Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2022, 23:20   #3886
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
data recovery companies
Yes, but likely to be expensive. If it is business or property issues, then that might be the way to go, but if it is something like family memories, photos, etc, then good advice has been given here on how to access that.
Old 31st December 2022, 08:49   #3887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Ok, small update.

Thanks to your tips, I disconnected all the HDDs (1 SSD and 2 HDDs) and installed the NVMe in another slot.

Doing that, system is online initially and I am able to get into BIOS
Have you tried booting into the OS, if the NVMe is your boot drive? I remember the first time i installed an NVMe on another Ryzen 3 system of mine, it didn't show up in the BIOS at all. But once i cloned the boot drive to this SSD and disconnected that drive it directly booted up into Windows on the SSD and the next time, it showed up in the BIOS. May or may not work, speaking from past experience
Old 2nd January 2023, 11:56   #3888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
Have you tried booting into the OS, if the NVMe is your boot drive? I remember the first time i installed an NVMe on another Ryzen 3 system of mine, it didn't show up in the BIOS at all. But once i cloned the boot drive to this SSD and disconnected that drive it directly booted up into Windows on the SSD and the next time, it showed up in the BIOS. May or may not work, speaking from past experience
Er my boot device is the NVMe drive but it does not show up in bios so does not boot into windows as well :(

Getting a standy NVMe today to check if the drive is faulty.
Old 2nd January 2023, 20:34   #3889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Er my boot device is the NVMe drive but it does not show up in bios so does not boot into windows as well :(

Getting a standy NVMe today to check if the drive is faulty.
I see. Well, hard luck i guess. Important part is that thankfully motherboard is not fried. Good luck
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:43   #3890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
Important part is that thankfully motherboard is not fried.
Thanks. This is the biggest silver lining! A new nvme will set me back by 3k or so which is way better than getting a new mobo for 17k odd!
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 05:33   #3891
Senior - BHPian

Built an all new PC for my kiddo. He has an Xbox Series S and wanted a Gaming PC to go along with it. Microsoft's Game Pass Ultimate subscription allows gameplay on both devices. I was heading down the path of a custom PC build after many years. I was zapped at the options available these days. You get addressable RGB lights for the cabinet, ram, fans, etc. The quality and design of the cpu case has changed so much that you don't need to do too much to tidy all the cables. The layout automatically does this for you. Power supplies are now seated at the bottom of the case and the cables route behind the motherboard plate. I picked AMD as my cpu. Am aware the current gen Intel Alder Lake parts outerperform this particular AMD. I just have a soft corner for the brand and their rise over the last 5 to 7 years.

Here's a list of parts that I used:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600. I had the option of getting the X version of the same chip but found it rather pointless when you can overclock this one too. Besides; I don't think any overclocking will be happening anytime soon. Note that this particular AMD cpu does come with its own fan inside the box. Some of their higher end CPU's don't.

For the motherboard, I decided to go with a MSI B550 based chipset in the form of the B550M Pro VDH WIFI. This had everything I needed on board.

For ram, I went with a Kingston Fury Beast 8gb * 2 DDR4 sticks which was sold as a dual channel pair. Link

For the nvme (or storage), I wanted a really good and affordable 1Tb boot drive. I narrowed down on the Adata Legend 960 Max. The second data drive was a cheap though decent Lexar NM620

I was not looking for anything too fancy for the gpu. Picked up a Powercolor Radeon 6500XT

For Cpu cooling, I picked up the Be Quiet's Pure Rock 2 in black. A simple, quiet and easy to install air cooler. The only complaint I have is the fan install which results in easy bending of the fine heat spreader fins. You can straighten them easily. Those fins are quite sharp too. Care must be taken when handling this unit.

For power, I decided to stay with Be Quiet again with the Pure Power 11 series of 600 watt rating. Should be plenty power for a budget gaming rig like this. Once again, a quiet power supply. Is not modular as a result of its price point so a cabinet with sufficient room to hide or tuck all the unused cables will be good.

For the case, I picked up a Phantek Magnium Gear Neo Air in White. This was the hardest part to choose. My son wanted all those dancing rgb lights and being new to all this, I couldn't tell the difference from one brand to the other. I took a gamble with this one and in the end, I am happy with my choice. Very nice cable management, decent build and the unit has a built in RGB controller for the fan led's. This is useful if you have an older pc where the motherboard does not have a 3 pin slot for controlling the RGB lights via the mother board software. I also liked the supplied Skiron PWM capable RGB fans. Not too loud and the fans are placed behind a fine air filter. Likewise for the power supply unit. It has a fan filter below it to limit dust intake.

For additional case exhaust cooling, I added two Phantek PWN capable 120mm fans. This is the one part I cheaped out on and I don't know why. For a couple of dollars more, I could have bought Be Quiet's which are known for their silent operation.

For the operating system, I loaded up Windows 11. Except for the operating system crying for an ethernet connection to get going, the overall install was a breeze.

I had a bit of difficulty with the Adata nvme drive. It comes supplied with a heat spreader you need to fix on top and behind the nvme drive. This process was easy, however, on trying to fix it on the nvme slot on the motherboard, I found a rubber stand off on the motherboard which was coming in the way. A normal nvme drive without a heat spreader should sit just fine. In this case, I had to rip out that rubber grommet. I did a little google search about this and found a lot of users reporting about this rubber part on other brands of motherboards too. Some trim it off, some remove it entirely if its coming in the way of installing the primary nvme.

I started the build by fitting most components on the motherboard first. First was the cpu, the Be Quiet cpu air cooler, then the ram, followed by the two nvme drives. All of this was done before dropping the motherboard into the cabinet, as you get more clearance when the motherboard is free standing outside the case. This was a good call as the Be Quiet cooler is pretty large and you won't be able to install it easily if the motherboard is inside the cabinet. After dropping in the motherboard into the cabinet, I installed the gpu card, did all the wire routing and plugging in of the case wires. Did a test power on and all was well. I need to do a little fine tuning of the fans. Except for the cpu fan, they are all set to DC mode and tend to run at a higher rpm. The motherboard bios does allow finer control of the fans so I will have a play with it.

All in all, a very satisfying build.
sandeepmohan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 11:02   #3892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Built an all new PC for my kiddo.
Can you share the prices for each component as well?
Old 27th January 2023, 12:11   #3893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you share the prices for each component as well?
All prices in NZD.
Cpu : $249
Motherboard : $205
Ram : $170
Gpu : $349
Adata : $171
Lexar : $69
Case : $135
PSU : $136
Fans : $15 each
Cpu cooler : $80
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 19:40   #3894
BHPian

Well I recently upgraded and got a new system two weeks ago. This will be majorly used as a gaming rig for my Sim setup. Sharing the configuration below.

AMD Ryzen 7 7700 (Non X) with stock cooler ( Wraith Prism )
Gigabyte Aorus Elite B650 Wi-Fi
PSU XPG Core Reactor 750W Gold
Crucial P3 Gen 3 500GB and 1TB Nvme M.2 ssd
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb x 2 - 5200 Mhz DDR5 RAM
Asus Dual 12GB 6700XT GPU
NZXT H5 white Flow Case
Deepcool CF120 Argb fans x 2

Really happy with the overall setup as it looks very neat and is extremely silent. Temperatures are well controlled for the CPU. I play in 2K High/ultra settings and the temps are around 55 to 60 degrees

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-img_5931.jpeg  

aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 22:03   #3895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Really happy with the overall setup as it looks very neat and is extremely silent. Temperatures are well controlled for the CPU. I play in 2K High/ultra settings and the temps are around 55 to 60 degrees

Cheers
Congratulations! Really neat cable management. How many displays are you running on this?
Old 21st February 2023, 23:37   #3896
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers
What about fan noise?
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:03   #3897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well I recently upgraded and got a new system two weeks ago. This will be majorly used as a gaming rig for my Sim setup. Sharing the configuration below.
Can you please share a pic with the full view of the inside components?
Old 22nd February 2023, 12:03   #3898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prayaglele View Post
Congratulations! Really neat cable management. How many displays are you running on this?
Thank you. Running a single screen setup for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytragopan View Post
What about fan noise?
Hardly noticeable even I full load

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you please share a pic with the full view of the inside components?
Surely. Attaching some below though the system is switched off.
Attached Thumbnails
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-6081fb70abfd415d9da53f53bba7ef2d.jpeg  

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-8990615907a642718e9b20ad6065932d.jpeg  

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-4ac7ac06d4ba4160add5fc8f856582ec.jpeg  

Last edited by aditya.bhardwaj : 22nd February 2023 at 12:06.
Old 6th March 2023, 18:00   #3899

If anyone wants help in speccing their next PC, do reach out to me in a PM or a reply to this message.
Old 8th March 2023, 13:00   #3900
Senior - BHPian

My frustrations with windows knows no bounds.

A few weeks back, windows would not let me log onto my pc with PIN. Kept saying I had tried logging in with wrong PIN multiple times and now i have to leave the computer on for two hours and then type a specific code and get inside.

Did that twice, restarted after logging in and same message at the login screen.

Followed a lot of suggestions online and in fruitless frustration formatted the drive and reinstalled windows!

Now i can log on fine enough, but my daughter can't. Her account is set up as a family member and in her logon screen it says set pin, i click that, screen goes blank for a few seconds and promptly goes back to the logon screen again!

Her account is allowed for logging in.

Shall try a local account and see

Most Viewed