Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 23:31   #1186
BHPian

Bought a 20 liter convection-grill microwave from godrej. it has 40 instacook menu alongwith 6 power level for rs 6.5k after exchanging the 10year old solo microwave for a mere 500 rs. build quality is not top notch. but has 3 year warranty on the magnetron. also has rotary and push button type controls instead of membrane keypad - supposed to last longer. but the gripe is the voltage in my locality in the evening is on the lower side -180-190v -and the mw does not heat at all in that voltage range whereas my 10 year old oven did that with a smile.
Old 15th August 2010, 23:50   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
No denying that. There are so many examples I could quote. Cutting corners has taken a toll on appliances' life.
Not just that but many things are also deliberately built not to last too long.

As alert customers, it should be a priority for us to at least try and identify products and companies that make more durable products. Thats what I try to do before buying any product.

Unfortunately most/many customers of today themselves don't expect things to last too long and also think it quite normal if something requires "service"...

@archat, how come you ended up buying a Godrej when you yourself realized that the build quality isn't top notch?

Last edited by Raccoon : 15th August 2010 at 23:52.
Old 16th August 2010, 10:20   #1188
BHPian

Hi all,
I'm planning to purchase a 3 burner Auto gas stove. Please suggest me good options. I hear Prestige products and services are pathetic?

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 16th August 2010, 10:53   #1189
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi all,
I'm planning to purchase a 3 burner Auto gas stove. Please suggest me good options. I hear Prestige products and services are pathetic?

Thanks,
Ramki
I have a Pigeon 3 burner Automatic Gas Stove which I have been using for 5 years without any problems whatsoever. Was using it for LPG most of these years, but just recently had it converted for CNG use. I am not sure but I think I paid 2000-2500 for it 5 years back. I haven't had to call them ever, so I have no idea how their after sales service is.

Last edited by carboy : 16th August 2010 at 11:07.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:00   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Atleast here in Chennai, they aren't to be described as pathetic, but kind of OK. You can try Butterfly from Gandhimathi appliances. In our 7+ years of experience, they take about 24 hours to come to your place for service, but a single call is sufficient & they charge Rs 50 for house visit + materials. We'd to call only 2 times in a span of 7+ years.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:32   #1191
BHPian

Thanks. How about Pigeon and Butterfly after sales services and products in Bangalore as i live here.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:53   #1192
BANNED

What? Service? For LPG stoves??

You guys are crazy.

My choice - ordinary LPG stove (less than 1K), with a gas lighter (around INR 100).

Problem comes usually with the lighter; if problems come, buy a new one - the lighter, that is. ;-)

Stoves are replaced 4 to 5 years.

Though I would like to get 3/ 4 burner stoves / (hobs, I believe, is the right name) I have no say in this matter.

Ladies of the household are strictly against automatic stoves - the logic is - what if the knob is turned on and the burner does not light up?
Old 16th August 2010, 12:02   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

You guys are crazy.
; right but for DIYers these are nothing, all we've to do is disconnect & check for any carbon desposits on the burner & clean. But some people still prefer authorized service personel that gives confidence. When I want to give a try, my Mother fights with me saying its not easy as meddling with motorcycles & cars & asks me to stay away from kitchen

Quote:
Ladies of the household are strictly against automatic stoves - the logic is - what if the knob is turned on and the burner does not light up?
+1; agree strongly. Not only that, we'd a imported one back at our home town (not sure about the make, but some reputed brand) & the automatic conked off after couple of years & they've started using lighter since then.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:08   #1194
BANNED

Quote:

You guys are crazy.

My choice - ordinary LPG stove (less than 1K), with a gas lighter (around INR 100).

Problem comes usually with the lighter; if problems come, buy a new one - the lighter, that is. ;-)

Stoves are replaced 4 to 5 years.
I agree that one shouldn't be too bothered about after sales service while buying stoves. Every mechanic on the road can repair them.

Quote:
Though I would like to get 3/ 4 burner stoves / (hobs, I believe, is the right name) I have no say in this matter.
I have a 3 burner automatic stove, which isn't a hob - looks like a regular gas stove

Quote:
Same as when your external lighter doesn't work.
You turn off the stove, get a matchstick, light it & then call the service guy at your convinience.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:27   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Did anybody get a "bottom freezer" fridge of late? Which brand do you recommend? I found only Hitachi and Panasonic brands so far of that type.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:40   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Did anybody get a "bottom freezer" fridge of late? Which brand do you recommend? I found only Hitachi and Panasonic brands so far of that type.
Well I've seen a beautiful one in Haier; I mean beautiful in terms of utilities & usefulness. But I was so skeptical about the brand as well as service. They've one with bottom freezer. Actually its a great idea to put the freezer in bottom so that we don't need to bend down each time we pull/put things out/in from the refregirator.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:48   #1197
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well I've seen a beautiful one in Haier; I mean beautiful in terms of utilities & usefulness. But I was so skeptical about the brand as well as service. They've one with bottom freezer. Actually its a great idea to put the freezer in bottom so that we don't need to bend down each time we pull/put things out/in from the refregirator.
Avoid Haeir - their after sales service is like that of a government company.

I have a fridge & a dryer from Haier. The products themselves are OK (5 years old now), but the A S S is not good.
Old 16th August 2010, 14:50   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks,
Ramki
We have been using prestige 3 burner model since last 5.5 years. Required servicing only once. One of the burner's nozzle was blocked. The guy came within 2-3 days and charged me Rs 50 only. Best thing was he actually demonstrated me the process of how to clean the nozzle myself.

Note: As long as you are careful enough to not to spill food on the stove, there is hardly anything that will require servicing.

Quote:
I have samsung. 360lts. However, I feel panasonic/hitachi are more vfm.

Regards,

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 16th August 2010 at 14:52.
Old 17th August 2010, 00:11   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Hitachi and it is serving me well. All of their models come with bottom freezer.
Old 17th August 2010, 10:08   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Me too, have a Hitachi and its problem free.

I intended to go for a Panasonic, but happened to get my hands on the Hitachi.

I think Whirlpool has also come out with Proton series refrigerators where they have a vegetable rack at the bottom. Dont know the logic of putting the most used part of the fridge at the bottom where the bending over becomes a pain. Most odd looking fridge I must say.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks