Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2013, 14:03   #3736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
I am not sure about the power saving part of the "step" regulators, but I am not happy with their non-linear power delivery. I have crabtree electronic step regulators at home, coupled with (mostly) Havells fans. The fans rotate really slow in Steps 1, 2 and then they really take-off in steps 3, 4. I don't see much difference in steps 3 and 4. All my regulators were manufactured may be 7...8yr ago.

Have these regulators improved recently, in terms of linear power delivery? If yes, I would replace them enmasse. I definitely need to.
I am comfortable at setting 2 with ac. Setting 3 without ac. 4 and 5 just rustle newspapers and books and make too much noise.

Fans consume 40 percent less power on speed 2 setting.or is it 35.not sure.

Another factor is voltage delivered. Two fans in the same room,same make,same regulator . One runs at speed 2 and the other at 3 for same performance. The one that runs on 2 gets supplied through an APC home UPS. I guess that gives proper voltage.

You could try replacing one of your regulators.

To be honest ive never bothered with linear power delivery as it has never been an issue. As far as i understand they're better than than the dimmer types and the older big ones in this regard

All regulators are of North West make.
Old 4th July 2013, 14:28   #3737
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

More info on Stepped fan regulator here
Old 4th July 2013, 14:42   #3738
BANNED

I see these with almost every modular switch manufacturer - these are 2W and are sometimes referred to as humless. I have had them on Prokon (which I no longer buy), and now have them on NorthWest.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:49   #3739
BHPian

Guys,
I am in the process of setting up my place in Pune ( giving up my bachelor's privileges on 29th this month ).
Looking out for home appliances to buy.

1. Washing machine.

Did my search here on team-bhp + some other sites around.

Brands : no personal preference as such, just focused on reliable product with good service reputation. still - LG, Godrej, Samsung - in that order.
Budget : 15K (+2K if it gives significant value addition)
Looking for : 6.X Kgs capacity, top load, does-the-job kind machine

My picks:
IFB AW60-205T @16K
+ IFB brand
+ has almost all functions that will serve us well
Godrej Gkitz Eon 650 PF @ 19K
+ Hot water in ( not sure how frequently this might be used - comments? )
+ some DAC+ tech
+ child lock / additional 3 wash types ( not really my preferences )
( not sure if this's worth the extra 4K)
Godrej GWF 650 FC@ 17K
+ seems like a basic workhorse
+ a friend has it ( says bought it at 15K), and says it is good enough.
Samsung WA82 BSLEC @15K
+ perfectly fits in price point
- no reviews.

Please note that - the prices are just taken off the net.
I am assuming there will be at least 1-2K price difference while buying from a dealer ( I mean - discounts )

Please help me with feedback on listed machines or similar priced machines.

2. Refrigerator

Brands : LG, Godrej, Samsung - in that order.
Budget : 15K~17K ( not sure if I would get something with my requirements closer to 15K
Looking for : minimum~200ltr capacity, double door (since there is going to be fish/meat storage too.)
* we will be using it among 2-3 people (max) So - not sure if we need 200L+ capacity - But, I guess nothing will be available in double door option with <200L capacity.

3. Gas Burner

No IDEA about this yet! But still -

Budget : 3~5K
Looking for : 2+1 burner layout should be fine, should be a SAFE & reliable brand.

Planning to buy this week.

Help, really needed!
Thanks!

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 8th July 2013 at 12:12.
Old 8th July 2013, 12:08   #3740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Guys,

1. Washing machine.
Budget : 15K (+2K if it gives significant value addition)
Looking for : 6.X Kgs capacity, top load, does-the-job kind machine
Godrej Gkitz Eon 650 PF @ 19K
+ Hot water in ( not sure how frequently this might be used - comments? )
Hot Water In - If it means you need to connect a tube for hot water in your machine, then I will stay away from it. But again, I am not sure if the budget you might get anything that has a heater inbuilt.

The prices of home appliances have generally gone up in the last 1 year.

Remember choosing the below model for a friend for around 15k last year
http://www.lg.com/in/washing-machine...ashing-machine

This was very good.

Quote:
2. Refrigerator

Brands : LG, Godrej, Samsung - in that order.
Budget : 15K~17K ( not sure if I would get something with my
Have you taken a look at Whirlpool? I am seriously impressed with all the machines that we have bought in the last 2 years for different people. Do take a look. Its more slightly more expensive than LG but totally worth it.

Quote:
3. Gas Burner

No IDEA about this yet! But still -

Budget : 3~5K
Looking for : 2+1 burner layout should be fine, SAFE & reliable brand - definitely.
Budget: Piegon (around 4k - very safe - good looking)
On the expensive side: Prestige (starts around 6k - again very good)

All of the above are personal experiences within the last 1 year as I was in the same boat as you
Old 8th July 2013, 12:15   #3741
Senior - BHPian

1. Washing machine. Go for front loading machines, they wash better and consume less water.

LG 5.5 kg model has one of the best warranties
http://www.lg.com/in/washing-machine...ashing-machine.

The front loading cost more but last at least 10 years and are fully automatic. I recently bought the 6kg model but that is 33k compared to ~ 22k for the 5.5 kg one.

The LG and Samsung machines are direct drive, while others are belt drive -> more vibration, shorter life, bigger size.

2. Refrigerator. LG 240L double door, may be within your budget.
http://www.lg.com/in/refrigerators/lg-GL-254VH3

3. Gas. If you do not want any fancy stuff, go to the Gas dealer. They have a range of inexpensive 2 burner stoves. As long as it is ISI it is fine. Desist from getting fancy "Hobs" as not only are they expensive but apart from aesthetics and multiple burner do not offer much VFM, unless you have a large family where 3 or four burners are used regularly.

Please visit a lot of dealers/show rooms before deciding. for my Wm I visited 3 show rooms within a km and the discount ranged from 2K to 6k on a 36k machine

In this depressed market, you should be able to get good discounts. In case you get the first two from LG, you can bargain for both as a package.
Old 8th July 2013, 12:19   #3742
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

The front loading cost more but last at least 10 years and are fully automatic.
Top loading ones are also fully automatic. And there is no reason they shouldn't last 10 years. My LG 6.5 kg top loader is around 8 years old now. And I think a top loader from LG 6+ kgs will fit his budget also.

Quote:
Looking for : minimum~200ltr capacity, double door (since there is going to be fish/meat storage too.)
* we will be using it among 2-3 people (max) So - not sure if we need 200L+ capacity - But, I guess nothing will be available in double door option with <200L capacity.
My advice is to go for 300+ litres. The price difference won't be much. And I am sure you will need it! 200L is very small for most people.

Last edited by carboy : 8th July 2013 at 12:24.
Old 8th July 2013, 12:27   #3743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Hot Water In - If it means you need to connect a tube for hot water in your machine, then I will stay away from it. But again, I am not sure if the budget you might get anything that has a heater inbuilt.

The prices of home appliances have generally gone up in the last 1 year.
Have you taken a look at Whirlpool? I am seriously impressed ..

Budget: Piegon (around 4k - very safe - good looking)
On the expensive side: Prestige (starts around 6k - again very good)

All of the above are personal experiences within the last 1 year as I was in the same boat as you
Hey!
Thank you for the feedback!
The "hot water thing" is actually a heater (inbuilt) which heats water for wash - but dismissed by my better half as good-to-have, not a must-have! (yay!)

Thanks for the suggestion on the machine! will definitely check it out and see it compared to the one suggested below by @Aroy

Will also check out the Pigeons!

Thanks a lot!

Quote:
1. Washing machine. Go for front loading machines, they wash better and consume less water.

LG 5.5 kg model has one of the best warranties
http://www.lg.com/in/washing-machine...ashing-machine.

The front loading cost more but last at least 10 years and are fully automatic. I recently bought the 6kg model but that is 33k compared to ~ 22k for the 5.5 kg one.

The LG and Samsung machines are direct drive, while others are belt drive -> more vibration, shorter life, bigger size.

3. Gas. If you do not want any fancy stuff, go to the Gas dealer. They have a range of inexpensive 2 burner stoves. As long as it is ISI it is fine. ..
Please visit a lot of dealers/show rooms before deciding. for my Wm I visited 3 show rooms within a km and the discount ranged from 2K to 6k on a 36k machine

In this depressed market, you should be able to get good discounts. ..
Aroy,

That's a lot of information and perfectly timed to help me research here ( on a beautiful Monday - where my boss is out of office )

I will definitely consider the front loader.

The double door looks good - and I think I will have to extend the budget here on the refrigerator.

I will make sure I visit the dealer - if the discounts are so awesome!

Thanks for all the tips!

REALLY appreciate the help and detailed views.
( missing the thanks button here! )

Cheers'

Ace.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
.. And there is no reason they shouldn't last 10 years. My LG 6.5 kg top loader is around 8 years old now. And I think a top loader from LG 6+ kgs will fit his budget also.
My advice is to go for 300+ litres. The price difference won't be much..
Thanks carboy!
I figure, I will have to extend my budget on either one of the products

@ Washing Machine - will get me a better technology/more frugal water/power consumption
@ Refrigerator - we will get more capacity - more space though, will mean considerably bigger bills - read somewhere, additional 50L in refrigerator translates to 60~100 extra units consumed per year!

Will definitely compare the Value-proposition with my high command and work it out.

Thanks for the prompt views!

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 8th July 2013 at 12:38.
Old 8th July 2013, 13:50   #3744
BHPian

Quote:
Hey!

I will definitely consider the front loader.

Ace.
The Front loader is great though expensive buddy - My LG 6.5 kg front load set me back by around 35k. I think the 5.5 starts around 24k.

Also an important point is the front load almost always seems to have lower 'volume' than the top load. Honestly - I have no idea how to check weights so I never know when my washing machine has 6k or 5 or 6.5 or 7 for that matter.
It is 'told' that front loads are generally better cleaners than top loads - though my view is indifferent on that. The front loads though are definitely more quieter than the top ones.

And I realise I have added quite a bit of confusion to your mind now -- but hey you have time to kill today - isn't it?
Old 8th July 2013, 14:12   #3745
BANNED

Just bought an LG GL-545GEX5 refrigerator (495 litre, Inverter, SS) from the LG shop for Rs.50,000 (web list 61,330). Ordered on Thursday evening, delivered on Friday afternoon. I checked with the Panasonic shop, he had nothing above 360L, and the Sharp guy still looked to be in the process of setting up shop. I have had LG refrigerators for over 13 years, so no issues there.
Old 8th July 2013, 14:30   #3746
Senior - BHPian

The modern day wash detergents are loaded with enzymes/process catalysts that work best when dissolved in water at temperatures ranging from 35 to 45 degree Celsius. This is the reason that WMs even in markets with ambients such as ours come with heaters.

As newer variants of detergents, brighteners & softeners come in this feature (heater) will become a necessity.

Quote:
Hey!
Thank you for the feedback!
The "hot water thing" is actually a heater (inbuilt) which heats water for wash - but dismissed by my better half as good-to-have, not a must-have! (yay!)
Old 8th July 2013, 14:43   #3747
BANNED

@driverace; afaik many top loaders do not have heaters while all front loaders do.
Old 8th July 2013, 15:03   #3748
BHPian

Quote:
how about this option -

Godrej -GFE 25 SMT3N @15.5K double door and ticks almost all boxes.

* Thoughts on double door please. Not sure whether I 'need' it if I am going to store fish/meat.
just thinking - because, If I look at single door ones - I can look across brands too!

I think - I am fine with 230L options in the refrigerator section.

@ the Washing machine -

many kind people here are talking about better/more efficient Front loaders ( Vs Top loader which I had in mind )

@Pratyush6, sgiitk & khoj,

My machine will be doing it's work in our dry balcony.
So - I was trying to go for a "rugged/tough" simple machine - just-do-the-job-well type.
& hence slightly more vibrations/noise shouldn't be a top concern for me.
But, better wash results is worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The modern day wash detergents are loaded with enzymes/process catalysts that work best when dissolved in water at temperatures ranging from 35 to 45 degree Celsius. This is the reason that WMs even in markets with ambients such as ours come with heaters.
(heater) will become a necessity.
hmmm..
That further makes me set to go to the dealer with my selections and bargain to get a final check on what final price-delta I am looking at If I consider the front loader Vs top loader.

@Pratyush6-
Yeah, like you said, it indeed pushes up the net figure considerably! ( and since you say you've been in my shoes - like a year back, I think you understand my position here! hehe. )
But, if the extra money spent is gaining serious merit - I will consider it. -- ( that means the TV buying is definitely post-poned Damnit )

Thank you all folks!
You all have made my search a lot easier!
Ace.

EDIT:

LG fully auto 6.2Kg @ 17.5K (at Reliance digital - meaning I will definitely get it around 15-16K at LG store - If coupled with Refrigerator)
Guys, this machine ^ has heated water inlets too!

Last edited by driverace : 8th July 2013 at 15:29.
Old 8th July 2013, 15:07   #3749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@driverace; afaik many top loaders do not have heaters while all front loaders do.
Sir, you are right, although there is one top loading model from Whirlpool which has heater element. Initially we had bought it , but finally after a goof up by the dealer, we settled for a LG Direct drive with a capacity of 6 Kgs.
The LG WM is just amazing to say the least although it is a bit pricey ( around INR 33K).
Old 8th July 2013, 15:53   #3750
BANNED

Quote:
Guys, this machine ^ has heated water inlets too!
Almost all WMs have heated water inlets. The question is who is going to heat the water going into the hot water inlet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks