
7. Any other point you want to share

Would appreciate if a response can be shared in the next few hours as I plan to install it today
Old 15th October 2021, 18:37   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorkBHP View Post
I am planning to install Nippon ndroid 9 pro in my 2016 creta. Can you share your experience on following points.
1. Speed / snappiness of system
2. Does gmaps works without any lag
3. Have you also fitted can bus, if yes, your observations
4. Display quality
5. Ease of menu navigation
6. Android version pre installed in the system
7. Any other point you want to share

Would appreciate if a response can be shared in the next few hours as I plan to install it today
Nippon 9Pro HU performance is acceptable level compare to the price point.This is 2GB Ram Chinese unit with Nippon Name.

Google Maps initial loading is slow, however there is no lagging in usage.

I am using Canbus and it's working fine with all the steering control and car settings display. We need to select the correct Canbus model and car model after connecting the HU to internet. Then only it will download the Canbus drivers based on our selection.

Android Version - CPU-Z App shows as Version 10 and Hardware Info app shows as 8.1 with Fake 10.

Display and Sound quality is good. I am already having powered FM antenna, so FM signal also good.

Please add external MIC for better Bluetooth phone conversation.
msiva75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 11:52   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubin View Post
hello,
i'm looking for an Android headunit for my 2019 Tata Hexa XMA, it is an upgraded version with the bigger touchscreen. so far i've used the current touchscreen with wired android auto without any issue.....
now i have considered Woodman and other Chinese units. and even Blaupunkt but i don't quite like the way the unit sits and bulges out from the frame.

any other suggestions ?
I have one installed in my Hexa XTA. It is a Chinese model with working canbus decoder box. All the functions of the vehicle are working perfectly. Just that the price was 26k which is higher than other chinese options available but still lower than Woodman and others.
You can contact me if you need
amritpal2489 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 10:26   #126
BHPian

After working for 2 years, my FoxFire headunit stopped working. I was in the middle of a reversing manoeuvre when the unit suddenly turned off. Turning off the car and restarting it a few times did not have any impact.
Basically, there is no power to the headunit as the backlit buttons that work with the headlamp, also don't work. (i.e. it is not a display problem).
Any idea what could have gone wrong?

TIA
kedar_GT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:28   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Basically, there is no power to the headunit as the backlit buttons that work with the headlamp, also don't work. (i.e. it is not a display problem).
Any idea what could have gone wrong?
For starters - take it out & check the blade-fuse on the back of the HU. It might have blown. If its OK - check that there is a +ve & -ve supply on the responding pins in the input harness from the car, when car is in ACC mode, using a multi-meter. If no supply - check the stock blade fuse for the ICE in the car's cabin fuse compartment, replace if needed.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 16:57   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
For starters - take it out & check the blade-fuse on the back of the HU. It might have blown. If its OK - check that there is a +ve & -ve supply on the responding pins in the input harness from the car, when car is in ACC mode, using a multi-meter. If no supply - check the stock blade fuse for the ICE in the car's cabin fuse compartment, replace if needed.
@Reinhard, thanks a bunch for the suggestion!!!. It was so naive of me to have not thought about this.
The 15A ACC fuse turned out to be the culprit - it was a clean burn.
Not sure what could have caused this though ... the car was parked outside and the inside was terribly hot when this happened.
kedar_GT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 10:09   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the much detailed post.
How to check for USB dashcam functionality work? One connects two cameras (front & back) and then the recordings go to the Head unit's memory?
How does one check whether this function is available in the head unit (local shops in Jharkhand are telling there is no such feature in any brand)
Also any models which have this function?

Asking again: are there any android Head units now with physical knobs as well?
Quoting myself,
Is there a unit with dash cam integration?

Car is a 2011 corolla altis- looking for one stop solution for music, calls, dvr and rear view.
Small screen and physical knobs preferred.
Request fellow members to pitch in
Old 10th November 2021, 14:56   #130
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a new Head unit for 2013 Swift VXI. I want to replace my 8 year old JVC Kw-400 and here are the things I want the unit to have:

1. Wireless Apple Carplay is a must.
2. 9 inch screen size prefered, if not I am okay with 7 inch too.
3. Not a necessity if it runs android or not.
4. For the price the maximum I want to spend is 30k
5. Should have option to work with steering mounted controls.

I have checked out two after market stereos - 'A Class' Brand Android 9 inches and Envy Brand 9 inches both support wireless apple carplay via Zlink app and I have seen the demo on the stores I visited here in Mumbai.

I want to know if carplay via Zlink app works perfectly fine without any glitches on these after market android systems? If anyone who has used it can tell me how their experience is with Zlink.

Another system I have shortlisted is Blaupunkt New York 750 and the newer version of this also supports Wireless Carplay. Is it better to go for this instead of after-market system? How good is Blaunpunkt?

I am still not fully convinced with these two systems as I am hoping I can find something even better like something in Sony or other brand. Hence, I am looking for more suggestions. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 11th November 2021, 18:17   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Any recommendation for a HU upgrade for a 2013 Vento TSI. I currently have a Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835. To be honest, nothing wrong with it. Just a thought of an upgrade to bring a refresh to the cabin.

Only thing I want is probably Android Auto capability. Also, the current 835 supports the rear park assist display as shown here - Need that functionality retained. A good looking unit with a responsive interface is also another general requirement.

Any recommendations?
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 10:54   #132
BHPian

I have been considering a Woodman Xtreme 1.0 for my Yeti.
Pandemic put a halt to the plans but now am considering again whether to get it or look elsewhere (not many compatible units available anyway).

Would be great to hear from anyone who has installed head units with Android Auto and Carplay from Woodman. Hows is the audio quality? Fitting done at home or any shops? Overall integration with existing controls - any issues or functions that don't work & if a facia was replaced.
trailsndirt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:22   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsndirt View Post
I have been considering a Woodman Xtreme 1.0 for my Yeti.
Pandemic put a halt to the plans but now am considering again whether to get it or look elsewhere (not many compatible units available anyway).

Would be great to hear from anyone who has installed head units with Android Auto and Carplay from Woodman. Hows is the audio quality? Fitting done at home or any shops? Overall integration with existing controls - any issues or functions that don't work & if a facia was replaced.
I just ordered an Extreme 3.0 yesterday. Quite an impulsive purchase after my mobile fell from it's holder about 10 times on a recent Goa trip and a few times dangerously close to the ABC pedals.

Should receive it in a week or so I think. I saw some YouTube videos that suggested they will provide a new fascia which is car specific and that it will work with the steering controls.

Do note that this is an Android HU. Hence there is no need as such to use Android Auto or Carplay.

The videos suggested playing audio directly from the in built Spotify app is significantly better than playing it via phone over Bluetooth. Not sure about playing via wired Android Auto.

OT: Any recommendations for a good installer in Bangalore? Woodman says they can provide home installation services and I would mostly take that but in case it doesn't work out might have to go to a specialized shop. Not at all comfortable with DIY.
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:58   #134
BHPian

The Extreme 3.0 does state on their site that it has Carplay wireless and Android Auto wired.
Am wondering if that's just pairing via Bluetooth or wifi or a true Carplay or Android Auto to pair the smartphones. I was on the fence about that as me and family have both Android and iOS devices and it would be good to be able to have the Carplay or Auto when needed.

For the fitting, that's another reason why I've delayed. On my Yeti, the facia is quite rigid and any inexperienced shop can easily snap or break it. If Woodman can send a person to do it at home or a shop they have tied up with, best get it done thru them.
Btw, do share clips and your experiences once done.
trailsndirt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 19:47   #135
BHPian

Hello,
Any recommendation/suggestions for HU upgrade in 2nd Gen Thar. I am looking for a better head unit which supports High Res music and fits in the stock location in Thar. After upgrading my complete audio setup in Thar I feel the source signals are of low quality hence not getting the expected output.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed