Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 10:25   #181
BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

We test drove the 2022 MG ZS EV yesterday. There were a few points that we noticed that were a little different from the 2021 version.

The air conditioner was almost unusable in Chennai when the car was in eco mode. Normal mode makes the air conditioner so much better. This has been noted in the team-bhp review.

The car gives a continuous warning chime if the rear passengers don't wear their seat belts. I don't know if this can be turned off. Personally I like this feature but I can imagine having to reluctantly tell elderly passengers in the rear that they have to wear their seat belts even when the law doesn't make it mandatory.

The power delivery is now more linear. The 2021 version's sports mode was just mental, for the 2022 version sadly, there is a method to its madness.

I don't know if the boot size has changed because of the bigger battery, but from our memory it looks like the 2022 boot is a bit smaller.

The audio system in the 2021 seems to have sounded better compared to the 2022 version too. This could have also been the case because the air conditioner was working very hard in eco mode to cool the cabin.

None of the above are deal breakers for me though, and I am sticking to my booking.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 17:27   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
The car gives a continuous warning chime if the rear passengers don't wear their seat belts. I don't know if this can be turned off. Personally I like this feature but I can imagine having to reluctantly tell elderly passengers in the rear that they have to wear their seat belts even when the law doesn't make it mandatory.
Even I am looking for a way to turn it off. Not just elderly but any friends and relatives sitting in the car keep wondering what those chimes are about and I have to tell them to buckle up every time. People are just not used to such warning chimes for rear seats.
JitendraW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:39   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraW View Post
Even I am looking for a way to turn it off. Not just elderly but any friends and relatives sitting in the car keep wondering what those chimes are about and I have to tell them to buckle up every time. People are just not used to such warning chimes for rear seats.
I am quite happy that the car makes those chimes though. Otherwise, it usually is a tough ask to make rear passengers buckle up. At least this way they will get irritated into doing so.
shyampsunder is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:51   #184
BHPian

Totally agree with shyampsunder.
To me, safety is not a matter of convenience or choice. I love it that now I do not have to ask (rather beg) my friends, relatives, parents to put on the seat belt in front or back. They are themselves compelled to do us and U do not have to get stares as well!
I seriously don't understand the logic behind the law of not making seat belts compulsory in the back. The rear seat doesn't even have an air bag, which is all the more reason that seat belts are more necessary in the back seat. Moreover, god forbid, if the car topples in an accident that seat belt will most likely be the difference between life and death irrespective of where you are sitting.
And I often get a very absurd argument from people that the probability of the car toppling is very less. But that does not matter, even if that probability is 1 in a million, why do you want to keep the door open to dying 1 in a million times! I would definitely want to live million in a million times.

All in all, safety features should never be seen as a convenience or luxury. It is something that should be an inherent part of the vehicle. I would love to see the government make the rear seat belt sensors compulsory by law.
siddharthgarg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 15:22   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthgarg View Post
Totally agree with shyampsunder.
To me, safety is not a matter of convenience or choice. I love it that now I do not have to ask (rather beg) my friends, relatives, parents to put on the seat belt in front or back. They are themselves compelled to do us and U do not have to get stares as well!

Absolutely agree with you. And then there are some who refuse despite requesting them.
Old 31st July 2022, 13:14   #186
BHPian

For my MG ZS EV, I decided not to install the 7.4 kw ac fast charger that comes with the vehicle. The reason for this being the fact that I live in an apartment complex where the sanctioned load for each apartment is only 5 kw. So, I would have to approach the EB for additional load sanction if I were to install the fast charger. So, I decided against it.

The box you see in the photo is manufactured by Legrand India for Tata Nexon EV-s. It contains an MCB and a 16A plug socket nicely encased in a metal box with a lid which can be locked. You cannot see this item listed on the Legrand website because it is specifically put together for Tata Nexon. However, when I approached Legrand through their Twitter handle, they were happy to offer me a readymade unit.

This is what I have installed now to slow charge my vehicle. All I had to do was draw a 15A line from my home DB and connect it to the Legrand connection box. Since the box can be completely closed and locked (even while charging), it protects the connection from dust, rain etc and also from tampering and pilferage.

Hope prospective ZS EV owners find this information, useful.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img_1727.jpg  

Rada is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 17:08   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshrajan View Post
Absolutely agree with you. And then there are some who refuse despite requesting them.
Such people never travel in my car. My Vehicle doesn’t move unless all occupants are wearing seat belts regardless of the age, distance, circumstances or any other factor.
Lobogris is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 18:24   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post

Yep Totally. Thank you. How much did it cost you?
I am planning to do the same and not install the 7KW charger that will be supplied with the ZSEV.
But then i live just a block away from the BESCOM (EB) fast charger (25KW). So in case i need a quick top up i can do so there.
All this if and when the ZSEV is delivered

Yep. Thats the only way it works.

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st July 2022 at 19:38.
rajeshrajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 17:29   #189
Senior - BHPian

An issue I faced when my sister's 2020 ZS EV was given to the valet at a hotel.

The car was parked on an up ramp and the valet was asked to get the car. My car was parked next to it and when I went to take my car, I saw couple of guys trying to get the car to move. But every time they tried, the car was rolling back. Thankfully, there was no car parked behind. I realized they are going to screw up something and of course they will not take responsibility either if something does go wrong. I asked them to get out of the car and what I noticed was, the motor was not on and the orange battery symbol with a line across was lit on the dash. These guys were fiddling with the drive knob without the motor being on. At this point because of the constant braking without the motor running, the brake pedal had become hard, but worked and pressing the start button was not starting the motor but only going to accessory mode. The parking brake was not working either which was causing the car to roll back every time I let go of the brake.
It seemed like these guys were pressing the start button multiple times and not knowing the motor would have been turning on and off and at the same time pressing the brakes that the brake pedal became hard, that it stopped registering that it was pressed for the motor to power on.
This had happened before when the car was relatively new and I knew the brake pedal being pressed is not being sensed by the ECU. I applied more pressure on the brake and hit the start button and finally got the drive knob to work, but the motor was still not powering on. Hit the power button once more and finally it turned on.

In between this, the same error which came up the last time this happened saying HW Battery shut down came up which cleared once the motor powered on.

Lesson learnt, not to give the car to valet at random hotels.

Last edited by tharian : 1st August 2022 at 17:58.
tharian is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 18:10   #190
Senior - BHPian

We took delivery of our MG ZS EV on 29th July. Booking and delivery experience was smooth and no issues there.
Post-delivery, we did a 500Km+ drive over the weekend from Bangalore to MM Hills to Mysore and back to Bangalore.

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-20220730_080051.jpg

Quick summary of my likes and dislikes. A detailed ownership report will follow.

- Silent effortless drive which reduces fatigue in a big way.
- Excellent safety features including 3 point seat belts for all passengers
- Powerful motor offering quick overtakes on two lane roads
- Comprehensive list of features
- Space and comfort

Dislikes
- Headlamps, the LED projectors are just adequate.
- Missing features like Auto dimming IRVM, ventilated seats, steering adjustment doesn’t offer reach, no call cancellation button on the steering wheel.
- Few bits of the infotainment system which can be bothersome
- AC in Eco mode
- Softer suspension

The car behaved brilliantly. We were 5 adults and boot full of luggage. I drove just like my regular cars and at no point there was any anxiety on range or performance of the car. The car was always on normal mode with AC on.

Started off at 100% SOC from Bangalore, reached Malavalli Fast charger which is at 98KMs from my place at 76% SOC. This charger is conveniently located on the highway with a good restaurant. The car was fully charged even before we completed our lunch. We reached MM hills with 66% SOC and range of 285Kms. This is with an uphill climb.

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-20220730_131912.jpg

The SOC was down to 59% after all the local running about. Drove another 140Kms to Mysore to drop off my parents. SOC was at 18% with 52Kms range. Drove around Mysore a bit and the range was down to 11%. I used the Zeon fast charger to Mysore to top off the SOC to 80% from 11, this took about 44mins. Left for Bangalore at 9PM to reach home by 12Midnight with 40% SOC.

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-20220801_081945.jpg
speedmiester is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 17:37   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
We took delivery of our MG ZS EV on 29th July. Booking and delivery experience was smooth and no issues there.

Attachment 2340780

Hello!
Congratulations on your acquisition
Just wanted to know what the waiting period has been
MG took our booking in the second week of march saying 3months
Till now no sign of the car!
Thanks in advance
Old 6th August 2022, 09:53   #192
BHPian

Hi everyone!

Thought I'd share my thoughts having finally taken delivery of my MG ZS EV yesterday, booked on the day of launch itself March 7th 2022.

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img_6922.jpg

I am upgrading from the Nexon EV (purchased April 2021) on which I have completed 50k km. Due to my high daily running - an EV is a no brainer, however I always felt the interior and the general build quality of the Nexon was a bit of a compromise.

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img_6928.jpg

One of the first things I did to the vehicle was to remove those ugly giant ELECTRIC stickers on the side and the Internet Inside one on the rear - a hot gun and old Credit card and they were gone in less than 30 seconds.

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img_6906-2.jpg

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img_6918.jpg

So far I am very happy with the overall quality/drive/handling and interior of the MG - a bit bouncy at times as observed by others is a fair observation and yes ventilated seats would have made this vehicle near perfect, I can't believe I didn't upgrade sooner (well I suppose I tried, however the 5-6 month waiting was what delayed me and I am guessing a lot others too). I had also planned to put a black vinyl wrap on the front grill but to be honest the blanked out grill doesn't bother me in person as it did in online photos/videos.

I am just curious if anyone has any ideas to fix to this side mirror AC vent reflection on both sides - that no one seems to have mentioned but is v annoying when driving. I am guessing the only thing would be to make the matte chrome parts black?

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img_6929.jpg

Last edited by zandot : 6th August 2022 at 10:17.
zandot is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 14:20   #193
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car! Wishing you many happy and safe miles ahead.
Just asking since I saw the locations - how do you manage charging on Mumbai-Goa or other highway journeys?
Evyas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 01:29   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post

I am in a similar situation. How long does it take to charge? Facing any issues like charging stopping mid way or not reaching 100%?
Old 7th August 2022, 02:24   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandot View Post
Hi everyone!

One of the first things I did to the vehicle was to remove those ugly giant ELECTRIC stickers on the side and the Internet Inside one on the rear - a hot gun and old Credit card and they were gone in less than 30 seconds.

Congratulations on your new ride! That silver looks amazing and the debadging works wonders. Honestly, MG should provide a debadging option as a dealership option itself, they have such beautiful cars that are ruined with hideous stickers and people would probably pay to remove them.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks