Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 11:23   #2431
BHPian

Dear IT_Inspector,

Thanks, any idea on prices. I see them priced very steep on Amazon. Is that what should i expect??? :O
Old 4th December 2009, 12:42   #2432
BHPian

I have not used either of Tamron 17-50 and 11-18mm. So would refrain from personal comments and price details.

Here a review by Thom Hogan on 17-50mm
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Review by Thom Hogan

And here`s a review on 11-18mm
Tamron SP AF11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Review

They both seem decent lenses so there shouldn't be any issues.

Cheers
Old 5th December 2009, 17:49   #2433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Gurus, how is this lens:
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens with Built In Motor for Nikon Digital SLR

It does not have have VC, is it a big concern ? Its very much in my pocket, and gives me some zoom I am missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
As a starter IS will benefit you specially above 100mm.

Cheers
Tested this lens today, how are these, for 7200 Rs, is.nt it worth? It might suffer at low light, but I am liking it for price, all hand held

The DSLR Thread-test.jpg

The DSLR Thread-life1.jpg

The DSLR Thread-life2.jpg

The DSLR Thread-life3.jpg

The DSLR Thread-life4.jpg

Name:  Life5.JPG
Views: 526
Size:  325.8 KB

The DSLR Thread-life6.jpg

The DSLR Thread-life7.jpg

The DSLR Thread-life8.jpg

The DSLR Thread-life9.jpg

The DSLR Thread-life10.jpg

The DSLR Thread-life11.jpg

The DSLR Thread-life12.jpg

The DSLR Thread-life13.jpg
Old 5th December 2009, 19:51   #2434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Great shots!

What kit do you have?
Thannks Proxima. I have a Nikon D40 with the kit 18-55mm, 50mm f/1.8 and Tamron 90mm f/2.8 lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Dear BHPians,

Need help. Experts please suggest

I have a Nikon D 60 with 18 - 55 AF VR & 55 -200 AF VR

Need to buy a wide angle lens as i have a passion for landscape photogrphy. Please suggest :

1. Which lens to buy (needs to be AF)
2. What would be the expected price (India INR & US $)

Would be excellent if I can get US$ as some body is coming from US , can get it for me )
SamtheLeo before u go out for shopping I have a small questionnaire for you-
1. Did you purchase your D60, 18-55 and 55-200 all at the same time?
2. How many shots have you taken using your 18-55mm at 18mm FL?

If you have not taken more than 10k shots with your kit lens I would suggest you better do that before you do any purchase.

If you get a super wide like 10-20mm sigma, you may end up taking shots within 15-20mm FL in a long run. Initially it may be fun to shoot at 10mm but later u may just want to get rid of the skewness, or even worse u may end up cropping all the shots.

And last but not the least, 18-55mm lens though tagged as 'kit' is no under-performing lens. Trick is how to use it the right way!.
Old 5th December 2009, 23:37   #2435
Senior - BHPian

Is Japan a good place to buy DSLRs?

Hey Guys,

Would it work out cheaper to get a (Canon or Nikon) DSLR from Japan? My cousin is coming from Tokyo next month and she doesn't have much knowledge about cameras. So she would just be buying exactly what I say. That means looking for alternative bargains and grey market stuff is highly unlikely. Wanted to know what are the regular prices of cameras in Japan compared to India and will there be any discounts during christmas/ new year?

Thanks,
Jag

PS: I am looking at something < Rs. 50k including the body and kit-lens
Old 6th December 2009, 03:22   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Yes,

You often get lovely deals. I got my canon 500d+twin lens kit in 42k incl 3.5% exchange rate hit (there was some ridiculous 20% cashback offer) three months back when the same in India was 62k
Old 6th December 2009, 08:03   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Would it work out cheaper to get a (Canon or Nikon) DSLR from Japan? My cousin is coming from Tokyo next month and she doesn't have much knowledge about cameras. So she would just be buying exactly what I say. That means looking for alternative bargains and grey market stuff is highly unlikely. Wanted to know what are the regular prices of cameras in Japan compared to India and will there be any discounts during christmas/ new year?
On the first note electronics are around 15-20% more expensive in Japan than rest of the world.

That being said if your cousin can goto the right stores, he should be able to get a good discount and by good i mean 30-40% off market price.

But that means your cousin will need to travel a fair bit and goto few stores and spend some time researching. Even just checking out few BIC and Yodobashi stores could be very well worth it.

Cheers
Old 6th December 2009, 08:17   #2438
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to buy either a Nikon D5000 or a Canon Rebel T1i. Which one should I go for?
Old 6th December 2009, 09:32   #2439
BHPian

Jacksparrow, If you like the swivel screen, good grip and dont mind the restricition of AF to a few lenses then you can opt for the D5000. It has good optics.
The T1i is an excellent cam, its got better HD video rec(if thats important for you) but lacks the chunky grip of the Nikon.

Phamilyman, I was going to ask Jaguar to PM you about buying from Japan.
Old 6th December 2009, 10:25   #2440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Jag

this is the best deal in Japan, very reliable site, I myself bought stuff from this site. Though you will need a little Japanese language help,

価格.com - CANON EOS Kiss X3 ダブルズームキット 価格比較
Old 6th December 2009, 11:47   #2441
BHPian

Entry Level DSLR

I am soon going to upgrade from my 6MP Canon Powershot A540 to a DSLR within Rs. 25000-30000 .
Please help me decide the best camera in this price range,
I have seen the Canon EOS 1000D ,Nikon D3000 and Olympus E-520 all look pretty good .

and where I will be able to buy them from on EMI online ?

Thanks !

Last edited by rahulsingh007 : 6th December 2009 at 11:53.
Old 6th December 2009, 11:58   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by Jaguar
Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Jag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
this is the best deal in Japan, very reliable site, I myself bought stuff from this site. Though you will need a little Japanese language help,

価格.com - CANON EOS Kiss X3 ダブルズームキット 価格比較

For under 50K you can pick up a 40D with 17-85 IS lens. Do consider this if you're happy with 10P and doesn't need video recording. Feels a lot better to hold compared to xxxD.
価格.com - CANON EOS 40D EF-S17-85 IS U レンズキット 価格比較

or a 50D without lens
価格.com - CANON EOS 50D ボディ 価格比較
and you can buy a 50mm 1.8 prime fro 5k locally to get started.

Or you can go with xxxD and go with twin lens kits.
Old 6th December 2009, 16:44   #2443
Distinguished - BHPian

@RKBharat, welcome to the confused world of DSLR lens. I am in the market for exactly same focal length with similar budget.

I liked the snaps you posted of Tamaron 70mm-300mm . However, since last week been reading extensively comparison reports between Tamaron 70-300mm and Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro.

Almost every review site recommends Sigma over the Tamaron. It seems the Tamaron lens are equivalent to Non-APO version of Sigma which is priced at Rs.7600. Whereas in Hyderabad, I got a best quote for APO version of Sigma 70-300mm for Rs.9800.

I have seen sample pictures of both Tamaron and Sigma and i like Sigma better for a couple of grand more. Check Sigma out
Old 6th December 2009, 16:50   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys.
The 500D + twin lens kit offer seems too tempting. Can someone please translate what 2 lenses are included?

@RK, did you buy the same combo?

Last edited by Jaguar : 6th December 2009 at 16:52.
Old 6th December 2009, 19:25   #2445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@RKBharat, welcome to the confused world of DSLR lens. I am in the market for exactly same focal length with similar budget.
I kind of liked it and bought it. Honestly both Sigma and Tamaron are not near Nikkor, so I will keep it for some time, till I have some money to go for Nikkor, as that what I want at the end. Atleast I have something to get little zoom . And also without IS/VR/VC/OS there will be very marginal difference and on the contarary I heard better reviews for Tamaron. Yup a confusing world

And as I understand, when I sell it, I might only loose 1.5 K or Max 2 K. So will use it for some time.

Quote:
@RK, did you buy the same combo?
No dear, I bought Nikon D5000, from Grey in India. A friend in another forum bought this deal, same source. I think its very worth. for 36K, you can use it for six months and still sell it for same price

Here is the english translation of text on the site:
"EOS kiss X3" and a standard zoom lens "EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS" and telephoto zoom lens "EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsingh007 View Post
I am soon going to upgrade from my 6MP Canon Powershot A540 to a DSLR within Rs. 25000-30000 .
Please help me decide the best camera in this price range,
I have seen the Canon EOS 1000D ,Nikon D3000 and Olympus E-520 all look pretty good .
Retail price for Nikon D3000 has been reduced to 32K, with bill and warranty, saw it on TOI yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Guys, I am planning to buy either a Nikon D5000 or a Canon Rebel T1i. Which one should I go for?
I might not be the person to compare these two, but in case you swing towards Nikon D5000, I can help to understand it

Last edited by rkbharat : 6th December 2009 at 19:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ゥ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks