Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2008, 05:03   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Enzyme... It is available in India. I bought it from their distributor for Rs.700/- NETT! License valid for 1 year.... The MRP on the case is Rs.2,400/-
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
You just made the right choice brother. Using kaspersky for like 3 years now no virus attack or anything. I am still using the 6 version.

BTW as kb100 mentioned the price is way too much. Is it Internet security or just Antivirus because i paid Rs 600 1.5 years back for Kaspersky Antivirus 6.

IT-Depot
Really? Damn now I was impatient.Well i kinda panicked since the issue was with my laptop which I use to VPN in( all kinds of non disclosure and other security warnings came to my mind). I had McAfee (the corporate version) that my company had installed in for me. Apparently that was even not suffecient for my web forays. So I decided to get a better one ASAP and hence I did not pause to think whether I can get it cheaper. Any way I still think It is money well spent since Kaspersky found and destroyed viruses, that McAfee had no idea were viruses.

EDIT: BTW I bought 'Internet Security 7'..the whole deal. Actually I paid $6 extra for the yearly updates. However for a 3 pc deal would have cost me $120 something. I guess if any of you plan to buy this , you should gang up and buy it.

Last edited by fiery enzyme : 30th January 2008 at 05:11.
Old 30th January 2008, 05:09   #137
BHPian

Hmm...Even though the discussion is about AV, I should also mention I use System Mechanic Pro.. however I use it only to clean up the junk and fix broken threads and shortcuts and the rest. I did not install its antivirus.

I waste a lot of money Dont I..
Old 30th January 2008, 11:48   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
EDIT: BTW I bought 'Internet Security 7'..the whole deal. Actually I paid $6 extra for the yearly updates. However for a 3 pc deal would have cost me $120 something. I guess if any of you plan to buy this , you should gang up and buy it.

The price I mentioned IS for the "Internet security 7" ..The single user one allows you to install it on one desktop and one laptop (or so I seem to remember). Anyway at these prices even if you buy 3 individual packs it will still come upto Rs.2,100/- onwards (depending in where you pick it up), and that is still way cheaper than $120.

Oh yes...the license is valid for a year and the unpdates are free for that duration.
Old 30th January 2008, 11:52   #139
BHPian

Hi All

Symantec's Norton is the best in home pc..

and one more info behind my comment.

I head the regional sales for symantec for tamilnadu & kerala :-)

i was there before with TrendMicro too.. and knew abt its limitations too
Old 30th January 2008, 15:30   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
The price I mentioned IS for the "Internet security 7" ..The single user one allows you to install it on one desktop and one laptop .
@kb100, could you pass on the distributor information. The trend micro package that came with my laptop expired, and I think I will go for Kapersky this time. The price quoted for trend micro is $40. Kapersky sounds more vfm to me. Also is it heavy on resources?
Old 30th January 2008, 16:32   #141
BHPian

Guys,

Try McAfee site advisor.Trust me it is great product and It is a free download. http://www.siteadvisor.com?cid=27092
Old 30th January 2008, 16:42   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Kapersky sounds more vfm to me. Also is it heavy on resources?
I am running VISTA and kaspersky 6. There are 2 avp.exe running all the time. The total kaspersky processes are taking 5 MB in total. I will post the screen shot as soon as this BSNL internet starts working fine.

During startup it uses about 20 MB but settles down to around 2 - 5 MB and then accordingly uses memory as u open up files and stuff. But never more than 20 MB in my case. During startup it scan startup files and services etc and MBR too and you can turn that off too but its better to have it that way.

My laptop still boots within 1 min to workable desktop with kaspersky installed and scanning.

Last edited by abhibh : 30th January 2008 at 16:44.
Old 30th January 2008, 19:00   #143
Senior - BHPian

ScreenShot:
Old 31st January 2008, 14:43   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I am running VISTA and kaspersky 6. There are 2 avp.exe running all the time. The total kaspersky processes are taking 5 MB in total. I will post the screen shot as soon as this BSNL internet starts working fine.

During startup it uses about 20 MB but settles down to around 2 - 5 MB and then accordingly uses memory as u open up files and stuff. But never more than 20 MB in my case.
Thanks for the information, currently the trend micro process is hogging 50 megs !!. So looks like its going to be a drastic improvement.
Old 10th February 2008, 00:29   #145
BANNED

Kaspersky 7, was a Panda user sometime back!
Old 10th February 2008, 21:34   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalaap View Post
Eset NOD32 Antivirus
i use the same, good service.
Old 10th February 2008, 22:14   #147
BHPian

I use Avast along with PC Tools Firewall plus, no problems so far. Avast is probably the best free AV software.
Old 11th February 2008, 03:45   #148
Senior - BHPian

Folks.. How stable is Vista?...

I have dual booted my system on Vista/XP (actually triple - Linux too) .. And some one was telling me you do not need an anti virus on Vista because the windows defender in it can take care of itself etc. Can all ye knowledgeable ones please shed some light?!?

Secondly - will Kaspersky allow me to run on both the platforms simultaneously - or will I have to buy a multi user license. (Both Vista and XP are on the same hard disk - different partitions. )
Old 11th February 2008, 18:12   #149
BHPian

kb100, windows defender is not an antivirus program - it only offers protection from spyware and malware. You need a regular antivirus program to go with it.

On the question of Kaspersky licenses for a dual-boot config, it looks like a single user license would suffice.
Check this out:
One computer using dualboot with two OS, how many licenses do i need? - Kaspersky Lab Forum

Vista and stability don't go together - at least on my Dell laptop! :(

Last edited by spindoc : 11th February 2008 at 18:13. Reason: Added note on Vista stability
Old 11th February 2008, 18:22   #150
Senior - BHPian

I use Avast free home edition anti virus, has everything that a home PC(in My case a Vista based laptop) would ever need

Avast Free Anti Virus

Was using Grisoft's AVG Free anti virus before but found Avast to be slightly better

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks