Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2013, 12:42   #3796
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
What kind of maintenance it requires? And what is the schedule and cost of maintenance?
The Kent engineer said that AMC is generally not required as there is nothing to maintain on a regular basis, and all replacement parts are chargeable any way. In case you have lots of solids in the water then the particle filter will ge choked fast and you have to change it. Just call them once a year to check the filters and change them if they are clogged. A clogged filter will reduce the water flow so you will know when to change it.

The only problem with RO is that, a lot of water is poured down the drain (50%-200%) depending on salinity.
Old 20th July 2013, 12:50   #3797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The only problem with RO is that, a lot of water is poured down the drain (50%-200%) depending on salinity.
Yes, that is true. How do you utilise this water? Do you or it goes down the drain? The taste must be like bottled water? How much the filters cost...any idea?
Actually I am planning for an RO+UV, shifting from Philips UV filter. The iron & calcium contents feel high as we get those DARK BROWN/ RED stains on washroom floors. Also, we see WHITE deposits on wash basins and even on our water storage filter (where we store the water from the philips filter). Do you think we require RO on the basis of above? And which model you are using?

Thanks,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 20th July 2013 at 12:53.
Old 20th July 2013, 13:06   #3798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that is true. How do you utilise this water? Do you or it goes down the drain? The taste must be like bottled water? How much the filters cost...any idea?
Actually I am planning for an RO+UV, shifting from Philips UV filter. The iron & calcium contents feel high as we get those DARK BROWN/ RED stains on washroom floors. Also, we see WHITE deposits on wash basins and even on our water storage filter (where we store the water from the philips filter). Do you think we require RO on the basis of above? And which model you are using?

Thanks,
Saket
1. The water has high salt content. All the salt removed from the water is here. Hence this water will not be useful for anything (excepting cleaning the sewer lines)

2. Most of the potable water supplied by the municipalities contains medium to high content of iron and calcium. RO gets rid of most of it.

3. If you are using raw water (from river or well), or the supply has a lot of suspended particles, it is better to pre filter the water using appropriate filters so that the load on your system is reduced.

4. For treating the water for the whole house hold you need an industrial water treatment system which will have
. Ceramic filter (for low volume) or Sand filter (for high volume) for suspended particle
. Storage tank
. Clorine dosing system (optional)
. RO unit

Googling will give you a pointer to the Indian suppliers of such systems. The range of uses and sizes vary from small dispensaries/house holds to small village clusters in remote areas (5-10 house holds) to large hospitals. The volume of water varies from 100L/day to 500KL/day.
Old 20th July 2013, 13:29   #3799
Distinguished - BHPian

The Kent website is confusing & so looks the product line. It has listed many ROs filters within the same price range & similar features. Any recommendation guys? Open to other brands as well like Luminous, Electrolux, or others..

Thanks,
Saket
Old 20th July 2013, 14:29   #3800
Senior - BHPian

as of 2011, kent grand+ or pearl were the two systems to consider.
Old 20th July 2013, 14:46   #3801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Kent engineer said that AMC is generally not required as there is nothing to maintain on a regular basis, and all replacement parts are chargeable any way.
I'm a bit suspicious of this. A water purifying plant is only as good as its maintenance. The filters should be checked and cleaned at least three times a year. I haven't given any thought to comparison of AMC with ad hoc payment for this, but, one way or another, it should be done.

We have an AMC for our Zero-B unit. Originally it was with the company itself, but is now with the same engineer who has set up independently. Our AMC includes labour and parts. With failure of both the membrane and pump, along with corrosion damage to pressure swithces, we have had reason to be glad of this. Our water is not treated metro water; perhaps others may suffer less.

This maintenance is important for health. A couple of years ago I was able to advise an expat family, who, on coming to Chennai, suffered repeated stomach problems. They said they had an RO unit in their rented house, and they had not thought to be suspicious of it. Of course, there are many reasons for a foreign family to have tummy trouble on coming to an Indian city, but they did find that the problem declined after taking the advice to have their RO unit serviced.
Old 20th July 2013, 15:12   #3802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
as of 2011, kent grand+ or pearl were the two systems to consider.
Thanks PM, I see them on the website as of today as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm a bit suspicious of this. A water purifying plant is only as good as its maintenance. The filters should be checked and cleaned at least three times a year.
That is right. Will take a decision regarding the brand while keeping in mind this major factor too: Maintenance charges and availability of spares...oh, I mean replacement filters.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 20th July 2013, 16:12   #3803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Kent engineer said that AMC is generally not required as there is nothing to maintain on a regular basis, and all replacement parts are chargeable any way.
Sorry - that's incorrect. I don't know about others but Kent had some 'choke' and a couple of others parts go bad in the 15th month which were actually covered in the ~1.5k per year AMC. Honestly, I think this whole AMC business stinks - Kent's after sales is quite costly. We've hit 5k in three years of the 12k purchase.
Old 20th July 2013, 17:00   #3804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is right. Will take a decision regarding the brand while keeping in mind this major factor too: Maintenance charges and availability of spares...oh, I mean replacement filters.
filter cartridges are the routine stuff. They need to be cleaned far more often than they need to be replaced. This is like the annual service on your car. Other parts are not so much consumables, but they do fail, and they do have a finite lifetime. Why is an RO machine expensive? Because its main components, the RO membrane and high-pressure pump are expensive.

In the end it is all insurance. If there is no single part that would hurt your wallet very much, then there is no big risk in not having that insurance.
Old 20th July 2013, 17:37   #3805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sorry - that's incorrect. Kent's after sales is quite costly. We've hit 5k in three years of the 12k purchase.
Now that is scary. Anyone using other ROs like luminous, nasaka, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
filter cartridges are the routine stuff. They need to be cleaned far more often than they need to be replaced. This is like the annual service on your car. Other parts are not so much consumables, but they do fail, and they do have a finite lifetime. Why is an RO machine expensive? Because its main components, the RO membrane and high-pressure pump are expensive.

In the end it is all insurance. If there is no single part that would hurt your wallet very much, then there is no big risk in not having that insurance.
So at the end, its still not a no nonsense machine. I have been using a Philips UV filter which is quite good in the service aspect. Only a filter cartridge which needs replacement after 3000 litres. The cost of the filter is about Rs. 800/- AFAIR. For a small family like that of ours, it means at least 9-10 months. Also, it has a self-flush mode, to clean the insides.

But finally need an RO as the new flat that we have shifted in has higher calcium contents in water, as suggested by the white deposits left on utensils once the water dries up.
Old 27th July 2013, 21:40   #3806
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello folks,

Have ordered Kent Grand+ today for 15.5k. Will be installed tomorrow. The sales guy was pushing a pre-filter for additional 1.1k. Should I go for it? Or just a sales gimmick?

Thanks,
Saket
Old 28th July 2013, 10:06   #3807
Senior - BHPian

At one corner in our kitchen we have got arrangements for a washing machine - the plumbing and drainage is already in place.

There is a granite platform created on which we keep the microwave.
This platform is 35 inches off the floor. There are walls on three sides and the granite stone on top. Only the front section remains open.
There is space to keep a washing machine inside this 'box' that is created.

Questions about washing machines.
1. Is it true that we cannot add clothes later (say you forgot a few clothes) in front loading (FL) washing machines? Missus is ruling out FL's just based on this.

2. Are there any good top loaders (TL) which have got way to heat water (so as to give a better wash?)
3. Are there any trollies available with wheels for washing machines?

I have a space constraint - 35 (H) x 33 x 33 if I were to put a front loader below the platform. Note that this is not our cooking platform.
I am not sure if washing machines require ventilation on the top, btw.

If we buy a top loader, then we cannot put it below this granite platform, so it has to stay ahead of the granite platform, which is fine too.

Please suggest. Drying of clothes is quite important for us, but I am not willing to spend on a product such as LG washer dryer which has a starting price of 48K.

Last edited by S_U_N : 28th July 2013 at 10:09.
Old 28th July 2013, 11:05   #3808
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Questions about washing machines.
1. Is it true that we cannot add clothes later (say you forgot a few clothes) in front loading (FL) washing machines? Missus is ruling out FL's just based on this.
Yes, I think. You cannot open the door in a front loader once the cycle has started - otherwise all the water will come out.

Quote:

2. Are there any good top loaders (TL) which have got way to heat water (so as to give a better wash?)
There are 2 ways
- If you already have a boiler in the kitchen - it can be connected to the hot water inlet of the machine. My LG top loader has 2 inlets - hot and cold. I have left the hot inlet unconnected buy you can use that.
- Whirlpool (and may be others also) has a WM which has a built in heater.

Quote:

3. Are there any trollies available with wheels for washing machines?
Yeah. The guy who installs your WM will sell you one if you want. My WM is in the bathroom - the trolly lasted for around 3 odd years. In a drier environment, it will probably last more.
Quote:

I am not sure if washing machines require ventilation on the top, btw.
Don't think so.

Quote:
Drying of clothes is quite important for us, but I am not willing to spend on a product such as LG washer dryer which has a starting price of 48K.
You can buy a separate dryer later if you want - it starts from 15-20K.
Old 28th July 2013, 11:27   #3809
Senior - BHPian

In my LG 6kg WM that we bought in April, there is a provision for adding clothes after the cycle starts (forget how it is done).

A front loading machine does not use the top, hence it can be pushed into a recess.

Regard clothes dryer, get yourself a separate dryer as
. A separate dryer (+ WM) will be lower in cost to a combined WM Dryer
. Most of the dryers have approximately 1/2 the load capacity of WM
. A separate dryer gives you redundancy and you can use it simultaneously with your WM
. You can use the drier irrespective the type of WM - front or top loading.
Old 28th July 2013, 22:51   #3810
Senior - BHPian

Got a top-loader.
http://www.lg.com/in/washing-machine...ashing-machine

Will post review in a few days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks