Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2008, 19:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Ok, not too much information pertaining to car there except for the following conclusions:

1. There is some speaker under 10k from Hertz that is very laid back. A model no. sure would have been handy.

2. Some JBL speaker is bright and tinny (which if indeed so, I think in anyone's book would make it inappropriate for all kinds of music?!?)

3. Some speaker from Blaupunkt does something that is laid back and forward at the same time, but thats again very limited information since we dont know exactly which speaker. I'm not saying good or bad, but different speakers from different Blau lines sound poles apart.

So which amongst these speakers and the home speakers you list fall in the category of those that sound natural? i.e. trying to reproduce the source most faithfully. Without being aggressive or laid back? Anyone's bet for the best of both worlds? For car, your vote seems to be for Blau.
As I said... I'm no expert in car audio and I'd let the experts decide on that. If I were to buy a pair of components for my car, it'd probably be Dynaudio 242 which to my ears is the best I've heard in a car.

Regarding speakers which are natural... well in 30k, its hard to get anything that performs almost perfectly. With a higher budget, I'd look at Dynaudios, Thiels, Proacs, MLs and so on.

@DerAlte: You are absolutely spot on. Voicing and speaker preferences is all about perception. One man's food is another man's poison.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 16th February 2008 at 19:30.
Old 17th February 2008, 12:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

err, the discussion seems to have gone quite OT I think.

@B&T - Yes, I heard the demo in-shop on a demo board. If the Kickers couldnt produce enough (mid)bass on that, and going by your suggestion, I doubt if they would be able to produce bass in-car.

BTW, thanks Ajay for giving me a lovely audition of your Illusion speakers yesterday. Much appreciated man!

As regards the type of rock that I listen to, its mostly soft rock as against heavy metal.
Old 17th February 2008, 12:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Much appreciated man!
Gandhiji, yes, @B&T is undoubtedly a much appreciated man!!!
Old 17th February 2008, 17:24   #34
BHPian

I have a Hertz HSK165 (cost me 14.5K INR). They are absolutely fantastic. Little laid back with silk dome for very pleasant sound. Had a chance to explore DLS. Good but I liked HSK better.
Old 18th February 2008, 11:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertClive View Post
I have a Hertz HSK165 (cost me 14.5K INR). They are absolutely fantastic. Little laid back with silk dome for very pleasant sound. Had a chance to explore DLS. Good but I liked HSK better.
Which model of DLS did you auditioned.
Old 18th February 2008, 11:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I've heard the Hertz speakers and they sounded typically italian.... very laid back.
Like Ajay Bhai has asked which model. If model number is hard to find which price range do you think it is ?
Old 18th February 2008, 13:57   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
2 home speakers under the Rs. 30000/- price point that will demonstrate this severe and unmistakeable leaning towards a particular genre of music?
JBL ES80 vs Infinity Beta 40. Same price (about 45K) different sonic signature (I believe that their smaller siblings ES30/Beta 10 for example might also exibhit the same differences in sonic signature). My son prefered the ES80 (but he wanted them in bright orange a la Acapellas). He listens to Black Eyed Peas, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, etc...

Quote:
The blaupunkts were a nice middle ground.
Different strokes for different folks. The Blau Thc are not bad speakers at all. At that price point though I'd get Infinity Reference, but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Try as they might, IMHO the driver designers (even Manger) couldn't have systematically designed materials and dimensional tolerances to have specific bias for a genre.
Der Alte, I knew someone who demos Manger with NAD. At one CES I really enjoyed taking refuge at his "booth/demo room".
Old 18th February 2008, 18:05   #38
BHPian

I dont remember the model number. My cousin has a DLS in price range of 7-8K. Mid bass is excellent but the tweeter sounds too metallic.

Another is the one with silk dome (I guess it is the reference series). It is the one that is fitted in Sanjay's car of Car Decor, Bangalore. The mid bass is better than Hertz but the speaker was little bright. If anyone got a change to go to Car Decor, do check Sanjay's car (Black Swift). He has got a good system in 80K including pioneer in dash DVD player. So minus the DVD player would be around 60K which is what I spent for my car.
Old 18th February 2008, 18:10   #39
BHPian

I don't recollect correctly, but I guess DLS might be having a better sound stage. If someone get a chance to audition Sanjay's setup, to let us know.
Old 18th February 2008, 18:22   #40
BHPian

Rating the component speaker is very subjective as many would agree. What I noted is higher the cost of components, we must invest in a much better amp, better HU, better cables, etc. to get the best out of component. So it must be a balanced system.

For me, in 60K budget, I could only manage pioneer HU, pioneer 5 channel amp and HSK components. Sounds good but I know it would sound better with alpine or mtx amp and alpine HU.

Now the question is, will a 14K HSK components with pioneer amp sounds better or some 10K components with alpine or better amp?
Old 18th February 2008, 18:30   #41
BHPian

Assuming the cost of setup is constant, what will be the effect of increased cost of amp at the expense of components in the following cases?

Component systems in 5-10K
Component systems in 10-20K
Component systems in 20-30K
Component systems above 30K

The equation can get much worser if we add HU and cables in picture.

Gurus, help here. It can only be answered with experience and not with theory.

Sorry, I was not able to edit the post and hence the multiple post.
Old 18th February 2008, 18:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Like Ajay Bhai has asked which model. If model number is hard to find which price range do you think it is ?
Hertz Hi Energy HSK165.
Old 18th February 2008, 18:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hertz Hi Energy HSK165.
Excellent speaker. Retail price is Rs. 15k+ change.
Old 18th February 2008, 19:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Yea it was decent for the price but a little too laid back for my tastes.
Old 18th February 2008, 22:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yea it was decent for the price but a little too laid back for my tastes.
Lol, you are one difficult man to satisfy.

Most Viewed