Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 23:56   #436
BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Do you know any email client like Outlook which can be configured for 4-5 email accounts at the same time?
Why don't you use the inbuilt Thunderbird? Apart from it, there is another good one called Evolution, this is similar to old outlook. Geary, KMail etc are few more good clients.

Now coming back onto original thread topic, does anyone know how to convert the $Windows.~BT folder into bootable setup DVD? The folder which I have is for OEM Home version, can it be used for upgrading a Pro version Windows 7 or 8 also?

Last edited by tbppjpr : 20th August 2015 at 00:00.
Old 20th August 2015, 01:34   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Why don't you use the inbuilt Thunderbird? Apart from it, there is another good one called Evolution, this is similar to old outlook. Geary, KMail etc are few more good clients.

Now coming back onto original thread topic, does anyone know how to convert the $Windows.~BT folder into bootable setup DVD? The folder which I have is for OEM Home version, can it be used for upgrading a Pro version Windows 7 or 8 also?
To create a bootable setup DVD from the downloaded update, you can try this tutorial:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-...e-into-an-iso/
Old 20th August 2015, 02:08   #438
Senior - BHPian

After XPS Desktop, upgraded Lenovo G50 to Windows 10 Home 64. The upgrade was smooth and fast.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 20th August 2015, 07:39   #439
BANNED

Quote:
I have been a Thunderbird user for over a decade and a half. Multiple accounts - no issues, I am running gmail and the iitk mail server. Using the profile manager you can store the profile at another place (different partition) so that in the event of a disaster if you have a copy/backup then you go back to the last backup. You have to run thunderbird(.exe) - p(rofilemanager) for this. The exact command changes from version to version. Only issue, the mail is stored in a slightly different format so you need a utility of convert to the standard Microsoft format. A personal license is about $20 for a month.

I had posted the way of converting the download into an ISO, both the link and the pdf file on this thread . At the moment with my laptop gone I cannot find it again.
Old 20th August 2015, 10:37   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
To create a bootable setup DVD from the downloaded update, you can try this tutorial:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-...e-into-an-iso/
Thank you for the link, looks kind of a task but atleast there is some way to get away.

Now one confusion still remains. The folder which I got is on a laptop came with OEM Windows 8.1. When I upgraded that laptop to Win 10, it got converted into Windows 10 Home edition.

Confusing part is what will happen when I upgrade stand alone Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro using the same setup material? Will those editions also get converted into the Home or will become Pro/Enterprise?
Old 20th August 2015, 10:53   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About not having issues with Mac like what we have in Windows, how many models are there for Mac to handle? 4? 5 or 6 at max? Windows has to handle thousands of different hardware combinations so its obvious to have issues like drivers compatibility in few of the devices.
Do you really think as an end consumer, I should be concerned about how Microsoft does it? Driver issues aside, there are blunders like if you reset Windows 10 you PC is doomed. The only way then is to install Windows 8 and then upgrade to Windows 10 again!

Quote:
About price difference vs specs, you don't get top end hardware in Apple. They always run one or two generation behind.
First high resolution display on a laptop, PCIE SSD drives when everyone else was using mSata, thunderbolt, a trackpad that actually works? I can give more but I hope you get the idea.

Quote:
Thats one major limitation which keeps many professionals away from them. Then their closed kind of OS environment is another big let down that many of the Mac users are forced to side load something like Windows to keep the Apple computers running.
This is true to an extent. You would not get all the development tools available for Windows on a Mac. They also have nil presence in the server segment but I want to understand what is a closed OS environment? Isn't this the reason why they are Apple? Isnt this the reason why the hardware simply works and so does the software without sacrificing battery life?

Quote:
And please don't name brands like Dell, Lenovo or HP as benchmarks.
If Dell's latest XPS isn't a benchmark for a PC today, which other one's do you have in mind?
Old 20th August 2015, 10:57   #442
BHPian

Windows 10 updates till date!
Attached Thumbnails
The Windows 10 Thread!-capture.png  

Old 20th August 2015, 16:03   #443
BANNED

Got my Laptop back. Down to Win 8. So first Win 8.1 and then Win 10. Any quickfixes. I am looking at well in excess of 8GB!
Old 20th August 2015, 16:49   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Got my Laptop back. Down to Win 8. So first Win 8.1 and then Win 10. Any quickfixes. I am looking at well in excess of 8GB!
Sadly no but you can download Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 ISO's for future.

Windows 8.1
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/w...-refresh-media

Windows 10
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

Or if anyone you know has Windows 8.1 DVD or ISO just install that. Download Windows 10 ISO, boot from that and select upgrade keeping all files and settings.
Old 20th August 2015, 21:59   #445
Senior - BHPian

To all the users here, how touch centric is W10? On matters of touch, is it more like W or W8?

Sutripta
Old 21st August 2015, 10:50   #446
BANNED

My laptop is back on Win 8. It downloaded 1.1GB of updates, and then now needs another 3.90GB for Win8.1! Given my connection it may take a few days, if at all. So have deferred even that till October. Also the folder structure for Firefox is messed up. At least Thunderbird is back up. Now I have to try and export the stuff from Chrome to Firefox!
Old 21st August 2015, 13:09   #447
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Sadly no but you can download Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 ISO's for future.

Windows 8.1
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/w...-refresh-media

Windows 10
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

Or if anyone you know has Windows 8.1 DVD or ISO just install that. Download Windows 10 ISO, boot from that and select upgrade keeping all files and settings.
I have the ISOs for Win10, but the unit has Single language and not Home or Pro. I tried to download 8.1 dreation tool. It is shouting that I am on 8 and not 8.1! So should upgrade! Getting the mediacreationtool.exe file in any case.

Last edited by sgiitk : 21st August 2015 at 13:29.
Old 21st August 2015, 19:38   #448
BHPian

Quote:
I have the ISOs for Win10, but the unit has Single language and not Home or Pro. I tried to download 8.1 dreation tool. It is shouting that I am on 8 and not 8.1! So should upgrade! Getting the mediacreationtool.exe file in any case.
You can download single language OS directly and then upgrade or fresh format which I personally prefer to avoid bugs cropping in from old OS. I can get you a direct link for single language. Unfortunately I can't Pm you.
Old 21st August 2015, 21:10   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You must update W8 to W8.1. This is a prerequisite. Use Windows Update and once done you can upgrade to W10.
Old 21st August 2015, 22:23   #450
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You must update W8 to W8.1. This is a prerequisite. Use Windows Update and once done you can upgrade to W10.
Yes, I know that. I have asked a friend to get me the 8.1 ISO, and also the cumulative updates to 5/5/15. The latter are about 450MB. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=42327

I can go to IIT but the upgrade to 8.1 may take in excess of three or even nearer to four hours. We may have a 1Gbps pipe but the system is obviously throttled somewhere along the way. It took over three hours when I first upgraded to Win 8.1 and I think it was 3GB.

Incidentally, found my WiFi very odd - Download 200kbps, Upload 7Mbps. Have informed the franchisee.

Last edited by sgiitk : 21st August 2015 at 22:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks