Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 14:49   #3586
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Thanks for the input, BTW what does the combo exactly mean? Which model have you bought and what other better models you recommend?
Combo - Microwave + Grill + Oven

I prefer LG since it has an Infrared Grill - instant heating. I think Panasonic may also have this.

My Micro + Grill is over a decade old, still going great guns, so the model no is irrelevant (must be obsolete).

For my son I bought the cheapest three way - no charcoal griller, rotisserie, etc. This was in Udupi / Manipal for about Rs.13.5k or so.
Old 12th April 2013, 16:00   #3587
Distinguished - BHPian

Microwaves make lousy scrambled egg! Make it in a pan, and you'll never microwave it again.

Generally, and having used a microwave for several decades, I agree that most of the options are useless, and that simple functions and simple controls are the best.

Before spending your money on combination features (microwave+grill; microwave+convection-oven+grill) consider carefully whether or not you will ever use them. I have them, and never do! <Blush>

Having said that, the other side of the coin is that bringing a new tool into the kitchen, with new capabilities, might result in doing new stuff, so before making that decision, perhaps read up on some microwave cookery on the net: just because you have never baked or roasted before doesn't mean that you never will. If I did not have a stand-alone oven, then I would use the convection feature of my m'wave.
Old 12th April 2013, 16:14   #3588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need a microwave oven, I have shortlisted

http://www.flipkart.com/lg-mc-8082pr...uery=lg%208082

I am a complete noob in microwave cooking so please advice. The oven should have good ergonomics, I mean buikt-in menus. How usefule are they?
Like sgiitk already explained above, a combo microwave oven has 3 modes of operation:
1. microwave mode - for cooking food using microwave energy (rice, dal, sabji etc)
2. grill mode - for grilling items (non-veg, pizza etc) using a heating coil located on the roof of the cavity
3. convection mode - for baking (cakes, bread etc). It uses a blower which circulates hot air inside the cavity.

If you have ample space, I would advise you to buy a basic microwave oven and another separate OTG if you would be grilling and baking frequently. This solution may actually be more cost effective.

If you have limited space - go for combo (mw+grill+convection) if it suits your budget or else go for only mw+grill if you don't need the baking functionality.

Don't worry much about pre set menus. In fact, they are much more cumbersome to use and don't always give the best results. After using the appliance for a few days, the user automatically gets an idea about how much time is required for the different dishes to cook. A cook book is generally included with the appliance, which would also give you an idea of the same.

Finally, usage of the appliance depends on the individual user. If you like to experiment with new recipes, you will find the appliance very useful. If you don't have that kind of time or inclination, you would only be using this lovely appliance for reheating leftovers.

Decide the capacity based on the number of family members. For an average sized family of 4 members, 30L would be a good size.

Rohan
Old 12th April 2013, 16:40   #3589
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Finally, usage of the appliance depends on the individual user. If you like to experiment with new recipes, you will find the appliance very useful. If you don't have that kind of time or inclination, you would only be using this lovely appliance for reheating leftovers.
I have never known anyone who has any inclination(as in 'likes to cook') towards cooking use a microwave for cooking. Have you ever seen a cook in a cooking show use a microwave oven for cooking? Julia Childs didn't, Sara Moulton doesn't, Jamie Oliver doesn't. Unless it's a cooking show sponsored by a microwave oven maker, I don't expect to see it either.

I think it all boils down to space. If you have the need for a convection oven and you have the space for a separate oven, get a separate regular oven or a toaster oven. If you don't have the space for this, but need it get a microwave+convection. If you don't need convection, just get a good quality sub5000 Rs Microwave.

Last edited by carboy : 12th April 2013 at 16:42.
Old 12th April 2013, 17:01   #3590
NGM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have never known anyone who has any inclination(as in 'likes to cook') towards cooking use a microwave for cooking. Have you ever seen a cook in a cooking show use a microwave oven for cooking? Julia Childs didn't, Sara Moulton doesn't, Jamie Oliver doesn't. Unless it's a cooking show sponsored by a microwave oven maker, I don't expect to see it either.

I think it all boils down to space. If you have the need for a convection oven and you have the space for a separate oven, get a separate regular oven or a toaster oven. If you don't have the space for this, but need it get a microwave+convection. If you don't need convection, just get a good quality sub5000 Rs Microwave.
Agree to this point.For my first purchase i went for the one with all options and ended up using it only for heating.Now am looking to buy a new microwave and pretty clear with my requirements.Need a microwave with basic features(Rs5000) .which brand to go for?
Old 12th April 2013, 17:13   #3591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
CORRECT.
I have advised all my friends one simple thing:
Microwaves are used across the world only (practically) for one thing: heating/reheating.

And if we are indeed talking about reheating, the cooking LPG/NG is still cheaper than electricity.

I tell them to get an electric OTG if they indeed intend to bake/grill - in any case if they use the Microwave, they will use the inbuilt grill to cook food.
No point paying 25K for something that uses technology that can be had at 5K price levels!
Old 12th April 2013, 19:11   #3592
BHPian

Microwave oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
CORRECT.

Microwaves are used across the world only (practically) for one thing: heating/reheating.

That's quite a sweeping generalization! As I see it, it depends on evaluating what exactly one is trying to achieve, and use the best/most efficient tools for that purpose.

For example, I can't think of anything else I'd rather use if I needed to fix a quick corn-and-peas snack (starting from frozen). And it comes in quite handy as a supplementary tool too (e.g. some heart patients I know can't live without using a microwave to complete cooking their low-fat meal (fish, for example).

Quote:
And if we are indeed talking about reheating, the cooking LPG/NG is still cheaper than electricity.
Do you have any concrete data in support of this assertion?. I'd think it would be cheaper to use a microwave for reheating for the following reasons:

1. It doesn't spend much energy in heating the environment (utensils, air etc.), and is streets ahead compared to gas in this respect.

2. It takes less time.

3. One needs less pots/dishes for reheating + serving. Having to clean those extra things means extra cost to me!

As far as I'm concerned, nothing else even comes close to microwave for reheating food.

Last edited by meerkat : 12th April 2013 at 19:13.
Old 12th April 2013, 21:15   #3593
Senior - BHPian

My experience also tallies with others. Microwave is mostly used for reheating and defrosting. If you have the space, buy a basic microwave and a good OTG.

. A basic microwave for under 5K will be big enough to accommodate most of your vessels. Use it for reheating, defrosting and basic cooking.
. A good OTG is again under 6K. Grilling, baking and normal cooking is quite fast in an OTG.
. A Basic Microwave + OTG will be cheaper for the size and facilities, and then you have a redundancy. The only down side is the space required.

In my experience if you have a lot of liquid to heat up (Dal, Curry etc), gas beats microwave in time taken.
Old 12th April 2013, 22:15   #3594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
My experience also tallies with others. Microwave is mostly used for reheating and defrosting. If you have the space, buy a basic microwave and a good OTG.

In my experience if you have a lot of liquid to heat up (Dal, Curry etc), gas beats microwave in time taken.
while like most other people, agree with your first statement about using microwave only for reheating etc.

Your last statement does not seem correct. In my understanding, microwave heats fluids better and faster than solids. ie microwaves heat the water molecules (moisture) in food, this is what heats or cooks the entire volume of food. solids are not as quickly heated by mwave.
just put a glass of water in mwave it heats up in ~ 15 seconds, whereas on a gas it would take a couple of minutes.
But i feel the cooking is even and taste is better if cooked on gas compared to a microwave.
Old 13th April 2013, 00:14   #3595
Distinguished - BHPian

Woa! Don't limit the microwave. There are many cooking tasks it is really good for.
Old 13th April 2013, 00:54   #3596
BHPian

I make wonderful chicken wings and lovely carrot pineapple cakes in my microwave. I also use it for reheating. Theres plenty of other things i plan to do with my microwave so lets not limit its use.
Old 13th April 2013, 02:40   #3597
BHPian

Quote:
@carboy: Thanks, that did helped.

Thanks for the input, BTW what does the combo exactly mean? Which model have you bought and what other better models you recommend?
Here is my review for a microwave which i purchased 2/3 weeks ago. Link

So far i have tried making pizza & used it to reheat stuff.

I bought the convection as i want to try out chicken grill / barbecue options.

My suggestion: Take a bigger size one, not the costliest one.
Old 13th April 2013, 13:42   #3598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
while like most other people, agree with your first statement about using microwave only for reheating etc.

Your last statement does not seem correct. In my understanding, microwave heats fluids better and faster than solids. ie microwaves heat the water molecules (moisture) in food, this is what heats or cooks the entire volume of food. solids are not as quickly heated by mwave.
just put a glass of water in mwave it heats up in ~ 15 seconds, whereas on a gas it would take a couple of minutes.
But i feel the cooking is even and taste is better if cooked on gas compared to a microwave.
I had categorically stated that for large quantities of liquid, Gas is faster. What I omitted was how much. In my case half liter is where gas starts being faster. We regularly heat up 1L of Dal or fish curry and it is faster in the gas. While microwave is fast for heating, my experience is that boiling liquids is faster on gas.
Old 13th April 2013, 17:18   #3599
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, will be considering everything that you have stated and then buy the oven, will update as I finalize the model. As for brand I think LG and Faber are good enough.
Old 15th April 2013, 09:50   #3600
BANNED

@Thad; I used pans for scrambled eggs for ages, then tried microwave and have been hooked ever since. Maybe something to do with the technique. Mix egg & milk and a dot of butter. Microwave for 1 minute. Then use a fork to mix it up, add a decent dab of butter. Then again for a minute and allow to cool for another minute. Again whisk a bit with a fork and you are done.

Why only Scrambled - no colour change is involved here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks