Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:20   #91
BHPian

Re: Electric Cars...through the eyes of a diehard petrol-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Only the interiors perhaps. And suspension components. Or they'll have probably bolstered the suspension too owing to the battery weight. Electric cars have fewer mechanical parts. A lot of the components will be entirely different.
While that is true. But, I was referring to externals. In India one of the major concerns is the damage done to exterior in fender bender traffic.

So, if you end up damaging a mirror or headlights etc, there may be a risk that you don't get those spares in a car model, which only had a few cars made thru CKD path.

But, with Nexon, it'll have all those components easily available.
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:34   #92
BHPian

Posting the same query form another thread as folks watching this space may have something to share.

How do you see the impact of the current trend towards EVs on sales of fuels (Petrol/Diesel). I know EVs in India (or even globally) are in their infancy but this for sure has the potential to impact fuel sales.

It may not be all gloom and doom but it is hard for someone like me who has no association with Petrol Pumps business, except for being their customer, to understand the same. Can someone share their experience or wisdom here?

What kind of impact or change do you foresee here due to EVs?

I believe that Diesel will continue its hold for a long time than Petrol. Prices may go down of both but sales may not because with a drop in prices, running fuel based cars will remain competitive against EVs. Moreover, with rise in number of EVs, we will have a rise in electricity consumption and hence the price of electricity will also rise.

Also currently, we may not have any taxes on EVs but eventually the government will start charging taxes on EVs when the sales number will go up and hence their prices will continue to stay high.

Please share your thoughts on the same.
Old 7th February 2020, 10:37   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Posting the same query form another thread as folks watching this space may have something to share.

How do you see the impact of the current trend towards EVs on sales of fuels (Petrol/Diesel). I know EVs in India (or even globally) are in their infancy but this for sure has the potential to impact fuel sales.

Please share your thoughts on the same.
There will be actual drop in the sale of petrol and diesel as more and more commercial vehicles become electric. This year, there will affordable models suitable for taxis, we already have electric buses. All big cities will soon stop buying Diesel buses. Imagine the effect that is going to have on diesel sales. Autos and cabs and scooters will do their part as well. Private passenger vehicles aren't gonna be very impactful for couple of years.

Electric prices will stay the same or even drop because now the grid can be utilized during the night to a higher capacity factor which will help amortize the capex over higher number of kWh consumed making each kWh cheaper.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 02:28. Reason: long quoted post
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 10:05   #94
BHPian

Bill Gates on his new Electric Car Porsche Taycan and all other EV’s in general

Source
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 00:42   #95

Great article. #respectgto.
I've been a staunch believer in diesel cars and the low end torque. Though my inhibitions were against EV options in India, i must agree on all points mentioned by you. I have since then driven Tata Nexon EV and liked it so much that I have booked for it. Hopefully I will have the vehicle delivered this month end. I'm eager to see how things go.
ssmanipal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 03:22   #96
Senior - BHPian

I was riding to office today and had this thought suddenly strike my mind when I was stuck in KR Puram traffic for a little over 10-15 mins (Bangaloreans know what I’m talking about)

While I was occupied checking out vehicles around me during this time frame, I suddenly thought if an EV are filled on roads in the coming years, except for visual pleasure, I don’t think there will be anything different apart from features & power figures it would offer but would lack in terms of aural feel the vehicles would give unlike the ICE counterparts which used to distinguish themselves by setting its exhaust note apart isn’t it?

I mean, let’s assume there are cars like Nexon, XUV300, Venue & Brezza in ICE avatar. Apart from the power, features & looks, it’s their engines that connects the driver within you to them. Let’s assume these are now an EV’s, will you still feel connected to them? Atleast I wouldn’t because the engine doesn’t talk but it’s the electric that’s driving you from point A to point B in utter silence & good NVH. I don’t think it will excite me because I don’t like silence all the time as my mind tries to think unwanted things unlike ICE cars that make all the mechanic sounds that keep us latched onto it while driving, isn’t it

I could be wrong, but I don’t think I will update to an EV in 4 wheels atleast. I will stick to turbo petrol if diesels are a rare factor in the coming days.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 18:27   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmanipal View Post
Great article. #respectgto.
I've been a staunch believer in diesel cars and the low end torque. Though my inhibitions were against EV options in India, i must agree on all points mentioned by you. I have since then driven Tata Nexon EV and liked it so much that I have booked for it. Hopefully I will have the vehicle delivered this month end. I'm eager to see how things go.
Just to mention, I haven't let go off my zeal for the ICE vehicles. I happen to have 4 diesel vehicles in my garage. To start with my first love Tata Manza, then Tata Sumo Grande MkII, then Ford figo aspire, and lastly Isuxu Dmax Vcross. If i had to get go any of these cars, I'd pick the ford aspire. Its a ball of joy. Great air-conditioning, looks and the ride. Then reason for my choice is the car has clocked over 1,30,000kms in about 4 years.

To sum it up. Then is no alternative to ICE when it comes to long drives, off beat trails and breakdowns because the technology is saturated so chances you can find a mechanic and spares much easily than their EV counterpart. Plus mainly highways tend to give better mileage and there is abundant fuel stations to counter your range anxiety.
I believe the EVs are a city car. Due to the regen factor and better chance of finding the juice to charge your vehicle up. I hope the range of the EVs go to a minimum of 600kms at least on paper. And the cost factor reduces. The infrastructure increases and most of all the positive reinforcement from various stakeholders in a society.

Regards,
SS
Drive safe
ssmanipal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 21:45   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In fact, I'll go ahead and put it on record that my ideal garage will have 1 turbo-diesel, 1 petrol and 1 EV.
My garage (portico) will have 1 turbo-diesel for the long hurried drives, and one high-voltage EV (longish range) and one short range urban EV (E2O or Wagon-R kind).

I think I'll retire the Diesel vehicle in about 5yrs when I believe 500km range affordable EVs will be a reality.
Old 26th February 2020, 23:33   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmanipal View Post
I hope the range of the EVs go to a minimum of 600kms at least on paper.
Apparently Auto car team pushed ZS EV to 563km on single charge!!

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-charge-416297

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 02:27. Reason: excess spacing
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 10:48   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
Apparently Auto car team pushed ZS EV to 563km on single charge!!

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-charge-416297
That was a torture test. Might work for the certification only. Thanks for the heads up. That run was possible with all the parameters in place. Now i don't think a person spending so much close to 22 lakhs will want to run their car that way. Without ac, lights, and crawl the whole journey. instead i would choose to buy a hybrid with ICE.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 02:27. Reason: spacing
Old 6th March 2020, 00:59   #101
BHPian

Thanks GTO for such a lovely detailed read on the future of four(and also two) wheels ! The EV brigade is coming and all of us will have to embrace it at some point in time. But in India that time might suffer a 'turbo lag'.

The points that keep me away from an EV as my primary ride are :
  1. Lack of fast charging infrastructure in cities, highways and rural belts
  2. Lack of technical know-how among mechanics (If an EV goes bust somewhere along the highway, RSA will be our only friend, I guess).
  3. Too much software dependency might become over intrusive to the sheer driving pleasure
  4. The current gen EVs might be the poster boys of a clean and green Earth but they do have a dark & poisonous past (battery manufacturing techniques involve a lot of 'dirty' work) - but yes it should bring down the direct emission levels by a tremendous margin
  5. Range anxiety at least for the next five years ( until 1000 kms range and 5-6 hour charge become the norm in India).

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th March 2020 at 05:41. Reason: Formatting
Old 6th August 2020, 12:20   #102
BHPian

On a lighter note but not a bad idea . Can be used when travelling long distance on a EV.

sacrust is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 18:39   #103

given that the premium hatch segment doing well, 1)tata nexon ev to take a significant market share as we are now well into august 2020. a bargain buy looks like the 2) maruti cross hybrid at 2nd
asmkol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 18:45   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I tell you, EVs are really winning me over. Not a replacement for a high-revving petrol engine or a turbo-diesel yet, but would love to own one as the 2nd or 3rd car of the house. Also, I'll tell you that Tesla is way ahead of everyone else in the game. My experience with the Mercedes & Audi EVs has been good, but Tesla was next level!

Electric Cars...through the eyes of a diehard petrol-head-20200928-16.51.50.jpg

Electric Cars...through the eyes of a diehard petrol-head-20200928-16.22.44.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 18:55   #105
Senior - BHPian

Range anxiety and lack of basic infrastructure is still not there. As someone said on the Nexon EV ownership thread buying a electric car is like buying the first cell phone ever in the times of pagers and landlines. It is going to take a while for infrastructure to catch up. Most people may not drive more than 60 kms per day but much of that distance is spent idling in traffic.

There are areas in the country where electricity is a luxury. First we have to address all the paraphernalia for electric cars like charging points, sockets etc. Many people park on the road so where are they going to charge their cars overnight? All these have to be considered. We are still more than a decade for cars to be come mainstream electric ones. Hybrid for now is the way to go.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks