Team-BHP - The Official Joke thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Et Cetera (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/et-cetera/)
-   -   The Official Joke thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/et-cetera/2439-official-joke-thread-600.html)

Got as an whatsapp forward

The REAL meaning of car warning lights: :D

lol:

Thank you! That is one of the funniest motoring jokes I have ever seen!

You can't see the dosa, because stone cold said so!!
:D

Why do people spell dosa as dosha? Even while talking they say dosha although dosha is commonly used for problems (like rashi dosha etc)

Don't know if this is real or fake -- but it sure is hilarious! :D

The Official Joke thread-img20150630wa0000.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by srishiva (Post 3742560)
Why do people spell dosa as dosha? Even while talking they say dosha although dosha is commonly used for problems (like rashi dosha etc)

This poster looks like it was either made by a Mallu or must be taken somewhere in Kerala. While the rest of India calls a Dosa as a Dosa, in Kerala a Dosa is pronounced Dosha. And what you call problems (dosha) we call it as dosham.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar (Post 3742981)
While the rest of India calls a Dosa as a Dosa, in Kerala a Dosa is pronounced Dosha. And what you call problems (dosha) we call it as dosham.

In Kerala Dosa is not pronounced Dosha (as in dosha (problems)).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 3742998)

Absolutely Latheesh! In Kerala we don't pronounce it the way Dosha (problems) is pronounced in Karnataka, but it's still got the 'Sh' sound between the "Do" and the "A". :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 3742998)

Here in Bangalore they say Plain Dosa, Masala Dosa, Butter Masala Dosa etc. However, in Thrissur they say Dosha. IIRC, when I had been to Trivandrum and was having breakfast at Indian Coffee House, they referred to it as Dosha too. Not sure about rest of Kerala though :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronH4WK (Post 3743025)

they referred to it as Dosha too. Not sure about rest of Kerala though :D

In Kerala it is referred to as Dosha everywhere. And "problems" (dosha) is called Dosham.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronH4WK (Post 3743025)
Here in Bangalore they say Plain Dosa, Masala Dosa, Butter Masala Dosa etc.

Its actually Plain Dose, Masala Dose, Butter Masala Dose etc. :) (pronounced dho-sei).

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajivr1612 (Post 3743027)
In Kerala it is referred to as Dosha everywhere. And "problems" (dosha) is called Dosham.

There is a difference between the "sha" of dosh(a)(m) (problem) and the sha of dosha (the one we eat). The sound of "sha" in the one we eat is similar to the sound that comes from the pan when the batter is poured. :)

On another note, even "Altaf" the joint's owner wouldn't have imagined that his writing 'dosa' as 'dosha' would generate such serious discussions about the pronunciation. :D

From what I have gathered from my trips in south, I have seen this habit of adding 'h' after 't' and making the pronunciations somewhat weird (atleast for non south Indians). Eg. Chapati becomes 'Chapathi', Deepti becomes 'Deepthi'. Is this 'dosha' born from the same habit of adding 'h'? Just a wild guess.

P.S. The 'h' part is not meant to hurt anyone, its just my observation.

-Bhargav

dang! we all could have contributed and written a whitepaper on Dos(h)a in Kerala! :D

:uncontrol