Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2015, 13:32   #166
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I drove around for half km at low speeds, Guess that isn't enough? Reseting the codes via VCD,s will just make them reappear,

Yes have got the A version of the ABS sensors installed,

I am looking around for the coding, But whats bothering me is several other errors including, Airbag, No bending function available etc. Can understand about the ABS, ESP, steering errors but the others too are normal?

The trim of the left side passenger airbag was removed, And error can throwup even if the trim is removed?
If the fault codes are re-appearing after resetting with VCDS, it will not reset by driving also. Means there is some abnormal condition.

Don't get worried about too many faults triggered in the cluster. I had the same experience. And I was worried like you wondering if things got screwed. But as always it has happened, you get the last bit of coding right and everything resets back to normal. Coding can get frustrating at times, till you strike the right note, and then it all feels fun. Hope you sort it out soon. Just a step more to go!
Old 5th December 2015, 13:39   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
If the fault codes are re-appearing after resetting with VCDS, it will not reset by driving also. Means there is some abnormal condition.

Don't get worried about too many faults triggered in the cluster. I had the same experience. And I was worried like you wondering if things got screwed. But as always it has happened, you get the last bit of coding right and everything resets back to normal. Coding can get frustrating at times, till you strike the right note, and then it all feels fun. Hope you sort it out soon. Just a step more to go!
Seriously it gets really frustrating, last 3 days has been just too much together to handle! Just trying to get things sorted out as soon as possible, Will surely let you know what happens, (Hopefully a good outcome)
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 22:43   #168
BHPian

Project update...

1) Interior colour changed to all black

2) Original Alcantara for seats (just like OE Alcantara seats), parts of door pads and fake wood trim on dash board

3) 10 channel 600W Dynaudio premium DSP sound system with OE wiring harness (plus 2 subs = total 12 channels)

4) Pioneer mono block for subs replaced with Focal amp

5) Foot well lighting front & rear

6) Direct TPMS for individual tyre pressure monitoring

7) VW MK7 Golf GTI gear knob (golf ball shaped)

8) Steering wheel wrapped with perforated leather and Alcantara

Yeti has crossed 5 years. And right now it feels brand new with the complete transformation of interior, including the change in gear knob and mods on steering wheel. It looks different, it feels different and I'm loving every bit of it especially because I am a fan of all black interior. Yeti feels more premium and truly sporty inside out with this upgrade. Alcantara fakes were available all around the Globe but original Alcantara was hard to find. After quite some searching, found some left over roll in a garage in LA after they did interior of some Ferrari. I sourced Alcantara material with the help of my brother. Upholstery work for converting to Alcantara and black leather for seats, parts of dashboard and door pads - outsourced by Color Glo. If you contact Anish at Color Glo, he will guide you for getting the upholstery work done. Top and bottom part of steering wheel, side part of the door pads (where it was leather earlier, except the hand resting area), fake wood trim on dash board and seat front areas covered with Alcantara. It feels good to hold the wheel now. Alcantara feels quite good to touch and looks very classy. Another plus point is, since Alcantara is synthetic, you don't have to worry about it getting damaged like leather. Another favourite upgrade on the interior is the MK7 Golf GTI golf ball gear knob.. Its just too good and a perfect add on for the all black interior.

Thanks to Color Glo, Kochi for transforming the interior. A hard working team of professionals. Very friendly and helpful guys there. Was there for a week to complete all work as I myself had some DIY work going on in parallel and was fun working with them. Gave me a replacement car for use for the whole week. Was pleasantly surprised with their hospitality. Premium car authorised service centres haven't offered me that level of service. The seat upholstery is not up to the factory perfect finishing but still they have done a good job. Will be uploading pics soon and you can see for yourself the quality of work. Guys knew what level of perfection I expected and they admitted it wasn't up to their own satisfaction. I was happy with their work anyways. Only when you compare factory stitching and fitting side to side, it will be evident, if you observe closely. Since its all black including stitching, its not so evident. So I told them not to worry about it and that they have done a good job. One thing is true that it is almost impossible to find factory perfect work overall. There might be people with expertise in some areas of work but the complete job at factory level perfection is next to impossible to find. It takes not only very skilled and competent people, but a perfect combination of the right tools, garage equipment, time, patience, right spares and a garage which is not busy with too much work, to achieve anywhere close to factory quality of work. That is why, as much as possible, I prefer OE retrofits. Kind of helps preserve the factory finish and quality of the car. So mods outside OE are kept to bare minimum.

Thanks to the audio installation team at Auto tree, Kochi. I had taken their help to do some final bits of wiring in the audio installation and to install all 10 speakers in the 4 doors. Installed the mid range drivers in the dedicated location on the front doors (there is a recess on the metal panel behind door pad where the midrange driver should be fitted. Another set of very friendly and professional guys there and was fun working with this team too. Bought the Focal amp from them.

New sound system has taken the listening experience to a new level with 10 high quality drivers from Dynaudio and 2 subs from JL audio all actively crossed over from 2 amps (10 channel OE amp for Dynaudio system and Focal amp for subs). Being in the rock band throughout school n college, every note played on every instrument matters to me and now I can listen to the strumming of guitar in its true clarity thanks to the mid range drivers n tweeters, and every note played on the bass guitar is clear even in low volume thanks to the Dynaudio woofers and JL audio subs all handling separate range of lows without overlapping but producing the entire range of frequencies without losing out on any part of the music. Its like being in the studio no matter what you are listening to, Rock, Pop, Hip hop, Classical or any genre. Pump up the volume and it feels like being in a live concert. And those Dynaudio drivers can handle good power. Clean, crisp and deep at low volume as well as when maxed out. Sound upgrade Nirvana achieved! I had upgraded my F30 sound system to Bavsound stage 1 with new under seat Ghost subs and Bimmertech match DSP amp. In comparison, Dynaudio sounds better. But Bavsound is still in breaking in period and it is starting to sound better day by day. Lot of tuning options too in the match amp to get that correct audio quality you need. Dynaudio does not give you much control over the DSP but it already sounds tuned to perfection. I don't feel the need to tune it. Both cars audio upgrade has made a good improvement over the earlier setup.

Thanks to Bal tyres, Calicut for Direct TPMS individual tyre sensor installation. TPMS antenna wiring and installation was DIY. Measured values with VCDS and all individual tyre pressures are transmitted and received correctly. System working good. But there is a component security issue it seems (needs deeper digging to be sure), due to which I am not getting the individual tyre pressure displayed on MFD. That part of coding/adaptation is yet to be done, or it could even be that the cluster needs an upgrade. Didn't get time for much fault finding as I've been busy with retrofits and DIYs on F30 too. Have done several upgrades and retrofits on F30 this vacation just the way I have done on Yeti. More on that later.

Foot well lighting wiring and coding was also DIY. I guess the wiring kit was for VW Golf due to which the connectors for under seat lights are a little short in length. Hence haven't connected the lights. Tried out and kept it removed. Need to extend the cables a bit and will hook up the foot well lights.

Here are some clicks. I guess it is safer to put these mobile clicked pics rather than put up good quality pics and get accused of putting up manufacturer pics and doing marketing for the component makers of whatever upgrades I did. What nonsense! Fact is, with so much work going on with 2 cars together, did not have the patience to sit with camera and click every stage. That's why just random mobile clicks for now.

Alcantara on front seats. All panels black now except for light grey interior trim on the upper part. Note the steering wheel wrapped with Alcantara and perforated leather. Also, the fake wood trim covered in Alcantara.
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-1.jpg

Note the Golf MK7 GTI gear knob
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-2.jpg

Rear seats with Alcantara
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-3.jpg

10 channel DSP Amp for Dynaudio system in its dedicated location during the installation with its OE base and cover (under front passenger seat, it even has dedicated bolting arrangements in the location. Just bolt on). The wire seen here is for the foot well lighting
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-5.jpg

Mid range fitted in the dedicated location. Dynaudio does not come for Skoda Yeti, hence mid range driver had to be cut out from the casing which was together with the front woofer
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-6.jpg

Note the recess on the door for the mid range driver
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-7.jpg

Dynaudio woofer fitted on rear door
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-8.jpg

Alcantara on door pads and you can see the extra grill for the mid range
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-9.jpg

Except for TPMS installation, all other upgrades on the inside this time. RDKS antenna is near the rear axle.
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-10.jpg
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 23:56   #169
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! That's quite a big update and a very good one at that.

Love the interiors. One cannot go wrong with Alcantara and all black interiors. One of my favourite interiors is from the Zeal edition of the new Octavia.

What you said is absolutely true. OE finish is without comparison. But I can see from the pictures that Color Glo has done a decent job.

And with the way you have described the ICE, I would love to hear it some day.

Hang on to that great car! They don't make things like that nowadays over here.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 09:28   #170
BHPian

Beautiful updates Ajay. It's always a pleasure to see your update post. And I must say looking at your yeti I am very tempted to get one for myself. Keep up with the awesome work and thank you
gargashwin06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 13:44   #171
BHPian

Just couple of pics more showing the new Dynaudio tweeter and a better view of trim on dash board and gear knob.
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-11.jpg

My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-12.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
What you said is absolutely true. OE finish is without comparison. But I can see from the pictures that Color Glo has done a decent job.

And with the way you have described the ICE, I would love to hear it some day.

Hang on to that great car! They don't make things like that nowadays over here.
True. I was telling them that they did a good job and that there is nothing to worry.

Sure, will PM when I drive down Yeti to Kochi next time. May be we could meet up.

Now that I have invested so much on so many hand picked upgrades, the car has become a collector's item. Also if it still looks, feels and performs as good as or better than it was 5 years back, I should not be foolish to let go of it especially after so much of personalization. BMW is on the same route now. I guess I will hold on to these two as a collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargashwin06 View Post
Beautiful updates Ajay. It's always a pleasure to see your update post. And I must say looking at your yeti I am very tempted to get one for myself. Keep up with the awesome work and thank you
Thanks Ashwin. If you wanna have a German machine for personalization, be double sure you have the support available for it orelse be prepared to get all the right tools and stuff for DIY as a hobby. After seeing the work carried out on my Yeti from many places, I decided that I would never give my BMW in the hands of such technicians. BMW upgrades are all 100% DIY except for some advanced level remote coding. Never let anyone touch a panel on it.

Now, even for Yeti, I supervise any such work that is not done by me. No more breaking clips and left over screws and swapping screws. My RNS 510 is secured by Philips screws! Supposed to be done by an "expert". What happened to the original torx screws and why would he swap it for some random screws, even he doesn't have a clue. Clips broken because of improper fitting back, wires not shielded or secured properly, battery terminal left loose without securing properly, dirtying even the ceiling being careless, the list is endless. These precisely engineered cars should not be given to such hands. That is why I invested in proper tools and developed it as a hobby. I always enjoyed doing some hands on technical work anyways, if something automotive, merrier!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 23:41   #172
BHPian

"I had upgraded my F30 sound system to Bavsound stage 1 with new under seat Ghost subs and Bimmertech match DSP amp. In comparison, Dynaudio sounds better. But Bavsound is still in breaking in period and it is starting to sound better day by day. Lot of tuning options too in the match amp to get that correct audio quality you"

Ajay can you pl let me know what was the cost of this upgrade on F30' I too have a prestige model and looking forward to upgrade the sound. Was it DIY or you have to get some technical help. Since I am based in AHMEDABAD so not sure where I can get this done.

My Yeti too is turning 5 in few months and your upgrades have inspired me to hold on to my Yeti
Old 17th March 2016, 06:53   #173
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Help!

My monster's on board music touch screen system seems to have somehow become "locked". It keeps asking for the passcode. Ive tried a variety of numbers. None of these work.
What should I do?
(Apparently this sometimes happens, if and when the vehicle thinks it is under threat of robbery). And the only time this could have happened was when my neighbour's driver recently moved the vehicle from one side to the other, because there was some work going on and I was not in town.
Old 17th March 2016, 08:48   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_i View Post
"I had upgraded my F30 sound system to Bavsound stage 1 with new under seat Ghost subs and Bimmertech match DSP amp. In comparison, Dynaudio sounds better. But Bavsound is still in breaking in period and it is starting to sound better day by day. Lot of tuning options too in the match amp to get that correct audio quality you"

Ajay can you pl let me know what was the cost of this upgrade on F30' I too have a prestige model and looking forward to upgrade the sound. Was it DIY or you have to get some technical help. Since I am based in AHMEDABAD so not sure where I can get this done.

My Yeti too is turning 5 in few months and your upgrades have inspired me to hold on to my Yeti
Amit, I will check mails and get back to you with the cost of Bavsound upgrade. Travelling right now. Give me couple of days.

Hold on to Yeti. Its a keeper. Nothing to compare to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Help!

My monster's on board music touch screen system seems to have somehow become "locked". It keeps asking for the passcode. Ive tried a variety of numbers. None of these work.
What should I do?
(Apparently this sometimes happens, if and when the vehicle thinks it is under threat of robbery). And the only time this could have happened was when my neighbour's driver recently moved the vehicle from one side to the other, because there was some work going on and I was not in town.
I got my code from Skoda service centre upon request. You can check with them and they will get it for you. Keep note of it as it asks for the code when you disconnect the battery sometimes. I have removed HU many times but it does not always ask for the code. Anyways, A.S.S. guys can get the code for you.
Old 18th March 2016, 12:42   #175
BHPian

hi ajay
tastefully done mods, great job!
where did you procure the RNS 510 columbus HU from?
It has satnav but no blue tooth capability right?
is this compatible with the Vento? im looking for an HU that can
has BT as well and navigation capabilities
cheers
Old 18th March 2016, 16:01   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
hi ajay
tastefully done mods, great job!
where did you procure the RNS 510 columbus HU from?
It has satnav but no blue tooth capability right?
is this compatible with the Vento? im looking for an HU that can
has BT as well and navigation capabilities
cheers
Thanks! RNS 510 Columbus was sourced from a garage in UK through my cousin. Stumbled upon it while hunting for some other parts. Have PMed you details. For VW you could get RNS 510, not the Columbus but just RNS 510 which is for VW. But satnav is useless in India as VW haven't released India maps. And for BT you need the BT module.

For vento, there is a new OE HU which comes in the current versions with BT and smart phone mirroring functions. I guess there is already a thread on it. It is not as expensive as RNS 510. I got RNS for the sound quality (apart from proper OE integration and add on possibilities, and flawless functionality).

If you go for aftermarket units, though they say it is fully compatible with steering wheel controls and other car functions, it is never 100% and not close to OE unit's bugfree functioning. There will be some irritating bug which spoils the user experience. Have tried several after market units.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 21:40   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Bavsound stage 1 kit (which includes 4 speakers for the doors and tweeters with OE housing trim for front doors) with damping material and Ghost underseat subs costed around 1200$. Bimmertech amp was 700$ and another 300$ approx for PnP base stereo to hifi converting harness plus OE amp base plate. Later got 100$ discount from Bavsound using a coupon issued by Bimmertech which was applicable only for Bavsound customers.
Old 19th March 2016, 00:35   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Was it DIY or you have to get some technical help. Since I am based in AHMEDABAD so not sure where I can get this done.
Sorry, missed that part. Yes it was a complete DIY installation and was pretty simple and straightforward. Simply follow the youtube video by Bavsound for installation guidance. If at all you are planning to give it outside for installation, give it to someone who has experience with these type of cars so that he knows how to remove and box back the panels and door pads without breaking anything and also avoid causing rattles due to improper fitting.
Old 19th March 2016, 12:23   #179
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I got my code from Skoda service centre upon request. You can check with them and they will get it for you. Keep note of it as it asks for the code when you disconnect the battery sometimes. I have removed HU many times but it does not always ask for the code. Anyways, A.S.S. guys can get the code for you.
I went and got it done at my Service Centre - a bit of a long drive but worth it. Because I got one of those nice wooden coat hangers fitted to the head rest and changed my Flippy Key batteries and all that.

Good to visit the service centre once in a way. Helps with relationships too.

Met the new GM Service for Vinayaka - Mr Chengappa - very nice and helpful man so I think my Yeti is in good hands.

Ive also ordered a set of those Rubberised ABS Plastic Fender Covers for the Yeti - it comes in a set of 6 and is to be glued on to the fenders to prevent damage by passing bikes etc - will end up looking a bit like a Kwid, with the arches all covered in black. I guess this stuff will come in a week and I can get it fixed sometime next week or week after.

Looking forward to it.
Old 19th March 2016, 14:16   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ive also ordered a set of those Rubberised ABS Plastic Fender Covers for the Yeti - it comes in a set of 6 and is to be glued on to the fenders to prevent damage by passing bikes etc - will end up looking a bit like a Kwid, with the arches all covered in black.
Its actually the other way around. It belongs to and looks home on a Yeti which is a true x-over where as its just a trend these days to add these mouldings on any hatchback or car and make it look like a wanna be x-over.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks