Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:12   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it still a good time to buy the E90? It's been a while since the phone's around, i haven't seen or heard of a new version in the pipeline yet, is there any?
Whats the current pricing? Subhiksha mobile website states 34.5k.. Any new colors?

Last edited by Sahil : 3rd November 2008 at 13:24.
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:45   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is it still a good time to buy the E90? It's been a while since the phone's around, i haven't seen or heard of a new version in the pipeline yet, is there any?
Whats the current pricing? Subhiksha mobile website states 34.5k.. Any new colors?
Hi Sahil,

Regarding launching a newer communicator than E90.. chk this link..

Techtree.com India > News > Gadgets > New Touch-based Communicator from Nokia

Nokia hints at new touch-based Communicator - Engadget

The Tech Chronicles: New touch-based communicator from Nokia?

But no official word and I think if they are planning it will be next year mid or later

yup.. the price for E90 is still around 34-35K .. chk the thread a bhpian has got it for 33k with 2GB card for free.

Last edited by inder_s1 : 3rd November 2008 at 14:50.
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:42   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
3. Gps working fine with google maps and built in nokia maps, upgraded to 2.0, but doesnt give me a route from start point and end point.

Please advice
You got to subscribe for that service. I had it for 2 months @ Rs.500/600 per month. The turn by turn instructions were amazing.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:31   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You got to subscribe for that service. I had it for 2 months @ Rs.500/600 per month. The turn by turn instructions were amazing.
cool, thx, will subscribe for it asap.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:46   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... 4GB or higher capacity card ?

I saw in some forum that with the new firmware release , nokia is stating we can use upto 32GB card?
The E90 takes microSDHC cards, so theoretically they say the limit is 32GB. 32GB SDHC cards don't exist yet, and 16GB was just recently announced.

I'm using an 8GB card with my E90 and I don't find any significant performance issues.I have about 1 GB space free. Most of the remaining space is taken up with movies (4 movies of an avg 800MB each). No music. I do have a lot of cartoons (thousands of image files) but as far as viewing images are concerned, I use Resco Photo Viewer, so viewing/managing images is a snap. The regular Gallery might cause the phone to hang if you have a lot of images in the phone. For the rest, I have a few ebooks, a few documents, my email storage and the Maps for the GPS on the card. I don't keep more than 100 SMS in the inbox, and that contributes to speed quite a bit.

If you really don't need all that memory I'd suggest you use a 4GB card in the phone.
Old 22nd November 2008, 15:30   #186
BHPian

The software upgrade has been announced. The sad part post the upgrade is that the activation key for blackberry needs to be re- registered on the handset.

Pretty smooth functioning of the phone post the upgrade, You have to back the phone up before the software upgrade, else you will loose the phone book.

Cheers

M M
Old 4th December 2008, 04:14   #187
BHPian

Latest update, of 26th Nov, (coinciding with terror attacks) the phone's (E90) backlight went for a toss, suspected culprit was some sweat on the phone on usage and which had percolated the outer cover (backlit part).

Given to Nokia care center, they said liquid damage, I screamed its sweat you m, got it back in 2 days time, with half the repair estimates.

Post the repair its functioning well,

FYI - Nokia will treat you like a king at their service centers on this phone, but its not apparent, the supervisors give a quote (most probably employed by Nokia) and the quote for repairs would be double of what you pay, you do get some priority queue at the only service center equipped to repair this piece.

Post repairs very happy with everything. Sad part is the liquid damage liability waiver on part of Nokia.

Cheers
M M
Old 4th December 2008, 11:36   #188
BHPian

Got the following on the phone as of now:

App: Resco Image Viewer Rating : 4.5/5
App: Adv. Call Mgr. Rating : 5/5
App: HandyClock Rating : 5/5
App: MGMaps Rating : 4.5/5

Rest from the download catalogs

Micro SD: Sandisk 8GB

Guys pls suggest a good Video Player and how do I convert movies in E90 screen resolution and which software is the best for the same.
Old 4th December 2008, 11:41   #189
Senior - BHPian

Its probably one of the best phones Nokia has come out.
Any Idea what the price is now?
When I bought it , it was Rs. 35000 and sometime back i heard it going for 34000.
Old 4th December 2008, 11:46   #190
BHPian

Its at 33000 now with Bill and Warranty saw it at Planet M. You could get it cheaper, look for a made in Finland or Korea piece if you can.

Cheers
M M
Old 4th December 2008, 11:51   #191
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info dude.
I do not want one , i own one.
Just wanted to see how the phone is doing after more than a year of existance.
Old 4th December 2008, 12:11   #192
BANNED

the resale is so bad. used ones popping close to 13-15k at max.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:18   #193
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone of you have 2.5mm to 3.5mm Converter Plug so that I can use my Sony Headset for listening to the songs.

Also curious to know , does a mini USB to mini USB cable exist?

I was wondering if I can use that cable and directly copy photos from my Digital Camera to my E90. Why not? Will i recognise mycam as an external drive ? That would be cool , dont you think??

It sounds whacky but if this is possible, it'll be great

Recently installed:

1. Core Media Player - but I'm not getting any sound while playing the movie? Any suggestions? Rating for Video Playback : 4.5/5

2. LCG Jukebox for music: 5/5

3. Divx Player : 3.5/5 .. sometimes the movie starts frame by frame all of a sudden in between playback

4. Irremote : hehe fun to use - 3.5/5

5. Ultimate Voice Recording - Not yet utilised fully

6. Kaspersky Anti-virus and anti-spam s/w - 5/5
Old 10th December 2008, 18:36   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys pls suggest a good Video Player and how do I convert movies in E90 screen resolution and which software is the best for the same.
Do go through these earlier posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post

1. To convert DeeVeeDees you own for your personal viewing pleasure in glorious 16:9 full-widescreen: SlySoft CloneDVD mobile | DVD to PSP, DVD to iVideo, DVD to ZEN

Great bit of SW. I downloaded it a few days back. The best thing is that it has a preset for the E90. So you needn't input any settings as far as input codec, output codec, output container, resolution, bit-rate, etc. are concerned. Its just a matter of slotting in the source material, selecting your screen-size preference (autosetting of resolution and cropping) & the file-size you're comfy with (autosetting of bitrate). It will add subtitles from the source if it has them (and if you want them).

The SW has a 21 day fully functional trial. I'm going to buy it for sure ($39, plus 20% discount till Aug 12th). A 2-hour movie came to 830MB at 836 kbps. No pixelation, nothing. Almost as good as the trailers I'd posted earlier. If you want quality similar to those trailers, you can do that also, but the size of the entire movie will be 1.5GB. Maybe after that 4GB microSDHC card comes out, I'll switch

2. To convert video files of home videos you happen to have lying around: SUPER © .

SUPER is super! It is freeware. It will convert nearly any format to any format. It is specifically meant for getting video onto mobiles (You can use this for any mobile phone, BTW).

I found that using the MP4 container and the MPEG-4 codec gives the best results (for me). Using the built-in RealPlayer gives way better results than the DivX player (I'd linked to it in an earlier post). Basically RealPlayer scales up smaller video files without jerking or loss of audio sync. DivX player causes a little pixelation and jerking when you view long video files in full screen.

Maybe future releases of DivX player will make things better. And CorePlayer (formerly known as TCPMP) is gearing up their release for Symbian S60 this month-end (already in advanced beta).

SUPER also gives pretty good results, file-size wise. But you need to choose:
- Output Codec
- Output container
- Video Bitrate
- Video Resolution
- Aspect Ratio
- Cropping
- Audio Codec
- Audio Bitrate
- Other misc settings (can be ignored).

A "Supered" 1 and a half hour file came to 753MB. If the aspect ratio of the source file is 16:9, lucky you, you can ask Super to not change the aspect ratio. Else it is a bit of trial and error if you don't want the black boxes when you play the file in the internal screen. I'm a total dunce on video so I really have no idea about calculating conversions etc. and most of the terminology also goes over my head. So trial-and-error with snippets of video is how I go.
Quote:

Here's another good video ripping utility WinMEnc: WinMEnc Free, like SUPER.

The good thing is, this one (WinMEnc) also rips from DVDs, unlike SUPER. And there's a really nice setting "Fit to width" and "Expand to Video Size" that crops the video to the required video-size (that you specify). The SW gets the cropping just right nearly all the time, unlike SUPER where you have to do some trial-and-error to get it right.

This SW is mostly just a GUI to control the excellent open-source MEncoder. But it does that job very well. Those who have a advanced knowledge of MEncoder's various magic words (I don't, heh, heh) will be able to do a lot of wonders with this SW.

Otherwise, I found the final results (quality-wise & size-wise) to be more or less the same between SUPER and WinMEnc.
As mentioned in the posts above, you will get best results from your built-in RealPlayer. But that means you will have to re-rip your video backups from DivX/XviD to MP4 using Super or WinMenc. WinMenc can rip your DVDs directly to MP4.

CorePlayer and LCG SmartMovie don't yet have the capability to use the built-in hardware acceleration. Only the RealPlayer does, as yet. The difference is very clear to see. Unless your videos are in 800x352, the player has to scale-up the videos to 800x352 whie viewing them in the internal screen and that causes a lot of jerking, pixelation & video-audio sync issues.

Last edited by hydrashok : 10th December 2008 at 18:37.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:15   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Do go through these earlier posts
Got it buddy...

will use the above player and report

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks