Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2007, 13:05   #181
BHPian

so far we got 58%+ losers thats a majority - so the PS3 losers keep winning - if you are doing a console vs PC, add the xboxers to the PS3ers, I am sure the consolers are big fat losers!!

My bad on the earlier post, but seriously I am not contending on the gpu + cell processor capabilities of the PS3 vs that of the nvidia 8 series + core dou PC, which I am sure all the 22 PC gamers have recently upgraded to

I can read a spec sheet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_'Reality_Synthesizer' and agree that 8 series maybe better and so will 9. The pc guys maybe upgrading their graphics card + processor + ram + motherboards and what nots as often as the console junkies maybe upgrading to the next gen console (xbox 720 or PS4).

I agree some people have a god PC and will keep upgrading it to keep it that way, people with lotsa time and enthusiasm to tinker with their PCs. I used to be one of those guys too.

So Enjoy your gaming !!

Cheers,
j

Last edited by jassi : 14th October 2007 at 13:18.
Old 14th October 2007, 14:57   #182
BHPian

I for one am content with my PC which requires no upgrades for sometime - i.e. my PS3 running 2.6 kernel linux, wireless keyboard/mouse and 42" lcd screen. Infact I am posting all my replies from the PS3
Old 14th October 2007, 16:49   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I for one am content with my PC which requires no upgrades for sometime - i.e. my PS3 running 2.6 kernel linux, wireless keyboard/mouse and 42" lcd screen. Infact I am posting all my replies from the PS3
Being a loser ain't always bad, now is it? Like they say, "Sometimes you gotta lose, in order to win". LOL

Shan2nu
Old 14th October 2007, 16:53   #184
Team-BHP Support

id have to say the x-box. just for HALO 3. amazing game.
Old 14th October 2007, 20:49   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
id have to say the x-box. just for HALO 3. amazing game.
Seconded. Get an Xbox360 just for HALO3. The best FPS ever made.
Old 14th October 2007, 23:26   #186
BHPian

halo 3 is awesome - just finished playing a weekend of halo3 on my buddies xbox360 oh and also alternated the playing with resistance fall of man on my ps3.

its all good !!
Old 16th October 2007, 16:33   #187
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, this is my first post from my ps3. It's a bit dif typin with the joystick but i guess i could connect a keyboard / mouse n use it like a proper computer.

Shan2nu
Old 16th October 2007, 17:14   #188
Senior - BHPian

whats the price of the xbox 360 and that of the PS3 ? which one is a better option ?
Old 16th October 2007, 18:19   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
whats the price of the xbox 360 and that of the PS3 ? which one is a better option ?
The PS3 used to be 34K a month ago. You can check out the running price at any Sony dealership.

Technically, the PS3 is more superior but generally, people buy them for the game titles they support. So, if PS3 doesn't support the game you like playing the most (which xbox has), you'd be better off with the X360.

Shan2nu
Old 16th October 2007, 20:18   #190
BHPian

keep in mind if you are picking up the ps3 from US - it will only cost 23k (600usd) for the 80gb one, where-as in India it is 60gb for 34k. Also in US you get a game title and 5 blu-ray movies free
Old 16th October 2007, 20:26   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
Read my posts above and it should be rather clear.
However, speaking of gaming consoles, get the Xbox360. Good vfm. Its cheaper than the PS and there are numerous titles available. Don't forget to grab a copy of Halo3 if you can.
Old 16th October 2007, 20:51   #192

Besides, its utterly pointless to have your assembly of Bluerays and HD media played on a cheap television. You need a proper HDTV.

Here is the expected PS3 expenditure:
PS3: $600
Samsung LNT5265F: $4000
Extra wireless controller: $40
Game of your choice: $60
HDMI cable(ironically, not included in a console made particularly for HD):$25
Glock 17 9mm pistol (Eventually, when you decide to kill the guy who recommended you a PS3): $10,000

Comes out to be quite a lot I'd say.
Old 16th October 2007, 23:32   #193
BHPian

a gaming system/console/pc is one of the components of a complete home entertainment system

Some of the components which give you a good home entertainment experience

1) a large display 40" ( in my case sony 3lcd for 60k)
2) a good sound system ( in my case onkyo 7.1 thx dolby/dts system 60k )
3) a dvd/hd-dvd/bd-dvd player to play movies (in my case its the ps3)
4) a gaming system which connects to items 1 & 2 - this can be a high end PC, or a gaming console like the xbox360 or ps3 (in my case ps3 - picked up for 23k with 5 bluray movies and 1 game title)

also remember that gaming experience is enhanced by a large screen and all games today come with dolby 5.1 sound encoding

total expense in my case under 145,000 INR

i have also owned xbox360 in the past and the experience on both the gaming consoles is top notch.
If you buy a high end gaming PC (60k+)with the latest nvidia 8 series graphics cards, items 1 & 2 mentioned above are optional, provided you are ok to play on your computers puny 17" screen (higher cost with larger monitors) and in stereo sound Add items 1 and 2 above and you goto 60k (tv) + 60k (audio) + 60k (pc) = 180k

Also note - You may already own items 1 & 2 above or maybe planning to buy them some day to build up your home entertainment system in which case, if you already have a decent tv (21"/29") or so, you'd still be better off with a gaming console, I have multiple friends who are doing great with an xbox360 or PS3 on a standard tv.

The gaming console route is pretty much hassle free, if you are not comfy putting all your eggs in microsoft windows' basket. With gaming consoles you have virtually no hassles of crashes as in PCs or applying security hotfixes released by microsoft every second tuesday, there are no security threats as of today, you don't need to upgrade the hardware to play the latest games and the games are great

Enuff said !!

Xbox360 or PS3 - either ways you should be happy

PS - i am not a noob when it comes to PCs, have assembled and used multiple high end gaming PCs over the last 26yrs of my life and also have multiple years of experience in the IT industry
Old 17th October 2007, 01:24   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i am not a noob when it comes to PCs, have assembled and used multiple high end gaming PCs over the last 26yrs of my life and also have multiple years of experience in the IT industry
Your posts don't reflect that. Seems like you lost the industry nerve somewhere around 1990.
And. The point you mentioned about no security hassles.. FYI there have been cases with the Xbox Live. There aren't as many because people just don't bother to write viruses particularly for the consoles. Majority is still and will always remain with the PCs there's no two ways about it. However, if someone had the inclination, consoles are as prone.

Yes of course, you don't need to upgrade hardware for a new release, you upgrade consoles. If you knew your hardware right, it could all cost 1/2 as much as the PS, but of of course you wont have anything to brag about in the pub.

Let me reiterate the one and the only logical reason to buy a console:Title Monopoly

Research the market. Get you facts straight. Get opinions of people all around(i.e. if you are really into IT and interested in all this). If a few people on a CAR forum vote PS3 as the best thing since sliced bread, it doesn't make any of a difference.

We are just beating around the bush now . Come back with a little more rational reply next time.
Old 17th October 2007, 01:36   #195
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinee View Post
Seconded. Get an Xbox360 just for HALO3. The best FPS ever made.

Wait for Killzone 2 on PS3...or maybe Crysis...or even Unreal Tournament,,, PS3 is gonna be a kick-a** system for 2008.For now am jus happy with Res:FOM, Tiger 08 and Heavenly Sword!!

Most Viewed