Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2008, 20:50   #2311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
Panny 42 PV8 available at 39,990 in Hyderabad.
Really !!! unbelievable

Delhi guys .. anyone has any info on 42PV8 or PV80 rates in delhi .. do we have any similar offers at any retails outlets for these sets? Pls share

Thanks in advance
Old 28th December 2008, 22:37   #2312
BHPian

Ok just today I bought the PV8 from reliance digital for 49K. The offer from J.D is against an exchange of a working 29 in TV with remote control.
Old 28th December 2008, 23:04   #2313
BHPian

One question. Do I need to have stabilizer for my newly bought Pana PV8?
Old 29th December 2008, 15:45   #2314
BHPian

Some say it's needed other believe the stabilizer is built-in and hence an external one is not required. I'm running my PV80 without a stabilizer for the last couple of months without a problem but this thing is like an insurance - you will find its use only when something goes wrong.

Bottomline - If you are paranoid use one otherwise take a chance
Old 29th December 2008, 18:16   #2315
BHPian

NCR guys - Anyone has purchased PV8 or PV80 recently? Where can I get the best rates for these ... Pls share

Most electronic stores seem to have Samsung, LG or Sony in stock ...
Old 31st December 2008, 16:49   #2316
BHPian

Hi guys, my HD quest has finally ended - will be getting either a Sony X-series 40" or a W-series 46" LCD in the next couple of days. The KLV-40X450A has got a very good review in this month's 'What Hi-Fi' - I was sold the moment I read it Standard definition content looks delicious on both, but the X-series is a tad sharper & the black levels are better.

I'd like some feedback from X-series & W-series owners regarding the pros & cons of each. Both the 40X450A & the 46W400A are in the same price range, & I would be watching them from around 10' to 12'. With the W-series, I'll be getting a much bigger panel, hence it would be great for gaming with the 360 - would I be losing out on a lot if I opt for the W-series LCD ?

P.S. - The X-series has stuff like WCG-CCFL & Motionflow 100Hz/120Hz, are these really important ?

Last edited by im_srini : 31st December 2008 at 16:55.
Old 2nd January 2009, 02:01   #2317
Senior - BHPian

folks, I have a question.

My old 26 inch LCD TV (niko) has PIP. with AV1/YPbPr1 it shows analog TV signal on PIP. With AV2/YPbPr2, it shows VGA on PIP. Is it like this in all TVs?

I want to watch one YPbPr input (my cable) with any other AV input (a surveillance camera). the only solution I can think of right now is use the analog cable from my cable box and use it with AV1 for surveillance camera. But I lose HDTV cabalities then. Any other ideas?

EDIT : I found this " PIP: Only one HD PIP source. The other PIP must be SD. That means no DVI/VGA PIP. No Component/Component PIP. Only one PIP source can be Component, DVI, or VGA. I planned to do a bit of PIPing with the PC on DVI. I got around this by making redundant inputs for my STD and DVD source (Hooked them up via SVideo as well as Component, so it uses Svideo instead when PIPing with these sources). Quality is obviously lower when PIPing with an SVideo input, but at least I can get picture that way."
Here: Anyone ever hear of the Niko OTP-3211W 32" HDTV-LCD? [Text View] - AVS Forum

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 2nd January 2009 at 02:05.
Old 4th January 2009, 18:45   #2318
BHPian

Finally have bought PV8 after loads of comparison between PV80, Sammy A410, A450, and LG 61. The PV8 was a clear winner in SD content. In HD sammy and PV8 almost scored same so finally decided on Pana for its amazing SD picture.

This is what I paid (this offer was from J D electronics chennai):
Down payment - 14580 Rs (1260 is processing and doc charges) I paid this on my card and he didnt take any processing fee for this.
EMI X 8 = 3333 Rs

This is in exchange of my 29 Onida. The person in charge, Vaibhav was very polite and professional. I have spoken to him about our forum and he said he will work out a good deal and let me know for our forum. Have informed him that we get PV8 for 48400 in Chellamani and 48000 from Devi electronics.

Once I get the details I will post the exclusive offer from J D Electronics. Also good news is he said he can deliver anywhere in India. So, the price will not be just for Chennai. So far my experience with them has been very very polite and professional when compared to Jayam, Chellamani, Vasant and et all.

Will update as soon as I get the list.

My TV should be home by Wednesday.
Old 4th January 2009, 19:40   #2319
BHPian

New rock bottom price for PV8

This is J D Electronics price for PV8 for our forum members, quote I got my J D electronics:

"Panasonic Plasma 42PV8 can be offered to all forum members at a special price of Rs.45,500/-. Deliveries can be made to any major city in India."

Pana LCD:

"Besides we also have the Panasonic Viera 32LE8 LCD which is a silent killer. I can challenge this LCD is superior to any other LCD available in SONY/SAMSUNG/LG/SHARP.....etc. Its a HD Ready model with exceptional sharpness and white balance. This one can be offered at Rs.30,000/- Pan India."

Contact Vaibhav and tell you are part of Team BHP forum to get this price:

Vaibhav Sethia
JD Electronics
43/238 Kilpauk Garden Road,
Kilpauk, Chennai - 600010
Ph.044- 30582222/23/24

P.S: I am not commercially involved with J D Electronics. I just bought PV8 from them and spoke to them about our forum and got this deal for Hi Fi Forum and Team BHP. I don't gain anything from this, this is purely for benefits of our members.

P.S 2: If this pricing helped, wouldn't mind a thanks posted
Old 4th January 2009, 20:35   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haril View Post
Hi guys, I have been following this thread for quite sometime now and finally decided to reply. Firstly, thanks a ton to all of you for so much information which has made my choices narrow now. I have also finally boiled down to the PV80 or PV8.

But I was just wondering if the LG - Scarlet 42LG60FR would be a good choice since its Full HD. I know current DTH and cable signals are better off on a HD ready set rather than a Full HD set, but was wondering if it is worth paying around 12K extra for this Full HD LCD TV to be future proof since I know one day I will get a Blue Ray player and even now I can use upscaling DVD players.

How does the LG - Scarlet 42LG60FR compare with the PV80? If not the LG Scarlet, which other Full HD LCD is the closest in terms of PQ to the PV80 and is in the same price range as the scarlet?

Is it really worth getting a Full HD set instead of a HD Ready set and upscale your DVDs for now to 1080p and watch them or am I better off just getting the HD Ready PV80? Also, does anyone here have the latest prices for the PV8 and PV80 from Devi?

Thanks,
Hari
Specs on paper is nice to read and very convincing. But the reality is different (when I checked last). I was armed with all the numbers, mainly the latest USP being promoted -- number of pixels is double. But when I put the Samsung/LG full HD LCDs side-by-side with PV80, my eyes told something else. Even when I watched from 7' or so, Panny was way smooth for the rest.

(a) If your viewing distance is more than 7', for a 40" panel, human eye CANNOT see any visible difference between 720p or 1080p.

(b) If you are planning to use the panel as monitor, or play games from <6' then get a 1080p. You WILL see a difference.

(c) But if you get a full HD, dont brutalize it with the current bunch of signals. You will cry at the outcome. Think about a good upscaler. The best 1080p upscaler in sub 10k, is a DVD player (look at the irony) from Oppo. But if you want to scale your cable as well -- then we are talking about stream upscale which becomes as expensive as the panels. (DVDO scalers start from $1000).

(d) Good news is that the Panny's built in upscaler (aint no Faroudja there) does a pretty good job in making your 570x340 DivX or the cable look well laid out in ~1200x700

CONCLUSION: Currently Plasma is VFM when it comes to general purpose viewing.

Last edited by determinus : 4th January 2009 at 20:40.
Old 4th January 2009, 21:51   #2321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haril View Post
Also, does anyone here have the latest prices for the PV8 and PV80 from Devi?

Help!!

Thanks,
Hari
Devi : PV8 = 48000, PV80 = 54000
J D: PV8 = 45500, PV80 = They are working out the price for our forum. They will also deliver anywhere in India.
Old 4th January 2009, 22:01   #2322
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Devi : PV8 = 48000, PV80 = 54000
J D: PV8 = 45500, PV80 = They are working out the price for our forum.
What's the difference between PV8 & PV80. Tried the compare specs option, but couldn't really find any difference
Old 4th January 2009, 22:39   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
What's the difference between PV8 & PV80. Tried the compare specs option, but couldn't really find any difference
Very marginal difference:

1. PV80 has glossy panel and PV8 has matt panel. I preferred Matt because it wont reflect light.

2. PV80 has extra HDMI input in the front (PV80 3 HDMI and PV8 only 2)

3. PV80 has a SD Card slot extra (these days most of the DVD players have USB port so again this aint deal clincher)

4. PV80 has auto contrast

5. PV80 is supposed to be V-Real Pro but PV8 has V-real (I am not sure of this) which means PV80 has better PQ. Honestly, I couldnt see a difference in both HD and SD content when I did my side-by-side review/
Old 4th January 2009, 23:55   #2324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
5. PV80 is supposed to be V-Real Pro but PV8 has V-real (I am not sure of this) which means PV80 has better PQ. Honestly, I couldnt see a difference in both HD and SD content when I did my side-by-side review/
I couldn't either - they looked the same to me with different inputs. And to be frank, if I cannot spot the difference, the word "Pro" is of no value to me

On another note, the LG PG61 (42/50) looked pretty good to me too. I didn't get a chance to compare it with a PV8/80, but I did compare it to a PV70, the previous gen Panny plasma (also very well respected and liked). And it compared favourably. The LG somehow impressed me more. Oh, and it (the LG) looks really NICE!

At the moment, it's PG61 vs PV80 for me. Is there any appreciable price drop in the offing? I was disappointed to find out that the prices have reduced by just about 1k in the last 2 months. With the economic downturn, tax exemptions etc, I was hoping for something more :(
Old 5th January 2009, 10:11   #2325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post

At the moment, it's PG61 vs PV80 for me. Is there any appreciable price drop in the offing? I was disappointed to find out that the prices have reduced by just about 1k in the last 2 months. With the economic downturn, tax exemptions etc, I was hoping for something more :(
I did the PV8 vs Sammy A450 vs LG61 recently. This is my scorecard (from my scribble pad)

Parameter - LG - Sammy - Pana (scale of 1 to 10)

Design - 9.5 - 8 - 7

Sound - 9 - 8 - 7.5

HD PQ - 9 - 9 - 9 ( All std setting, Pana colours were natural and more pleasing after 20 mins of viewing)

SD PQ - 7 - 7 - 9.5 (Tata SKY - channels checked were HBO (Torque movie),Times Now (with news ticker), and Sun TV)

720p PQ - 9 - 9 - 9.5 (Irong Man on 720p .mkv format with DTS encoding played via my WD TV. Pana scored .5 more for the black and natural and smooth colours. BUT only a marginal bit)

Connectivity - 9 - 9 - 7 (Thats bcos i compred Pana PV8)

So all in all I was completly happy with PV8 bcos:
1. I have a HTS so sound not a problem
2. All the DVD players have usb port so USB/SD Card slot was never a reason to think different
3. Design - I liked the matt finish of PV8 as it didnt reflect light unlike LG and Sammy
4 PQ - THIS is what a TV is for not for audio etc, this Panny PV8 won without any contension
5 Price - I got LG61 for 50k, Sammy 450 for 50k, and Pana 39990 on exchange ( so simple maths)

Having said all this, all 3 TVs are great. You chose what your eye likes and you will not go wrong with either of the 3 TVs. For SD content my humble opinion is that Pana is undisputed king/queen

PV8 is now avialable for 45.5K at JD which is a steal!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks