Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2020, 08:55   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: 2.7 lakh dispute with Tata Cliq

The video doesn't reveal the sealed edges of the box even once. Then suddenly the repasted seal is revealed. This leads to some suspicion as stated by others.

This might lead to heart burn for the OP, but the video is not fool proof.

I recently purchased a laptop worth 80K from Amazon, the seal was intact. Not repasted as some people are saying, customs clearance guys open and repaste the seal.

I hope we get to the bottom of this soon.

Last edited by F150 : 19th November 2020 at 09:14.
F150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 10:08   #152
Senior - BHPian

What happens if one doesn't make unpacking videos but finds a dummy inside? What proof can he give? I have never made one so far, and I purchased a laptop on some 45k offer for my son, my single largest purchase online. I have also bought a few mobile phones, none exceeding 15k. All the other purchases over the years have not been expensive, and I only had to return a shirt once to Amazon because of small size, and bigger size was not available for exchange. Money was refunded promptly. I have dealt with only Amazon and Flipkart till date.

Is our word good enough or should we make the delivery guy wait while we open and check the package? Sometimes it is delivered when we are not home, and our parents collect it.
Old 19th November 2020, 10:15   #153
BHPian

I guess we have unlocked a new case here, DELHIVERY, I thought my experience with Delhivery was one off, but seeing so many BHPians share their expereince with Delhivery's services, maybe it deserves a separate thread.

My One Plus accessory from Mumbai took 7 days to reach me in Bangalore, heck even the Udyan Express takes a day or two to reach Bangalore, I was aghast that a courier company in 2020 works this slow and the icing on the cake was the product was damaged when I unpacked it. I had to go to the One Plus service center and spend another 3hrs to get a replacement product.

Ordered a number plate from Orbiz last Saturday, guess what it is Delhivery who is going to deliver the product and it's in Kozhikode for the past 3 days.
Old 19th November 2020, 11:02   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Courier weight is volumetric weight not mass. It is calculated by length×breadth×height (in cms.) divided by 4750 or 5000 or 5500 (decided by individual courier comanies). In inch it is l×b×h/ 300 or 305 or 310 (decided by individual courier companies).

This variable is because of mode of transport and transfer time. For faster shipment through air these can drop to 4000 for certain courier companies. There is too much variance in courier charges due to many factors. It will take a long post.

So a 38cms ×30cms ×7.5cms box(I am just assuming, I do not have exact dimensions) will weigh around 1.9 kgs in courier weight.

Can you please verify this because my understanding is as follows:-

Chargeable weight of a cargo is calculated as the actual weight or dimensional/volumetric weight, which ever is larger.

I am guessing that this like this so that they can properly bill someone trying to ship 1 cubic feet of Lead and 1 cubic feet of Cotton.

Also from my understanding AWB ( Air Way Bill ) and Bill of Lading usually specify actual weight and dimensions.

This I am guessing is to make sure that the declaration on the contents can be verified. I mean if someone declares a consignment as Apples but it has the actual weight to volume ratio of Gold it will raise suspicions.

I am asking this just to get some information and to rectify my understanding if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th November 2020, 11:12   #155
Senior - BHPian

You wont believe but I'd asked a freight forwarder the same question, once. He had said, 'they will lift any weight - that's not any problem'. But they will bill me on volume only
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
I am guessing that this like this so that they can properly bill someone trying to ship 1 cubic feet of Lead and 1 cubic feet of Cotton.
Old 19th November 2020, 11:21   #156
BHPian

As others have pointed out, there are inconsistencies in the evidence. Who knows what duration has elapsed between the two parts of the video? If at all, this case goes to trial and forensics find that there is more than a few minutes gap between taking of the two videos, then there will not be any support to the claimant. Given that outer tape is intact and the video stopped exactly at the inner box, doubts can be raised about the truth of this whole claim. Moreover, if it has to be found that this is a manipulated claim by customer, then Tata Cliq can file a defamation suit against the customer and claim many times more than Rs.2.7 lakhs as damages.
I would advice the O.P to review his claim and proceed cautiously only if he can stand by his claim with all the required proof.
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 12:15   #157
BHPian

I hope Vikalp gets this sorted out and either gets his refund or the originally ordered laptop. I can understand the frustration that he is going through. I don't have any thing to doubt the intentions of the OP in this matter.

I like to go the tried and tested way and stick to one vendor who has excelled. There might be deep discounts with the competition but customer care service delivery commitment and a reputation is very important for me more than the discounts. Hence I have stuck with Amazon for my online purchases after having few bad experiences with flipkart and Snapdeal. I have not ordered anything from Tata Cliq.

In E commerce there are too many options it is very important to asses analyse and go with the best.
Old 19th November 2020, 13:01   #158
BHPian

Courier is a complex business because of the companies. As user The Mechanic asked would they charge same for lead and cotton? That depends whether you have a business contract with the courier company or not. If you are a walk in customer, companies will charge it at a minimum cost of 5-7kg of volumetric weight. Documents are not charged by volumetric weight but by simple weight and most of the time multiplied by distance. The distance measured in courier companies is by regions. For comfort they have divided India into 6-15 regions(each courier company has divided as per their choice) and rates differ if one is sending anything within region or to different region. North east deliveries are charged at premium.

But if you are a walk in customer for A.C , fridge, tv or any such bulky items, the walk in customer will also be charged as per volumetric weight. But as a walk in customer if you send a laptop you will be charged rs 300/kg. For courier companies individual customers sans documents are a liability just like banks where deposits are considered liability. Plus many related charges are also added which further increases the bill.

Then there is Return to order (RTO) charges, known in simple language as product return. They are also charged as per contract, 50% - 75% of the original charges. Courier companies are mandated to attempt a minimum 3 times to deliver a product and then only an item is marked RTO. COD is another game. Courier companies charge cash handling charges from the supplier which is also per individual contract. There are many variables and as a business you can negotiate the terms as per your need. Couriers only deliver by Pin codes and not by cities or villages. Even in same vilage, town or city a courier company may not deliver to all Pin Codes.

Some ecom companies also give different colour tapes to every region so that they can find out where the tampering happened. Every courier hub is mandated to have cctv cameras installed. High value items like electronics are kept seperately.

For reference, I am attaching rates of two different companies without names.
Attached Thumbnails
2.7 lakh dispute with Tata Cliq-screenshot_20201119120301_gmail.jpg  

2.7 lakh dispute with Tata Cliq-20201119_121851.jpg  

Last edited by Sran : 19th November 2020 at 13:09. Reason: A sentence was edited for information.
Sran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 13:19   #159
BHPian

The thing in business is The Customer is the King. Always. No company is bigger than the customer whether it is Tata Cliq or Apple. If a customer is complaining about something, the company has to take notice & go to any length to resolve it. Even if they suspect foul play by the customer, it is their duty to investigate using all the means they have and not simply brush off the issue. Sometimes the company may not be able to get the truth in which case it has to believe the customer.

For example, I had ordered 3 clothes from AJIO for the first time as they had discount coupons for new users. When I received the package, I found only 2 items in it whereas the package had bills pasted on it for all 3 items. I contacted them & they asked if the package was tampered with which was not. They said they have checked all their cameras at their facility & couldn't find any mistake on their part. Since the item value was in hundreds, I had kept quiet but I was taken aback by their reply & I vowed not to shop with them again. But to my surprise, after a few days, they refunded the amount! Now that's how you win a lost customer!

I think online companies need to find better ways to make sure nobody tampers with the package. And many of the questions asked by different members are irrelevant like why was the package opened after so many days of delivery, why is there a cut in the video, etc. One can open the package on any day provided he raises the issue within the specified return window. As far as the video is concerned, at least he has made a video. What If there was no video? In my opinion, any person with an intent to commit fraud would take the easiest route not some long uncertain legal process to con a company. Let the authorities thoroughly investigate & let the guilty be punished.
CarNerd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 13:40   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Courier is a complex business because of the companies. As user The Mechanic asked would they charge same for lead and cotton? That depends whether you have a business contract with the courier company or not. If you are a walk in customer, companies will charge it at a minimum cost of 5-7kg of volumetric weight. Documents are not charged by volumetric weight but by simple weight and most of the time multiplied by distance.
Thank you for the reply.

May I get an opinion on the second part of my previous post too.

Specifically what weight is specified on the packaging. Also if it is volumetric weight will it have any effect on declaration of contents.

Quote:

Also from my understanding AWB ( Air Way Bill ) and Bill of Lading usually specify actual weight and dimensions.

This I am guessing is to make sure that the declaration on the contents can be verified. I mean if someone declares a consignment as Apples but it has the actual weight to volume ratio of Gold it will raise suspicions.

Sorry for pestering you again .

Thank you in advance
Old 19th November 2020, 20:08   #161
BHPian

I will try to put both sides of the story as per what I think based on the videos.

Before that, since OP has decided to ask for help on this forum, he should not take things personally and understand that we members should also feel free to ask him for more information or questions as needed so we ourselves are convinced that we are helping a genuine cause here and not becoming an accomplice.

Going by the videos, they don't seem authentic. May be OP just got unlucky about what happened in the videos.

On the other side (in favor of OP), someone going to the extent of filing so many complaints etc knowing the risk in case his claims turn out to be a fraud he was trying to pull off, also doesn't make sense to me. So I feel he may have a genuine case.

I have some observations on the videos though and sharing them as is what came to my mind after going through all these posts and videos :

1) As other members have pointed, some things definitely look out of place like before we have the shake at @ 4:42 to 4:43 in the first video, the box is placed on the table in such a position that the unsealed tape is not shown and the top cover of the box is also not shown before in the video before this moment. Only after this, we have that loose sealed tape shown towards the end and then the video ends. The box definitely looks tampered with already as it is not tightly packed etc.

2) In the Audio of the videos which is shared through Google Drive, I find him answering someone "Khol raha hu" in a manner which doesn't show excitement or nervousness of opening something you had been waiting for etc.

3) The focus on the tape in the beginning on the 2nd video looks rehearsed and not at all real. As OP is claiming, he got suspicious of the tape and may be that's why he focussed on it.

4) Can we have the pics also which OP said he clicked between the two videos ? May be they also help to strengthen his case ? He should have some data to share what happened in those 25 minutes between the videos.

5) Since we now have his answer on the gap between the two videos (after many members questioned him), why he had himself not mentioned it in the first place ?

6) Any reason for 3-4 days gap between receiving the item and unboxing video ?

7) Even if assuming the cold reaction after receiving the shock is real, I find it hard to believe that not even a single word is uttered and the bang/closing lid the old laptop to show frustration looks artificial.

8) As someone has asked, why someone will try to send an old laptop and take the pain of doing all that in the first place and not send it just empty, a brick, junk etc ?

I am listing all this to help OP so that he can expect what all may be questioned and has information to defend all this. Overall, given the quality of the forum members, I believe OP has a genuine case and I think cracking such cases shouldn't be a big deal either for police, companies these days as this will definitely not the first case for them.

Sooner or later truth will prevail. Wishing all the best to OP and hopefully he will get his money or the product back soon.
viscosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 20:41   #162

Very sad to see this. I hope justice is served soon.

I have heard of few frauds done by some buyers who make a purchase, change the parts and return. If proper checking is not done by collector, they just ship the product if someone else books it. There are cases where new buyer will not even realize that a part has been changed.

This case looks different though. Someone had just packed it so well just to make it look like a factory piece.

Even though it could be a fraud seller Tata Cliq should take this seriously and solve the problem.

Similar frauds can be seen in Tamil movie: Kannum Kannum Kollaiyadithaal (Kanulu Kanulanu Dochayante - telugu dubbed). Movies also teach people how to commit such frauds
achagamreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 21:27   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Look, we need to address the issue here. Is the system broken? Yes. It is open to manipulation. So the biggies should find a solution around this. Maybe they need to have guys on the rolls to deliver high value packages, I don't now. Right now my trust, as a consumer, is shaken.
Yes, I agree that trust is important and it is mutual because unfortunately such customers exist who do the fraud. Strong policies already exist in big companies to support customers in such mishappening and TataCliq should be able to utilize them. As this manipulation is caught in time by the OP, I hope he gets good support and the case is covered by the shipment insurance.
agelesstravelle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 22:17   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the reply.

May I get an opinion on the second part of my previous post too.

Specifically what weight is specified on the packaging. Also if it is volumetric weight will it have any effect on declaration of contents.

Sorry for pestering you again .

Thank you in advance
Products are screened at every starting hub and at airports if it is through air cargo. Even metal detectors are used. If the screener is not working due to some reason then package is stored till screener starts working. Plus products are insured. If you declare that it is fruits but there is gold what happens if the package is lost? You will not be able to claim insurance and will lose money.

When a manufacturing company packages an item the weight on package is gross or net weight of the product. On courier company sticker the weight mentioned is always volumetric weight. Dimensions mentioned on packages are for cargo management. When sending packages from one hub to another hub the dimensions are fed into system manually or by barcode and the software shows the available space in vehicles present. Every cubic inch is important. That is why you will sometime see your product in opposite direction even if shipped from next state.
Old 20th November 2020, 06:55   #165
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: This topic has been discussed enough. Closing thread.

@ Vikalp: When you have updates to share, please report this post and mention the update. We will put it up here.

Thank you.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks