Team-BHP - The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/31260-digital-camera-thread-questions-discussions-etc-42.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe (Post 468435)
so if you had to choose between the nikon d80 cannon 400 and the pentax given you had the same requirements as me which one would you ?

For me it would be a tough choice between 400D and K10D.
I would go to the showroom, take a few pictures handle both cameras and see.
If I was in US. I would go to a store with no questions asked 15 day return policy, buy both cameras use them for a week and return the one I do not like.
Canon low noise tempts me, while on the Pentax its the IS which is very tempting along with the viewfinder.

in delhi where can i go and try em ?

wouldnt it be cheaper to buy this in BKK ?

Without B&W Delhi prices in Chandni chowk will be close to BKK. But then I have never been to Thailand. So just visit Pritam in Chandni chowk, or Alpha photo in Palika Bazaar and check out stuff.
BTW Pentax recently opened a showroom in Delhi. Do not know the address though. Olympus showroom is in Palika Bazaar itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 468304)
Tsk,

Regarding the pentax k100D, is it true that you can mount any darn pentax lens on it, and I think the shake reduction is on the body, so all the lenses automatically become IS?

That's true, but don't worry that much about IS. None of us dSLR users here (including Rudra) have IS, we all get by fine. It gives at the most 1-2 stops advantage, but we have tripods.

My advice is very simple, may be too simple.:) If you think you will eventually willing to spend more than Rs.2 lakhs on the dSLR setup, stick to Nikon or Canon. If you want to limit it within Rs. 2 lakhs, stick to Olympus or Pentax.

You may be wondering what's my logic behind this. In Canon/Nikon setup, to have a good body (say 30D/D80 or above) with full range of decent lenses, it will cost more than two lakhs. The entry level bodies in Canon/Nikon underdeliver compared to Olympus/Pentax of similar range. Both Olympus/Pentax have body based IS which turns every lens into IS lens. Olympus has very good anti-dust system, Pentax has great OVF. Good lenses from Olympus/Pentax cost much less, you can have full range of lenses for below two lakhs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 468249)
How about Fuji Fixepix S9100(9600). That has hot shoe?

It is as bulky as the R1. I want it to be compact enough to go in my latop bag. my laptop is a IBM T41p (sys admin says I am due for an upgradtion - i told him to go fish. I am not installing all my laptop software all over again - i dont even know what i have).

using dpreview's search feature I looked for a camera under 350gms with a hot shoe and a <28 mm lens and the only option was the GX100. If I get less tringent and go to a 35-140 lens I get only Canon and some older Oly as options.

BTW on the Canon A640 where is the hot shoe? or do I have to add the HF-DC1 which attaches to the camera via a bracket?
Canon PowerShot A640 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Navin, no hot shoe, I dunno how will you put externel flash.

Samu, about IS, I have missed a lot of shots due to lack of IS inspite of having very usable ISO 1600.
If I did not have a canon on Singapore trip you would not have seen any good night safari or bird part pics!

Pentax K10d/K100D have IS in built and have decent ISO performance too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 468901)
Samu, about IS, I have missed a lot of shots due to lack of IS inspite of having very usable ISO 1600.
Pentax K10d/K100D have IS in built and have decent ISO performance too.

Tanveer, are you considering defecting the Canon camp?lol: Well, I don't think Canon will offer body IS in near future. So, Olympus/Pentax sure looks attractive.

given all the req what are the 1 / 2 lenses that you will buy ..... that are a must have ? i am assuming the cannon 50mm f/1.8 Prime n what else given you will be taking shots of family nature landscape etc

The Canon 50mm is effectively 80mm on the dSLR, not much of a normal lens actually.

Yes, you need some thing in 28 or 30 mm. There is sigma 30mm, but kind of costly i guess. At lest not as cheap as 50/1.8.

Olympus E-510 has started shipping...:Cheering:

Eagerly waiting for some professional reviews, not that I am planning to upgrade to this. But this will give indications about what can be expected from the E1 successor named P1. No news about it since March.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 468527)
That's true, but don't worry that much about IS. None of us dSLR users here (including Rudra) have IS, we all get by fine. It gives at the most 1-2 stops advantage, but we have tripods.

My advice is very simple, may be too simple.:) If you think you will eventually willing to spend more than Rs.2 lakhs on the dSLR setup, stick to Nikon or Canon. If you want to limit it within Rs. 2 lakhs, stick to Olympus or Pentax.

You may be wondering what's my logic behind this. In Canon/Nikon setup, to have a good body (say 30D/D80 or above) with full range of decent lenses, it will cost more than two lakhs. The entry level bodies in Canon/Nikon underdeliver compared to Olympus/Pentax of similar range. Both Olympus/Pentax have body based IS which turns every lens into IS lens. Olympus has very good anti-dust system, Pentax has great OVF. Good lenses from Olympus/Pentax cost much less, you can have full range of lenses for below two lakhs.

Thanks a lot for the advice samurai. No, I don't intend to spend about 2 lakhs atleast till I make some money! :D. So I guess I will stick to Olympus/Pentax. Are there any cameras from olympus similar to the K100D? With IS and ability to be able to mount any lens made by olympus?

kodak has designed a new sensor for ditital cameras which is 2-4 times more sensitive for low loght. it will be used in P$S and mobile cameras by 2008 first quarter as per news report in today's TOI and ET

The Olympus E-410, the lesser sibling of E-510 has very good reviews.

Olympus E-410 EVOLT Review: 27. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review

The only significant weakness is small OVF like the earlier ones. But one can get used to it, I don't even notice it until I try shooting macros or do manual focusing. The E-510 too has similar sized OVF I think, but it has pentaprism instead of pentamirror.

Hellwrath, wait for E-510 reviews, it has started shipping. It has IS, live preview & Anti-Dust. No other dSLR can claim all 3 of these features.

Samurai,

Thanks a lot. I will be getting my camera only by next year, or by december this year. So have loads of time to read, research and make my choice. :)