Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2023, 20:54   #181
BHPian

Re: Volvo XC40 Recharge Electric SUV, now launched at Rs. 55.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi7 View Post
Cancelled mine XC40. After a long 7 months wait and no confirmed delivery date being communicated, decided to cancel my booking. Earlier it was looking value but with BYD and Ionic coming at lower price the senario has changed.
So waiting for Ioniq test drive, which looks promising else will defer the electric plan for a year when more option are at bay.
Same here. Just cancelled my XC40 Recharge. After waiting for 7 months, and still no definite update from dealer, I guess it is pointless to be strung along.

To add to the woes, we will not be getting the spec bump version (with more power, range as announced in Jan23 by Volvo). Checked with the SA and he feigned ignorance for a few days, and when I initiated cancellation he called me to inform me that version could be coming from September onwards!!

Anyways, I’m going ahead and cancelling my booking. So there ends the Volvo EV story (for now).

On the other hand, in addition to the Volvo, I had booked the BYD Atto 3 (and took delivery 2 weeks ago, very good car) and the Tata Tiago EV (delivery due in 2 weeks). Way better communication, much lesser waiting times and definitely leagues more affordable!

—-
With so much intense competition, EV makers have their game cut out for them. Those on the lookout for an EV have so many options these days at various price points. Here’s a quick list:

Tata Tiago EV (~9L OTR)
Tata Nexon EV (~18L OTR)
MG ZS EV (~28L OTR)
BYD Atto 3 (~36L OTR)
Hyundai Ioniq 5 (~46L OTR)
Volvo XC40 Recharge (~58L OTR)
BMW i4/Kia EV6 (~70L OTR)

Exciting times indeed

Last edited by evolvo : 17th February 2023 at 21:00. Reason: minor edits
evolvo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 07:13   #182

Just heard from the Volvo dealer they might deliver our Recharge this week.

He says the car is here and waiting for some formalities. Booked in Sep/Oct .
Old 19th March 2023, 01:03   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
Same here. Just cancelled my XC40 Recharge. After waiting for 7 months, and still no definite update from dealer, I guess it is pointless to be strung along.

On the other hand, in addition to the Volvo, I had booked the BYD Atto 3 (and took delivery 2 weeks ago, very good car) and the Tata Tiago EV (delivery due in 2 weeks). Way better communication, much lesser waiting times and definitely leagues more affordable!
Congrats on the BYD! How has the BYD experience been? I believe people are very happy with it. Also which color did you get?

I had the XC40 on my radar but dropped it because of the lack of space. I drove my brother’s Polestar 2 for almost a 1000 miles over 2 months while I was in the US. It’s got the same motor and batteries and while I absolutely LOVE the performance on offer, the space restrictions played spoil sport.

Now I’m just waiting for the Ioniq 5 delivery to complete my EV garage Along with its stablemates the EV6 and our trusty e-Verito!

Last edited by Axe77 : 8th June 2023 at 15:52. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:34   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Congrats on the BYD! How has the BYD experience been? I believe people are very happy with it. Also which color did you get?
Yeah, the BYD Atto 3 experience (comfort, range, service) has been great so far.

Compared to my XC40 D4, the car brakes felt a bit mushy and does not induce a lot of confidence beyond 120. The XC40 has terrific braking in comparison.

We got the Red. Best color of the lot, but attracts a lot of unnecessary attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Now I’m just waiting for the Ioniq 5 delivery to complete my EV garage Along with its stablemates the EV6 and our trusty e-Verito!
Woah. The EV6 and the Ioniq5?

Just curious, if you have the amazing EV6 already, why get the Ioniq? You could instead get a crossover or a sedan (i4 is available, Atto 4 is 6 months away) to better complement the garage. Thoughts?
evolvo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:48   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, the BYD Atto 3 experience (comfort, range, service) has been great so far.

Compared to my XC40 D4, the car brakes felt a bit mushy and does not induce a lot of confidence beyond 120. The XC40 has terrific braking in comparison.

We got the Red. Best color of the lot, but attracts a lot of unnecessary attention

Woah. The EV6 and the Ioniq5?

Just curious, if you have the amazing EV6 already, why get the Ioniq? You could instead get a crossover or a sedan (i4 is available, Atto 4 is 6 months away) to better complement the garage. Thoughts?
That’s awesome! I hope you enjoy your EV experience as much as I have.

Well the purposes for both cars are different. I use the EV6 as my daily car with the sports car like performance and wow factor. The Ioniq is going to be mum’s daily with the bigger more spacious rear seat and lower power for the driver. And as with so many other mums, mine feels cold 90% of the year so those heated rear seats are a blessing along with the sunblinds. Plus the beauty of heated seats is that they kind of melt away the stress of a long day.

We weren’t even looking at the Ioniq. We actually booked the ZS EV back in Feb of last year. But they took 9 months and no delivery or updates just like you with the XC40. So we got frustrated and booked the BYD. While the BYD was allotted to us and we loved the exterior of the car, mum wasn’t particularly happy with the interior design. Wasn’t her cup of tea. And when the Ioniq launched, we just gave in. the minute we saw the car, she was convinced.

As for the sedans, they are too impractical for India. If we ever had a serious engineer look at our unscientific speed bumps and if we ever fixed them, I would consider it. But the i4 with its Less-Than-Huracan ground clearance isn’t going to cut it here.
venom_op is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 07:02   #186
BHPian

I’ve booked the car in sage green yesterday, though I’m not sure of completing the purchase. The Volvo website says delivery in 3-4 months, while the sales executive said around 6 months.

Is there any information on when the updated model launches in India?
It has motors with rear wheel bias, a bigger battery, claimed range more than 500 Km, etc. I’d surely like to wait for it, if it’s launching soon.
Old 28th March 2023, 16:50   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
I’ve booked the car in sage green yesterday, though I’m not sure of completing the purchase. The Volvo website says delivery in 3-4 months, while the sales executive said around 6 months.

Is there any information on when the updated model launches in India?
It has motors with rear wheel bias, a bigger battery, claimed range more than 500 Km, etc. I’d surely like to wait for it, if it’s launching soon.
Two points to consider:

Redundancy: While my SA had mentioned updated model could come by Sep’23, I very much doubt the timeline. If it comes out next year, the car is going be obsolete soon with the impending launch of EX40, which would have greatly improved range, space, dynamics, looks, features thanks to a skateboard platform

Cost Increases: I had waited for ~9 months before giving up and cancelling. In the meanwhile, the price of car has gone up by 1 lac, and now EVs in Telangana don’t get Road Tax waiver as 5000 vehicles quota is crossed. So the new OTR in Telangana is 69 Lacs (vs 57 earlier)

That’s a total increase of 13 Lacs, thanks to Volvo’s delays.

All in all, seems Volvo needs to really up its game and deliver on time, or it will lose its brand equity in India.

—-
Here’s a series of XC40 Recharge timeline goof ups:
- India Launch set for 2021, and cancelled.
- New launch date of late 2022, with booking starting in July 2022. Very few cars delivered in 2022, mostly to customers who ‘booked offline’ in 2021!! (I don’t understand why the fuss around mandating online bookings when online booking sequence is not followed).
- New model announced worldwide in Jan23, with an extra 60 kms of range(which is a terrific +16% from existing 360km real world range). However this model might only come to India next year, by when it is again late!!

Volvo needs to launch and deliver ‘updated model’ within 3-6 months. Else it is better to skip it and go direct to EX40 in 2024/25.

Last edited by evolvo : 28th March 2023 at 17:08. Reason: minor edits
evolvo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 20:54   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Two points to consider:
Thanks, I’ve considered these, especially the first point; that’s why I’m reluctant about completing the purchase. I’m awaiting a test drive of the Ioniq 5, which I saw at the showroom last week. It’s a really next-gen car, and the build quality is almost as nice as the Volvo. Of course, being a grounds up EV platform, it has a flat floor and a lot more space. And longer range. And it’s 14 lacs cheaper OTR in Kerala.

The kick down acceleration of the Recharge though has no match this side of 1 crore, and can sort make up for those 14 lacs.

I’m also finding it difficult to decide between fossil fuel and EV. I can live with range offered by these cars, but I can’t help wondering if the resale value might be peanuts, especially as the technology may evolve quickly in the next few years.

By the way, if anyone is interested, Volvo seems to be sitting on an inventory of white XC40 Recharge cars, and both the website and the dealer are hinting at quick delivery if I want a car in white.
one-77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 00:18   #189
BHPian

Quote:
The kick down acceleration of the Recharge though has no match this side of 1 crore, and can sort make up for those 14 lacs.
Oh yeah…the acceleration is insane, and very addictive. What’s even better is that it has excellent brakes to match this insane performance.

Quote:
I’m also finding it difficult to decide between fossil fuel and EV. I can live with range offered by these cars, but I can’t help wondering if the resale value might be peanuts, especially as the technology may evolve quickly in the next few years.
Resale/depreciation is surely a cause for concern, this being a luxury car. And also because the technology is evolving fast.

For longevity, I guess the minimum requirement of a good EV is skateboard platform, and ~500km range. This car falls short on both.

Side note: EVs will go mainstream by 2025/26, and most EVs will have a skateboard and 500km range, while having decent prices. The batteries in these cars will last for 5 lac kms (usually the life cycle of car) or more with minimum degradation. That would be the best time to buy an EV, I.e., if you can manage to hold on until then.

Quote:
By the way, if anyone is interested, Volvo seems to be sitting on an inventory of white XC40 Recharge cars, and both the website and the dealer are hinting at quick delivery if I want a car in white.
Oh. Interesting.

Last edited by evolvo : 29th March 2023 at 00:27. Reason: minor edits
Old 21st April 2023, 05:15   #190

Quote:
Resale/depreciation is surely a cause for concern, this being a luxury car. And also because the technology is evolving fast.
Given the accelerate depreciation available for EVs and the fact that I usually drive my cars for 7-9 years, personally this wasn't a big concern for me - being able to drive an EV SUV 2-3 years before they become mainstream.

Quote:
Side note: EVs will go mainstream by 2025/26, and most EVs will have a skateboard and 500km range, while having decent prices. The batteries in these cars will last for 5 lac kms (usually the life cycle of car) or more with minimum degradation. That would be the best time to buy an EV, I.e., if you can manage to hold on until then.
Agreed. Prices will go down and 500kms will become pretty standard by next year. The problem is buying an ICE car for those 2 years makes even less sense after experiencing how painless EV travel is. If budget is the main constraint, I'd advise folks to buy a used ICE for 2 years and then upgrade to an EV in 2025.
Old 21st April 2023, 12:03   #191
BHPian

Got a call on my XC40 Recharge allocation this month for a car booked in October last year. Would have picked it up if we had not booked the I4 already. The i4 being a CBU at 15 lakhs more, with a bigger back seat had a lot to do with deciding to opt out of getting the Volvo.

Sure, the engine power is lower, but the back seat does matter a bit in the Indian context when paying 60 odd lakh.

That said, saw a XC40 Recharge on the road in the Worli area day before yesterday while commuting to work. Was being driven super sedately (maybe because it's new). The conundrum was settled at that instant. The car is fantastic for the self driven, but for those in the back seat, spend 10 lakh less and get the Hyundai, or pay a bit more and pick up the KIA EV6 or the i4.

Delays can be attributed to CKD operations. Waiting times are lower due to the spate on cancellations as customers got more choice. When I booked, the Volvo website showed a year long waiting. I'd dare say that the waiting time will be 3 months or less now.
redeff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 18:32   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Same here. Just cancelled my XC40 Recharge.
How long does Volvo take to refund the booking amount after one cancels a booking?

I cancelled mine on 08 May as they said the updated version will not make it to India anytime soon, and there has been no word yet from Volvo on the refund, despite a reminder email. I had been told that the booking amount is fully refundable in case of a cancellation.
Old 8th June 2023, 13:37   #193
Senior - BHPian

I drove the C40 recently (Twin, Ultimate) and found that for an EV with 400+ HP and 600+ Nm of torque, the performance is dumbed down. There is no Eco/Normal/Sport mode. The car seems to be permanently in something like Eco mode, and I had to really mash the throttle to get that EV kick. It's almost like in an AT car, you push the A-pedal down, then it takes a second or two, shifts down and then you get going.

Is it so in the XC40 as well? I drove the new version with hardly 500km on the odo. I haven't driven the old version, so I don't know if the price to pay for the promised increased range of the new version is anemic performance.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 14:32   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Is it so in the XC40 as well?
No. The EV pull from XC40 is insane!
Very hard not to love this car once you take a drive.

Last edited by sarathlal : 8th June 2023 at 14:33.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 14:46   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
No. The EV pull from XC40 is insane!
Very hard not to love this car once you take a drive.
Interesting! I felt that the anemic performance extended to the AC as well. The car was parked in the sun for I don't know how long when I picked it up. It was only 21 degrees here (but still hot!!!), and I felt that it took some time to cool the cabin down. I was wondering how it would do in India.

In fact, a few minutes into the drive when I felt that the AC isn't cooling fast enough, I thought to myself that the car must be in Eco mode. That's when I started searching to change it to Comfort mode or the like, but found that other than Off-Road mode and One-pedal mode it does not have any other driving profiles.

I also felt that the steering is very light even at higher speeds. Thankfully, there is also a stiff steering feel option also, which improves the feeling a little bit.

Edit: Wanted to add that in terms of range, the car was plugged in and had 100% SOC when I started off and it was showing 360km range!! Perhaps it was driven harshly in the previous test drive. I did about 40km, mostly around town. Apart from the occasional short jab on the accelerator to check the performance, it was mostly at 50km/h or below, with a few km at 80km/h. I was not in one-pedal mode, but the car uses regen even when using the brakes. The consumption was around 19.2kWh/100km. That corresponds to just over 410km range. It started at around 24kWh/100km and was going down. So hopefully, it would have been better if I had driven a little while longer.

Last edited by StarrySky : 8th June 2023 at 15:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks