Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2007, 17:54   #106
JPL
BHPian

Well to start with you have two options:

Free: AVG is overall good, Avast is better if you want to have light running Anti-Virus.

Paid: The best Kaspersky, according to googling and on the Kaspersky site and also many feedbacks on different forums.

So there you go..
Old 29th December 2007, 19:56   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Can some one tell me which is the best AV or program to help me clear worms/trojans/joke programs? There are so many worms in my data, i need immediate help!
For AV use NOD32 or Kaspersky. These are the ones i find best as they utilize less resources and works gr8.

For spyware (even though both of them take care of spywares) u can you Spybot Search and Destroy or windows defender (its heavy on resources though)

Last edited by abhibh : 29th December 2007 at 20:13.
Old 29th December 2007, 20:12   #108
BHPian

I use NOD32 antivirus and Zonealarm pro firewall.
Its the best combination i have ever used, there's hardly anything that will get through this.
Old 29th December 2007, 20:20   #109
BANNED

Tried all known antiviruses but the Avast free home edition is far better the purchesed one.Try that and you will come to know that some times free things are better then costly items.
Old 30th December 2007, 13:31   #110
Senior - BHPian

I uses Kaspersky antivirus on vista.
Old 30th December 2007, 13:54   #111
Senior - BHPian

I am using the following:

Avast : for antivirus (was using AVG previously).
ZoneAlarm : for firewall
Spybot S&D and AD-Aware SE Personal : for spyware / malware / all-wares(!)

And last of all - Always keep the above and the OS updated with latest patch / SP. :-)
Old 30th December 2007, 19:06   #112
BHPian

Avast free edition for Vista now and AVG for desktop before
AVG anti-spyware
Spywareblastware
Updated windows
Old 23rd January 2008, 02:59   #113
Senior - BHPian

I use avast, but its on my linux install, and i use it to scan my windows installs every now and then. Its foolproof, and there's no performance hit
Old 25th January 2008, 07:25   #114
BANNED

Kaspersky on Windoze XP SP2 !
Old 25th January 2008, 11:55   #115
Senior - BHPian

just got Kaspersky myself! .. Internet security 7.0.0.125!

I seem to have lost all my "copy.exe" files.... so now none of the hard drives open with a double click... Need to reverse click and open.

Any means of resolving this?
Old 25th January 2008, 12:09   #116
Team-BHP Support

I use CA e-Trust suite on my laptops. It takes care of the AV and the firewall part of it.

Although eTrust also has a Spyware thing I prefer using AdAware. Yesterday night upgraded my AdAware SE to AdAware 2007.

My desktop back home though uses the Avast anti-virus with Commodo firewall and AdAware anti-spyware.

Dad's new lappy came with a limited period free Norton. Will have to change that to eTrust the next time I go home.
Old 25th January 2008, 12:19   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I use CA e-Trust suite on my laptops. It takes care of the AV and the firewall part of it.

Although eTrust also has a Spyware thing I prefer using AdAware. Yesterday night upgraded my AdAware SE to AdAware 2007.

My desktop back home though uses the Avast anti-virus with Commodo firewall and AdAware anti-spyware.

Dad's new lappy came with a limited period free Norton. Will have to change that to eTrust the next time I go home.
How does CA AV raks up against compititon?
I have been thinking about getting it as it is really cheap compared to others (20 US$ as agianst 40 US$ for Kaspersky) but haven't heard any first hand review of the same.
Old 25th January 2008, 12:25   #118
Senior - BHPian

I use McAfee® VirusScan® Plus--Special edition from AOL

Its free for one year.

http://dc.aol.com/cgi-bin25/DM/y/hvPa0BOZ4Mo0Lwg0OQW0EQ

Get it from the above link, FREE legal copy.

Was using Kaspersky myself earlier for 1 year, again free from AOL
Old 25th January 2008, 12:30   #119
Senior - BHPian

I have been sticking to Avast free edition since 1 year after trying AVG, CA e-Trust, Norton paid version and few others in the previous years. I find Avast better than paid versions of few other brands.

Ad-Aware SE is used regularly for spyware, trojans etc. There is no updation on this happening since 2 months, I doubt if I have to find a latest version or change to some other.

Airtel broadband installer had set up Spybot on my system as part of their Net-Xpert agent (1 month back). No idea if I have to consider keeping this as a replacement for Ad-Aware SE.

Rating wise (Cnet.com), AVG tops the list for many months in a row, followed by Ad-Aware 2007 and Avast. I find less issues with internet in India compared to middle east. My desktop and laptop crashed many times in my stay there. None of the anti-virus programmes seemed effective. Probably ISP server itself was failing on their firewall allowing virus and spywares pass into end-user systems.
Old 25th January 2008, 12:37   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
How does CA AV raks up against compititon?
I have been thinking about getting it as it is really cheap compared to others (20 US$ as agianst 40 US$ for Kaspersky) but haven't heard any first hand review of the same.
I would sum it up thus, "As long as they work they are all the same". Till date I have not had any case of virus infecting my two laptops (mine and my wife's). Till date only once it happened that I encountered a virus trying to push in (from the Hyundai Verna price-list page, for which posted a warning here). eTrust immediately stopped it and even helpfully suggested that it can blacklist the site (I guess that means it will make a note in its firewall register to not let this site through in future) which I declined.

So I would say I am happy. Norton is a pain. In multiple ways. Its a resource hog and it does not like being dumped for another AV either. So Norton I stopped using some time back. Next big name was CA. And of course there is this small matter of CA eTrust being free for me. So that's another big advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Ad-Aware SE is used regularly for spyware, trojans etc. There is no updation on this happening since 2 months, I doubt if I have to find a latest version or change to some other.
I changed my AdAware SE to the latest 2007 yesterday night. The reason was the same. It is bloody not updating on its own. However after updating to AdAware 2007 its still somehow not connecting to the server, I do not know why! Thankfully now you can download the latest definition files manually from the site. So downloaded the core.zip from the AdAware site and asked the thing to use this definition file from now on.

Last edited by Zappo : 25th January 2008 at 12:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks