Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2015, 11:30   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

My friend got his 2 laptops running Windows 8.1 to my home last Sunday. He has no intention of upgrading to Windows 10, say even for next 5 years. Though the upgrade icon was visible in tray area, he had not reserved Windows 10. Unfortunately, when those laptops were plugged into my home wifi, each of them downloaded 5GB of Windows 10 upgrade data. I can see those files in C:\$windows.~BT folder.

My Internet was used up to download 10GB of worthless bits, even though no permission was given to any software. My internet quota is less by 10GB now. Who is to blame?
Old 18th August 2015, 11:37   #422
BANNED

@msdivy; MS thinks they own the world, or at least systems running any version of Windows. Typical arrogance.

My system is going back to the vendor for Win 8.1 and I am not upgrading for at least three months.
Old 18th August 2015, 11:38   #423
BHPian

Hello All, I am using a May-14 model Dell Inspiron 14" Laptop (Model-3437), that came preloaded with Win-8 and auto upgraded to Win-8.1. After reserving my copy of Win-10 Home (Single Language), I downloaded and tried upgrading via Windows Update. The upgrade would start normally, but about 10 mins later would terminate with a simple message "Windows encountered an Error".
This happened 3 times
Next I downloaded an ISO copy from Microsoft website, burned a DVD and reattempted an upgrade. This also failed due to some partition error (forgot the exact technical term). After some research on the web, I pressed shift+F10 to bring up the console and performed a hard disk clean up. This also did not help matters. Tried performing a clean install. Still the same error message.
As a last resort, I reformatted the hard disk, blew up all partitions and then did a clean install, skipping the product key step. This went off smoothly.
Now starts the real trouble. My Win-10 wont activate - says, current product key is invalid (the one hard coded on the motherboard). Dell is asking me to contact Microsoft and Microsoft wont respond (very high call volumes).

Has someone else faced the same problem. Pls help.
Old 18th August 2015, 11:38   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I would recommend returning to your previous version of Windows (7/8.1) and waiting for stabilization of Windows 10.
Currently, Windows 10 does not recognize certain hardware (Wi-Fi cards) and does not allow certain software (Kaspersky Anti Virus) to run!
Except for the iPhone issue, Am loving every bit of Windows 10 eversince the upgrade. I'll see if I can find some tweaks online, else I guess I'll wait for the Apple to release new driver.
Old 18th August 2015, 13:08   #425
BANNED

@cpbopanna; Kasperky 2016 is compatible, but you have to download from their US site (link in this thread). You install it, and disable while you install Win10 and then enable again.
Old 18th August 2015, 16:01   #426
Senior - BHPian

With the issues people have been facing with the Windows 10 installs, I think it makes sense that the company which creates the software should ideally also create the hardware for a perfect marriage. Microsoft should learn from Apple on how to do a new OS release right.
Old 18th August 2015, 22:20   #427
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
With the issues people have been facing with the Windows 10 installs, I think it makes sense that the company which creates the software should ideally also create the hardware for a perfect marriage. Microsoft should learn from Apple on how to do a new OS release right.
Depends, what about Linux? That is also an open OS. However they seem to be managing very well. Apple is a closed system and is far easier to manage (at a price!).
Old 19th August 2015, 05:46   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Depends, what about Linux? That is also an open OS. However they seem to be managing very well. Apple is a closed system and is far easier to manage (at a price!).
Totally forgot Linux because I also happen to have Ubuntu install in my Windows laptop. Never had a problem even when it was a major upgrade.

Actually the notion that Apple hardware is expensive is no longer true. Spec for spec compare the prices of a MacBook Pro Retina or a similar high end laptop from either Dell or HP, the difference isn't much and sometimes the difference is in the favor of Apple! When you figure the excellent customer service that Apple provides, it becomes a no brainer of sorts.

I got so pissed with upgrade issues, especially drivers that I sold my Alienware 14 went to Mac. Boot camp on Mac makes it really easy to install Windows OS and they even take care of the drivers. All you need to do is, create a partition and install Windows OS and then run the driver installation that install all the requisite drivers one by one automatically and you have your system set up and ready to go in half an hour.
Old 19th August 2015, 05:58   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@cpbopanna; Kasperky 2016 is compatible, but you have to download from their US site (link in this thread). You install it, and disable while you install Win10 and then enable again.
Same issue with Zone Alarm - Win 10 wouldn't install with ZA turned on. There is no warning message - the install simply does not progress and you have to figure out what went wrong by a process of elimination - thankfully my first target for elimination was the firewall/AV.

Post installation, Win 10 refused to let Zone Alarm start up. A search on the ZoneLabs website confirmed that none of the current versions will work on Win 10 - however ZL has helpfully made a Beta version available (use at own risk) that will accept your original product code.
Old 19th August 2015, 10:33   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Build 10525 released to Insiders.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...w-build-10525/
Old 19th August 2015, 18:21   #431
BHPian

With all these compatibility issues, I will defer the Win10 update to my new MSI laptop. Looks like laptops are having the compatibility issues than the deskotps. My desktop is now Win 10, and the migration was really smooth. Win 10 still has some teething issues and would take time to settle down.
Old 19th August 2015, 19:16   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Totally forgot Linux because I also happen to have Ubuntu install in my Windows laptop. Never had a problem even when it was a major upgrade.

Actually the notion that Apple hardware is expensive is no longer true. Spec for spec compare the prices of a MacBook Pro Retina or a similar high end laptop from either Dell or HP....
If its about general use then I would prefer Linux over Windows or Mac.

About not having issues with Mac like what we have in Windows, how many models are there for Mac to handle? 4? 5 or 6 at max? Windows has to handle thousands of different hardware combinations so its obvious to have issues like drivers compatibility in few of the devices.

About price difference vs specs, you don't get top end hardware in Apple. They always run one or two generation behind. Thats one major limitation which keeps many professionals away from them. Then their closed kind of OS environment is another big let down that many of the Mac users are forced to side load something like Windows to keep the Apple computers running.

And please don't name brands like Dell, Lenovo or HP as benchmarks.
Old 19th August 2015, 22:42   #433
BANNED

I had my laptop (then an ASUS i7) running dual boot on Windows 7 and Linux and was using Linux about 40-60%. However, a really bad release of Ubuntu made me scrap Linux and go back to pure Windows. Also, I found that to stay current Linux was as bad as Windows in terms of updates.

I may add that my daughter (toshiba i5 on Win7) ans son in law (Lonovo flex2 i5 on 8.1) both updated their systems to Win10 with no hassles.

Last edited by sgiitk : 19th August 2015 at 22:48.
Old 19th August 2015, 23:32   #434
BHPian

Quote:
I had my laptop (then an ASUS i7) running dual boot on Windows 7 and Linux and was using Linux about 40-60%. However, a really bad release of Ubuntu made me scrap Linux and go back to pure Windows. Also, I found that to stay current Linux was as bad as Windows in terms of updates.
Try out current long term supported Mint 17.2 Cinnamon, you will love that. Mint comes loaded with everything which a normal joy requires during daily day computing, beginning from variety of media players to image editors and office apps. Then interface is much easier, especially for those migrating from Windows.

Windows 10 has also incorporated few features from Linux like multi desktop which Linux have had since ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
With all these compatibility issues, I will defer the Win10 update to my new MSI laptop. Looks like laptops are having the compatibility issues than the deskotps. My desktop is now Win 10, and the migration was really smooth. Win 10 still has some teething issues and would take time to settle down.
This is true, laptops, especially the high end ones are much more complicated to handle than desktops. These days many of the high end laptops have dual graphics card setup where one is for efficiency and another is for intensive power usage purpose like gaming or running multimedia apps. Laptops having such kind of dual setup are facing more issues. Then upgrading from preloaded OEM version is also kind of a task compared to upgrading from stand alone Windows copy.
Old 19th August 2015, 23:43   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Try out current long term supported Mint 17.2 Cinnamon, you will love that..
Yeah. I'm using Mint Cinnamon. Pretty good. Not a single hardware for my laptop needed a driver installation. Pretty fast.

Do you know any email client like Outlook which can be configured for 4-5 email accounts at the same time?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks