Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2007, 13:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

With my little experience of over 6 months at Team-BHP, most of which is in the ICE section, I have noticed that queries generally miss out certain details which prove to be vital for the gurus to answer the question(s). This eventually, compels the gurus to ask a few questions in turn, delaying the entire process.

I had a small discussion with Navin over PM and I've come up with a draft of how people could post their queries in the 'Ask the gurus' section.

For Novices: (Seeking advice on a new setup/ upgrading their current setup):

1. Your Car: _______________

2. Your current setup (If any): ________________

3. Your Budget: ______________

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? __________________

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): ___________________

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : _________________

For people having trouble with their system:

1. Your car: _______________

2. Your current setup (Please mention details with model numbers if possible): _______________

3. Description of the problem: _______________

I would like the others to offer suggestions/comments liberally. Thanks!

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 30th July 2007 at 13:36.
rocksterraghu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2007, 19:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I really appreciate the effort Raghu. This would make things more uniform in our eccentric and wayward ICE section.

But personally I abhor monotony. And the various ways and methods that people ask ICE questions keep me smiling and interested. I suppose this would serve as a handy guide for newbies with questions. Well done.
Old 30th July 2007, 19:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I really appreciate the effort Raghu. This would make things more uniform in our eccentric and wayward ICE section.

But personally I abhor monotony. And the various ways and methods that people ask ICE questions keep me smiling and interested. I suppose this would serve as a handy guide for newbies with questions. Well done.

Thanks Sam bhai! I understand what you say.

It was just a thought. I think we need to keep this section as entertaining as it has always been. No compromise on that!
Old 31st July 2007, 10:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

Sam it is handy. It also serves as a ready reckoner to those who might forget a thing or two.
Old 27th September 2007, 14:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

I came across an article and found it to be interesting. This may help our members audition ICE equipment better. I've put it here, since it would not be termed hijacking.

While auditioning a setup,

1. Expectations: If you expect it to sound good, it is likely to sound good. Vice versa, if you expect it to sound bad, it is likely to sound bad. Try to keep an open mind. Better yet, try to compare speakers without knowing which brands you are listening to. In this sense, the less you know about the speaker you're listening to, the better.

2. Second Speaker Sounds Best: In a comparison of two items, people tend to prefer the second item. This is one of the bases of the Pepsi challenge --- present the Pepsi second. This effect is sometimes used by dealers to favor a specific speaker.

3. The Louder Speaker Sounds Best: In a comparison of two speakers, people to to prefer the louder one. Of course, this is not true if the loudness difference is large. However, small differences in loudness are not perceived as differences in loudness - rather the louder speaker is perceived as better. This effect is sometimes used by dealers to favor a specific speaker. This effect can be minimized by demoing speakers at a variety of different volumes - fiddle with the volume control!

4. The Speaker with more Bass and Treble Sounds Better: In a comparison of two speakers, people tend to prefer the one with more bass and treble. Again, like loudness, slight differences are not perceived as due to frequency response differences - the increase in bass and treble is perceived as better. While increased bass and treble sound better in the short run, it can become extremely fatiguing in the long term. Many speaker manufacturers build a slight contour into their speakers to help them perform well in short casual demos, but the purchaser drawn in by this technique often lives to regret their decision. This effect is also sometimes used by dealers to favor a specific speaker. Playing with the bass and treble controls, and varying the volume (perceived frequency balance changes with volume), can help overcome this effect. If you find that, for some reason, you actually prefer increased bass and treble, most receivers have a loudness switch, and bass and treble controls, which accomplish the same thing. However, if the bass and treble boosts are built into the speakers, it is nearly impossible to cancel them exactly using bass and treble controls if you later find them tiresome.

5. Room placement. The sound of a speaker is greatly influenced by its location in the room, and its interactions with a room's acoustics. The sound is also influenced by listener position and listener height. For example, most speakers sound best if the tweeter is at the same height as the listener's ears, or slightly lower.

6. Mood. In particular, it is very hard to judge when nervous or under pressure.

7. Other factors. Color, size, styling, lighting, etc. can affect your judgements. I have even heard of dealers using small surround sound speakers - used properly, listeners will not perceive the additional separate speakers, but will instead perceive the main speakers as better.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 27th September 2007 at 14:47.
rocksterraghu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2007, 14:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Contd:

When auditioning speakers, its vital that you be familiar with the music. In other words, TAKE YOUR OWN MUSIC. If you allow the dealer to choose the audition music, they may choose music which flatters the speakers in question. At the very least, if the dealer uses unfamiliar discs, you will have no idea what the music should sound like, and thus you will have no way to distinguish the sound quality of the disc from the sound quality of the speakers.
Old 30th November 2007, 16:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
With my little experience of over 6 months at Team-BHP, most of which is in the ICE section, I have noticed that queries generally

I would like the others to offer suggestions/comments liberally. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Sam it is handy. It also serves as a ready reckoner to those who might forget a thing or two.
this looks great raghu. i think we should have a "must for ICE newbies" section, where they go through basic stuff and only then post their queries.

also, searching through the forum is pretty difficult. there's a wealth of information here, but if one has to search and locate a thread... it's pretty painful. a few searching tips for guys like me would help.
Old 30th November 2007, 16:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Raghu,
My suggestion: Also specity if somebody wants to sell their ICE setups what all the parameters should be put in. It will help lot of people.
Old 30th November 2007, 23:43   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Raghu,
My suggestion: Also specity if somebody wants to sell their ICE setups what all the parameters should be put in. It will help lot of people.
Buying and selling belong in Market place.
Old 29th September 2009, 16:01   #10

Need info and a cost effective solution

Hi,

A regular visitor to Team-BHP, I am looking at adding a more modern set of equipment to the factory fitted Stereo (Cassette) unit of my 2001 Siena. A CD Chnager is obsolete I read somewhere. While surfing I came across this curious gadget called Digital CD Changer made by a Chinese company, and which can be added to the same as a CD Changer would have been added. This stereo has a CD switch on the face, which would indicate that it is capable of taking a CD changer and thus the Digital CD Changer as an alternative. The Digi CD Changer reads from the SD card and USB pen drive. If I am to buy it in India and Mumbai specifically, is there any place where I could look for it and is it worth the investment. If someone could guide me through this.

Rgds
Old 16th November 2009, 18:47   #11

1. Your Car: OHC Type 2 (1.5 Exi)

2. Your current setup (If any): Head Unit Pioneer DEH 3090UB, Pioneer 4" Front Doors(Not Thinking Of Replacing Them)

3. Your Budget: 15K

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? : Self Driven

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Soft Rock, R&B

Additional Information:I Don't Listen To Head Banging Stuff ! I Prefer Good Base And Clarity.

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : NO ! None !

What I was thinking about is :
Head Unit Pioneer : DEH 3090UB(Already In The Car)
Front Doors : 4" Radials(Already In The Car)
Rear Parcel Tray : MTX Thunder 6"x9" ! Sub Woofer ???? AMP ????

So i have 15K for a Amplifier,Sub woofer,MTX 6"x9" !
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I have Pioneer 6850 HU in my car which was installed when i bought my car 3 years ago.

I noticed a couple of days ago the HU's display suddenly went kaput. Can someone point out what could be the problem and what to look for? Is it some loose wiring or something?

I removed the HU and inserted it back but display is GONE completely.
Old 4th December 2009, 15:59   #13
BHPian

1. My Car: Swift VDI______________

2. My current setup (If any): ___Have 6*9 Polk Coaxial speakers for rear_____________

3. My Budget: _____15 K_________

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? _____Self driven_____________

5. MY Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): ______Hard rock (Wifie: Hindi and Tamil cine songs)_____________

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : __NO_______________

Any suggestions for HU and front speakers for the new swift?
Old 11th February 2010, 02:39   #14
BHPian

I posted my problem with details in the "ICE Setup for Indica Vista" section, but not much responses.. :( Can I open a new thread then..? BTW, good idea on the drafts!
Old 11th February 2010, 11:20   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavanrv View Post
1. My Car: Swift VDI
2. My current setup Have 6*9 Polk Coaxial speakers for rear
3. My Budget:
Any suggestions for HU and front speakers for the new swift?
If you are ahppy with Polk's signature, why not consider Polk components for the front too. That shold cost you about 6K. That leave 8-9Kf or a HU. You can get a good Pioneer, Kenwood, or even a basic Alpine (I think it is called CDE-100) for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonu View Post
I posted my problem with details in the "ICE Setup for Indica Vista" section, but not much responses.. :( Can I open a new thread then..? BTW, good idea on the drafts!
JS, please post a link.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks