Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 13:00   #316
BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I was getting this too.
I downloaded the media creation tool, changed language to english US in win8, and region to united states. Download finished, left home with the update at 39% . Will know if all went well later.
The PC had "notify me: message only. The laptop not even that.
Installation is complete in my laptop.

Give it some time, the installation takes a lot of time.
Old 5th August 2015, 15:47   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post

Installation is complete in my laptop.

Give it some time, the installation takes a lot of time.
Yeah. All in, it took 17 hours. I just came back and the lappy had a "hi there" message. I hope it's better than 8.1. Mine is a flexpad10, bought just cos it looked nice, but sucks at everything else, with no way to install 7.
If 10 is also as bad, then it's back to being a paperweight.
Old 6th August 2015, 01:00   #318
Senior - BHPian

Receiving first update since Windows 10 upgrade. KB3081424

The Windows 10 Thread!-upd.jpg

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 6th August 2015, 13:15   #319
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys need your help on whether to update my laptop running Windows 7 to Windows 10 or not.

I have a Vaio VPCCW16FG and it currently has Windows 7 64 bit,I got a notification this morning saying Windows 10 is ready to be installed,however i'm not sure if the drivers made by Sony are ready yet.

Should I wait or can I go ahead and upgrade ?
Old 6th August 2015, 13:46   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Hey guys need your help on whether to update my laptop running Windows 7 to Windows 10 or not.
Should I wait or can I go ahead and upgrade ?
If you ask me, if you are comfortable with Windows 7 and not missing anything (or want the latest ), you could wait for some more time, and upgrade later this year or early next year. But ensure you do it before the 1 year time period for the free upgrade offer. By then most of the drivers should be ready, and the teething problems sorted.

Just my thoughts.
Old 6th August 2015, 16:27   #321
Senior - BHPian

MS Edge is turning out to be fast. Really really fast! Sometimes its just instantaneous! I think even Chrome is not as fast. Impressive!

Though the app keeps crashing every now and then.
Old 6th August 2015, 16:36   #322
BHPian

I upgraded my Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro a couple of days before. Today I rolled back to Windows 7. Reason: Windows 10 runs a ton of apps on the background which consumed about 1 GB in 5 hours. It calls up Richmond to download snippets of information about weather, finance and others ostensibly for the tiles which I disabled.

Besides, many of the apps I had on my hard drive failed to run - eg:VirtualBox.
But truth be told - the OS is fast and all apps extend to the full screen like they do in Mac OS. Plenty of eye candy every time you hover over a window. May be it is not yet ripe for the prime time. May be I will revisit after a few months.
Old 6th August 2015, 16:42   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
OTOH I have selected "PCs on my local network and PCs on the Internet" for all my home machines to check how well this new 'feature' works.
Thats Microsoft style of 'doing bit for the community' (Just kidding).
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
MS Edge is turning out to be fast. Really really fast! Sometimes its just instantaneous! I think even Chrome is not as fast. Impressive!
Good, atleast now Google might focus on resource consumption of Chrome.
Quote:
Though the app keeps crashing every now and then.
In Windows Phone, if anything crashes, Microsoft shows the start screen and user gets the feeling all is well. They cannot try the same trick on desktop .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Reason: Windows 10 runs a ton of apps on the background which consumed about 1 GB in 5 hours.
Please check post #303 in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3769722
Old 6th August 2015, 16:51   #324
Senior - BHPian

Got rid of the Alienware with windows 10 and got the Retina Mac home! Sanity prevails!
Old 6th August 2015, 16:52   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
did the upgrade today at my work PC and then had to revert to win 7. Windows store kept crashing on me and did not want to open at all. It works in a different user account. Then there is no point in the upgrade as i dont want to reconfigure everything. Will be trying the upgrade again, hopefully will work this time. else will have to wait till i create a PST (should take a few days)

FWIW, this is the issue that I am facing - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-ff7da3c19ef5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@govigov;How about switching to another account and then switching back.

Thank you, sgiitk. I do not want to switch user accounts, because the current one is setup almost perfectly and do not want to start over. Yes, switching to a different user account will work and also make the point of the upgrade moot.

Good news, i tried the upgrade again. This time I just waited for all the windows update to be over and it worked as soon as I opened the store. Now I am all set.

VMware workstation and vsphere client is working. Am upgrading virtualbox now. I read someone had an issue, so if you want to test something specific in virtualbox, let me know.
Old 6th August 2015, 16:57   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Please check post #303 in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3769722
Sure. I did all that as soon as I upgraded the OS. I changed all the settings I could find to minimize the services running in the background. Still as I monitored the network usage, it continued to send/receive hundreds of MB on its own. Apparently until it settles down it will hog the Net usage. One of the apps I couldn't run was the wireshark. I had to depend on TCP-View to take a peek at what is happening.
Old 6th August 2015, 17:14   #327
BHPian

Upgraded my Inspiron 15R to win10. Sadly driver support is the main issue. No display driver, no chipset driver too. Dell site's says no win 10 driver for this model.

Current situation is that, I have a 15" laptop running on 1024x768 resolution which shuts down after 10min due to overheating.
Old 6th August 2015, 17:25   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Upgraded my Inspiron 15R to win10. Sadly driver support is the main issue. No display driver, no chipset driver too. Dell site's says no win 10 driver for this model.

Current situation is that, I have a 15" laptop running on 1024x768 resolution which shuts down after 10min due to overheating.
Hi Vaisakhr,

Please install windows 8.1 drivers. They work well with windows 10. Hopefully the problem will be solved.
Old 7th August 2015, 06:09   #329
BANNED

Keepd asking for key

I tried updating Win8.1 in my Lenovo Flex2-14 to Win10. I downloaded the DVD image of Win10x64 Home using MediaCreationtool. When I tried running it asks for the KAY (It is no expected to) and rejects the key I picked up from the system from two public domain utilities.

What did I do wrong and how to proceed.
Old 7th August 2015, 10:47   #330
BHPian

Re: Keepd asking for key

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I tried updating Win8.1 in my Lenovo Flex2-14 to Win10. I downloaded the DVD image of Win10x64 Home using MediaCreationtool. When I tried running it asks for the KAY (It is no expected to) and rejects the key I picked up from the system from two public domain utilities.

What did I do wrong and how to proceed.
Run the setup from Windows 8.1 screen. Dont boot from DVD.

Most Viewed