Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2008, 18:36   #166
BHPian

i'm planning to shift to a E90 from my current 9300i, but am wary about following issues (which i faced when i had an E61i in between; sold it in 2 weeks & got back to the 9300i):

1. Can you save images from the browser by pressing Shift + Click like the 9300i
2. Can you select text from the browser & Copy+Paste it?
3. Can you schedule SMS's like the 9300i (coz a friend could not find the said feature on his e90)
4. Suppose in the contact list i want to search multiple people by company name will it show all the options.
5. How is the Word & Excel compared to the 9300i (Not worried about powerpoint)
6. How is the Blackberry connect speed, is it fast enough? the 9300i processor is damn slow yaar.
7. Does the fax work fast? is the reception good?
8. how is the Ctrl C/V/X functionality comparable to the older S80 (9300i UI)
9. In the 9300i i can create multiple different phonebooks, how is it compatible in the E90 when i transfer data? Hope i dont lose my data.
10. How is the GPRS working?

Also what other improvement / changes have you noticed between the 9300i & the E90. wherever i go they have a dummy piece & not a working piece so i cannot use it and judge. As you guys have been using it for long, some more than a year need your input.

Guys please help me out as i want to get the E90 asap.

Thanx,
Anil
Old 1st September 2008, 18:59   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
1. Can you save images from the browser by pressing Shift + Click like the 9300i: NO. Not yet. When Opera 9.5 for Symbian is out, maybe.
2. Can you select text from the browser & Copy+Paste it? No. Not yet. When Opera 9.5 for Symbian is out, maybe.
3. Can you schedule SMS's like the 9300i (coz a friend could not find the said feature on his e90): Not out of the box. But there are 3rd party apps that will let you do this.
4. Suppose in the contact list i want to search multiple people by company name will it show all the options.: Nope. Not possible. But there is an excellent in-device search utility that will turn up occurrences of any given string in contacts, calendar, notes, etc etc.
5. How is the Word & Excel compared to the 9300i (Not worried about powerpoint): Faster for sure. I haven't used Series 80, so not sure how much better things are. But, there are no KB shortcuts.
6. How is the Blackberry connect speed, is it fast enough? the 9300i processor is damn slow yaar.: Those who have used it (I haven't) have goven good reviews (better than 9300i).
7. Does the fax work fast? is the reception good?: No fax. No more fax. You'll need to use Email.
8. how is the Ctrl C/V/X functionality comparable to the older S80 (9300i UI): Ctrl + Copy, Paste, Cut, etc work just like before (except in a browser).
9. In the 9300i i can create multiple different phonebooks, how is it compatible in the E90 when i transfer data? Hope i dont lose my data.: The E90 (S60 ver 3) does not support multiple phone books. There is just big set of contacts.
10. How is the GPRS working?: Fast enough (supported with EDGE). Way faster than the 9300i, reportedly.
Please see my replies in bold.

The E61i and the E90 run the same OS, Symbian S60. But the E90 has a slightly more recent version. The functionality is essentially the same. You get a better and faster set of hardware, though.

If you are a heavy user of the business functions of Symbian Series 80 (what the 9300i ran on), you will find a few features missing in the E90. But you get a much faster and better device that makes up for most shortcomngs. The resolution of the screen is better, and it is bigger too. You see more per screen.

Start using the E90, and in a while you will stop missing your 9300i. It will take a short while (to stop missing Series 80 features), but you will be happy. I've been using mine for more than a year now, and I'm not going to switch till they bring out the next Commy.

EDIT: Visit the S60 Commy forums at my-symbian.com. You'll find a lot of info on Series 80 (9300i) vs. S60 3rd Ed. (E90). Enough to help you decide.

Last edited by hydrashok : 1st September 2008 at 19:02.
Old 2nd September 2008, 08:34   #168
BHPian

@hydrashok
thanx a lot for your reply. you have given me a clear view & honest input & i've made up my mind now, i'll keep my 9300i, buy the e71 (19k's) which has more or less same features of the e90(34k's) & wait for the next gen commi coz i'm sure they will have to rectify these features if they want long term commi users to continue patronising the range. See i'm not a big fan of 3rd party apps for these missing but important functions & hope Nokia's listening. i just can't see myself spending 34k's++ & still not be totally convinced about the device.

thanx once again
Old 14th October 2008, 19:55   #169
BHPian

Hi Anil, I've bought an E90 as well with blackberry activated on it. Awesome phone, blackberry rocks, sometimes comes in to my phone before my email box.

As they say "I am loving it" - this is only because I had given up on Nokia with their N series excuse for phones (read more as software) but with the E90, Nokia has redeemed itself. Awesome phone, Great GPS performance (not A GPS which increases your internet bills but pure breed GPS tranceiver).

Office suite (for the nokia S60 series software) works great, can open any type of attachment, all of my contacts came into the E90 from the N series as well as the smses.

Media of all types came into the phone through data mover.

Sweet phone, good sound through the headphones, however for pure sound nothing beats a N91 (the hdd phone).

This is a business phone designed to make things easier for the executive on the move, it also features a fax over the internet & blackberry integrates very well into our enterprise outlook mail service.

Cheers great phone however a bit pricey.

Cheers
M
Old 29th October 2008, 18:03   #170
BHPian

Hi All,

I am getting my E90 tomorrow.

I looked up on google and it says the latest firmaware is v300.34.84 and is now available for download.

The phone I'm getting has 210.34.75.

I have used my 9500 extensively, still have it and love it. Have the 9210 series and they are still going strong in their own league.

Have been waiting to get my hands on this phone for a long time...
Old 29th October 2008, 18:15   #171
Senior - BHPian

Make sure you activate the 3 months free Navigation that is part of the package.
Old 29th October 2008, 20:27   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
I am getting my E90 tomorrow.

I looked up on google and it says the latest firmaware is v300.34.84 and is now available for download.

The phone I'm getting has 210.34.75....
Congrats, Inder! It really is a very nice phone. I generally upgrade every 9-10 months, but I've been sticking with mine for One year and 3 months now. And I still look at it with love I'll (most likely) upgrade only to the next Commy (whenever that will be).

Don't upgrade to FW v300.xx.xx as soon as you get the phone. Quite a few people who upgraded have had issues. For some the BB functionality has been killed altogether. The improvements mentioned are really not worth the risk (or effort of reloading all the apps).
Old 30th October 2008, 11:33   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Make sure you activate the 3 months free Navigation that is part of the package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Congrats, Inder! It really is a very nice phone. I generally upgrade every 9-10 months, but I've been sticking with mine for One year and 3 months now. And I still look at it with love I'll (most likely) upgrade only to the next Commy (whenever that will be).

Don't upgrade to FW v300.xx.xx as soon as you get the phone. Quite a few people who upgraded have had issues. For some the BB functionality has been killed altogether. The improvements mentioned are really not worth the risk (or effort of reloading all the apps).
Thanks esteem_lover and Hydrashock for the inputs.

Wanted to know some things like:

1. In my 9500 , I have a software called Advanced Call Manager , Very helpful to send automatic msg when you are in a meeting/vacation/travel etc.. do we have the same for E90?

2. I have iDesk application which is like the task manager for Windows , again a very helpful tool, is it there for E90?
Old 30th October 2008, 14:14   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to know some things like:

1. In my 9500 , I have a software called Advanced Call Manager , Very helpful to send automatic msg when you are in a meeting/vacation/travel etc.. do we have the same for E90?

2. I have iDesk application which is like the task manager for Windows , again a very helpful tool, is it there for E90?
1. Yep, Advanced Call Manager is available for the E90. It does not come built-in, but you can buy it from here: Advanced Call Manager - WebGate JSC. The complete and reliable call management application!
I run it on mine -- very useful to block out spammers (call center spam). It works as a built-in Answering Machine too.

2. Lots of task managers are available for Symbian. I use a somewhat basic one - Handy Taskman (All About Symbian - Software - Handy Taskman for S60). It manages the SW installed on the phone very well, and keeps every SW on the phone accessible with just 2-3 key presses (I just need to start typing the name of the app, and it pops up in 1-2 key-presses. It also displays mem used, left etc, and helps us to force the apps closed when we dont need them running.
Old 31st October 2008, 12:08   #175
BHPian

Hydrashock...

I got my E90 yesterday.

Some Observation on E90 compared to 9500:

1. noticed that in 9500, I can switch between the screens in message inbox view and use Ctrl+A/C/D/V for copy all, copy, delete, paste etc. .. In E90s I cannot

2. No esc key?

Probably more to come as I expore the phone.

Also, could you tell me how to set the GPS in this?

Any inputs/suggestions?
Old 31st October 2008, 12:14   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any inputs/suggestions?
Download & install Nokia Maploader on to your comp & connect the phone to the comp & start the maploader. This way you can download the maps & then use them on the Nokia Maps application in the phone. Activate the free navigation package that comes along with all Nokia GPS phones.
Old 1st November 2008, 16:24   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Download & install Nokia Maploader on to your comp & connect the phone to the comp & start the maploader. This way you can download the maps & then use them on the Nokia Maps application in the phone. Activate the free navigation package that comes along with all Nokia GPS phones.
Esteem_lover,
Posting from e90,
1. I have keypad marks on screen, will that go or in furture cause more damage?
2. The battery never says it's full, keeps charging
3. Gps working fine with google maps and built in nokia maps, upgraded to 2.0, but doesnt give me a route from start point and end point.

Please advice
Old 1st November 2008, 19:10   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. noticed that in 9500, I can switch between the screens in message inbox view and use Ctrl+A/C/D/V for copy all, copy, delete, paste etc. .. In E90s I cannot

2. No esc key?

1. You can switch between applications, but cannot switch between messages. That is, you can copy the contents of a message (after selecting "Forward") into say QuickWord. You can also open one message, use Options > Forward, then Ctrl+A the contents, Ctrl+C, close the message, open a new message and Ctrl + V the copied contents into it. You can't keep one message open in the background, open a new message and copy+paste the contents of the first message into the new message.

To switch between between various open applications, press & hold the menu button (the one on the top RHS of the inside keyboard, or the one nestled between the LHS softkey & the Green button of the outer keypad. When you pres & hold, you get a list of open apps. You can scroll between them with the D-Pad, and press the Accept button (in the middle of the D-Pad) to select that app.

2. Nope. No dedicated Esc. key. But the soft keys (usually the RHS one in the outer keypad, and the upper one to the RHS of the inner screen) act as the Esc. key, and take to one level backwards in the menu structure. This functions changes depending on the context. The Red key (inner & outer) acts as the "close the open app and go back to the desktop key".

3. Guess you have figured out the GPS. Best way to try it is with Google Maps or with the Nokia Maps.

Quote:
1. I have keypad marks on screen, will that go or in furture cause more damage?
2. The battery never says it's full, keeps charging
3. Gps working fine with google maps and built in nokia maps, upgraded to 2.0, but doesnt give me a route from start point and end point.
1. The keypad parks on the screen are a fact of life with the E90. Get a screenprotector for the inside screen and you are good to go. Do this asap. I'd recommend ScratchGard. The one I put on mine in July end (2007) is still going strong. A set (inner + outer) was Rs.500/- then.

2. The battery will show you a "Full" message with an audible beep once it is full. If you leave it charging, it will trickle-charge. That is, it will run on the battery for a short while, then charge for a short while while, run on the battery for a short while... and so on. This is why it looks like it is charging all the time. Mine usually charges to full within 1hr 20 mnts to 1 hr 30 mnts. I don't leave it charging once it is full. I don't leave it plugged-in to charge overnight either.

3. You will not be able to get Route-to-Route planning with Google Maps. Don't know how it is with Nokia Maps (don't use it). I use Mapmyindia's iNavLoaded for GPS & Mapping and that has all the bells and whistles like turn-by-turn prompts etc, in addition to route-to-route mapping.

Last edited by hydrashok : 1st November 2008 at 19:12.
Old 1st November 2008, 23:18   #179
Senior - BHPian

I love my E90 but still miss some old functions of the 9500, like in contacts with the screen open, say in Messages or Contacts, i cant flip between the screens by pressing the right direction on the direction button (if thats what its called).
I do have a 2Gb card but irritatingly there is a message that flashes which says i need to delete some data first. I tried saving in both, phone memory and data card but the damn message keeps showing up.

Also in the log or messages, there is no automatic find a message when i press an alphabet (like in the 9500) I have to use the sort button every time i want to find something. This also goes for the log, trying to search a particular message from someone.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:39   #180
BHPian

Thank you Hydrashok for all the answers and clarifications.

Finally, have got used to E90 and loving it every moment. It's def much much faster than 9500 in opening applications and all. Cam is good enough for recording videos or clicking photos.

Just one more query, Can I use a 4GB or higher capacity card ?

I saw in some forum that with the new firmware release , nokia is stating we can use upto 32GB card?

Link to the forums:
Nokia Support Discussions - E90 - memory card limit? - Eseries Devices and Communicators - Nokia Support Discussions

Can E90 support a 4GB CARD - All About Symbian Forums

Have you tried using 8GB or more on this phone? Need to check if this is real.

Last edited by inder_s1 : 3rd November 2008 at 11:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks