Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2016, 15:39   #8251
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Dear all,

Any recommendations for 40 inch LED/LCD ?

I have only couple of main requirements:

1) The TV must have good sound quality. So that there is no need to put a sound bar.
2) Atleast 2 HDMI ports (1 for TATA sky and 1 for Chromecast). The more the better (I have a PS3 too which i use occasionally).

How about this model from Sony ? Any feedback?

https://www.flipkart.com/sony-101-6c...GGHHGYCQJFV1D7
Old 30th October 2016, 15:46   #8252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Dear all,

Any recommendations for 40 inch LED/LCD ?

I have only couple of main requirements:

1) The TV must have good sound quality. So that there is no need to put a sound bar.
2) Atleast 2 HDMI ports (1 for TATA sky and 1 for Chromecast). The more the better (I have a PS3 too which i use occasionally).

How about this model from Sony ? Any feedback?

https://www.flipkart.com/sony-101-6c...GGHHGYCQJFV1D7
I have bought the same Sony TV just a couple of weeks back - please have a look below at my posts regarding the mini-feedback for this model. I will recommend you this one. Any further question regarding this TV, let me know.

EDIT - I am not sure if you can get the delivered from flipkart to the location mentioned under your avtaar/username.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
So finally zeroed in for this model https://www.flipkart.com/sony-101-6c...SEH8VZGGHHGYCQ

Sony it is finally - Bravia 40" KVL562D Series.

Got it for 47K from offline store - Mittal Electronics, Pitampura, Delhi.

Initial quoted price was 52k but after a bit bargain and discounts the price dropped to 47k. Also a 10000mah sony power bank came as free gift.

Product is delievered today with installation pending for tomorrow. Already got the call of Sony personnel who was willing to come tonight only but I told him to come tomorrow evening.

This TV has all the features I was looking for - Smart TV facility, Built in woofer, power surge protector, 2016 introduced model.

I will share my detailed feedback once I start using it after the installation.
Quote:
Over two weeks since I am using this TV. And initial impressions are really good.

HD content quality is mind blowing and SD channels are good enough when routed through HDMI cables streamed using an HD box (Tata sky HD in my case).

My TV is SMART - it streams wi-fi content, mirrors my phone on the screen, has preinstalled apps - especially Youtube streaming is seamless. I am not much worried about more apps or their instalability as I can use any app via my android phone mirroring. Most important part is the picture quality, sound quality and internet connectivity. And with a mini subwoofer in this TV, sound quality is appreciable as well.

I will not suggest you to go for Android TV at this stage. They are still evolving and I would not want to replace my TV every 2-3 years) just like we have to replace our Android Smartphones due to their specification changes every year and new version rolling out and previous versions getting sluggish on old hardware. I am afraid if that happens to Android TVs as well.

In our family - it is minimum 10 years life that we expect from TV. Our first TV bought in 1986 lasted till 1996. We bought a 21" Colored Videocon CRT in 1996 that we phased out in 2006 (it is still in working condition). A Sony LCD came in 2006 which has ZERO breakdowns till date, still using, switched to different room. Now I have got this 40" Sony LED that I expect to use till 2026. The component quality of Sony is unmatched.

So it is very important to buy stuff that gives you maximum bang for you bucks. I will strongly recommend SONY!

Last edited by bluevolt : 30th October 2016 at 15:47.
Old 31st October 2016, 10:19   #8253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
@Ramsagar: you might have this TV for the next 10 years. How is Sony about providing updates to the Android system? What is the boot up time? What is the power consumption? Sony doesn't have any TV above 40" without Internet or android features.
Any brand where I can get a simple LED TV with no features other than large screen size and good sound.
My TV is connected to WiFi router(ACT Fibernet). Any Android updates, will get updated upon your request.
I've not calculated with a timer. Approximate time is within 60sec.
I'm not sure abt. power ratings.
Most products above 40" are considered premium, hence you get at least 1 app & default internet connect as part of the feature list. It is difficult to cater all sets of people for any brand.
I don't foresee any harm if you've any of these as features. Your PQ should remain same.

I would advise not buy any 4K products. It is too early expecting 4K channels. We could only see a handful of HD channels increasing. So I personal believe 4K is long way to go.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 31st October 2016 at 10:26.
Old 31st October 2016, 13:04   #8254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have bought the same Sony TV just a couple of weeks back - please have a look below at my posts regarding the mini-feedback for this model. I will recommend you this one. Any further question regarding this TV, let me know.

EDIT - I am not sure if you can get the delivered from flipkart to the location mentioned under your avtaar/username.
Thanks for your views Bluevolt.

How would you rate the Audio alone? Does it have good enough lows and highs and a good enough output clarity ? I am a big music fan (everything ranging from Hindi Ghazals to Bhangra to Rap and everything in between, and i prefer casting youtube music videos via Chromecast ).

P.S. I updated my location to my current one. Thanks for point it out.
Old 31st October 2016, 14:05   #8255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no such thing as an LCD TV with good sound. That is a sacrifice made to achieve the thin profiles. There is no place to even park an external bass unit as many CRTs used to have on top.
Old 31st October 2016, 16:37   #8256
BHPian

DCEite, an LED TV is the worst way to listen to music. I connect my TV to my AV receiver using toslink cable. For any content (movie or music) when I switch on the AV receiver a lot of sound not heard through the TV speaker comes to life. Clarity is also much better.

Buy a TV for its picture quality. If you want good sound invest separately for it. As Anup pointed out there just simply isn't any physical space for a large enough speaker, especially woofer, in modern flat panel TVs.
Old 31st October 2016, 21:35   #8257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your views Bluevolt.

How would you rate the Audio alone? Does it have good enough lows and highs and a good enough output clarity ? I am a big music fan (everything ranging from Hindi Ghazals to Bhangra to Rap and everything in between, and i prefer casting Youtube music videos via Chromecast ).

P.S. I updated my location to my current one. Thanks for point it out.
This TV has better sound as compared to all other competitor models. I checked most of the TVs in person before finalising this one. I am too a music fan and often mirror my android phone to play music from my phone. The sound quality is appreciable. Considering it has inbuilt woofer (at the back of the panel) and down-firing speakers, I am quite satisfied with it.

As everyone has pointed, you can always invest a bit in a good soundbar to satisfy your audiophile requirements.

I connect my 5.1 Samsung Home Theater when the audiophile in me wants even more punchier bass and surround sound vocals!
Old 8th November 2016, 12:43   #8258
BHPian

I am looking to upgrade from my old LCD projection tv to a 50-55" tv and I just recently started looking. I have never bought a full HD tv but there are many options today and honestly it is confusing to choose between full hd, UHD and 4K. The TV will be from HD movies are regular DTH. I am not interested in android Tvs

For reference -- I was checking out this model from LG, 55LH 600T which has a resolation of 1920x1080 and it was connected to a airtel DTH, I found the picture to be pixelated, on the hand I checked out a diff model, 49UH 770T, which had a resolution of 3840x2160, the picture here looked brilliant and didn't pixelate at all.

I have a few queries :
1. Is it advisable to buy a UHD or a 4k tv at the moment ? Or should I just buy a full HD tv ?
2. Will the picture quality from a DTH be more clear and sharp on a 2160p than a 1080p ?
3. Are there 2160p contents for download ?
Old 9th November 2016, 12:28   #8259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
I have a few queries :
1. Is it advisable to buy a UHD or a 4k tv at the moment ? Or should I just buy a full HD tv ?
2. Will the picture quality from a DTH be more clear and sharp on a 2160p than a 1080p ?
1. I don't think it makes sense to purchase a UHD or 4k TV at the moment since most of the content available now and in the near future will not be in UHD format.

2. I think the picture quality will be sharp on a 1080p TV again because the channels which stream SD content and are upscaled by the TV to 1080p look pixelated. The same content will look even more pixelated on 2160p TV/resolution.

3. I think there are some which you may download and this will keep increasing in the future. However, in Indian terms this will take years to be regular.

Another note would be to take a Non smart TV , especially if the price difference is too much between the 2 options
Old 11th November 2016, 19:43   #8260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to upgrade from my old LCD projection tv to a 50-55" tv and I just recently started looking. I have never bought a full HD tv but there are many options today and honestly it is confusing to choose between full hd, UHD and 4K. The TV will be from HD movies are regular DTH. I am not interested in android Tvs

For reference -- I was checking out this model from LG, 55LH 600T which has a resolation of 1920x1080 and it was connected to a airtel DTH, I found the picture to be pixelated, on the hand I checked out a diff model, 49UH 770T, which had a resolution of 3840x2160, the picture here looked brilliant and didn't pixelate at all.

I have a few queries :
UHD and 4K is the standard now, after 55 you will not like anything smaller.
I just bought OLED 55B6 and if you are a PQ enthusiast this is your ultimate buy on cheaper side, E6 on the top and if you are over the top buy G6.

Amazon Prime/Netflix and Blueray and HD content on PS4/Xbox etc are unimaginably great. New gen TVs have upscaling for HD content. If your viewing is SD content then No 4K does not make sense but for anything HD it is mind blowing good. There is huge selection of 4k (2160p) available in US and EU. I am not sure if Indian movies can be purchased on BD.
Old 13th November 2016, 22:38   #8261
ZMG
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I would like to give a feedback about Micromax LED tv that I had purchased in January 2016.

Since I have been using the TV for about 10 months, I thought it would be a good time to post a review.

The model that I have is this http://www.amazon.in/Micromax-inches...micromax+tv+43

I had got this TV for about 20 K during some sale from Amazon. I could have got it for 18K by using Citibank card, but I did not trust Micromax - Amazon partnership enough to pay up front.

We have 2 Sony LED Bravias EX 520 at home already ( 32 and 40 Inch), hence I would be comparing the TV with the same.

I am impressed with the picture quality, it feels very bright and good to see. If you are going to fret over the blacks, you should be looking some where else.
Apart from that, the TV does what it is meant to, and the viewing experience above average. I think it good value for money. However, only time can tell if it truly is value for money. If it lasts me 5 years, I will be very happy.

The sound of the TV is below average. A sound bar installation is recommended.

One disappointment with Micromax is the service. The guy who came to install the TV was a very young chap, and was handling things pretty rough and seemed uninterested to do his work. I tried giving a feedback to Micromax about the same, but Micromax does not have any portal to accept feedbacks.

All in all, a good buy for those looking to buy a budget television for general viewing purpose.
Old 13th November 2016, 23:33   #8262
Senior - BHPian

I have No plans to buy any TV but my cousin needs my opinion on Kodak TVs available at very attractive price.

Any opinion or first hand reviews.
Old 3rd December 2016, 14:29   #8263
rbp
BHPian

I am looking at a 65 inch TV.

Any feedback on the Leeco 65 inch TV? The price is 1.5 Lakhs on flipkart and thats my budget. Other brands are way more expensive.
Old 5th December 2016, 00:49   #8264
BHPian

What is the general opinion on Vu TV's?

I was looking into buying either the 65" curved model or the 65" flat model listed below:

1) TL65C1CUS - 65" Curved Luxury Series TV

2) LTDN65XT800XWAU3D - 65" Premium UHD Smart TV

in order to upgrade from my 4 year old 32" Samsung LED.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by pillainp : 5th December 2016 at 00:51.
Old 5th December 2016, 07:42   #8265
BHPian

Quote:

I have a few queries :
I was in similar confusion a couple of months back having owned a HD ready TV (720p) for 7 years, was looking out to buy a new TV.

4K vs 1080P was the biggest decision to make. I would recommend 4K if the size of the TV is 50 or more. 4K TVs are not just about the 4K, most 4K TVs support HDR which makes the difference when you are watching quality content.

We will keep TVs for atleast 5+ years and already 4K (with HDR) content is available in India via Netflix, YouTube, etc. (Amazon Prime Video service is around the corner and has good 4K content available already)

If you are going to watch regular TV with a lot of SD content, the experience might not be great. 4K on regular TV can take years however, with the 4K TVs coming in rapidly, it may transform sooner.

I have picked a Samsung UHD TV 50" (6 Series), let me know if you need any further info.

Most Viewed