Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:01   #46
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

This is simply a great drive, test ride once and you will be smitten by the power and smoothness. Tata has nailed it and if you are looking for a mini SUV primarily for city and urban use, you couldn't be wrong with this selection. In this segment and price range this is the best EV at the moment
Chillout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 01:40   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The Nexon EV is purely an urban use car and is not expected to visit a service center in any town other than the one it is sold in and then used. It simply can’t go long distance.
There are guys who are trying to disprove Ather scooter is a urban scooter and have taken to other state let alone within state. There are few guys who have already driven the Nexon EV beyond 300km trips, all it needs a bit more planning and lack of fast charger means bit more patience. Fast chargers are coming up at tata dealers across the state and nation, it is only matter of time before the stop overs are in minutes rather than hours.

Quote:
Secondly, periodic service for an EV is nothing more than a general checkup and software update. Nothing else is required. Steering, suspensions and brakes will need replacement as and when they wear out, just like any petrol or diesel car. The gear oil will be changed every 40k km or so. The coolant will be changed every 60k km. That’s about it. EVs are basically shut it and forget it kind when it comes to maintenance.
True, the initial service on Kona had ZERO in the bill
DarthVeda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
That a concise and neat review of the Nexon EV.

I read that you need to depress the brakes before changing the driving modes. Can't you do it on the fly ? From D to S or converse.
You can change from D to S and S to D on the fly. However, you need to press the brakes when you need to shift to N/ R and also from N/R back to D. This helps avoid accidental shifts.
chandu1382 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 13:31   #49
BHPian

Thanks Samba, that was nice and crisp review. Seems like the EV version is around 5L more expensive than the petrol version.

Assuming 50km of drive every day ~ 1000 km every month -
The running cost comes to around 12K per year for an EV and 1L per year for the petrol version. Adding maintenance costs for petrol/diesel vehicles let's assume a savings of 90K per year in running an EV.

Even at that rate it should take at least 5 years to break even the extra cost. How many years is the battery expected to last and what is the replacement cost?

Last edited by Aditya : 5th July 2020 at 23:07. Reason: Typo
GhostRider28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 19:24   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_KL View Post
Thanks Samba! First time seeing an ownership review of the Nexon EV.
Just a small correction, I do not own one, this review is based on a 4 hours long test drive with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
How many years is the battery expected to last and what is the replacement cost?
The battery & motor comes with 8 years and 160,000 km warranty.

Here goes the price of the battery-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
The SA said current battery replacement cost is 4.5 Lac but will come down to 1.5 Lac in the future as more cars come on road. I am guessing the manufacturers will also provide a salvage value for the old battery.

Last edited by Samba : 4th July 2020 at 19:49.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 21:38   #51
BHPian

Thanks a lot Samba for this review. Another gold standard review that we are all use to. Nexon EV with approx 500 kms range will be a great daily vehicle for someone like me whose daily commute is approx 100 kms daily & takes no less than 3 hours during peak hours. Though kms are not much but from Anxiety prespective if i were to ever go for it, i would choose 500kms range only.
woodstock3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 23:13   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

First time I spotted a Nexon EV on road and that too with this rare color combination. Though the blue is the most liked shade for the Nexon EV, this combination was actually looking cool with the green registration plate complementing the rest of the car.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-d81a35ed053647a4912847a60b8c7be6.jpeg

Last edited by Samba : 11th July 2020 at 23:17.
Samba is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 23:38   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
First time I spotted a Nexon EV on road and that too with this rare color combination. Though the blue is the most liked shade for the Nexon EV, this combination was actually looking cool with the green registration plate complementing the rest of the car.
Nexon EV looks a stunner in these shades. I got a chance to see it in person at AutoExpo and it was just the perfect clothes this car could have adorned.
EVs are one segment where Tata has outdone themselves and the market in general. The speed at which they have got this car to consumers is just astonishing. On top of that, it seems to be a well rounded package looking at the initial reviews. If I was asked to choose COTY at this moment, my vote would go to Nexon EV.

Slightly off topic - In addition to this car, I see quiet a few Tigor EVs in Gurgaon which places Tata Motors at an enviable position in the electric segment. Tata has clearly won the first round in the EV battleground.

Last edited by warrioraks : 11th July 2020 at 23:50. Reason: Corrections
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 06:48   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post

Slightly off topic - In addition to this car, I see quite a few Tigor EVs in Gurgaon which places Tata Motors at an enviable position in the electric segment. Tata has clearly won the first round in the EV battleground.
This is an interesting observation and I also have the same opinion.
Background, there was a large tender of supplying 10000 EVs from EESL (Govt Organization) where majority of the numbers were won by Tata. They supplied Tigor EVs for the same. This is guess is the reason for so many sightings.
However what is more interesting is the following - Mahindra being a first mover in EV space had a lead. Think of The Revas, E2Os and then Verito EVs etc. However it was a great surprise when the majority of the order was went to Tata who at that time had just come out with Tigor EV. May be pricing was the key factor like in all Govt contracts.

You can see now Tata's aggressive push in EV space with the Nexon EV, Tigor Ev. Next up will be Altroz EV and HBX EV may be. The battle will only get interesting from here. The only winners will be the consumers.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 09:45   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
This is an interesting observation and I also have the same opinion.
Background, there was a large tender of supplying 10000 EVs from EESL (Govt Organization) where majority of the numbers were won by Tata. They supplied Tigor EVs for the same. This is guess is the reason for so many sightings.
Majority of Tigor EVs that I see in Gurgaon are cabs operated by BlueSmart.
On the tender, I remember reading somewhere that government departments weren't very happy with the car. But you are correct, winning this tender certainly gave Tata a leg-up in terms of sheer sales numbers.

Last edited by warrioraks : 12th July 2020 at 09:48.
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 12:06   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu1382 View Post
You can change from D to S and S to D on the fly. However, you need to press the brakes when you need to shift to N/ R and also from N/R back to D. This helps avoid accidental shifts.
You can even shift to N or go back to D from N while the car is on the move, I made the mistake twice and didn't have a problem or need to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
An EV is certainly the future, specially as a second car. Apart from cost the thing that prohibits me from buying one is that usually I change my residence every 3-4 years due to job transfers and that is sometimes in different cities. So every time ensuring dedicated parking space and laying out the charging point is a big headache for some one like me.
But with new guidelines issued by Govts for all residential group housing societies / apartment complexes for provision of EV charge ports. Power distribution companies pushing for EV charging points with lower costs like tata power delhi whole process is online to apply for EV meter. I am just filling it up and seems to be quite simple to setup. tata gets the survey done and installs for free as part of the cost of the car...so its not a huge expense. worst case build own extension for a few hundred rupees and use that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The Nexon EV is purely an urban use car and is not expected to visit a service center in any town other than the one it is sold in and then used. It simply can’t go long distance. Secondly, periodic service for an EV is nothing more than a general checkup and software update. Nothing else is required. Steering, suspensions and brakes will need replacement as and when they wear out, just like any petrol or diesel car. The gear oil will be changed every 40k km or so. The coolant will be changed every 60k km. That’s about it. EVs are basically shut it and forget it kind when it comes to maintenance.
There are EV cahrgers installed in highways! Haryana has setup in all their tourist rest spots, i know a lot of Mahindra E2O owners who have been using, 1 hour fast charge no problem at all! people even charge at EV car dealerships around the highway.

1 hour break for lunch after 250 kms is not a bad proposition, if you see TATA / MG and Hyundai have done some intercity highway drives and none of them have stalled on the road! A group of EV (mahindra e2O ) owners with cars range of 120 km only have done outside their city group rides of upto 10 cars and charged at the same site and come back to delhi and worked well! so EVs are not "NO NO for highway"

NOTE FROM SUPPORT -

Dear BHPian,

There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th July 2020 at 12:55.
Vivek Ahuja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 12:56   #57
BANNED

I got my nexon this Friday, after a prolonged period of waiting for the car lease company and dealer to finish their process. I will post a detailed review later once I get to drive the car for some time (Lockdown in Bengaluru for this week). However, while driving back from showroom to home, I had to go through residency road and there were 3 signals starting from Hometown till Brigade road intersection. I just switched to S mode and waited for the signal to turn green, I did not accelerate beyond 60, but that was enough for me to build a lead of over 5 seconds to the next signal. The acceleration reminded me of initial days in 390 Duke.

I was consuming 119wh/km with my short burst acceleration and long stretch slow driving (<50kph), which translates to 2km for every 1% or close to 200-220km for full charge.

Gave a sample of the acceleration to neighbours, and they were impressed by the build, comfort and lack of noise other than the obvious acceleration and the G force you feel, one person said it was like going in flight.
DarthVeda is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 16:48   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
Gave a sample of the acceleration to neighbours, and they were impressed by the build, comfort and lack of noise other than the obvious acceleration and the G force you feel, one person said it was like going in flight.
I am eagerly waiting for Tata to come out with Altroz EV due to the same reasons. I was amazed with the G forces while riding Delhi metro for the first time, and am waiting (im)patiently to feel the same while driving. My i10 leaves much to be desired

I hope there is a joint venture between Tata and Tesla and we can get the best of the EV world, made in India.
jasjotbains is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 23:52   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Ahuja View Post
You can even shift to N or go back to D from N while the car is on the move, I made the mistake twice and didn't have a problem or need to stop.
Wow! I double checked.. again. Not happening on mine. What VCU version is your car? I have the latest which is 2.06
(You will know when the service guy connects his laptop to your car)
chandu1382 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 11:37   #60
BHPian

Nexon EV advertised in today's 14/7/2020 Manorama Paper. Looks like dealer specific ads based on the Dealer name given in the print - HYSON MOTORS - Thrissur.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_20200714_112806.jpg  

Last edited by alexpaul : 14th July 2020 at 11:40. Reason: Updated the content
alexpaul is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks