Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2014, 22:06   #106
BHPian

re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Pg 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You can't exchage PM's with a newbie. I would suggest to discuss it over here for the benefit of majority. Unless its personal
Hey Sheel, thanks for pointing that out. I was replying from my iPhone app and did not realize that I was telling a newbie to PM me

Sorry about that Karthik. You can contact me on +971 503919474. Thanks.
Old 28th October 2014, 07:19   #107
BHPian

re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Pg 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
More pics and videos coming up soon with auto parking, AFS bi-xenon head lamps, etc. in action..
Sorry that I couldn't upload videos till now as there were some minor issues to be corrected and had been busy with some other stuff too.

Finally got the ABS speed sensors swapped with highline 4X4 ones yesterday. Have tried out parallel parking and un-parking in different situations. Works like a charm. Yet to try out vertical parking and un-parking.

With the previous ABS speed sensors (which came with the car), the accuracy was good for previous version of autoparking. PLA 2.0 requires ABS speed sensors to scan the wheel movement more than 10 times faster compared to the normal ABS speed sensors. This is because ver 2.0 can park your car in the tightest of spaces and demands much more accurate inputs to execute the maneuver. Sourcing the 4X4 version highline sensors took time. Thanks to Sugesh for finding the right vendor and sourcing the part for me.

Once I try out all systems and make sure they are up and running the way it is supposed to be, will try to take videos of auto parking and un-parking, AFS, etc. when I get a chance. Sometime soon hopefully...
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 18:35   #108
BHPian

Had gone out for some work in the morning and got chance to try out vertical auto parking too. Was not very happy with the result. Especially when I have tried out version 2.0 auto parking of VW in Dubai recently and I know how accurate it works. When I tried vertical parking in the morning, noticed that the car was not aligning properly into the empty slot while backing up. After lunch, took out VCDS and sat with the car for sometime. Played around with a few parameters in the Park/steer assist module and Bingo! learnt how to adjust how the car behaves during auto parking. It was fun gambling with the figures and trying out different settings which decides how close your car would park from the curb, when your car would steer into the parallel parking slot, how close/far from the car ahead would your front fender sweep into the space (can set it to turn in making almost a close shave! However after trying that out and having some fun, set it to a safe setting), how parallel (out or in) you park from the car parked ahead, etc. These parameters are not direct values for the things mentioned above but some other combination of settings which decides the above factors. After fiddling with it for hours, have set it to an acceptable level of accuracy.

Haven't got a chance to take proper videos yet and I would be busy with some other things in the next few days. Will get proper videos soon after that but here's a teaser meanwhile, taken with my mobile phone (Kindly excuse the quality and orientation). Thanks.

Detailed and better quality videos coming up soon...

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 28th October 2014 at 18:41. Reason: Typo
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 00:30   #109
BHPian

... and here it is! Yeti with VW's Intelligent Park Assist Retrofitted - the detailed video as promised. Captured last Sunday.

ajaypjayaraj is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 08:50   #110
BHPian

This is amazing. The way it parked your car so effortlessly left me awestruck. Kudos to you for having executed such a complicated mod on your beloved car
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 16:26   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
This is amazing. The way it parked your car so effortlessly left me awestruck. Kudos to you for having executed such a complicated mod on your beloved car

Thanks Mr.mitsuvolk! The system is complicated, Yes, but that's for VW engineers to worry. Getting this retrofitted is almost plug and play except for a few things plus the need for upgrading some other modules so as to support it. VAG car retrofit passion is like an expensive LEGO hobby! Atleast for me that's what it is.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 00:18   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Thanks Mr.mitsuvolk! The system is complicated, Yes, but that's for VW engineers to worry. Getting this retrofitted is almost plug and play except for a few things plus the need for upgrading some other modules so as to support it. VAG car retrofit passion is like an expensive LEGO hobby! Atleast for me that's what it is.
It indeed is an expensive hobby but the outcome is equally rewarding. I wish you keep the hobby going on.
A couple of my non-teambhp friends were left amazed after seeing the video.
OT : your driveway looks awesome
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 13:03   #113
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Pg

What were the coding changes to make it more accurate. Can you please give more details as even i would like to try it.
Old 7th November 2014, 13:24   #114
BHPian

My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy_99 View Post
What were the coding changes to make it more accurate. Can you please give more details as even i would like to try it.

Go to the adaptation list in Park/Lane assist module. There are channels for -
Wheel circ.
Car length adjustment
Car width adjustment
Distance from curb
Change each to different values (in mm) and see how your car behaves. It is a trial and error method for finding a setting which can manipulate the calculations of the module to suit your car. I played around with it to check results of various combinations and finally set everything except wheel circ. back to original which is 0.

I would recommend changing wheel circ. value alone and see the results. May be that would be sufficient for you too. Mine is fine as you can see in the video. Basically you are cheating the module giving offset values to suit your requirement. That's all. Good luck!

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 7th November 2014 at 13:25.
Old 7th November 2014, 16:12   #115
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Pag

Those are some mind-boggling (not to mention expensive) mods, Ajay! Have seen your car around town, the Nurburgring map on the fender looks brilliant.

Keep on motoring (and modding)!
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 16:41   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Those are some mind-boggling (not to mention expensive) mods, Ajay! Have seen your car around town, the Nurburgring map on the fender looks brilliant.

Keep on motoring (and modding)!

Thanks coloneljasi! Modding was a passion right from childhood. Back then it used to be toys & RC cars, and now its real cars.

I was in your showroom last week for the campaign on F30 and to check out the new X5. Din't see you around, might have been busy I guess. Will meet you, may be next time.

Happy motoring!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 17:39   #117
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Pag

I had done the same upgrade in my Laura, over a year ago at Vagtune (Sukesh). Quite an interesting feature. The only limitation is the Indian parking space conditions. This feature does multiple maneuvers to ensure the car is parked correctly.

It also has the "un-park" feature.

@ Ajay, why don't you make a video of the un-park feature and post it as well. I really liked your video creating skills, especially because there were three camera angles in a single video.

Last edited by nitinbose : 7th November 2014 at 17:44.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 18:44   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
@ Ajay, why don't you make a video of the un-park feature and post it as well. I really liked your video creating skills, especially because there were three camera angles in a single video.

Thanks nitinbose! If you watch the complete video, it has all the functions of Park Assist -
1) Parallel parking
2) Unparking
3) Transverse parking
It's 3 videos actually. I've just combined it into one instead of uploading videos separately.
Old 21st November 2014, 17:03   #119
BHPian

How does fatigue recognition work? What was installed for it?
Old 21st November 2014, 19:01   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
How does fatigue recognition work? What was installed for it?
This is how it works - http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/tech...detection.html

It is a passive system unlike Volvo's Face recognition system to monitor driver fatigue which has sensors that monitor the driver directly. This one does not require additional wiring or sensors to be installed. I had upgraded CAN Gateway module along with CECM and other modules to Highline to be able to retrofit advanced features like AFS, Park assist, etc. Fatigue recognition is a feature supported by Highline CAN Gateway module. So it was just a matter of activating it via VCDS.

Some Mercs also have this kind of passive system for detecting driver fatigue. However it is not easy to fool the system. I have never got a warning by trying to simulate the driving style of a driver who is dozing off. But it does work when you test or simulate it with VCDS. A friend tried the same simulating of driving style in his Merc and even that did not trigger any alarms. But once he actually dozed off and the car woke him up! Fatigue recognition did work when it mattered. So I guess the programmers have done a good job of making a system which does some pretty good logical calculations to ensure driver alertness.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 21st November 2014 at 19:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks