Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2007, 14:33   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
from practical experience - i looked at multiple stores - compusa, bestbuy, target, etc - I am a regular at these places once in 3-6 months. I'm mostly quite pally with these store sales guys. ANd at all these places, PS3 sales match the xbox360 sales, with Wii slightly lagging. They sell as many of both xbox360 and ps3, and in cases where one is sold out, so is the other.
NDP group who tracks the real time sales in North America.
Their figures seems to indicate contrary to what you say...
NPD figures for September...
(NOTE: VG charts is an independant entity who tracks the sales from extrapolation of existing data and wathing market trends. So these links basically have a comparision of VG charts figures against the actual (NPD). You only need to take a look at NPD figures.. Also.. some time VGcharts have used their opinions... you should read them with that in mind..)
Video Game Chartz - Nintendo - Sony - Microsoft - News
XBox 360 outsold every other consoles due to launch of Halo3.
NPD for August...
Wii > XBox > PS3... Xbox again on top due to price cuts...
NPD for July..
Wii > XBox > PS3.... Ps3 have a surge in sales due to price cut..
NPD for June...
Wii > XBox > PS3... Again a huge difference between PS3 and XBox
NPD for May...
Wii > XBox > PS3... Xbox = 2 * PS3 sales...
NPD for April...
Wii > Xbox > Ps3... Xbox = 2 * PS3 sales...

So in the last 6 months.. no where did PS3 > Xbox sales...

Quote:
Same applies to Singapore stores, where I am a regular, both the PS3 and xbox360s are sold in equal numbers.
This could be true... But not sure...
Quote:
The number of PS3s out there are certainly not the same as the number of xbox360s, due the lead the xbxo360 had earlier on, however as of today they are sold in equal numbers. We can keep pointing linkies and where they come from, but the fact is PS3 is technically a more advanced offering (bd, wifi, linux capability, etc) and is set to outsell sometime in near future, when there are 70+ titles available
I do agree that PS3 is technically more advanced and also on a higher price point...
Like I said in one of my previous posts... having more techically advanced console doesnt translate it to better game play...
the only reason Wii outselling other consoles ...
Old 23rd October 2007, 14:42   #227
BHPian

hey antoni - my analysis was from personal experience from the big stores in US and singapore who sell as many xboxes as PS3s.
This has been the case since Jan 2007 and I can vouch from that.
Sure as far as real numbers go XBOX360 may be sold at many more places than these big 10-15 stores and may outsell PS3 in those places and in totality have more sales. But in my experience, the big electronics guys sell as many PS3s as they do xboxes
Old 23rd October 2007, 15:36   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Can u ask them about PS3 as well?

Shan2nu
Shan2nu Do read the reply from below!...

Play-Asia.com Customer Support message from 2007-10-23 11:59:20 HKT
Dear Antony,

Thank you for contacting Play-Asia.com.

No worry, PS3 games are region free for all PS3 consoles, so you may expect that Japanese games and US games are compatible your PAL PS3 system.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Bryan
Play-Asia.com

Customer message from 2007-10-22 17:11:16 HKT
I have a PS3 bought from India (PAL version).
Which version (US, Asia or Japan) of PS3 games should I buy so that it is playable on my system?
Or there are no region coding on PS3 games ? ie. I can play games released on US on my system?
Old 23rd October 2007, 15:39   #229
BHPian

like i said PS3 is region free and I am using games purchased in India on US PS3

PC games are also region free (decided to say that before vinee jumps on me claiming the same)
Old 23rd October 2007, 18:49   #230
Senior - BHPian

Thats great news. Does this apply to Blu Ray movies as well? if so, i can order them in bulk.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd October 2007, 22:38   #231
BHPian

not bluray movies are region coded !!
Old 24th October 2007, 04:35   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinee View Post
Talk about irony! That link comes from www.ps3fanboy.com
its run by a company that also runs www.xboxfanboy.com so I dont see any reason for them to be biased.
Old 24th October 2007, 09:43   #233
Senior - BHPian

Why are you guys fighting over a bunch of consoles? How does it affect you if one sells less than the other? I'm sure Sony and Microsoft have pros working 24x7, trying to figure out new ways to market/sell their products. Let them do the thinking!!!

As long as your console offers games that you love playing, you really shouldn't have a prob. I've had the PS2 for 2 years now and the only game that has ever been played on it is GT4 (and we've had a blast doing so). I couldn't care less about the other titles, PS2 supports.

Even the PS3 is lying under wraps, waiting for GT5 to be launched. I bought these consoles for specific reasons and not just bcos my neighbour has an Xbox, Wii or whatever else sells.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 24th October 2007 at 09:47.
Old 24th October 2007, 10:24   #234
BHPian

shant2nu - to each his own gaming device (pc, ps3 or xbox) it doesnt really matter as long as you enjoy and get to play the games. I have said this multiple times before, unfortunately some people just dont get it and are still trying to prove pc over console or one console over the other

I have owned an xbox360, pc and now I am on PS3 and am very happy, the same maybe the case with someone who owns an xbox and someone who maybe content with a gaming pc and yes most of us do play on (if not own) multiple consoles

End of Story - plz vote for your gaming device and move on. This silly "mine is bigger than yours" has to be stopped now.

cheers,
j
Old 24th October 2007, 12:51   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a query, when bringing in a PS3 from US, do we need to declare it at customs? Should we walk straight through the green channel or confess?
Old 24th October 2007, 14:59   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a query, when bringing in a PS3 from US, do we need to declare it at customs? Should we walk straight through the green channel or confess?
Just spoke to a friend who's getting a PS3 from the US. He told me that the PS3 can be brought without paying any duty. I believe you only need to pay duty if the you bring products worth beyond a certain price tag (10,000 dollars is what i heard).

Can somebody confirm the duty free limit?

Shan2nu
Old 24th October 2007, 15:37   #237
BHPian

i travel frequently to US and singapore and being a gadget freak I have got multiple gadgets from abroad.

Things to remember if you are staying for more than 5 days abroad, the limit is Rs.25,000 on duty free goods and for less than 5 days it is Rs.10,000.

You can get 1 laptop duty free irrespective of value and hard disks drives are also duty free (i have a complete pdf which you can get from indian duty and taxes site)

I have got an xbox360 and a PS3 from singapore and US respectively. If you are carrying goods above 25k, please goto red channel.
You can sneak past customs and go straight to green channel but if you get caught you are done for and yes they frequently catch people going to green channel and tell them to open their bags.

If you do goto green channels -
Do not carry the PS3 or any item above 25k in its original packaging. Best option put the gaming console in your back pack and on scanning say you have a computer. On the scan it will show up as a device with harddisk and cd-drive and that matches if you say its a comp (used not new). If they ask to open and see inside your backpack, then dont hesitate and confidently show the contents (but dont say its a gaming console as they are not duty free above 25k)

Another point PS3 is 599usd which is 24k and you are in limit. Make sure if you are buying games or other gadgets you bill em seperately, so that if asked you can just show the PS3 bill and you will be in limit. If you show the bill of PS3, then make sure they cannot prove you have more gadgets.
Make sure any camera or gadgets you are carrying from india are declared while departing as if not then on arrival they will add to your PS3 amount and you will exceed 25k and you will go in a loop of negotiations with customs.

On landing you will fill the custom declarations forms, the declared amount of goods to be filled in there is 0 (ZERO).

Hope this helps never thought all my gadget sneaking will be useful to anyone

Last edited by jassi : 24th October 2007 at 15:40.
Old 24th October 2007, 18:00   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another point PS3 is 599usd which is 24k and you are in limit. Make sure if you are buying games or other gadgets you bill em seperately, so that if asked you can just show the PS3 bill and you will be in limit. If you show the bill of PS3, then make sure they cannot prove you have more gadgets.

On landing you will fill the custom declarations forms, the declared amount of goods to be filled in there is 0 (ZERO).

Hope this helps never thought all my gadget sneaking will be useful to anyone
Thanks Jassi. Now PS3 80GB is available for $499, so its 20K. So do we just announce that we are carrying PS3? And, do we opt for red or green channel?
Old 24th October 2007, 19:30   #239
BHPian

as you are within the 25k limit walk straight through the green channel, if asked for proudly show your bill of 500usd
Also do not carry it in a transparent bag with the box flashing around, best put in your backpack or something and noo don't put it your checkin baggage, you'll be suprised at the way checkin baggage is handled and electronics are damaged a lot of times that way!!
Old 24th October 2007, 20:09   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
as you are within the 25k limit walk straight through the green channel, if asked for proudly show your bill of 500usd
Also do not carry it in a transparent bag with the box flashing around, best put in your backpack or something and noo don't put it your checkin baggage, you'll be suprised at the way checkin baggage is handled and electronics are damaged a lot of times that way!!
Alright, then green channel is the way to go

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks