Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2014, 19:37   #121
BHPian

I guess changing the canbus while the car is under warranty would be difficult. What's the cost? I have done some long distance driving and fatigue recognition would be a welcome addition to the Yeti's bag of tricks. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 21st November 2014, 19:53   #122
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Pag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
I guess changing the canbus while the car is under warranty would be difficult. What's the cost? I have done some long distance driving and fatigue recognition would be a welcome addition to the Yeti's bag of tricks. Thanks for the quick reply.
I wouldn't count on the warranty after such an upgrade. Regarding cost, the thing is I upgraded/retrofitted many modules together and payed lump sum. I don't remember exactly but I guess CAN Gateway upgrade alone was around 14K INR or so. No probs mate.
Old 22nd February 2015, 12:44   #123
VBN
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8

hi Ajaypjayaraj, did you instal any dash cams?
Old 22nd February 2015, 13:21   #124
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN View Post
hi Ajaypjayaraj, did you instal any dash cams?
Not yet. Dash cam or a front cam was considered but my projects are still going on as per priority and availability of most desired upgrades. The thing is, when you set out for a lot of up-gradation and tuning, the possibilities are endless and the list is never ending. I had done a bit of reading about dash cams on tbhp threads. Haven't got one myself yet anyways.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 18:26   #125
BHPian

Time for me to plan some upgrade. But before i ask let me share my recent upgrade of aftermarket projector setup. There's huge improvement in lights. It's a 35 w HID kit with FXr Projector.

I had to get this harness sourced from AVSTuning to cancel out any errors and now the lights works perfectly
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...ess-49746.html

Now coming back to Upgrades: i have clocked 92k kms and i think i should pro actively get the suspension job done. However I am also thinking instead of going with OEM setup, why not upgrade to bilstein B6. So the question what else need to be replaced along with shocks (tie rods/antiroll bars). Is it worth going for this upgrade

The second upgrade i am looking at is upgrading brakes to 320mm disk an caliper along with DS2500 pads. Many have done it on briskoda forum and according to them it's a bolt on job and can easily be done. is it worth the upgrade? Where can i source them?
Attached Thumbnails
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-yeti-hid.jpg  

abbey4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 18:46   #126
Team-BHP Support

Hey buddy, great mod there. Didn't know you had projectors, I thought you had just installed an HID kit like me. I'm yet to install the error cancellers to see if they work with my setup.

For the shocks, I would say check out the Koni FSDs. They will be cheaper than the Bilsteins, and will give you comfort and sporty handling.

Replace other worn out parts with OEM parts.

As for the brake upgrade, unless you have a map and really push the car I think changing the pads should be more than enough. I know on my car the brakes feel a bit inadequate, but after coding brake assist through VCDS the feel got a lot better.
Old 14th April 2015, 19:00   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hey buddy, great mod there. Didn't know you had projectors, I thought you had just installed an HID kit like me. I'm yet to install the error cancellers to see if they work with my setup.

For the shocks, I would say check out the Koni FSDs. They will be cheaper than the Bilsteins, and will give you comfort and sporty handling.

Replace other worn out parts with OEM parts.

As for the brake upgrade, unless you have a map and really push the car I think changing the pads should be more than enough. I know on my car the brakes feel a bit inadequate, but after coding brake assist through VCDS the feel got a lot better.
Thanks, Yeah i went with projector setup. The TRS harness works great.

I can check out Koni. What about the rear shocks? For the brakes, since mine has already done 92k i believe i would also have to go for disc change, that's when i was thinking why not upgrade since i will anyway have to get new set of disc.
Old 14th April 2015, 19:47   #128
BHPian

If you are planning to upgrade shocks, it is a good idea to consider sport shocks like Bilstein B6. It performs great and is a balance between performance and comfort. To give you a better idea, imagine upsizing your wheels to plus one size, from 16" to 17". You will feel that much of difference in comfort between stock and B6, that's all, but quite an improvement in performance especially while cornering. You will love the pace you can maintain (less braking) as compared to that of shock setup when you tackle turns. B6 was in the range of 60K for all 4 shocks IIRC. Everything else remained same. Only the shocks were replaced in my Yeti. But wait, as I typed, I remembered that Peter said Bilstein discontinued the Yeti specific model. So you might have to check out if it is still available. I managed to get one of the last pieces as per Peter. You could check out Koni shocks too.

To be honest, I never really felt that the brakes were that bad enough to be upgraded, especially after the coding by VCDS like akshay said. I am only thinking of renewing to Brembo pads when the present stock pads wear out. I would save that brake upgrade budget for some other upgrade. After all, the list in endless.
Old 14th April 2015, 20:14   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
If you are planning to upgrade shocks, it is a good idea to consider sport shocks like Bilstein B6. It performs great and is a balance between performance and comfort. To give you a better idea, imagine upsizing your wheels to plus one size, from 16" to 17". You will feel that much of difference in comfort between stock and B6, that's all, but quite an improvement in performance especially while cornering. You will love the pace you can maintain (less braking) as compared to that of shock setup when you tackle turns. B6 was in the range of 60K for all 4 shocks IIRC. Everything else remained same. Only the shocks were replaced in my Yeti. But wait, as I typed, I remembered that Peter said Bilstein discontinued the Yeti specific model. So you might have to check out if it is still available. I managed to get one of the last pieces as per Peter. You could check out Koni shocks too.

To be honest, I never really felt that the brakes were that bad enough to be upgraded, especially after the coding by VCDS like akshay said. I am only thinking of renewing to Brembo pads when the present stock pads wear out. I would save that brake upgrade budget for some other upgrade. After all, the list in endless.
I have a feeling you found the brakes fine because you are running 225 tyres on 17 inchers, and that too performance tyres. In my vRS with stock tyres I found the brakes inadequate, but after getting 225 tyres they felt much, much better.

Also do watch out on the Brembo pads sold cheap here, I don't think they are original since they seem far too cheap.
Old 14th April 2015, 20:27   #130
BHPian

Quote:
I have a feeling you found the brakes fine because you are running 225 tyres on 17 inchers, and that too performance tyres. In my vRS with stock tyres I found the brakes inadequate, but after getting 225 tyres they felt much, much better.
I am running 245 on 17ers. Definitely the reason why I don't feel inadequate braking power. On my previous car, Octavia, I had upsized from 205 stock to 225 performance tyres which meant a drastic improvement in breaking. Yeti with 245 is leech. Abbey could just upsize to 225 and be happy about the breaking I guess instead of changing the brakes. Would be a better idea as tyres need replacement anyways once worn out.

Quote:
Also do watch out on the Brembo pads sold cheap here, I don't think they are original since they seem far too cheap.
I am in touch with a vendor from Goa and got quote for my 3 series as well as Yeti brake pads. He asked for VIN nos. of both cars and then checked for the correct part no. and quoted. Any known Brembo dealer in India?
Old 14th April 2015, 20:33   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am running 245 on 17ers. Definitely the reason why I don't feel inadequate braking power. On my previous car, Octavia, I had upsized from 205 stock to 225 performance tyres which meant a drastic improvement in breaking. Yeti with 245 is leech. Abbey could just upsize to 225 and be happy about the breaking I guess instead of changing the brakes. Would be a better idea as tyres need replacement anyways once worn out.

I am in touch with a vendor from Goa and got quote for my 3 series as well as Yeti brake pads. He asked for VIN nos. of both cars and then checked for the correct part no. and quoted. Any known Brembo dealer in India?
Aah with 245s you have nothing to worry about. With 16" wheels there is nothing great available in 225, at least there wasn't the last time I checked. 215/60 R16 is the upsize for rough roads, which is what I am using and I plan to sticking to this size.

Well they may be genuine, the Brembos, but I heard a set was selling for some 3k which I thought was a bit low. Then again, who knows.
Old 14th April 2015, 20:54   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Well they may be genuine, the Brembos, but I heard a set was selling for some 3k which I thought was a bit low. Then again, who knows.
The Yeti's brake pads were coming for a little over 10K, front and rear together. After he got VIN nos., he came back with the quote (with each part no. of Skoda and BMW pads) and in case of F30, he also quoted brake pad sensors with part nos., if I wanted to replace them along with the pads. From the communication he seemed genuine, but I can't say for sure unless I actually get stuff shipped from him and use it.
Old 14th April 2015, 21:15   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Agree it makes sense. I last changed my tyres at 60k and they still have life left in that, so may be another 15-20k and i will upgrade tyres
Quote:
Is it Laxmikant & COmpany? https://www.facebook.com/carzspares

I think they are genuine Though never purchased anything from them. And yes, I will check availability of shock with Pete tomorrow
abbey4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 22:57   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Agree it makes sense. I last changed my tyres at 60k and they still have life left in that, so may be another 15-20k and i will upgrade tyres

I think they are genuine Though never purchased anything from them. And yes, I will check availability of shock with Pete tomorrow
Yeah that's the one. Although I never saw their FB page before. After seeing their FB page, they seem genuine.

Regarding tyre upgrade, I think that will solve your problem, save you a lot of trouble as well as be light on wallet too.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 23:29   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post

I think they are genuine Though never purchased anything from them.
Quote:
Yeah that's the one. Although I never saw their FB page before. After seeing their FB page, they seem genuine.
I've bought brembo brake pads for my fiat from them 2 years ago. Genuine stuff. I think they are even listed as Dealers in TBHP Classifieds.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks