Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2016, 19:41   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Try removing all the DIMMs and just try with 1 or a spare which you know is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
More often than not, its bad ram.
Replaced the DIMM with a new dual channel memory kit. The problem did not go away. 4 BSOD's in less than an hour. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL was reported. I have now updated the motherboard Bios as the firmware was far out of date. Several newer Bios releases indicated improved compatibility with DIMM and M2 ssd's, which is what I use. I hope that this solves my problem. Beyond this, the only thing I can do is reinstall windows.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 16th March 2016 at 19:42.
Old 16th March 2016, 19:51   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Replaced the DIMM with a new dual channel memory kit. The problem did not go away. 4 BSOD's in less than an hour. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL was reported. I have now updated the motherboard Bios as the firmware was far out of date. Several newer Bios releases indicated improved compatibility with DIMM and M2 ssd's, which is what I use. I hope that this solves my problem. Beyond this, the only thing I can do is reinstall windows.
Thats bad. That looks like a driver problem, if nothing has changed on the h/w. Probably you could try reverting to the "Last Known Good Configuration". Does the M2 SSDs or other H/W have any firmware/drivers that need to be upgraded ?
Old 18th March 2016, 08:06   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the M2 SSDs or other H/W have any firmware/drivers that need to be upgraded ?
I can't seem to find anything on the Transcend website other than a ssd maintenance tool called the SSD Scope. I don't think it has anything to do with drivers.

There is little else on my new desktop in terms of plugged in hardware. I've got a couple of regular WD hard drives. I am not doing any gaming at the moment to plug back the old AMD R7770 card.

What does concern me though is the Storage Controllers section under Device Manager. It says Microsoft Storage Spaces Controllers. Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, its Intel. Not sure if this is how it should look. I've got Intel's Rapid Storage Technology drivers installed so that takes care of the AHCI bit, critical for the M2.

The good news is, its been two days with the new Bios firmware and not a single crash. I did not update to the latest, just one firmware version behind, to be safe. Comments on several previous firmware releases indicate better compatibility for DIMM modules and general stability improvements so I am guessing there was an issue. What is still confusing is how did the computer run stable for over a months on a really old Bios firmware and then one day, decided to act up.

I lost a little dough replacing the presumed faulty DIMM kit with a dual channel DIMM kit. Not a complete loss as Skylake performs a little better with a dual channel kit in place.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 18th March 2016 at 08:09.
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:03   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I can't seem to find anything on the Transcend website other than a ssd maintenance tool called the SSD Scope. I don't think it has anything to do with drivers.

There is little else on my new desktop in terms of plugged in hardware. I've got a couple of regular WD hard drives. I am not doing any gaming at the moment to plug back the old AMD R7770 card.

The good news is, its been two days with the new Bios firmware and not a single crash. I did not update to the latest, just one firmware version behind, to be safe. Comments on several previous firmware releases indicate better compatibility for DIMM modules and general stability improvements so I am guessing there was an issue. What is still confusing is how did the computer run stable for over a months on a really old Bios firmware and then one day, decided to act up.

I lost a little dough replacing the presumed faulty DIMM kit with a dual channel DIMM kit. Not a complete loss as Skylake performs a little better with a dual channel kit in place.
Is it now stable ? Let me check my laptop on the M2 setting. It is configured as a raid, and could be slightly different.

Also any chances it could be the graphics card problem ? The drivers on my nvidia card crashes frequently on my msi laptop, and have now switched to the internal card, which is much more stable.
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:11   #575
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What I don't understand is why all the blame goes to Microsoft when Windows fails to run on the custom rig you have put together. Or why it's stability gets compared to a MacOS running on factory built Apple computer.

If you want to compare stability, compare factory built PCs to factory built apple computers. Please don't compare the stability of DIY PC to factory built apple computers.

MacOS has higher record for stability because they only run on Apple made hardware. But Windows tries to run on any contraption people put together by mixing and matching parts from various manufacturers.

Windows is more complicated than ever, so it has lesser tolerance than earlier versions towards DIY PCs.
I will add the compare the Mac with a premium brand PC! Not any PC.

Apple has a simpler job one OS, one tightly controlled family of systems. While in the case of Microsoft they are having to cater to a myriad of diverse systems, a very tough job!

One other thing, the underpinnings of Apple OS are in Unix while Windows does not have such and elite parentage. True, that why should I bother, but then I for one will be loathe to pay 50% more for comparable performance.
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:35   #576
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One other thing, the underpinnings of Apple OS are in Unix while Windows does not have such and elite parentage.
Well... not exactly.

The Apple OS didn't have Unix parentage until OS-X, which happened in 2001 when it switched to NeXT platform. That was the same year Windows desktop switched over to WinNT platform, calling itself XP.
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:06   #577
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well... not exactly.

The Apple OS didn't have Unix parentage until OS-X, which happened in 2001 when it switched to NeXT platform. That was the same year Windows desktop switched over to WinNT platform, calling itself XP.
So for the past decade and half Apple OS has had Unix underpinnings. As for Windoze they tend to come out whit bad OSes like Vista. A resource hog if ever there was one. It was stable alright I had one Vista desktop).
Old 23rd March 2016, 19:35   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it now stable ?
Close to a week now and things are looking good.
Old 12th April 2016, 17:44   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kaspersky warning!

Quote:
By the looks of it Kaspersky is still incompatible with Win10.

So a warning about Kaspersky, and what anti-Virus do I use?
Upgraded to Win-10 (the Dell Latitude had OE Win-7). Kaspersky was already installed, and have not had any problems till date.

But since last 3-4 days, am getting a Critical Error message, and not able to use the Start button. Not sure what could be the cause ..
Chrome also seems to be giving a problem.

The laptop has generally slowed down. Tried to revert to Win-7, but looks like I have crossed the 1 month deadline. I dont think the OE CD is traceable anymore .. :(

Problem is that I am not able to find a decently priced 4GB DDR2 to upgrade either.
Old 12th April 2016, 22:54   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The laptop has generally slowed down. Tried to revert to Win-7, but looks like I have crossed the 1 month deadline. I dont think the OE CD is traceable anymore .. :(
If you have the installation software for all the applications installed in the system, you can try doing a clean installation of Windows 10 using the DVD and re-install the applications. Clean installation can sometimes help to speed up the system if upgrade had some problems.
Old 12th April 2016, 23:01   #581
Senior - BHPian

I bought a new HP Laptop from the US that has Windows 10 in Oct 2015. I keep getting regular reminders for system backup. I was told that i need a 32 GB USB drive for that. Is it correct?
Old 13th April 2016, 04:53   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True, that why should I bother, but then I for one will be loathe to pay 50% more for comparable performance.
This isnt true at all. Compare the prices of any high end Dell or HP with the MacBook Pro and the difference isnt much.
Old 30th May 2016, 07:29   #583
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I bought a new HP Laptop from the US that has Windows 10 in Oct 2015. I keep getting regular reminders for system backup. I was told that i need a 32 GB USB drive for that. Is it correct?
I will suggest you install AOMEI One Key recovery. Then you have far more flexibility in the backup - pen drive, system, external hard disk, and it is fr more flexible.

My Lenovo came with their One Key Recovery. After I upgraded to Win 10 the recovery did not work. Then I found this freebie. Excellent.

Setting up a VM

I have started getting memory Full errors in Tally 9 all of a sudden. Searching on the web I found one of the causes could be printers. Now I have installed two printers using Wireless. Earlier I had them without the Wireless support. My data is not corrupted since i moved the Directory to my wife's laptop and it works fine.

I am on Win 10 Home (single language) to the Hyper route of MS is not available to me.

Two points:

1. How do I fix the problem in Tally.

2. Will a Virtual machine solve it. Then how do I set one up? Detailed guidance please.
Old 30th May 2016, 08:24   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Upgraded to Win-10 (the Dell Latitude had OE Win-7). Kaspersky was already installed, and have not had any problems till date.....

Same case with me, after struggling with windows 10 for over 2 months (Too slow, even for a click it will take 15-30 seconds and non responsive most of the times ), reinstalled windows 7 on my Dell Inspiron N5110 yesterday. My laptop also has got 4 GB RAM.

Windows 7 or Windows 8 DELL OEM would be available through torrents, You can download that and provide the serial number that is available on the back of the laptop. This will not be illegal as you have a genuine key from Microsoft and should be able to receive all the updates.

I have my dell windows 7 OEM CD with me, if you want i can either try uploading it or make a copy and courier it to you over the weekend.

Let me know.

Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 23:41   #585
BHPian

Quote:
1. How do I fix the problem in Tally.
Did you try to increase your virtual memory or page file size? I have seen out of memory errors when I had removed the virtual memory to try and speed up my previous aging laptop, though not on Tally, but with everything else I generally use like outlook, office etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks