Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2007, 01:47   #91
BANNED

I'm completely knocked off now.
What are you trying to put forward, Monty? Once sentence you say OE speakers are better than the entry level comps. Then in another you say, it's the acoustics which play a big role and that's the reason OE speakers sounds good. Or I misunderstood something.
What do you vouch in an Accord? Please don't tell me you like the sound. It's one of the worst. Maybe for you it sounds better than an Elantra system. Not that Elantra system is very good! But it sounds very good for an OE system.

If a person is not changing the OE speakers, why should he spend money on damping? Why should he buy an amp?

BTW, I told my driver to check the HU in Innova. He says it has some unknown name behind and it is not an Alpine.

We're not offending you in any kind. Just trying to understand your views of ICE. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, right?

@Sam! Yes, the Camry is a CBU. And our Prado has a Mark&Levinson audio system. Will it be having JBL speakers too?
Old 15th December 2007, 03:23   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
1) Entry level comps surely sound better than OE speakers. Atleast JBL, Illusion, etc do. I have heard both and can confirm this with eyes closed in a demo car with OE speakers in one and the brands mentioned in other. Could be possible that Dhoom and all sound similar to OE.
i agree here with you. however, in certain cars, the OE is good and there is not a huge difference you'd get by upgrading. mind you, you are spending the entire amount of the purchase for an upgrade... it's not like you don't have a system, and are buying a new one.

Quote:
2) Do you really think a car would require damping (worth 12k) with OE speakers?
for an innova it would be a huge benefit. the civic and accord will benefit, though by a lesser degree.

Quote:
3) Which companies make VFM pre-amped base boxes?
almost all of them. though availability as of now is an issue. fr JBL Basslink II, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Audiobahn, Soomoku.

Quote:
I am badly confused. Would be very helpful if you could take a minute and read your posts. Are you trying to amp OE speakers or something and found it better?
no. i meant unless you want to put an amp, it's not worthwhile changing the OEs of these cars to entry level comps/coax. you will get a better sound quality by simply adding the base thingy and damping the doors. later on, if you intend to upgrade, then do so with an amp.

Quote:
What is acoustics got to do with putting a Rs. 15k system in the Innova.
it's got to do with the fact that whatever you may say of the speaker quality etc., the civic, the accord and the toyota (2din set) sound good. not worthwhile changing speakers... unless u gonna amp them. i agree to disagree with you and many others here who represent brands and who do not. if you show me a civic with entry level speakers and tell me you spent 12k on that, i would never pay 12k for that small 'difference'.

Quote:
With all due respect and concern for time taken by members to post, I'd request you to take some time off and go through a very well required thread here. I know you didn't ask for it but still.
i have gone thru most of yeti's guides. i love the one on air travel. and i simply adore the way he's described his experiences of dhakkan airline. and if you know my profession, you'll probably get the shock of your life. coming to think of it, i wonder how come i survived. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I'm completely knocked off now.
What are you trying to put forward, Monty? Once sentence you say OE speakers are better than the entry level comps. Then in another you say, it's the acoustics which play a big role and that's the reason OE speakers sounds good. Or I misunderstood something.
What do you vouch in an Accord? Please don't tell me you like the sound. It's one of the worst. Maybe for you it sounds better than an Elantra system. Not that Elantra system is very good! But it sounds very good for an OE system.
i never said OE speakers are better than entry level comps. i only said the exchange is not worthwhile for the amount unless one plans a full upgrade with an amp.

Quote:
If a person is not changing the OE speakers, why should he spend money on damping? Why should he buy an amp?
if you sit in an innova with damping, you'll realise why a person not wanting to listen to music should also spend on it. regards the amp, there seems to be some confusion. he needs an amp only if he wants a full upgrade. why otherwise?

Quote:
BTW, I told my driver to check the HU in Innova. He says it has some unknown name behind and it is not an Alpine.
neither did i expect an alpine sticker on it. if it was so obvious, there'd be no debate at all. i remember having read this somewhere. unfortunately i haven't saved it. or i could also be mistaken. the HU now looks more and more like a becker to me. but also, the design is a pretty standard one. so could be anyone.

Quote:
We're not offending you in any kind. Just trying to understand your views of ICE. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, right?
yes dear, i absolutely agree with you. i haven't taken any offense, i'm really sorry if any of my posts have given that suggestion.

if there's any more confusion, i think it's better we discuss this at a meet or online or on the phone.
Old 15th December 2007, 04:16   #93
BHPian

Quote:
2) Do you really think a car would require damping (worth 12k) with OE speakers?
correction the 12-15k here includes a base unit + damping... say 7-10k for the unit and 5k for damping. it can be lesser than 12k too if one goes for noise kill.
Old 15th December 2007, 04:48   #94
BANNED

I would be interested to hear that 'shock of a life' profession of yours. Please do us the favour of revealing it.

I have an aunty who has an Innova with 10k worth of damping gone into it. So I understand the benefit of damping an Innova. But I still can't understand the logic of damping it with OE speakers. That's a waste of money according to me.

A person should first get good audio components and then rectify the vibration/jarring/unwanted noises according to the need. That's what proves to be VFM.

Accord is a car which needs a hell lot of damping if a person has any intention of putting some good ICE into it. Same with the Civic. Maybe a bit more!
I seriously think you should work on your ICE basics. Sorry!
Old 15th December 2007, 08:52   #95
BHPian

@Monty what all you are talking is your view.For OE speakers damping is a utter waste.If somebody want they can damp it to satisfy their ears,that is depends on the person.Even for cheap speakers+ HU can go for a damping,no issues.But why you want to spend money on damping for a OE speaker and you wont get a real benefit on that.
Old 15th December 2007, 09:01   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Sam! Yes, the Camry is a CBU. And our Prado has a Mark&Levinson audio system. Will it be having JBL speakers too?
Well then I have to go check on the Camry.
Zak, it's Mark Levinson. That's the name and that is a product from my company. Just like Lexicon (present in RR cars).

Monty, I was told that you are from the audio industry. Our boys are very passionate about audio and will jump if something does not sound right to them. I apologize if some posts on this thread seem a bit forward. Such is the nature of a passionate hobby.

Personally, I do not agree with your point of view. If your point of view is NOT to upgrade the existing OE speakers and spend on damping and amplifiers instead, retaining the OE speakers, I find this completely incorrect. But this is merely my opinion.

You are of course welcome to have your own opinion on the matter.

Zak, moral - let's be nice. No more fighting. Please. Leave it.
Old 15th December 2007, 10:17   #97
Team-BHP Support

for a minute there I felt like Vinny Barbarino :-)
Old 15th December 2007, 11:24   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
for a minute there I felt like Vinny Barbarino :-)
For those as confused as me check this
Old 15th December 2007, 11:37   #99
Senior - BHPian

I think what monty trying to say is that if one plans to run the speaker with the OE HU there will be a little difference between the OE speaker and a entry level component kit.

But I dont agree with it.

Also damping with OE speaker is waste of money as the OE has done enough of work done on the door to make the OE speaker play good without need of extra damping.
Old 15th December 2007, 12:19   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
For those as confused as me check this
BUSA, thanks for the link but we at ICE are blessed with LBM. Trust me I wish I was 10% as good as him with search engines.
Old 15th December 2007, 12:27   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BUSA, thanks for the link but we at ICE are blessed with LBM. Trust me I wish I was 10% as good as him with search engines.
Hmm...

VinnieBarbarino: Vinnie Barbarino, often just called Barbarino, is the head sweathog at the school. Often found saying "What? .... Where? ...." , Vinnie is not the brains at the school. Vinnie, having no problem finding girls, is often a little conceded, but always adding to the comedy of the show. Vinnie makes up schemes with the other sweathogs, Freddie, Horshack, and Epstein.

Welcome Back, Kotter

I think it is much more clear now.
Old 15th December 2007, 12:37   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Vinnie makes up schemes with the other sweathogs, Freddie, Horshack, and Epstein.
They DONT sell this on DVD! :-(

I dont know if any of you saw these 4 nutcases at work. Mr. Barbarino BTW was played by John Travolta (he later acted in a movie called Grease).

Last edited by navin : 15th December 2007 at 12:42.
Old 15th December 2007, 12:50   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Mr. Barbarino BTW was played by John Travolta (he later acted in a movie called Grease).
And that was the reason why his name was Vincent Vega (Vincent = Vinnie) in Pulp Fiction
Old 15th December 2007, 12:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They DONT sell this on DVD! :-(

I dont know if any of you saw these 4 nutcases at work. Mr. Barbarino BTW was played by John Travolta (he later acted in a movie called Grease).
Navin Ji there are total of 95 episodes If you interested that can be arranged on DVD.
Old 15th December 2007, 13:03   #105
BANNED

Who's a Barber here? LOL.

@Sam. Thanks for the clarification. Checked with my friends at Toyota. They say it's Harmon speakers in Camry.
We weren't fighting Baba. Anyways, it was fun.

Busa, are you still confused?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks