Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2015, 05:58   #136
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Well they may be genuine, the Brembos, but I heard a set was selling for some 3k which I thought was a bit low. Then again, who knows.
The 3K (approx.) was for KTM 2 wheeler brake pads as per their listing on TBHP classifieds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I've bought brembo brake pads for my fiat from them 2 years ago. Genuine stuff. I think they are even listed as Dealers in TBHP Classifieds.
Thanks for sharing that info. Gives confidence to go ahead with the order. I saw their listing on TBHP only after which I contacted them for a quote. One Mr.Amit responded to my sales queries.
Old 11th June 2015, 08:54   #137
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8

Ajay,

Any good HID/LED headlamps can you suggest? Something which can be ordered in India and is not very difficult to install. A plug and play would be nice.

Or at best, we just might change the headlamp bulb.

[The OE HID of Yeti is prohibitively expensive, IIRC it was pegged at ~1.25 L for a pair]
Old 11th June 2015, 11:11   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Ajay,

Any good HID/LED headlamps can you suggest? Something which can be ordered in India and is not very difficult to install. A plug and play would be nice.

[The OE HID of Yeti is prohibitively expensive, IIRC it was pegged at ~1.25 L for a pair]
Been using Philips 4300k H4 HIDs for over a year. They are great, and are focused well. Lighting has improved a huge amount, and they don't blind oncoming drivers. The only issue is they give you a bulb fused error, but that can be fixed by purchasing Morimoto error cancellers.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 11:15   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Ajay,

Before installing the OE xenons, I had tried H4 bi-xenon kits of Philips as well as Blesk. Philips kit was from my Octavia which I had tailored to fit in a projector setup. But it started giving problems and then I ordered Blesk (OE supplier for VAG from what I've heard) HID kit. That was also plug and play H4 size bi-xenons designed for reflector setup. Even then the beam cannot be as controlled in a reflector as compared to a projector. There is still some uncontrolled scattering of light but same time its not so bad too. Anyways, I removed Blesk kit as well as Lightforce HIDs and finally went for OE headlamps. They retail at such costs that even Audi/Merc/BMW headlamps can be found at cheaper prices. I fail to understand the pricing. However I bought it much cheaper from an ebay seller in UK and got it hand carried by a cousin who was travelling that time. The ballast, bulbs, AFS and wiring kit was purchased from Vagtune. Even then the cost was pretty high for the whole kit. I would have spent about 30 K less for the pair (approx.) than what you mentioned. I think now Vagtune sells it at an even higher price.

I haven't tried the LED head lamps yet. H4 bi-xenon kit is easy to install and use. LEDs must be easier I guess but I am not familiar with the setup as yet.

Another option is to retrofit a projector in the reflector headlamp like Gannu did for his Polo. I had done it in my Octavia HL. This gives the same result at a fraction of the cost. But a lot depends on the workmanship as this involves very careful and fine work.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 11:53   #140
BHPian

You could look at Phillips HID's. Talked to a friend who says cost should be around 7 to 8 k. Tempted myself. I had no idea they are so reasonable.
Carcrazy60 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 20:48   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Been using Philips 4300k H4 HIDs for over a year. They are great, and are focused well. Lighting has improved a huge amount, and they don't blind oncoming drivers.
Thanks Akshay, are they plug & play? And for both low beam & high beam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
You could look at Phillips HID's. Talked to a friend who says cost should be around 7 to 8 k. Tempted myself. I had no idea they are so reasonable.
Available at Patna? Car's service is due. Will get them fitted.

Ajay - Thanks for the detailed reply Problem is my location, else the car would have got treatment at Pete's. Will try with the Philips option as of now.
Old 11th June 2015, 20:50   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes the Yeti has H4 bulbs so high and low in one bulb. The HID too is like that. So plug and play. But most likely you will get the bulb fused error for headlamps, so either live with it or get Morimoto Can Bus error cancellers.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 22:01   #143
BHPian

Quote:

Available at Patna? Car's service is due. Will get them fitted.

Ajay - Thanks for the detailed reply Problem is my location, else the car would have got treatment at Pete's. Will try with the Philips option as of now.
If you want, you can go with projector setup. Someone who is expert enough should be able to install the projector in current headlight housing. But its not reversible. I can help you source the parts though
abbey4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 21:07   #144
BHPian

My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on...

Got Yeti smart waxed again from Xpress Garage, Calicut. Impressive work these guys do. The car is restored to a better condition than when it was delivered, inside out. Very impressed with their work!

Some mods are being carried out and have been busy with it lately. Meanwhile here's a peek of Yeti as of now (clicked from mob and edited for fun sake). Better pics and details coming up soon, after the mods are done.

My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-imageuploadedbyteambhp1434555388.335861.jpg
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-imageuploadedbyteambhp1434556016_781475.jpg

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 17th June 2015 at 21:28. Reason: Added 2nd pic.
Old 17th June 2015, 21:40   #145
BHPian

Hi ajaypjayaraj, The yeti looks fabulous after wax treatment. Can you please post what are the wax compounds/brand they used for your yeti?
Thanks for posting the nice pictures.
Old 17th June 2015, 21:59   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHigh View Post
Hi ajaypjayaraj, The yeti looks fabulous after wax treatment. Can you please post what are the wax compounds/brand they used for your yeti?

Thanks for posting the nice pictures.

Hi, they use smarwax products as well as products from chemical guys depending on what surface it is applied on and what treatment is given. You can read briefly about the procedure here - http://www.petes.in/detailing-a-brief-description/
Old 19th June 2015, 19:10   #147
BHPian

Hi ajay
My wonderful travel-mate is due for 60k service, need advises on what to tend. specifically. I'm looking up the manual and the service booklet alongside which mentions all the things to be done at this service interval. There is nothing much of a concern except a noise that I hear coming near the right fender under the hood, which to me sounds like related to the timing belt or the pulley. I did get the water pump changed last year and this sound started emanating soon after.

The other one is a mild grump every time I go over a sizable hump, on contraction of the front struts, which I think could be related to the bushes. Awaiting your suggestions.
Old 19th June 2015, 21:18   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
Hi ajay
My wonderful travel-mate is due for 60k service, need advises on what to tend. specifically. I'm looking up the manual and the service booklet alongside which mentions all the things to be done at this service interval. There is nothing much of a concern except a noise that I hear coming near the right fender under the hood, which to me sounds like related to the timing belt or the pulley. I did get the water pump changed last year and this sound started emanating soon after.

The other one is a mild grump every time I go over a sizable hump, on contraction of the front struts, which I think could be related to the bushes. Awaiting your suggestions.
For 60K Kms, here is the extract from MY 2010 model Skoda Yeti workshop manual (take it as guidance only as there might be revisions and changes to the manual which won't be applied here):

At each service interval:
Work involved
----------------------------------------------------
– Interrogating fault
– Interrogating fault memory of all systems
– Reset service interval display
– Horn: inspection
– Lock cylinder: Check function
– Check proper operation of the panoramic sun roof, clean and grease
– Engine oil: Drain off or suction off, Replace engine oil filter, Fill in new oil
– Checking the battery
– Inspect plenum chamber for dirt, clean if necessary
– Check windscreen for damage
– Replace fuel filter - diesel engine with diesel fuel operation, which does not comply with standard DIN EN 590 (every 30 000 km)
– Check brake fluid level, if necessary top up with brake fluid
– Inspecting brake system for leaks and damage
– Check the brake lining thickness
– Check the tyre pressure (including spare wheel), correct the tyre pressure if necessary
– Inspect the tyre wear pattern (including spare wheel)
– Inspect tyre tread depth (including spare wheel) and record (FL..., FR..., RR..., RL..., SP...)
– Check the "use by date" of the brakedown set (if present)
– Check the underbody protection and body paintwork
– Inspect original trailer coupling device
– Complete the Service plan
– Complete and attach service mirror tag to the interior rear-view mirror
– Hand customer the completed and signed form

Additional inspection work for the interval service
Every 60,000 km or 4 years
----------------------------------------------------
– Inspect operation of all switches, all electrical components, controls and displays
– Inspect windscreen wiper and washer system and condition of wiper blades, adjust where necessary and top up with washer fluid
– Visual inspection of engine and parts in the engine compartment for leaks and damage
– Check the anti-freeze in the cooling system and record ...... °C, check for leaks, top up coolant if necessary
– Poly V-belt - inspect condition and tension on engines without a tensioner pulley
– Gearbox, final drive and joint boots: Visual inspection for leaks and damage
– Inspect the axle joints and joint boots for leaks and damage
– Inspect play, correct attachment and sealing boots on the track rod ends
– Inspect exhaust system for leaks, damage and attachment
– Check headlights, adjust if necessary
– Lubricate flap lock for front flap
– Perform a test drive

Regarding the sound, get the suspension checked up during service. It could be due to wear of sway bar end link rod/coupling rod bush or some other bush. I am not sure but just a wild guess. I have not faced it and hence cannot comment much on it. The timing kit renewal is scheduled during 120,000 Kms service as per manual for Indian Yetis.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:15   #149
BHPian

Ajay,

I am looking for a versatile and tough vehicle that could double up as a family vehicle for long trips. By family I mean my parents, wife and two young kids.

The Yeti fits in perfectly for the daily commute but for the lack of space if the vehicle is intended to be used by family for long trips.

Can two small seats be fitted into the boot (like those on the safari)?
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:33   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Ajay,

I am looking for a versatile and tough vehicle that could double up as a family vehicle for long trips. By family I mean my parents, wife and two young kids.

The Yeti fits in perfectly for the daily commute but for the lack of space if the vehicle is intended to be used by family for long trips.

Can two small seats be fitted into the boot (like those on the safari)?
The Yeti's rear seats as you know are varioflex seating which makes it possible to remove each of the 3 seats one by one. 2 of these itself do not fit in the boot in a way to seat people. If you remove the spare wheel and the storage boxes to lower the boot floor, you might be able to squeeze seats of that size in there. But to know for sure, you will have to actually try that.

Without lowering the floor there wont be any head room after placing a seat in the boot. Leg room will be pretty tight too but you can push the mid row seats forward to squeeze enough room for atleast kids I guess. If you manage to get that done, you will need a roof box or carrier for the luggage, and ofcourse a puncture repair kit with compressor as you have removed the spare wheel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks