Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 10:29   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Traveled Ernakulam-Bangalore by Greyhound travels. I booked on Sunday 8.15pm bus as all services on Monday evening was running full. It reached Edappally at 8.50pm against scheduled arrival of 8.25pm.

The bus become old now but the seats were comfortable. Stopped at Coimbatore for 20 mins tea break and some other short breaks for cargo. Finally, reached Silkboard at 7am through BETL. The fare was Rs. 560.
Old 16th August 2011, 19:14   #1007
BHPian

The bus become old now but the seats were comfortable.

Grey Hound introduced new bus yesterday. Painting looks good .The first service commenced yesterday from Ernakulam.
Old 16th August 2011, 19:56   #1008
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: TNSTC Volvo - Trichy-Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Low Floor Volvos run by TNSTC - five services a day Trichy-Chennai.

Rs.330 Fare - a steal
  • The evening services start 1830 hrs and are there every hour or so - ideal for those wanting to get to the airport for a night flight
I tried out the 1830hrs service last week from Trichy to Chennai ; it was a beautiful ride through incessant heavy rain - seeing the lightning lit sky through the front windscreen was a treat .

Water did seep in through front door gaps and through wheel well.

We were in Ashok Pillar area at about 2345hrs.
Old 17th August 2011, 11:04   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold class View Post
Grey Hound introduced new bus yesterday. Painting looks good .The first service commenced yesterday from Ernakulam.
Thats a good news.
I prefer this bus since it starts late, do not stop for dinner, skips Trichur etc. The ride quality was far better compared to some other operators though it was an old bus.
Old 24th August 2011, 23:10   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Viking Auto Tranny in KPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshmig_cbe View Post
Recently KPN launched the trial run of the first intercity bus with Automatic transmission, The bus plies between Chennai and Coimbatore. The success of Automatic tranmission in city bus is moving to intercity buses now...
More photos of the KPN's Viking fitted with Auto transmission.
The engine and tranny is fine tuned to the extent that mileage difference is very less or sometime better as told by driver.

Intercity Bus travel reviews-p230811_14.55.jpg

Intercity Bus travel reviews-p230811_15.08.jpg

Intercity Bus travel reviews-p230811_14.56.jpg

Last edited by Ashley2 : 24th August 2011 at 23:30.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 11:11   #1011
BHPian

Re: Viking Auto Tranny in KPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
More photos of the KPN's Viking fitted with Auto transmission.
The engine and tranny is fine tuned to the extent that mileage difference is very less or sometime better as told by driver.
Is this done by the customer or by AL?
If the performance of the bus is good, then i would say its the Indian answer to Volvo's i-Shift which is coming soon! How well AL can make use of this is to be seen!
Old 25th August 2011, 12:22   #1012
Zed
BHPian

Is there a value proposition in an auto box for a long distance route for a private operator ?
I cannot believe that the answer is driver comfort judging by what I see in the pictures. Passenger comfort perhaps ?
Old 25th August 2011, 12:28   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Is this done by the customer or by AL?
If the performance of the bus is good, then i would say its the Indian answer to Volvo's i-Shift which is coming soon! How well AL can make use of this is to be seen!
This was initiated by customer and commisioned with the help of AL and Allision
Old 25th August 2011, 12:34   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Is there a value proposition in an auto box for a long distance route for a private operator ?
I cannot believe that the answer is driver comfort judging by what I see in the pictures. Passenger comfort perhaps ?
How is it not driver comfort?? Is this not better than having to change gear manually operating a heavy clutch, especially in the crowded Indian cities?? Remember bus terminals are generally in the center of cities, which means from big cities, its almost an hour of driving inside the city before reaching a situation of highway cruising. Also some of our highways are very crowded, meaning having to drop a gear regularly to overtake slow moving traffic. An automatic tranmission is a boon to any Indian bus driver.

In fact, other than easing driver fatigue I see no major advantage of having an auto-box.
Old 25th August 2011, 13:54   #1015
Zed
BHPian

I see the point in your argument. But just looking at the photographs its apparent that there are plenty of improvement possible (Ergonomic in general) that can improve driver comfort throughout the journey and not just in the start and end points. The block of wood for a dead pedal is a case in point. I would have through that an Auto transmission made sense at a later part of the design evolution process from a driver comfort perspective, rather than plonking it in a bus with a block of wood for a dead pedal, a seat that is certainly not the benchmark for comfort, sharp edges all around the driver that look ready to maim, the steering wheel within 2 inches of the drivers crotch...
Old 25th August 2011, 14:05   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I see the point in your argument. But just looking at the photographs its apparent that there are plenty of improvement possible (Ergonomic in general) that can improve driver comfort throughout the journey and not just in the start and end points. The block of wood for a dead pedal is a case in point. I would have through that an Auto transmission made sense at a later part of the design evolution process from a driver comfort perspective, rather than plonking it in a bus with a block of wood for a dead pedal, a seat that is certainly not the benchmark for comfort, sharp edges all around the driver that look ready to maim, the steering wheel within 2 inches of the drivers crotch...
I never said its a good or even an "ok" driver environment. But the auto box is a step in the right direction, even though they may have skipped a few steps.
Old 25th August 2011, 15:00   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2;2480620
[ATTACH
599125[/ATTACH]
What is this switch for? Eco/power mode?
Old 25th August 2011, 15:28   #1018
Team-BHP Support

^^ Indian buses are not known to be powerful as Volvos are. With the AT, wouldn't it difficult for the driver to navigate ghat sections/overtaking easily?

On most buses, a fully loaded MT transport bus moans away to glory climbing a ghat. The driver inevitably drops couple of gears to even 1st at times to climb. Will the AT make this simple?
Old 25th August 2011, 15:34   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
^^ Indian buses are not known to be powerful as Volvos are. With the AT, wouldn't it difficult for the driver to navigate ghat sections/overtaking easily?

On most buses, a fully loaded MT transport bus moans away to glory climbing a ghat. The driver inevitably drops couple of gears to even 1st at times to climb. Will the AT make this simple?
Isn't that why we have different modes in AT? I guess, the engineers must have worked out some solution for this, especially, the route which KPN takes(NH47 untill krishnagiri, then onto CBE) is with quite a lot of uphill sections, moreover, loading is not usually a problem for these private carriers. They have 36 seats, luggage weight and the laden weight of the bus would have been considered while gear ratios were formulated.(Just my guess)
Old 25th August 2011, 21:59   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
What is this switch for? Eco/power mode?
where is that switch provided?
I am not able to find out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

There are enough home work done and the buses can easily negotiate the ghats. Additionally Indian buses are'nt under powered anymore.
Climbing the hills requiring a shift to first gear is a problem of the application of that bus and not the problem of the bus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks