Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 07:14   #11326
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Is sony coax going to be a let down? I am throwing away old pioneer ovals, most dealers tell me they are not going to be good enough.
Havent seen/heard either of them, so cant comment much, but I dont think it would make a huge difference.

Quote:
Will Pioneer 1390 good enough to drive the above speakers?
It might not be able to drive it at rock concert levels, but for normal levels, will do
Quote:
Do I need an "expensive" mdf box for woofer?
MDF is only slightly more expensive than the particle board they usually use. If it costs anything more than 30% over a regular box, dont bother
Quote:
Wiring: assembled or proper scosche kit ?
at this sort of a budget, assembled should be fine, if its a lot cheaper
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 07:27   #11327

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Mod Note : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read our rules before proceeding any further.

Greetings fellow BHPians!
My experience with the enthusiastic and helpful Biker BHPians has been amazing, to say in the least. So this is my first attempt at 4 wheeling geniuses
Well, I have just purchased(Still to collect) a Nissan Sunny Base model (which doesnt come with HU's or speakers) and the company insists that any accesory that is fitted must be from the showroom only(something to do with no wire cutting) Needless to say, everything is frightfully overpriced.
The technician over there said that he could get it done from outside using connectors, though secrecy is to be maintained.
THe advice I wanted was, I have an initial budget of 20k and I absolutely need a system with bluetooth and ipod connectivity. THis has to be inclusive of the speakers and the installation cost. Amps, woofers or other paraphernalia may be installed later but if some enlightened soul could help me out with this quickly,, he'd get my gratitude
Regards,
Gunner
P.S. I'm at Nashik and picking up the car from the Vasai stockyard of Nissan (to avoid octroi!)

Last edited by GTO : 17th January 2012 at 14:06.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:19   #11328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
... The front layer which is facing you and holds the mechanism for central locking ... and another layer ... (called outer skin). Among these two which layer requires more damping?
The outer skin should be damped more than the inner one. This reduces the road noise coming through it, as well as the noise induced by tyres through the chassis and the door panel.

Some damping is required on the inner layer wherever the area is more than a sq.foot. If the speaker is mounted on the inner layer, as @cranky mentioned, the area around the speaker mounting should be damped. Don't bother about closing the holes on the inner layer - despite what the installer will tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
This HU spec says that it has an in- built Amplifier. Does this really mean that if i put this HU, i dont need a separate amp?
Yes it does. However, the in-built amp in the HU is low power (14-18W rms per channel) as compared to the external amps (>40 rms per channel).

This does not mean that the music will play louder at all times with an external amp. An external amp plays music as it was meant to be heard, soft for soft passages, loud for those crescendoes and other loud passages. This gives a much better listening experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... MDF is only slightly more expensive than the particle board they usually use. ...
Almost all the subwoofer boxes are made of MDF. Particle board is as costly but much more difficult to work with. 0.75" or 1" ply, though easier to work with, is also costly. Block board is a definite no-no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbala View Post
... company insists that any accesory that is fitted must be from the showroom only(something to do with no wire cutting) Needless to say, everything is frightfully overpriced.
The technician over there said that he could get it done from outside ...
They (the dealer) are pulling the usual fast one on you as usual. The company's warranty stipulation should be read for what it says - Nissan will not say get the ICE from the dealer. The technician is also trying to make a fast buck - even you can get it done outside without cutting wires, and probably at a lesser price.

Quote:
... I have an initial budget of 20k and I absolutely need a system with bluetooth and ipod connectivity. THis has to be inclusive of the speakers and the installation cost. Amps, woofers or other paraphernalia may be installed later ...
1. Get a JVC KD-R926BT HU - it has all the features you want - <12K
2. Get a good pair of components for the front: JBL, Infinity, Morel, Auditor, Polk, Alpine, etc. Should cost you about 6K or less
3. Get round coaxials for the rear door - 3K or less. Same as above, even Sony or Pio would do (don't buy their components - not good enough)
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 12:30   #11329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Yes it does. However, the in-built amp in the HU is low power (14-18W rms per channel) as compared to the external amps (>40 rms per channel).

This does not mean that the music will play louder at all times with an external amp. An external amp plays music as it was meant to be heard, soft for soft passages, loud for those crescendoes and other loud passages. This gives a much better listening experience.
Thanks DerAlte. The spec says that this is a MOSFET 50Wx4 type Amplifier. I have 4 JBL components in 4 doors and 2 tweeters in the dash. I hope this HU will integrate with this setup without too much fuss. This is the one I am talking about Car Entertainment Systems
Old 10th January 2012, 12:55   #11330

Hi Guys,

Am planning to get a Double-DIN AV Receiver with front speakers to start with for my new Swift. My Budget is Around 25-28k. Can you guys please suggest something good and which fits the bill.

Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 13:46   #11331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The outer skin should be damped more than the inner one. This reduces the road noise coming through it, as well as the noise induced by tyres through the chassis and the door panel.

Some damping is required on the inner layer wherever the area is more than a sq.foot. If the speaker is mounted on the inner layer, as @cranky mentioned, the area around the speaker mounting should be damped. Don't bother about closing the holes on the inner layer - despite what the installer will tell you.
Thank you. This is the response i was looking for. Now my task is to locate a good person who knows to do dampening on my car.
Old 10th January 2012, 13:54   #11332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
... MOSFET 50Wx4 type Amplifier. ... I hope this HU will integrate with this setup without too much fuss. ...
Yes it will. The 50W mentioned is 50W Music - equivalent (by a round about obfuscated process) of 14-18W RMS that I mentioned.

With internal amp, please do expect the sound to distort at high volume - a malady that is not expected with external amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
... my task is to locate a good person who knows to do dampening on my car.
'Damping', sir, not 'dampening' (which means 'making wet' ).

If you are not a faint-hearted person, you could perhaps do it yourself. There are plenty of examples in the threads in the ICE section. You only need to know how to unscrew the door pads, which your usual mechanic should be able to tell you. Just needs a pair of scissors, a utility knife, a hot air blower and some elbow grease.

Last edited by DerAlte : 10th January 2012 at 14:01.
Old 11th January 2012, 07:42   #11333

They (the dealer) are pulling the usual fast one on you as usual. The company's warranty stipulation should be read for what it says - Nissan will not say get the ICE from the dealer. The technician is also trying to make a fast buck - even you can get it done outside without cutting wires, and probably at a lesser price.
1. Get a JVC KD-R926BT HU - it has all the features you want - <12K
2. Get a good pair of components for the front: JBL, Infinity, Morel, Auditor, Polk, Alpine, etc. Should cost you about 6K or less
3. Get round coaxials for the rear door - 3K or less. Same as above, even Sony or Pio would do (don't buy their components - not good enough)[/quote]

Thanx a ton guys! I'm going to the market today for checking things out before being bamboozled by the dealer!
Another thing please - as you must be aware by now, I dont know much about these things, but can I integrate a good map my india gps navigator within 8k with this system? Can I view video on it too?
Regards,
Gunner
Old 11th January 2012, 11:20   #11334
BHPian

Hi Satish,

Can you please PM me, I will give you access to a very good car audio technician who is amazing and has great knowledge of car audio and the entire spectrum of work associated with it.

Sparsh
sparsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 11:23   #11335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... can I integrate a good map my india gps navigator within 8k with this system? Can I view video on it too? ...
No, you cannot. Nor can the digital monitors that display navigation show video. HUs with good audio that can integrate navigation come in 2DIN only and cost upwards of 25K. There are 2DIN HUs by MapMyIndia (navigation being the primary function) and by Caska etc. (more like a CarPC) - but good audio is not their forte.

If you really want navigation, buy a separate one that can be mounted on the dash or windscreen (and stowed away when not in use).

For video, either buy head-rest monitors with integrated DVD players, or buy a China-made sun-shade-replacement VCD player/monitor.
Old 11th January 2012, 12:05   #11336
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

This is the set I have finalised for my City Corporate:

Front - JBL GTO-609C (MRP 6990)
Rear - JBL GTO-949 6x9s (MRP 5990)
Amp - JBL GT-X646 (MRP 8990)

One of my T-BHP friends has promised to send me his original City HU by March-end (he had Caska fitted at the dealer's), so till then I am planning to use the HU carried over from my present car, JVC KD-R426, a 1-DIN unit.

How much can I expect in dealer discounts, if I insist for company bill + warranty (if he is willing to give one)? If not, will it be wise to go ahead with just dealer bill + warranty only?

And will the sound quality be compromised if I carry over my present JVC HU temporarily? Will I need to do damping work as well, or can I postpone it (or do away with it completely)?

Also, I have been looking at the Pioneer CD-SR100 as a possible replacement for steering controls. Will it pair easily with the HUs?

The dealer has asked for 15-20 days for delivery, so I am going to place my order within the next couple days (so that the stuff arrives by the time I get delivery of my car). So I will be very grateful for any/all feedback on the same.
Old 11th January 2012, 17:31   #11337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru.skr View Post
Hi Guys,

Am planning to get a Double-DIN AV Receiver with front speakers to start with for my new Swift. My Budget is Around 25-28k. Can you guys please suggest something good and which fits the bill.

Thanks
Pioneer AVH-2390DVD - 20,000 with Bill and warranty.
JBL GT6-S266C - Front Compos - 5000/- with Bill and warranty.
Damping / Wiring - 3000/-each. (would suggest you to get both if your budget can stretch or you are good at bargaining
Installation: FREE if you buy all the stuff from the same dealer.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 00:09   #11338
BHPian

Hi Sam,

Could you pls help me with the prices for the 6.5' comps and 5.25' coaxs for both the Reference and Kappa series?

Can't PM you as am a "Newbie"

Many thanks bro..
Old 15th January 2012, 13:00   #11339
BHPian

Guys need quick guidance and help. Am getting ICE setup done in my XUV 500. Front comp: infinity Kappa, rear comp- Hertz ESK 165L. Need ur guidance on the amp, should I look at Polk PA660 or Kicker EX450.4 shall really appriciate quick suggestions from you guys as the installation is under progress and am badly confused.
Old 16th January 2012, 11:03   #11340
BHPian

@ Joyb

hi, could you pls share the cost of the Infinity Kappa and Hertz components?

many thanks..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks