Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2007, 15:06   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinee View Post
Developing a modchip for the PS3 wont be that tedious. It is pointless unless people get hold of BluRay writers, because its mainly about distribution. Getting an altogether abandoned format for their games was clever on Sony's part but it has massively backfired and come the day (if ever, though highly unlikely) when BluRay's prices fall, Sony is going down.
Blue Ray writers are available.

One of the reasons the 360 outsells the PS3 is because they are pretty easy to flash and then you can buy pirated games.
Old 18th November 2007, 15:26   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Their were speculations about MS putting in Blurays about last year. That was solely because their were apprehensions about both the formats and MS wanted to cling to the one that caught on better. Now that they have come out with an HD DVD player, its certainly evident who's leading.
Its an external add on drive which means in case HDDVD loses the format war, MS can just start shipping BRD add on drives instead.
Old 18th November 2007, 16:14   #288
Senior - BHPian

Expect lots more PS3 titles than Xbox titles. PS3 should also be easily cracked shortly.
Old 18th November 2007, 19:02   #289

@bigman: Writers are available, but for god's sake, don't you guys consider costs? Its a bit of a downer. It would be only possible when these things get as common in existence as a DVD. For that to happen the manufacturing costs have to go down significantly or at least the bosses have to cut down on their massive profits and stop exploiting the gullible demographic in the name of gigabytes.

And then there will be the compression issue. Most of the people won't be willing to download 8Gb worth of data for one game.

Its not just about technical advancements, specially in this case because the two contenders are almost head to head. Finally, common sense dictates, it would boil down to the costs and profits. For a new tech-gadget to catch up, one needs to consider the whole lot in terms of consumers. Not just the stinking-rich. Primarily the reason why Paramount Pictures and Dream-Works chose HDDvd and rubbished the other one.
Old 18th November 2007, 19:10   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Its an external add on drive which means in case HDDVD loses the format war, MS can just start shipping BRD add on drives instead.
Why didn't they put in the Bluray external instead until a clear winner emerged?

Are you people pretending to be this ignorant? Because if you are, you are really doing a good job.
Old 19th November 2007, 00:16   #291
Senior - BHPian

I picked up a 60gb PS3 today. Not very impressed with the graphics on the demos I downloaded (Juiced and the new NFS). The graphics look very similar to what I could get from my old Xbox with games like Project Gotham Racing 2 etc.

Glad I only paid the equivalent of £136 for it.

So what games do max the PS3 out in terms of graphics ?
Old 19th November 2007, 00:21   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why didn't they put in the Bluray external instead until a clear winner emerged?

Are you people pretending to be this ignorant? Because if you are, you are really doing a good job.
MS is part of the HDDVD camp, but the very fact that theyre not offering it as an internal drive shows how much confidence they have in the format.
Old 19th November 2007, 07:43   #293
BHPian

try resistance fall of man, formula 1 and then there are quite a few new ones launched like warhawk, etc which I haven't tried. Oh try and get the stranglehold demo its amazing if you like those shooting games

Last edited by jassi : 19th November 2007 at 07:56.
Old 19th November 2007, 18:45   #294
BHPian

Had picked up a XBox 360 to play Forza 2 some time back. Forza is a great game, although the physics is not very realistic when compared to Colin McRae Rally, or even Toca on the PC. Still good, considering I don't have to boot into windows on the laptop to play the occasional game. And of course, nothing beats playing on a large LCD, in HD.

I also got Gears of War, and then tried a demo of BioShock. It is extraordinarily difficult for me to control the gun, as in aim it right using the controller. Have played practically every FPS that came out, but only on the PC, using a mouse to "look". Is it just me having trouble playing FPS using these controllers, or are there other oldies who have similar trouble?

And my quest to "look" with the controller continues, albeit with Halo3 now. Also, don't see a lot of other dudes online from India playing Halo3. Any around here?
Old 19th November 2007, 19:01   #295
BHPian

tadu i am an ex-gamer (ex cos I had an xbox and then switched to ps3 which got stolen) and have completed gears of war 6 months ago - it is an excellent game and last I was playing halo3 on my friends console which is also really good.
Cant remember if I had any problems though with controllers on both ps3 and xbox, maybe in the beginning
Old 20th November 2007, 18:39   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Do you even know how many movies are out there on HD DVD format as compared to BluRay? Even going by that logic HDs will sell out Bluray.
Historical Blu-ray Release Dates | High Def Digest
Historical HD DVD Release Dates | High Def Digest
Actually slightly wrong here!... do see the numbers!..
infact total no of bluray titles are more than hddvd titles...
Quote:
Sony had come out with as many as 8 media formats in the past which have went down head-first. HUGE FLOP! They have been gagging us with their DRM craptrap, but luckily we have non-n00bs who can see through their sophistry.
dont forget the Video8, Digital8 and HDV etc...
Old 21st November 2007, 03:06   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@bigman: Writers are available, but for god's sake, don't you guys consider costs? Its a bit of a downer. It would be only possible when these things get as common in existence as a DVD. For that to happen the manufacturing costs have to go down significantly or at least the bosses have to cut down on their massive profits and stop exploiting the gullible demographic in the name of gigabytes.

And then there will be the compression issue. Most of the people won't be willing to download 8Gb worth of data for one game.

Its not just about technical advancements, specially in this case because the two contenders are almost head to head. Finally, common sense dictates, it would boil down to the costs and profits. For a new tech-gadget to catch up, one needs to consider the whole lot in terms of consumers. Not just the stinking-rich. Primarily the reason why Paramount Pictures and Dream-Works chose HDDvd and rubbished the other one.
People said similar things when games were put on DVD. Costs soon came down. Internet speeds have increased and continue to increase, I remember being on a dial up account but now I have a much faster cable internet setup. The company I am with offers a 20mb which is about 360 times faster than dial up. So d/l a 8gig game will not be such a chore.
Old 21st November 2007, 08:55   #298
BHPian

Do the recent Xbox360 products have that ring of death? I read it was cured only for the Elite version. If I buy one here in India, how would I know?
Old 21st November 2007, 13:17   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Do the recent Xbox360 products have that ring of death? I read it was cured only for the Elite version. If I buy one here in India, how would I know?
If you are lucky you may get one with a Falcon chipset. These are apparently the ones to get. However some of the Elite do use the old chipset. Sometimes you can tell from the serial number as to whether it is a Falcon. Google and you might find a few sites.
Old 21st November 2007, 14:53   #300
BHPian

The 65 nm Falcon chipsets are present only on units from Lot# 0734 onwards produced on or after 8/24/2007.

None of the consoles sold in India including the Halo3 edition consoles have the 65nm chipsets.

The Elite that is available here comes with a modified heatsink, so it does have better cooling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks