Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 12:12   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea of a universal memory card reader can be attached to a 80GB PS3 bought in the US? Also how much does such a card reader cost?
Old 30th March 2008, 23:01   #377
BHPian

@RPM

Is PES2008 better than Fifa 2008 on PS3. And will a PS3 bought from the US work here??, (ie voltage compatibility).
Thanks.
Old 31st March 2008, 02:59   #378
BHPian

no issue with voltage compatibility - they have a universal power supply built into them (100 to 240v) I was using an 80gb US PS3 in India till a few months back.
Old 31st March 2008, 13:56   #379
BHPian

Going to Singapore by end of this month and thinking of picking up a 40 GB PS3 with a few games and a bluetooth remote. Anyone purchased from Singapore? If so please let me know where I can get the console and the games for a cheaper price. Thanks.
Old 11th April 2008, 03:36   #380
Senior - BHPian

Guys is there a new XBOX coming soon with features and looks to compete with PS3 ?
Old 11th April 2008, 07:31   #381
BHPian

now that hd-dvd is dead - i am sure microsoft is thinking of coming out with a blu-ray xbox
Old 11th April 2008, 12:31   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
now that hd-dvd is dead - i am sure microsoft is thinking of coming out with a blu-ray xbox
Oh is it? Where did you read about it?

Shan2nu
Old 11th April 2008, 12:41   #383
BHPian

HD-DVD is dead - blu-ray wins the format war

Its on CNET

CNET's quick guide: HD DVD vs. Blu-ray - CNET reviews

Editors' note: Toshiba has officially announced that it will stop producing HD DVD products, bringing an end to the format war. This guide will be updated to reflect Toshiba's announcement shortly, but in the meantime buyers should steer clear of the now-defunct HD DVD format.
Old 11th April 2008, 13:10   #384
Senior - BHPian

Hehe, after all those talks about how Blu-ray would be a failure.

Shan2nu
Old 11th April 2008, 13:16   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Hehe, after all those talks about how Blu-ray would be a failure.

Shan2nu

but still is XBOX gonna come with good features like Blu-Ray, Bluetooth, blah blah card slots, in built wifi etc...

I was intending to buy XBOX.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:35   #386
BHPian

cheapest blu-ray player is still the PS3

It's official. Toshiba just made a statement saying, " it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders." Cessation of the player and recorders are targeted for March 2008. Volume production of HD DVD disk drives for PCs and games will end in the same time frame. However, Atsutoshi Nishida, President and CEO of Toshiba Corporation did say that Toshiba will, "continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives." That's it folks, the format war is over, Blu-ray has won. Full press release after the break.

Update: Besides stating "no plans" to go Blu-ray during the Q&A, Toshiba committed to stockpiling HD DVD recording media for those who own HD DVD recorders. These will be sold on-line. As for future HD DVD software releases, Mr. Nishida could only say, "it was not our business, we cannot predict their business." Oh really? Is the lack of new titles on a dead platform really so hard to predict?

Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses

19 February, 2008

Company Remains Focused on Championing Consumer Access to High Definition Content

TOKYO--Toshiba Corporation today announced that it has undertaken a thorough review of its overall strategy for HD DVD and has decided it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

HD DVD was developed to offer consumers access at an affordable price to high-quality, high definition content and prepare them for the digital convergence of tomorrow where the fusion of consumer electronics and IT will continue to progress.

"We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called 'next-generation format war' and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop," said Atsutoshi Nishida, President and CEO of Toshiba Corporation. "While we are disappointed for the company and more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass market opportunity for high definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality."

Toshiba will continue to lead innovation, in a wide range of technologies that will drive mass market access to high definition content. These include high capacity NAND flash memory, small form factor hard disk drives, next generation CPUs, visual processing, and wireless and encryption technologies. The company expects to make forthcoming announcements around strategic progress in these convergence technologies.

Toshiba will begin to reduce shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels, aiming for cessation of these businesses by the end of March 2008. Toshiba also plans to end volume production of HD DVD disk drives for such applications as PCs and games in the same timeframe, yet will continue to make efforts to meet customer requirements. The company will continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives within the overall PC business relative to future market demand.

This decision will not impact on Toshiba's commitment to standard DVD, and the company will continue to market conventional DVD players and recorders. Toshiba intends to continue to contribute to the development of the DVD industry, as a member of the DVD Forum, an international organization with some 200 member companies, committed to the discussion and defining of optimum optical disc formats for the consumer and the related industries.

Toshiba also intends to maintain collaborative relations with the companies who joined with Toshiba in working to build up the HD DVD market, including Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation and major Japanese and European content providers on the entertainment side, as well as leaders in the IT industry, including Microsoft, Intel, and HP. Toshiba will study possible collaboration with these companies for future business opportunities, utilizing the many assets generated through the development of HD DVD.

taken from -
Official: HD DVD dead and buried, format war is over - Engadget
Old 11th April 2008, 15:55   #387
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Listen Bluray or not...both systems have their advantages like mine for instance is now 300GB PS3 ..so no need for card readers..and it works out cheaper in the long run..So why not just get a drive huh? read my post on the DIY drive swap for the PS3.
Old 11th April 2008, 16:09   #388
BHPian

I'd say with all the advantages - atleast till MS comes up with xbox720 - the PS3 is a better bet
1) good enough number of titles (i agree not as many as xbox, but PS3 has more media rich titles due to higher capacity discs)
2) upgradeable hard disk without losing warranty
3) a good home pc / media station if you are willing to install linux (again does not affect warranty)
4) cheapest bluray player around with all the bells and whistles (with bluray being the dominant high definition media format)

cheers: i am sure xbox owners will bash me down soon
Old 11th April 2008, 20:42   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post

but still is XBOX gonna come with good features like Blu-Ray, Bluetooth, blah blah card slots, in built wifi etc...

I was intending to buy XBOX.
Maybe inbuilt into the next generation xbox. The only way they are going to do it with the current 360 is add on external drives etc which makes the console look very messy/untidy.

With the PS3 it is all in one so a big positive.
Old 11th April 2008, 21:58   #390
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'll tell you one thing i had the elite xbox 360(black) and used it then sold it (check the classifieds)..the only thing i can tell you is that its like a not so next gen console.
After getting the PS3 one things for sure..Theres no going back..And remember, when the games actually start rolling...Sony will always have better Sony royalty games. Like God of war, GT5 and the others..oh add heavenly sword to it.

My take on this..if you want pirated cheap Hd quality gaming and TheRROD (red ring of death,with the additional hassle of constantly fixing your xbox. Then its fine)
And if you want next Gen gaming for the next 2-3 years without a single fuss and great Hometheatre compatibility then Its Sony (by the way even the elite needs you to pay for HDDVD)

Bluray is standard to the PS3... Verdict..Ive owned both and the best of them both. SONY IS KING, I'm sorry Bill its just not your era.

Last edited by nitroxx : 11th April 2008 at 22:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks