Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2012, 14:02   #3181
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Have you eaten the results? Cooked between two hot plates, with the butter on the outside, the result is a sort of fried sandwich. If you have tried it, and do like it, then, yes, you need to get a sandwich maker.
Wife has eaten it & likes it & wants it. I was wondering what's the difference between the makers (ranging from 800 to 4000-5000)
Old 21st October 2012, 14:57   #3182
Distinguished - BHPian

Say no more! You do need to get one, and, if I were you, I'd let her chose!

Size is going to be one consideration. Some will handle one sandwich at a time, some will handle two, and maybe more. Maybe some do more than just make the usual sandwich; I don't know.

I had one about twenty years ago, and used it for hot snacks during a period of not having a working kitchen. I soon got fed up with its "product," but maybe I just ate too many.

Have you had a look in the stores? Getting the hands-on quality appraisal, and sneaking a look at the product manuals?
Old 21st October 2012, 17:04   #3183
BHPian

Any good quality bread makers available in the market?
Old 21st October 2012, 18:27   #3184
BANNED

@maverhick; considering breadmaking takes about 12 hours how many cities in India have continuous power for that long on a regular basis?
Old 21st October 2012, 21:13   #3185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@maverhick; considering breadmaking takes about 12 hours how many cities in India have continuous power for that long on a regular basis?
Maverick is in Bombay. In most parts of Bombay, we have 12 months of continuous power.
Old 21st October 2012, 22:34   #3186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Wife has eaten it & likes it & wants it. I was wondering what's the difference between the makers (ranging from 800 to 4000-5000)
@carboy, we have a Philips grill sandwich maker and have been using it regularly for the last 2+ years.

If you have kid(s) at home, they will sure love the grilled sandwich(es).

If I remember right we paid between 1800-2000.
Old 22nd October 2012, 00:36   #3187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Is this a frost-free fridge or a conventional system that requires periodic defrosting?
Yet another interesting knowledge you have sir

We have the same problem with my conventional fridge. What would be the diagnosis then?
Old 22nd October 2012, 06:34   #3188
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yet another interesting knowledge you have sir

We have the same problem with my conventional fridge. What would be the diagnosis then?
What's the problem? If the problem is frosting, then I think it's not really a problem in a conventional fridge - it's expected. A conventional fridge is supposed to be defrosted at periodic intervals. SS-Traveller should confirm, coz I am not really an expert at this - saying this from memory - my parents had a conventional fridge 20 years back & it had to be defrosted regularly. It also a had a tray at the bottom - you had to put water in the tray if it got dry.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:26   #3189
Distinguished - BHPian

Following up on my earlier posts on left-handed/reversible door fridges, we found out yesterday that ALL Bosch fridges in India are reversible-door models. We liked one 404L model we found at Vijay Sales yesterday but chose to go for the Samsung shortlisted earlier because it's finish is much better with moulded door handles and it also offers adaptable freezer space (you can convert freezer to fridge if you need more space, or simple switch it off completely).

Samsung interestingly does not offer any schemes/discounts unlike other brands for Dassera. Never realised Samsung had become a premium brand- ruboff effect of the Galaxy I guess!!
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:31   #3190
BANNED

@noopster; I think more than the image is the simple supply - demand equation which decides the discounting policy. In any case when you amortise over the 10 year life of a white good the savings may look puny.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:55   #3191
Distinguished - BHPian

^^SG, I've worked in FMCG sales myself. Some brands do not discount period (except for standard dealer discounts). And the guy running the Samsung Plaza (comany exclusive outlet) told me that if any dealer (Croma, Vijay Sales guys) are found violating the company's discount policies by offering their own schemes, discounts etc., they will be terminated! Of course Pune is hardly a yardstick to generalise, but in general Samsung as a brand has come a long way is my point. When I was buying stuff for my first home 8 years ago, Samsung and LG were on par image-wise ("the Korean brands"). Now LG has slipped a far way down!
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:04   #3192
BANNED

@noopster; Over here the Samsung - LG scenario is the other way round. Now they are treated at par, and Samsung has suffered a lot since they outsourced service. On the other hand LG in Kanpur has their own and excellent service. The Samsung concessionaire has a terrible reputation.
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:14   #3193
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ True- I have heard awful things about Samsung service when it comes to their phones, at least. Something to consider, surely.
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:20   #3194
BHPian

Need some valuable input please - had an IFB 7 KG Digital washing machine and it conked off recently ( not that it was working perfectly fine earlier too ). It is just 4+ years old but we do not have any thought of fixing it as we have had enough of their service already - it is next to HELL with this washing machine.

Now, we are looking for a new one and I actually narrowed it down to the new Samsung or LG direct drive front loading but my wife is more inclined towards Top loading as she thinks what is the use of investing ~ 40K when we can still buy a top loading for half the price and atleast take it lite when it conks off may be 4 years later or even sooner. Understand there are disadvantages like a bit inferior wash quality, no heater ( whirlpool is the only one we saw having it but not sure how effective it is...),etc but still it made me think. Any major concerns I should be thinking of with the top loading w/m ? Any latest ones which anyone thinks has better review...please advise. Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:51   #3195
BANNED

I have been using a front loader since about 1982. I have an LG DD at present. The previous LG gave us 8+ years.

Most Viewed