Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2014, 00:51   #4801
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Thank you. A report like that really adds to the probability of buying the brand.

the old saying: Don't judge a company for making mistakes, but by it handles them.
Old 23rd November 2014, 05:36   #4802
Senior - BHPian

Which RO+UV Water purifier to buy

I have been using a Kent Grand RO + UV water purifier for the past 4 years.
It has been giving troubles once in a while - stops working completely and the issue always has been some loose contact. It stopped working yesterday and I saw water inside( above storage tank). I am thinking of buying a new one.
Which brand is recommended? I have heard that both Kent & Eureka Forbes service is not good. How is LG? I will not buy a Kent again.
Old 23rd November 2014, 06:39   #4803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I have been using a Kent Grand RO + UV water purifier for the past 4 years.
It has been giving troubles once in a while - stops working completely and the issue always has been some loose contact. It stopped working yesterday and I saw water inside( above storage tank). I am thinking of buying a new one.
Which brand is recommended? I have heard that both Kent & Eureka Forbes service is not good. How is LG? I will not buy a Kent again.
Water inside just means something is choked and the pipe just before that is giving up. Please investigate rather than give up an almost okay unit for 1000 worth of repairs.

If course, you know how often it is unreliable. That should help decide.

Don't buy the PureIT Ultima. It needs to be constantly on to give water and has a separate ugly Booster pump (if required), while Kent had it integrated.
Old 24th November 2014, 09:40   #4804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Water inside just means something is choked and the pipe just before that is giving up. Please investigate rather than give up an almost okay unit for 1000 worth of repairs.

If course, you know how often it is unreliable. That should help decide.

Don't buy the PureIT Ultima. It needs to be constantly on to give water and has a separate ugly Booster pump (if required), while Kent had it integrated.
The technician came yesterday and fixed the issue in 5 mins. The connector to the pump had blown off. Another one had blown few months back.

But the water leakage is serious. The pump has a leak and as per the technician it has to be replaced. Also, all the filters are due for replacement.

If I do the repair, it will cost 7 - 7.5 K and the only original things remaining would be the plastic shell

Hence, I will be replacing this. I will stay miles away from Kent.

What are the alternatives for RO purifiers? The TDS of the input water is between 700 - 1000.
Old 24th November 2014, 10:46   #4805
BHPian

Quote:
The technician came yesterday and fixed the issue in 5 mins. The connector to the pump had blown off. Another one had blown few months back.

But the water leakage is serious. The pump has a leak and as per the technician it has to be replaced. Also, all the filters are due for replacement.

If I do the repair, it will cost 7 - 7.5 K and the only original things remaining would be the plastic shell

What are the alternatives for RO purifiers? The TDS of the input water is between 700 - 1000.
For such a high TDS range of input water, I would recommend that you try LG. I stay in the firstfloor of a tower and water pressure is always a big problem. The other water purifier (Zero-B) that I had could not handle the pressure and used to continiously leak. I finally had to change and bought LG this time. There have been no issues what so ever for the last 6 months.
Old 24th November 2014, 11:29   #4806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
For such a high TDS range of input water, I would recommend that you try LG. I stay in the firstfloor of a tower and water pressure is always a big problem. The other water purifier (Zero-B) that I had could not handle the pressure and used to continiously leak. I finally had to change and bought LG this time. There have been no issues what so ever for the last 6 months.
I found LG to be very costly in their website - starting Rs 23,000/-. How much did you pay for your purifier? How frequently it has to be serviced ( filter change etc)?
Old 24th November 2014, 12:04   #4807
BHPian

Quote:
I found LG to be very costly in their website - starting Rs 23,000/-. How much did you pay for your purifier? How frequently it has to be serviced ( filter change etc)?
The Eureka, and the Pure it ones were available for around 20K. I got LG for 22K - Mrp was around 28.5 or something. They did the exchange of the current purifier as well. The servicing frequency recommended is thrice in a year. The LG Guys change filters etc as and when required. I am not sure about the frequency of the same. However the first service for my purifier was done only after 4 months or so. The output TDS was a consistent 6 through out the time. The input TDS at my place is around 100-120 range.

Another good feature that I liked in LG was that it circulates the entire water in the tank through the UV filter every 6 hours or so, ensuring that there is no deterioration in water quality. This feature is not available in any other water purifier.
Old 24th November 2014, 14:35   #4808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Buy something with local AMC to take care of this. These are commodity items - buy any one.

For leakage, is it because you're in a tower? make sure there's a pressure reduction valve, the kind which geysers use - ideally every house has one. For a low rise, make sure there's enough water head (pureIT needs a separate pump).
Old 24th November 2014, 14:43   #4809
Team-BHP Support

After visiting the market to explore new fridges in the 320L range or so, it was time to come down to Earth.
30,000rs is the approx price(start from 24K odd),

The worst part, it looks as if they want to cater to people who want huge freezers. I don't want a huge freezer. This means usable space is less than 300L fridges of old times.

Looked at single door also(less capacity, but more) but then 20K is the approx price.

Therefore, it was decided we will service our old fridge. The problem turned out be icing, partially due to incorrect slop of fridge.

Samsung service charged 280rs to fix this. In NCR now HCL takes care of servicing, and the service experience was very different from what we have seen with ACs 5 years back.

The fridge cools now perfectly, and 25K saved means a few trips .
Moreover, I have a feeling, that nowadays, the older the better. As we get more and more advanced tech like auto ice, auto this, auto that, auto cook, auto do homework, the focus on quality is dwindling.

So old fridge it is, till it completely gives up the ghost. I also paid attention to dismantling internal panels, so next time it happens(if it happens) we can do a DIY and clean the ice ourselves.
Old 24th November 2014, 15:03   #4810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
I live in a single-floor house, and have a booster pump so that we have some pressure at all for decent showers, etc. Too much pressure should certainly not be a problem! Our Zero-B has worked happily, with AMC, for some years now. It has its own valve to reduce pressure.

phamilyman is right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Buy something with local AMC to take care of this. These are commodity items - buy any one.

For leakage, is it because you're in a tower? make sure there's a pressure reduction valve, the kind which geysers use - ideally every house has one. For a low rise, make sure there's enough water head (pureIT needs a separate pump).
Water purifiers really must have AMC. They are as good as their last service. The filters in ours get a little less mucky now that I have a simple cotton-cylinder filter between the sump pump and the overhead tank, but that only covers stuff we can see!
Old 26th November 2014, 14:11   #4811
BHPian

Looking to replace 10 year old LG microwave with a new one. Can you please suggest the model to buy with the following requirements -
1) Budget below 20000/-
2) Convection with Grill
3) Capacity 20-30 ltrs.
Old 26th November 2014, 17:51   #4812
BHPian

Soundbar anyone?

I am not sure whether this is a right place to ask this question. But, I will anyway!

Do you have a soundbar at home? If yes, which one? what is your feedback about that product? What are the considerations I should have before I buy one?

My requirements are simple. I would like it to be portable, Bluetooth enabled and should have a distortion free sound (prefably around 20W+). I can shell out around 15K (+ 2K stretched). Main purpose is to listen to room-filling music and watch Movies.

I did some research and found following 3 products:
JBL OnBeat Venue LT: http://eu.jbl.com/jbl_product_detail...-venue-lt.html
Bose SoundLink III : http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...aker/index.jsp
and
Creative Roar: http://www.creative.com/roar/

Any idea which one is the best from Sound Quality and reliability standpoint?

I personally liked JBL one. But, still Bose and Creative ones are competitive as well.
Help
Old 26th November 2014, 19:18   #4813
BANNED

Looking for some information on a water softener for a 20 flat apartment. Any of you have experience in using this or have it installed in your apartments. Please let me know the pros and cons of having this. Thanks!!
Old 27th November 2014, 09:13   #4814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I am not sure whether this is a right place to ask this question. But, I will anyway!

I did some research and found following 3 products:
JBL OnBeat Venue LT: http://eu.jbl.com/jbl_product_detail...-venue-lt.html
Bose SoundLink III : http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...aker/index.jsp
and
Creative Roar: http://www.creative.com/roar/

I personally liked JBL one. But, still Bose and Creative ones are competitive as well.
Help

I have the Bose(earlier version) and it can't be beat. Amazing sound and this purchase made me go in for the Bose Cinemate for my living room. Both are purchases I'll never regret.
Old 27th November 2014, 09:36   #4815
Senior - BHPian

Re: Soundbar anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post

Help
I bought the Soundlink Mini a couple of months back. I mainly use it as speakers for my computer when I watch movies from it. It also serves as a speaker for my mobile when it plays for the house. It can also connect a mobile/mp3 player through an Aux-in.

The footprint is small but the sound is room-filling. It has good bass and warm sound typical of Bose.

My suggestion would be to go for the Mini instead of the full sized ones. It will cost you 16K I believe.

This a bluetooth speaker and not a sound bar. I don't think it will give you the intended effect if you are thinking of using it to replace the TV speakers with it. I have the Bose solo for it. A very good upgrade over the tinny speakers that these new age LEDs offer.

Hope it helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks