Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2012, 16:15   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Best component speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
...and dedicate a 2 channel amp to the Sub.
Why not wait till you have the budget for a good monoblock instead?
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 16:48   #167
Senior - BHPian

It's been a while since I was in the market for a pair of speakers, but what are the options for entry level 6.5" comps that are available? Am running Hertz DSK 130's (5.25"), contemplating upgrading to 6.5" for the extra bass. Most comps seem to start at 6K, and the cheaper ones don't seem to be a bit low on the power handling. I'll be running them off an amp, so looking for something that can handle at around 60W RMS and pump out enough bass. I suppose a DSK165 is the logical upgrade - are there any deals available on them, or anything better for less ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 6th February 2013 at 16:51.
Old 7th February 2013, 12:59   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
It's been a while since I was in the market for a pair of speakers, but what are the options for entry level 6.5" comps that are available? Am running Hertz DSK 130's (5.25"), contemplating upgrading to 6.5" for the extra bass. Most comps seem to start at 6K, and the cheaper ones don't seem to be a bit low on the power handling. I'll be running them off an amp, so looking for something that can handle at around 60W RMS and pump out enough bass. I suppose a DSK165 is the logical upgrade - are there any deals available on them, or anything better for less ?
You can try JBL 609c. It is also available at a very good price.
http://www.discountsvu.com/compare_p...t-GTO609C.html
Old 16th March 2015, 11:55   #169
BHPian

Cerwin vega HED 65c.
Have been using this since 2 years.

SPECS:
RMS : 60 watts
Peak: 120 watts
Sensitivity : 90 Db
Frequency response: 60hz - 20Khz
Tweeter: Mylar 20mm dome

Pros:
1. Can handle lots of power (Plays loud almost up to ear bleeding levels and stays clean)
2. Sound quality is surprisingly good
3. Budget friendly: Cost me 6K
4. Bass reproduction is good.

Cons:
1. Tweeters a bit bright at 0 db setting on the external crossover (but smooth at -2db).
2. Peak observed at around 250hz & 2.5 Khz on RTA with Flat eq (Might have something to do with my particular install).
3. Crossing over below 70 hz is a recipe for distortion at high volumes.

Overall i would say a very good components for those looking at a budget option with SQ in mind.
Old 5th April 2015, 23:22   #170
BHPian

How are the Pioneer C600IN , I saw them on the Pioneer website , as they are only available for Indian Markets there is not much review anywhere.
Old 7th April 2015, 16:10   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroheadd View Post
How are the Pioneer C600IN , I saw them on the Pioneer website , as they are only available for Indian Markets there is not much review anywhere.
Haven't heard these, but pioneer says these speakers will have extended bass and more high end.
Going by this i think these were designed to run directly off head unit power.
I know it would be wrong to judge these without listening but I'm guessing these are more SPL than SQ.
if it helps, found this short review: http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/7Uur...o-perfect.html

Last edited by Mashblue : 7th April 2015 at 16:14.
Old 21st May 2015, 02:39   #172

Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade my factory audio system on my new Skoda Rapid. A little background first, I already have a Blaupunkt 4-channel 800 watts amplifier and a JBL bass tube which I had it installed in my previous car.
Now I want to arrange a good audio setup for the car. I'm considering spending about 20,000 INR for the setup.
1. Please help me with some component speaker options. I've Focal, Infinity, Hertz and Polk in mind, but not sure exactly which one.
2. Would I need 2 components & 2 co-axials or all 4 component speakers?
3. And one more thing, in the recent years I've grown out of bass tube and too much bass; so is it necessary to use my bass tube for a good audio setup or just component speakers would do.
Thanks!

P.S.- This is my first post after being a member. I would really appreciate any help.
Old 21st May 2015, 12:36   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrvit View Post
Hello,

1. Please help me with some component speaker options. I've Focal, Infinity, Hertz and Polk in mind, but not sure exactly which one.
2. Would I need 2 components & 2 co-axials or all 4 component speakers?
3. And one more thing, in the recent years I've grown out of bass tube and too much bass; so is it necessary to use my bass tube for a good audio setup or just component speakers would do.
1. Go with Infinity Kappa 60.11cs, excellent components with great sound quality & Power handling. Havent heard the focals but polk & Hertz options at this budget are bright sounding.
2. One pair of components at front will be more than sufficient. Rears are only for passengers and these should never over power the front components, so co-axials running directly off head-unit power will be fine.
3. Time to shift to a sub in sealed enclosure .

Also don't forget to damp your ride, makes a huge difference .
Mashblue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 14:10   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
1. Go with Infinity Kappa 60.11cs, excellent components with great sound quality & Power handling. Havent heard the focals but polk & Hertz options at this budget are bright sounding.
2. One pair of components at front will be more than sufficient. Rears are only for passengers and these should never over power the front components, so co-axials running directly off head-unit power will be fine.
3. Time to shift to a sub in sealed enclosure .

Also don't forget to damp your ride, makes a huge difference .
Thanks buddy!
Infinity Kappa 60.11CS sound good to me. I anyhow like Harman audio.
1. Okay, now which co-axials to get? Should I go for some Infinity ones only?
2. I'm sorry, I don't understand the meaning of "damp your ride". Mind explaining please?
3. One more thing, do I need to get the factory head unit changed? I don't want to. It looks pretty neat to me, plus changing it would add another 10,000 INR to the budget.
Old 21st May 2015, 14:15   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Infinity is good. I have the same setup on my Duster. 2+2. Component on the front and co-ax for the rear. (Infinity Primus 6.5 inch)

Quote:
2. I'm sorry, I don't understand the meaning of "damp your ride". Mind explaining please?
You may want to damp the sound on the car's body. So for that you use a damping material which you stick around the installation. This material typically absorbs the vibration.

Quote:
3. One more thing, do I need to get the factory head unit changed? I don't want to. It looks pretty neat to me, plus changing it would add another 10,000 INR to the budget.
If you have a nicely integrated head unit, even I would not advice to change. Just the speaker upgrade should do the job. (I also did the same for my Duster; same HU, but speakers upgraded).
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 19:57   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy!
1. Infinity coaxials will be great, but you can opt for any known brand if on a budget as these will not be of primary importance for sound quality.
2. Damping is a big topic, try googling "Sound deadening in car audio" / "Dynamat" / "Dampmat" for some gyaan
3. Factory headunits will almost certainly lack RCA outputs which will make it necessary to use a Hi-Lo converter etc which will increase noise floor of the sound. But hey its totally up to you, if you like the way factory system sounds after speaker upgrade nothing like it
Mashblue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 20:31   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
3. Factory headunits will almost certainly lack RCA outputs which will make it necessary to use a Hi-Lo converter etc which will increase noise floor of the sound. But hey its totally up to you, if you like the way factory system sounds after speaker upgrade nothing like it
Now I know about damping. Thanks!
1. Talking about Hi-Lo Converters, are there any brands to go for in particular or should I pick randomly? Saw a Focal Hi-Lo Converter online, it's costing 6,000 INR. I doubt I'll be buying that.
2. Do Hi-Lo Converters make a huge difference or are they just an audiophile thing?
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:45   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Saw a Focal Hi-Lo Converter online, it's costing 6,000 INR. ...
First check whether your amp can accept high / speaker level input. Some Blaupunkt models can.

Scosche has a good Hi-Lo converter - costs around 2.5K. Check the threads here - you will find a pic of the Scosche converter.

Quote:
... 2. Do Hi-Lo Converters make a huge difference or are they just an audiophile thing?
Hi-Lo converters are neither an audiophile thing, nor do they make any huge difference. They are just a component to step down the speaker level output from the HUs amp (20-35V), to a level acceptable to the amp (2-8V p-p). There are cheap ones (costing 300-400) and there are costly ones, though all of them are just a bunch of resistors to bring down the voltage. The cheap ones are a bit noisy as compared to the costly ones - the difference is in the quality of components used.

Last edited by DerAlte : 22nd May 2015 at 15:46.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:34   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I know about damping. Thanks!
1. Talking about Hi-Lo Converters, are there any brands to go for in particular or should I pick randomly? Saw a Focal Hi-Lo Converter online, it's costing 6,000 INR. I doubt I'll be buying that.
2. Do Hi-Lo Converters make a huge difference or are they just an audiophile thing?
Any passive component in the signal path is bad for audio quality. That is the simple fact. If you can avoid a Hi-Lo converter, please do so.
Old 22nd May 2015, 21:31   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Any passive component in the signal path is bad for audio quality. That is the simple fact. If you can avoid a Hi-Lo converter, please do so.
I don't get it. Everyone is saying that I would need a Hi-Lo Converter to get a better output because I'm using a factory fitted head unit; and you're saying otherwise.
Why would people spend extra money to buy a Hi-Lo Converter when it won't do any good? Please enlighten me, I'm really confused now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks