Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 21:08   #121
Senior - BHPian

both will do fine. the illusion might be a bit better with the soft rock

you'll need to use a sub with either of them if you want to listen to hip hop at good levels
Old 20th November 2008, 23:23   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2avg View Post
Sorry for hijacking your thread Nishant..

Guys, can someone help me on Pioneer TS-C160R compos? Like how they sound and which compos would be better in the same price range (7.5K)? I just want a general opinion, not going too deep into "listening preferences"!!
Don't know about "better", but other choices you have in that price range are Illusion Electra's, JBL 608c, Bull Audio, Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics speakers. Suggest you audition as many as you can before finalising on something.
Old 20th November 2008, 23:26   #123
BHPian

Hi every one. Can you help me out in getting a good pair of 6.5" comps for my palio. Thing is I may not be able to audition most of the speakers as I am getting them from US through a colleague after 'Thanks giving Day' when there are huge discounts. For brands such as JBL, and Pioneer I will audition here. But for others such as Infinity, polk, Boston, Hertz, Illussion etc I would like your opinions.

My music type is indi-pop, Film music, classical (instrumental & Vocal). Some good Bass ability is preferred. So please suggest a few choices. And I want to know what you would have preferred and why. I will try to decide then. I have 15k in my mind (As there will be heavy discounts I hope I can get something worth more than 20k for 15k or below). So awaiting your suggestions regarding this.
Old 21st November 2008, 00:46   #124
Senior - BHPian

Comps will not give you Bass. For that you need either a pair of 6X9 speakers at the back or a sub.

For 15k (roughly 300$), there is a hell lot of choice for just comps - JL Audio/DLS/Focal.
Old 12th December 2008, 18:21   #125
Senior - BHPian

today in lamington road when i went to check out price of components i was offered jbl 608, illusion 6.1 and boston s60 for 5k. he was asking me to go for boston s60 as its better than other two. what is your recommendation. all price with bill. has illusion come to 5k ? i was very much tempted to pick up the illusions but he asked me to check boston reviews on net.

Last edited by gigy : 12th December 2008 at 18:25.
Old 12th December 2008, 20:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

which shop offered you these prices? i go there too..
i think you were offered illusion 4.1s for 5k!
Old 12th December 2008, 20:43   #127
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine have got 2pairs of JL Audio C5 from Australia for his Honda CRV,i yet need to install it tune and listen,looking at the build quality they look awesome,does any bhpian use these set of compoents in their ride?

I'll post the actual pics tonight
Attached Thumbnails
Best component speaker?-c5.jpeg  

Old 12th December 2008, 21:58   #128
Senior - BHPian

these babies cost somewhere between 300 and 350$ man! they look great!
they are assembled in germany thats why the prohibitive cost, i presume!
the specs are not too great on paper atleast though

JL Audio C5-650

Last edited by frankmehta : 12th December 2008 at 22:02.
Old 13th December 2008, 01:10   #129
Senior - BHPian

Yaa it reads assembled in germany the guy got it for $185 per pair,suppose to be in sale,lets see after the installs how it performs on the JL Audio 300/4 V2 amplifier.
Old 13th December 2008, 10:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

sorry for going OT, but i had these few doubts (i am still a learner) which i has posted in the glossary section, but received no response, so i thought its better to repost in here-

1) in the component set, you get two set of speakers- the woofers are installed in the door panels and the tweeters are installed near the A pillar... am i right?

2) co axial houses all these in a single unit, that is in the door panel itself. so which are better, component or co-axial?

3) also, it is mentioned that component speakers are the best for front, so are co-axials for rear?

4) can both component as well as co-axial speakers can be 2 way or 3 way?
it seems that 3 way speakers are better than 2 way speakers, true?

5) also, what are these 6x9 speakers? i read that they are better, why?
are these 6x9 speakers used only at the rear... if yes, are they co-axials?

6) finally, suppose i buy a component set (JBL GTO 608) which is a 6" component system for 7000, that means i will get a set of two, right? i mean two woofers, 1 crossover and two tweeters for installation in both the front doors, am i right? where is the crossover installed? is the JBL GTO 608 a 2 way speaker or a 3 way speaker as it comes with woofer, tweeter and crossover?

7) as i have read, a 3 way speaker has a woofer, tweeter and super tweeter built inside the same housing, if it is co-axial. so does it have an in-built crossover?

can you guys help please?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 13th December 2008 at 10:26.
Old 13th December 2008, 10:54   #131
@ri
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
sorry for going OT, but i had these few doubts (i am still a learner) which i has posted in the glossary section, but received no response, so i thought its better to repost in here-

1) in the component set, you get two set of speakers- the woofers are installed in the door panels and the tweeters are installed near the A pillar... am i right?

2) co axial houses all these in a single unit, that is in the door panel itself. so which are better, component or co-axial?

3) also, it is mentioned that component speakers are the best for front, so are co-axials for rear?

4) can both component as well as co-axial speakers can be 2 way or 3 way?
it seems that 3 way speakers are better than 2 way speakers, true?

5) also, what are these 6x9 speakers? i read that they are better, why?
are these 6x9 speakers used only at the rear... if yes, are they co-axials?

6) finally, suppose i buy a component set (JBL GTO 608) which is a 6" component system for 7000, that means i will get a set of two, right? i mean two woofers, 1 crossover and two tweeters for installation in both the front doors, am i right? where is the crossover installed? is the JBL GTO 608 a 2 way speaker or a 3 way speaker as it comes with woofer, tweeter and crossover?

can you guys help please?
Maybe I could help you with some of the stuff
a) A 3 Way speaker always better than 2 Way Speaker
Reason: The Low Freq from Woofer won't swamp the Mid Range and Mid Range won't swamp the High Freq Notes on the Tweeter. So the sound is crisper

b)6X9 Speakers can are better and are used in the rear:
Reason: They can accommodate a bigger Woofer to deliver the Low Freq Notes. And from a Audio Setup view, the Low Range should always be diffused to deliver a better sound experience.

c) Components always better than Co-Axial setup of speakers cause here again The higher vibrations from the Woofer can effect the Tweeter in the Co-Axial setup. But now-a-days what I have seen is the Co-Axial Setup ones are also very improved to take care of such problems. So if space is a constraint go for Co-Axial ones. They will give you a good sound experience.
Old 13th December 2008, 11:53   #132
Senior - BHPian

1. not necessarily. sometimes near your feet, firing up, and in my case, on the dash, near the 4" locations
2. comps, obviously, for door installs. your ears are on year head, not your feet for a front dash install, the difference may not be significant
3. in a rear parcel tray install, as in the front dash install, since the tweeters are nearby anyway, there wont be a significant difference, hence coax are better (since in a given budget, a coax will perform better in the dash and rear tray than a comp that costs the same ) , besides , in a setup without a sub, only 6x9's can give enough bass - and they are available only as coax . to confuse you further, there are coax speakers available with seperate crossovers which should sound as good as comps of the same range
4, yup any number of combinations are possible, and both designs have their inherent issues. a good 2 way can beat a poor 3 way, and vice versa
5 6x9's are those oval speakers you find in the back of most cars, they tend to be coax , and are too large to be installed in the front of most cars
6. you'll get one pair of tweeters, one pair of woofers, and one pair of crossovers. some bi ampable comps have seperate crossovers for woofer and tweeter ( my hertz dieci has )
the crossover is not a speaker. its a circuit which seperates the bass and treble and sends it to the woofer and tweeter respectively. the 608 is thus a 2 way component. If it had a seperate midrange, then it would be a three way

Last edited by greenhorn : 13th December 2008 at 11:56.
Old 13th December 2008, 12:13   #133
Senior - BHPian

@ greenhorn: thanks a lot buddy. you have been very precise in your explanation.

from this, i understand a few of this:
in my scorpio, the speaker is on the front door, not on the dash. so its better to go for a 3 way component speaker with the tweeter near the A pillar.

BUT:
1) you said for the rear, i can go for 6x9 co-axials as they are on the parcel tray. in my scorpio, i have no parcel tray (!!) nor do i have the provision in the rear door. instead i have two speaker boxes behind the middle seat with sony 400W speakers. so if i plan to replace the sony speakers with JBL, should i go for components again or co-axials will do? if i install components in the rear, where will i install the tweeters? (mine is not a setup without a sub, i have a JBL basstube in the boot.)

2) i thought the 608 was a 3 way speaker as it has the woofer, tweeter and crossover, which is not a speaker, i agree. i thought the woofer is the midrange speaker, subs for low range and tweeters for high. so if 608 is a 2 way comp, can you pls give me an example of a 3 way comp with a picture?
Old 13th December 2008, 12:23   #134
Senior - BHPian

like you are saying the pic of JL audio C5 posted by ramie in this page above (post #127) is a 2 way comp speaker as it has a woofer and 2 tweeters and also as you mentioned, 2 crossovers. so then what extra does the 3 way comp have? arent woofers meant for midrange?
Old 13th December 2008, 12:39   #135
Senior - BHPian

1. what exactly do you want to improve with your upgrade? if you have a sub, then 6x9's are not needed, since the sub will produce enough bass. a bass tube will produce slow and boomy bass. if you want to feel the kick, you should try a more powerful amplifier and/or a sealed box/properly designed ported box sub. if you are installing comps in the rear, and using boxes, you might want to put the tweeters near ear level and facing forward
Best component speaker?-2way.jpgBest component speaker?-3way.jpg
see the power series 2 way and 3 way speakers. installing 3 way is hard as most cars have only one location in the front ( tata cars an exception ) and some modification of the door panels will be needed.

2. the woofer produces the mids in a two way, but in a door install, again, your feet will end up listening to the mids , not your ears. the main benefit of 3 ways is that since the mid range is also seperate, it can be mounted higher and closer to the ears , and away from your feet.
treble is the most directional, mids are less directional, and bass the least , so the need for a 3 way depends on how important the mids are for you.

Last edited by greenhorn : 13th December 2008 at 12:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks